OT: Pfft Do You Even Healthy Body Transformation? (General Lounge Style Discussion)

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
This forum has been pretty dead over the summer.

Personally, got under 190 lbs. for the first time this last week. Interesting to see how the fall goes for me though, as I am coaching football and that is 4 days a week, won't have much time for the gym, hiking or biking which I do a ton of over the spring/summer. Might just stop the gym routine for a while, was down to barely managing once a week with the current schedule. Season ends in November, so should have lots of time to pick it up again.

Might be nice to take a break for a while, I don't like half-assing things either. I'd like to start thinking about a program to start come November though. One that focuses on burning fat and strength gains, while working out 3 times a week. Nothing too time consuming, but I can easily commit an hour 3 days a week. Anyone have some suggestions for something like that? Maybe one that really gets into detail of nutrition and timing as well (when to eat, when to eat protein, when to eat carbs, ect.).

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
This forum has been pretty dead over the summer.

Personally, got under 190 lbs. for the first time this last week. Interesting to see how the fall goes for me though, as I am coaching football and that is 4 days a week, won't have much time for the gym, hiking or biking which I do a ton of over the spring/summer. Might just stop the gym routine for a while, was down to barely managing once a week with the current schedule. Season ends in November, so should have lots of time to pick it up again.

Might be nice to take a break for a while, I don't like half-assing things either. I'd like to start thinking about a program to start come November though. One that focuses on burning fat and strength gains, while working out 3 times a week. Nothing too time consuming, but I can easily commit an hour 3 days a week. Anyone have some suggestions for something like that? Maybe one that really gets into detail of nutrition and timing as well (when to eat, when to eat protein, when to eat carbs, ect.).

Don't be too overly concerned about not getting to workout/hike/bike. It sounds like coaching football is going to take up a lot of your time, which is a good thing. The most important thing is that you're keeping yourself busy and don't have time to think about food. That's pretty much half the battle when it comes to losing/maintaining weight. The other half of the battle is to not over-eat when you do eat and from previous posts, it sounds like you have that under control.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Don't be too overly concerned about not getting to workout/hike/bike. It sounds like coaching football is going to take up a lot of your time, which is a good thing. The most important thing is that you're keeping yourself busy and don't have time to think about food. That's pretty much half the battle when it comes to losing/maintaining weight. The other half of the battle is to not over-eat when you do eat and from previous posts, it sounds like you have that under control.

I am very happy where I am with my diet, I think I have found a great balance that is sustainable for the medium-long term.

Once football ends, I do want to get back at a workout program though, because I really enjoyed it when I was doing it regularly, and I want to get in much better shape in terms of fitness and strength, not just weight loss. That is why I want to start researching and thinking about a program to start once I have a bunch of free time again.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Stronglifts 5x5. Guaranteed to increase strength and reduce fat if done challengingly and consistently.

Nutrient timing is almost completely irrelevant.
Get the amount of macros you determine necessary. A good quality meal.post workout is the main one that will make a difference.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Stronglifts 5x5. Guaranteed to increase strength and reduce fat if done challengingly and consistently.

Nutrient timing is almost completely irrelevant.
Get the amount of macros you determine necessary. A good quality meal.post workout is the main one that will make a difference.

Took a quick look at that one. If I am reading it right, you do Squats 3 times a week, but only 3 total lifts each workout?

Mon: Squats, Bench, Row
Wed: Squats, OH Press, Deadlift
Fri: Squats, Bench, Row
Mon: Squats, OH Press, Deadlift
ect...

Interesting.

What kind of cardio regime would be recommended with this type of program?

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Took a quick look at that one. If I am reading it right, you do Squats 3 times a week, but only 3 total lifts each workout?

Mon: Squats, Bench, Row
Wed: Squats, OH Press, Deadlift
Fri: Squats, Bench, Row
Mon: Squats, OH Press, Deadlift
ect...

Interesting.

What kind of cardio regime would be recommended with this type of program?

It's a powerlifting split. Theres no cardio regime for that :laugh:.

But sled, ropes, HIIT can all be used.

I like to think of my cardio as off days though. I hike a lot of mountain, play alot of tennis, hockey, etc. That all counts towards my cardio. You won't see me on a spinner ever.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Yeah sorry I dont do Cardio at the gym ever, aside from burpees. Real life fun "cardio" is better.

That routine is for strength, and you can def add exercises as you deem fit. For instance I used to add dips and flys on bench day and pull ups on deadlift day.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Yeah sorry I dont do Cardio at the gym ever, aside from burpees. Real life fun "cardio" is better.

That routine is for strength, and you can def add exercises as you deem fit. For instance I used to add dips and flys on bench day and pull ups on deadlift day.

Yeah after I posted that I read through the site some more and watched a couple videos. Those three exercises can certainly be a full workout all on their own. Might just give this a try once football ends.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I would literally dread going to the gym every day doing 5x5. While I give it credit for being very simple, it's boring as hell. That would drive me from going to the gym.

But to each their own.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I would literally dread going to the gym every day doing 5x5. While I give it credit for being very simple, it's boring as hell. That would drive me from going to the gym.

But to each their own.

True, however I was doing and ABABABAB schedule for the last few months when I was getting too busy to go to the gym 3 days a week, and it wouldn't say boredom of the workouts was an issue. In fact I liked doing the same lifts at least once a week because it was easier to see my progress.

I think I could get through the 12 weeks like it recommends, and then from there try something different if I need to.

Cory Trevor

Smokes, Let's go
Sep 23, 2009
Waltham
102 day on this path. Been challenging at times but mentally its been positive. 38 pounds down. The first picture is before and the other is at 25 lbs down. The third is now at 38 pounds down.

IMG_4615.JPG
IMG_5603.JPG

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
One month in of Paleo (Primal Blueprint really) + 5/3/1 and seeing tremendous results.

blue425

Apr 14, 2007
NYC
www.streetwars.net
Keep going Corey. Patience is everything:D

Crease - First got turned onto the PB 5 years ago. It transformed into more of a eat real food type diet, but I noticed some stuff creeping back in. Doing a reset right now. Feel great, workouts are still improving and my BF has dropped at least a %. Stick with it and best of luck.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Just starting up the StrongLifts 5x5 workout that was recommended to me by people here this week. Looking forward to being back in the gym regularly for the first time in a while.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Just starting up the StrongLifts 5x5 workout that was recommended to me by people here this week. Looking forward to being back in the gym regularly for the first time in a while.

Not trying to be rude, but it seems like most of your posts have a statement similar to this in them. If you don't (lifestyle) diet and train consistently, you aren't going to come close to what you are capable of. Additionally, it'll only get harder and harder to "hit the switch" and you'll be more likely to give up completely. Don't let a healthy body transformation be a part-time job!

Reactions: blue425

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Not trying to be rude, but it seems like most of your posts have a statement similar to this in them. If you don't (lifestyle) diet and train consistently, you aren't going to come close to what you are capable of. Additionally, it'll only get harder and harder to "hit the switch" and you'll be
more likely to give up completely. Don't let a healthy body transformation be a part-time job!
Not being rude, just incorrect.

I had been hitting the gym regularly for the better part of the last year, save for the last couple months. I was working out regularly from Nov/16-Feb/17, sustained an injury in March, got back on the wagon in April pretty much through to about Mid-July, when me schedule made it tougher. I was at best able to go once a week, so I decided to put it off until now, which I am able to commit to 3 days a week again.

Like anything else, this is a hobby. I am not looking to become "ripped" or "jacked" or become a fitness freak. It is a hobby that I enjoy in moderation as long as my schedule allows it. I have many hobbies, hiking, biking, golf, and others non-fitness related. Those are best enjoyed in the summer, so in the winter it is easiest to turn to working out more regularly. I know people who are gym rats that will sacrifice a lot of things to get their workout in. That is not me. I am not that serious about it. I am extremely happy with the progress I made over the last 14 months. Going from 265 lbs. to 190 lbs. was no small feat, I am very proud of myself for this. It has given me the confidence and energy to take on these hobbies more aggressively. But at the end of the day, moderation is key for me. I have a variety of interests. Some more important than others, and working out at the gym is low on that list.

I fully understand that I am not going to get the absolute best results possible doing it this way. I am more than OK with that. It gives me the best possible enjoyment, and that's what matters to me.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
recently started a push-pull-leg split. I'm kind of indifferent on it. I may switch back to my original chest-triceps, back-biceps, shoulders-legs split I was rolling with before and then taking an off-day after that and restarting from the beginning. With PPL I'm kind of just going everyday unless I need a rest if my body feels it which is a pro. I don't know.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Looks like I'm ready for a small, lean bulk over the next couple months. I was around 160lbs last Spring and slowly brought myself down to 154 by the end of racing season. This seems to be my new baseline, as I've been averaging nearly 3,600 calories/day just to (barely) maintain my weight. My metabolism must be totally jacked at this point. Anyway, just looking to gain around 3-5 lean pounds over the next 2-3 months, hold it for a month or so, and then get back down to 155. I'm just under 5'9" for reference.

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com
how often do u guys misrack the plates (adding too much or forget to add) or miss counts the reps and end up doing one more/less?
seems to be the trend for me for the last few wks..like today, i ended up doing 10ibs more than what i planned( which shouldve been just 5) still ended up rep pr for me though so yay?

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
I think i tore some tendons in my knee at the start of December, waiting for the mri results which i wont get until the 8th. Im losing my mind as prior to my injury i was waking up at 5 in the morning and going to the gym, then hitting it again after work and was feeling great. The knee injury has basically stopped me from working out/running, or playing ice hockey which i was doing two times a week.

Im at my highest weight since i lost 150 pounds about 8 years ago. Most of it is due to a more sedentary and stressful lifestyle the last year and a half. Anyway, im super bummed and my diet has been pretty bad, so im trying to focus on fixing the diet. Im trying to eat more protein, less carbs, drink more water and try to cut out some of my beer drinking.

I really can't wait until my knee starts feeling better, i've been trying to make an effort to walk more. I got an apple watch for Christmas, and its made me more conscious about walking and excercising. I'm averaging around 5.5 miles per day but would like to do more once my knee heels. i don't want to to push it.

Diet so far today

Water
Scrambled Eggs + Bacon
Zero Cal Energy Drink
Water
Roasted Chicken + Spinach + pickles, cucumber, tomato salad bowl for lunch.
Diet Iced Tea
Water
Muscle Milk
Skinny Pop Popcorn

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I think i tore some tendons in my knee at the start of December, waiting for the mri results which i wont get until the 8th. Im losing my mind as prior to my injury i was waking up at 5 in the morning and going to the gym, then hitting it again after work and was feeling great. The knee injury has basically stopped me from working out/running, or playing ice hockey which i was doing two times a week.

Im at my highest weight since i lost 150 pounds about 8 years ago. Most of it is due to a more sedentary and stressful lifestyle the last year and a half. Anyway, im super bummed and my diet has been pretty bad, so im trying to focus on fixing the diet. Im trying to eat more protein, less carbs, drink more water and try to cut out some of my beer drinking.

I really can't wait until my knee starts feeling better, i've been trying to make an effort to walk more. I got an apple watch for Christmas, and its made me more conscious about walking and excercising. I'm averaging around 5.5 miles per day but would like to do more once my knee heels. i don't want to to push it.

Diet so far today

Water
Scrambled Eggs + Bacon
Zero Cal Energy Drink
Water
Roasted Chicken + Spinach + pickles, cucumber, tomato salad bowl for lunch.
Diet Iced Tea
Water
Muscle Milk
Skinny Pop Popcorn

Sometimes these bumps in the road you encounter could be opportunities to try something new. Maybe some new core work, maybe some yoga? (Gary Roberts recommends haha).

And why in the world does your MRI results take over a month?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->