OT: OLN Close to Boxing Deal

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Thursday Nights....you know what kind of fights you get on a Thursday Night?

OLN is better served spending money somewhere else

Old Hickory

go kim johnsson 514 said:

I think I read something somehwhere once that the NHL gets a chunk of change for each additional sport OLN signs up

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
kingsjohn said:
I think I read something somehwhere once that the NHL gets a chunk of change for each additional sport OLN signs up

Sign me up!!!

X0ssbar

Another positive step for OLN as they build their programming portfolio. This thing doesn't happen over night.

Phil333

Dec 26, 2003
New York City
Thursday night boxing really won't be great but anything to expand the portfolio of sports for OLN is a step in the right direction.

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
Actually boxing is one of the worst sports ever. Nothing like seeing a couple guys punching either in the face trying to knock each other out all while sustaining brain damage. Anyway, oln is a disaster. I can't believe people are trying to justify the nhl being on that half-*** station.

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
Does anyone think the change with OLN in the States, will ever affect the OLN Canada? I wish OLN Canada would simulcast the hockey and arena football, as they already do with the Tour de France.

Roke

Jul 21, 2003
Winnipeg
Shootmaster_44 said:
Does anyone think the change with OLN in the States, will ever affect the OLN Canada? I wish OLN Canada would simulcast the hockey and arena football, as they already do with the Tour de France.

I believe OLN Canada's license prevents them from showing "stick and ball sports"... or something along those lines.

La Grosse Tendresse

Sep 19, 2005
Rouyn-Noranda
Roke said:
I believe OLN Canada's license prevents them from showing "stick and ball sports"... or something along those lines.
OLN Canada is owned by Bell Globemedia, the same people as TSN. They don't want to compete with each other and probably can't due to their license (CRTC doesn't want it to turn into TSN2). Plus, the OLN contract for the NHL and AFL is only for the States, TSN/CBC have exclusive national rights for the NHL in Canada, and... well... who care about the AFL anyway??

Bell Globemedia simply have the right to use the OLN name and logo, but apart from that their programming differs unless both channels have the rights to the same event/show, then they can obviously share the production (ala Tour de France).

So no, it probably won't affect OLN Canada, who is more limited in terms of their license and who doesn't have as big a budget either.

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
You're right about the license. I checked the CRTC's website and they attempted to add stick and ball sports and were turned down by the CRTC, they are only allowed to broadcast professional sports that are outside of the mainstream. I do enjoy arena football and wonder if the CRTC would be upset if they added it as its technically a different sport than conventional football. But the boxing OLN Canada could show if they so chose according to the way their license was amended I believe. I guess I should've done my own homework first.

Out of curiosity, why did the NHL restrict itself to the CBC and TSN. I realize it had to do with money, but I don't recall when the tv deal was negotiated, but if it was during or after the lockout why not allow each network to have assigned days for hockey and therefore profit from all the networks concerned? Essentially, aside from playoffs CBC and TSN essentially only show games on certain nights, why wouldn't the NHL allow Sportsnet to take Tuesdays or The Score to show Thursdays? Also, since CTV owns TSN could TSN shift some of its playoff broadcasts to CTV and not be in violation of its deal with the NHL? I assume that's how the NHL Network shows games. (Yes, I realize the NHL is in partnership with Bell Globalmedia. But I assume that is why they are in partnership is due to the TSN-NHL deal.)

My brain is going on tangents tonight so you'll have to forgive me, but was it the NHL's deal with CBC and I believe it was Sportsnet at the time, that caused The Score's Ice Surfing to be shut down? I enjoyed that feature and I don't recall the NHL Network doing it nearly as well as The Score used to.

X0ssbar

ScottyBowman said:
Actually boxing is one of the worst sports ever. Nothing like seeing a couple guys punching either in the face trying to knock each other out all while sustaining brain damage. Anyway, oln is a disaster. I can't believe people are trying to justify the nhl being on that half-*** station.

Posters like you should read articles like these before making (insert adjective) comments:

When the OLN network launched its hockey coverage in the fall of 2005, the first reaction from many observers was, uh, oh, this could be a long season. The audio was erratic and the studio set was barebones.

Fortunately for NHL fans and OLN, everything has improved as the Stanley Cup playoffs near. Further good news: OLN hopes to air playoff games every night.

"We had four or five weeks basically to prepare," Marc Fein, OLN's senior vice president of programming and production, said from his Stamford, Conn., office. "We had no time to build a (studio) set. You're only as strong as your weakest link. But everyone pulled together and got the right people on board. We're pretty happy and proud, especially recently, how the telecasts have been."

Fein, who previously worked for Fox SportsNet in Los Angeles, has recruited top personnel such as the lead game twosome of Mike Emrick and John Davidson. Bill Clement, the former Flyers center, has seized on his first studio hosting job and run with it.

"We had a lot of greenhorns, including me in my position," Clement said.

Clement has years of TV experience as a game analyst, but he's new to the studio host role.

"When I started this," Clement said, "I got a call from one of the higher-ups at ESPN. He said, `Don't expect things to happen overnight. It took us three years, when we got hockey back in the early 1990s, before we felt we had the product where we wanted it.'

"We were like an expansion team that, all of a sudden, has become a playoff threat right away. I'm thrilled at the progress we've made."

http://www.philadelphiaflyers.com/pressbox/BillFleischman/2546.asp

OLN had five weeks to prepare for the NHL and is in its first of televising major league sports. There is no questioning their production has improved drastically since the beginning. Just b/c the letters don't say "ESPN" doesn't mean these guys aren't doing a great job.

..and as far as boxing..you do realize the NHL still has fighting in its game right? You do also realize boxing is a form of fighting correct? So by saying boxing is one of the worst sports ever your essentially saying you don't like fighting in the game of hockey?

Last edited by a moderator:

La Grosse Tendresse

Sep 19, 2005
Rouyn-Noranda
Shootmaster_44 said:
Out of curiosity, why did the NHL restrict itself to the CBC and TSN. I realize it had to do with money, but I don't recall when the tv deal was negotiated, but if it was during or after the lockout why not allow each network to have assigned days for hockey and therefore profit from all the networks concerned? Essentially, aside from playoffs CBC and TSN essentially only show games on certain nights, why wouldn't the NHL allow Sportsnet to take Tuesdays or The Score to show Thursdays? Also, since CTV owns TSN could TSN shift some of its playoff broadcasts to CTV and not be in violation of its deal with the NHL? I assume that's how the NHL Network shows games. (Yes, I realize the NHL is in partnership with Bell Globalmedia. But I assume that is why they are in partnership is due to the TSN-NHL deal.)

My brain is going on tangents tonight so you'll have to forgive me, but was it the NHL's deal with CBC and I believe it was Sportsnet at the time, that caused The Score's Ice Surfing to be shut down? I enjoyed that feature and I don't recall the NHL Network doing it nearly as well as The Score used to.
The NHL, like just about every major sport except for the NFL, deal with exclusive rights, mostly because they can get more money that way. In fact, if the NHL was on every night, HNIC and NHL on TSN wouldn't get as big ratings as people could see hockey every night. Plus, on nights where hockey is not on TSN, it garantees them that it is not on Sportsnet or TheScore (except for regional games, obviously), thus helping out wathever they decide to show instead.

TSN/Bell have the exclusive national cable rights while CBC has the network rights, just like OLN and NBC in the States respectively. CTV will probably get the rights from the CBC one day, as the public broadcaster won't be able to keep on trying to compete IMO. The same thing happened with the Olympics where they lost the rights to CTV I think.

If TheScore's Ice Surfing disappeared, it's probably due to the NHL Network doing it and getting some kind of prefferential treatment by the NHL, such as exclusive rights to do it.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
WEEB said:
The NHL, like just about every major sport except for the NFL, deal with exclusive rights, mostly because they can get more money that way.

If you're talking about national network TV you're right. If you're talking about cable, the NBA also has a deal with TNT.

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
go kim johnsson 514 said:

How many YEARS did USA have "Tuesday Night Fights"?? Wasn't it like 20? And those were alwys good fights. There a ton of boxers who got their start there.

ESPN used to have Thursday nights fights as well, in the early 90's, the only summer nights it did not air baseball.

Boxing is a simple (and cheap) sport to add. OLN adding boxing isn't a bad idea.

My only question, with boxing going to OLN, will Max Kellerman soon follow??

ExplosiveLEAFman

Jan 6, 2004
OLN isn't going to pick up too many "casual" fans with this boxing series but for hardcore fans, it will be interesting to see what type of matchups they come up with. The budget being discussed for this oln boxing series is much greater than what ESPN currently is spending on their friday/tuesday night fights.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Spydey629 said:
My only question, with boxing going to OLN, will Max Kellerman soon follow??

Max Kellerman is like an annoying pop song...you can't get rid of him.

I wonder if they can get either Jim Lampley or Steve Albert to do their broadcasts

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad