OT: Pfft Do You Even Healthy Body Transformation? (General Lounge Style Discussion)

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Sometimes these bumps in the road you encounter could be opportunities to try something new. Maybe some new core work, maybe some yoga? (Gary Roberts recommends haha).

And why in the world does your MRI results take over a month?
I finally got the results of the mri, i think it was mostly due to the holidays the amount of time i needed to wait. Anyway, the verdict is that i tore my acl, meniscus and have a grade 1 sprain of mcl. I was told i need surgery and cant play hockey for likely 9 months minimum. I can stand on it now and they mentioned i could actually do the elliptical if i wanted to but not treadmill or walking.

I had been trying to walk at least 5 miles a day for the past few weeks but after talking to the doctor he told me not to push it...apparently for every pound of body weight, im putting 3 pounds on my knee.

I'm gonna try and focus on my diet, although its hard right now.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Just starting to train for a 10km event in April. Never done something like this before, should be interesting. I know I can walk 10km at a decent pace without stopping, so not finishing isn't a concern lol. What I want to see is how much running I can do during it, and what my time would be. What would be a good target, under 1:20?

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Posting for accountability. I really want to get back to a steady diet of sweat and iron. Four years ago I let law school interrupt my relatively healthy lifestyle and since then it has been a series of excuses. Fortunately I'm not far from where I want to be so it's just a matter of developing the habit again. Put in two really great workouts over the weekend and have that nice soreness today. Legs and triceps tonight, then a well-deserved rest day tomorrow.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Posting for accountability. I really want to get back to a steady diet of sweat and iron. Four years ago I let law school interrupt my relatively healthy lifestyle and since then it has been a series of excuses. Fortunately I'm not far from where I want to be so it's just a matter of developing the habit again. Put in two really great workouts over the weekend and have that nice soreness today. Legs and triceps tonight, then a well-deserved rest day tomorrow.

What's your routine?

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
Been working out for a month, haven't really done this since 2013 where I was obsessed with it. But I have taken 3 days off, but I'm noticing some gains. I'm hovering under the 180lb mark at 5'7 so I'm a bit stocky. Hope everyone is killing their goals. I've been pretty busy these days so it's hard to find a balance.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
What's your routine?

Saturday - Chest, Biceps, Abs
  • Bench Press / Preacher Curl - 4 sets x 10-12 reps
  • Incline Bench Press / Standing Curl - 4 sets x 10-12 reps
  • Flies / Reverse Curl - 4 sets x 10-12 reps
  • Pec Dec - 4 sets x 10-12 reps
  • Barbell Curl - 4 sets x 10-12 reps
  • Abs
Sunday - Shoulders and Back
  • Military Press / Pull Up - 4 sets x 10-12 reps
  • Shrug / Rows - 4 sets x 10-12 reps
  • Upright Row / Lat Raise - 4 sets x 10-12 reps
  • Back Hammer Exercise - 4 sets x 10-12 reps
  • Lat Pull Down - 4 sets x 10-12 reps
Monday - Legs, Triceps, Calves
  • Dumbbell Squat / Tricep Extension - 4 sets x 10-12 reps
  • Hack Squat / Dip - 4 sets x 10-12 reps
  • Leg Extension / Tricep Kickback - 4 sets x 10-12 reps
  • Leg Curl 4 sets x 10-12 reps
  • Cable Pull-Down 4 sets x 10-12 reps
  • Calf Raises
Tuesday - Rest

Wednesday - Full Body
  • I randomly pick different chest, bicep, back, and tricep exercises different from the rest of the week and have at it to my pleasure.
  • Abs
Thursday and Friday - Rest

Definitely room for optimization but I'm not ready for that yet. Right now I'm focused on getting a nice pump and enjoying myself. Once the habit is fully developed again, I'll begin tweaking the program.

Last edited:

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
On the verge of some PB's (which are still pathetically low lol) in a couple lifts, looking forward to the gym this week.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
On the verge of some PB's (which are still pathetically low lol) in a couple lifts, looking forward to the gym this week.
Achieved a sad new PB on Squats of 125 lbs. for 5x5. Reached the point of the 5x5 program where theoretically I should hit a new PB every workout, but I'm sure there will be a couple stall days in there.

Same on deadlift, 145 lbs. for 1x5.

Weakling.jpg

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Achieved a sad new PB on Squats of 125 lbs. for 5x5. Reached the point of the 5x5 program where theoretically I should hit a new PB every workout, but I'm sure there will be a couple stall days in there.

Same on deadlift, 145 lbs. for 1x5.

Weakling.jpg

I feel as though thats what Geddy Lee looked like when he was 15 lol

Reactions: Mrb1p

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Finally hit that 135 lbs. Squat milestone. I know it's an arbitrary number, but there's something satisfying about just putting one big weight on each side rather than a whole bunch of smaller ones. Can't remember if I ever squated a plate before, possible back in high school (11-12 years ago) when I was training for sports. And for some reason this session felt easier than than the last couple at 125 and 130. Maybe something about a Saturday morning workout on an empty stomach vs. 8pm a couple hours after the big meal of the day. I was going right after work for a while but 5-6 seemed to be the busiest time for my gym with just 1 squat rack, later in the evening was a lot quieter. Might have to suck it up if it means more effective workouts.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
I tried to go back to the gym for the first time since my knee injury, the first 15 minutes on the elliptical had me pretty nervous. I know i completely tore my acl so no risk of hurting it more, and the doctor told me i could do elliptical and a stationery bike.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
I need to deadlift again. Haven’t done so in a year.

Got my deadlift up to 405 lbs last year but I’m scared to see how much weaker I’ve gotten.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Focusing on a free handstand has opened up so many new doors for me:

1. Revamped my core training. Now focusing on more static work, such as developing a solid hollow body position. That also led to me balancing out my core work with more lower back work, such as Supermans and Bridging. Now training core 5 days/week instead of 2-3 and have noticed a huge difference.

2. Night and day shoulder mobility. I used to think that shoulder mobility work was for idiots who overwork their shoulders and want to continue to do so. I was very much wrong. Probably 85% of my handstand training is devoted to stretching and mobility work. This has made an unbelievable difference in my range of motion, which benefits not only the handstand, but also other lifts such as pull ups and push ups. For someone who demands a lot out of their shoulders, this was exactly what my body needed.

3. Rings. Why haven't I been using rings for the past 15 years?!? Single best training tool I've gotten in a very long time. Originally got them for horizontal rowing, but then I started doing push ups and other exercises on them. Over the weekend I decided to test out my newly mobile shoulders and did my first pain-free dips in over 5 years. Dips used to be my #1 exercise and I was devastated to have to give them up after they started causing me shoulder pain. While doing them on rings is certainly harder, it may also be safer since the range of motion isn't fixed by the bar? Either way I'm ecstatic to be able to do them again and will take it slow.

TLDR: always keep an open mind about your training and how it can evolve/adapt to both your body and your fitness needs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Samuel Culper III

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Read McMaster University's study on protein and protein supplements.

a) protein supplements significantly improve strength and size in adults who lift weights, and increases with resistance training experience but is less effective as you get older.

b) the benefits of protein actually plateau probably much sooner than some would have been led to believe, 1.6 grams per KG (in a 170 pound person, that'd be 123 grams of protein a day).

c) timing does not matter, and having a protein shake vs. a steak doesn't make a difference either.

personally was kind of surprised to see the protein so low, mostly because I've been so used to eating 1 gram per pound of body weight rather than KG. Also was surprised to see the recommended daily intake is only 56 grams for a male who doesn't train and 46 for a female. Just something interesting I came across tonight.

Reactions: Aeroforce

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Focusing on a free handstand has opened up so many new doors for me:

1. Revamped my core training. Now focusing on more static work, such as developing a solid hollow body position. That also led to me balancing out my core work with more lower back work, such as Supermans and Bridging. Now training core 5 days/week instead of 2-3 and have noticed a huge difference.

2. Night and day shoulder mobility. I used to think that shoulder mobility work was for idiots who overwork their shoulders and want to continue to do so. I was very much wrong. Probably 85% of my handstand training is devoted to stretching and mobility work. This has made an unbelievable difference in my range of motion, which benefits not only the handstand, but also other lifts such as pull ups and push ups. For someone who demands a lot out of their shoulders, this was exactly what my body needed.

3. Rings. Why haven't I been using rings for the past 15 years?!? Single best training tool I've gotten in a very long time. Originally got them for horizontal rowing, but then I started doing push ups and other exercises on them. Over the weekend I decided to test out my newly mobile shoulders and did my first pain-free dips in over 5 years. Dips used to be my #1 exercise and I was devastated to have to give them up after they started causing me shoulder pain. While doing them on rings is certainly harder, it may also be safer since the range of motion isn't fixed by the bar? Either way I'm ecstatic to be able to do them again and will take it slow.

TLDR: always keep an open mind about your training and how it can evolve/adapt to both your body and your fitness needs.

For rings, do you mean these things?
886131_7d85ccab-a600-4f95-a219-899efd295bbc.jpg
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

How do you do pushups on those? Where do you hang them from?

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
For rings, do you mean these things?
886131_7d85ccab-a600-4f95-a219-899efd295bbc.jpg
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
How do you do pushups on those? Where do you hang them from?

Yep, that's them. I drilled two eyebolts (shoulder-width apart) into the door frame to attach the gymnastics rings to. Make sure you drill into the stud, obviously. Rings attached to adjustable nylon straps can be had off of eBay for $22. Add two carabiners and they can easily be removed from the eyebolts when you are not using them.

For push ups just set the length of the nylon straps so that the rings are 2-3 inches from the floor. Check out the video below so you know how to grab the rings and lockout properly.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Strong as hell, but you never know, these sneaky rings always scared me :laugh:

You could put a pillow down or wear a helmet? :)

Seriously brah, I *wish* I had started training this way when I was your age. You could always start on your knees or with the rings higher up until you get a handle on the instability they induce. There are so many other great exercises to do on them, too:

1. Ring Dips
2. Bulgarian Rows
3. Hinge Rows
4. Pull Ups
5. Front/Back Lever
6. Muscle Ups (someday)

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I always do some variation of core/shoulders/pec/tri work on these but ive been battling a nasty shoulder injury that basically shrugged off hundreds of pounds off my bench, im staying away from any works thats too streneous.. i even stopped my handstand work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->