OT: OT Non-Ski Resort Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
How many people on here have actually met others from here in real life?

I've met up with mossey and PC a couple years ago. Good people. Also participated in a couple of the HF Shinny games that Mr. C has hosted at 8-Rinks. billvanseattle is another guy I've seen a couple times. Nice guy, good conversation even if we disagreed on some things.

It's funny how much more respectful people are offline.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
You didn't say sandwich! :mad:

I prefer panini's...

I've met up with mossey and PC a couple years ago. Good people. Also participated in a couple of the HF Shinny games that Mr. C has hosted at 8-Rinks. billvanseattle is another guy I've seen a couple times. Nice guy, good conversation even if we disagreed on some things.

Yes I met a few playing in Mr. C's hockey at 8 rinks. Was good time, we all enjoyed grabbing beers after.

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County

That’s cool! I always try to think about these posters as real people and TRY not to be too harsh. I think actually getting to know people more for real and understanding they’re human helps conversations online a hell of a lot. Wouldn’t mind a thread where we can get to know people on a bit more of a personal level. A “Hi, my name is ...” thread.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
That’s cool! I always try to think about these posters as real people and TRY not to be too harsh. I think actually getting to know people more for real and understanding they’re human helps conversations online a hell of a lot. Wouldn’t mind a thread where we can get to know people on a bit more of a personal level. A “Hi, my name is ...” thread.
Well now is as good a time as any....

Hi there Slads.....My name is "Hit my post" and I'm unemployed & I live with my parents....

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
Well now is as good a time as any....

Hi there Slads.....My name is "Hit my post" and I'm unemployed & I live with my parents....

Greatest show ever! That’s gold, Jerry! Gold!

I’ll start ‘er off then:

Name’s Josh. Australian. Moved to Vancouver in 2008. Moved from there to Southern California in 2010. Watched every single Canucks game since the start of the ‘08/‘09 season (pretty sad really). Kangaroos fan in the AFL. Patriots fan. Liverpool fan. Just turned 35. Step Brothers is the greatest movie of all time.

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Only people here Ive met are Art to Sedinery and lawrence

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing

That’s not a bad idea actually. If you or someone created that thread, I’d definitely be down to contribute.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Mr.C:

tree_humper.gif

Crap now Im going to be in trouble...

...what the hell? :laugh:

Yes I met a few playing in Mr. C's hockey at 8 rinks. Was good time, we all enjoyed grabbing beers after.

@Mr. Canucklehead needs to set-up another hockey game.

Those were definitely fun events, and it was nice to sit and shoot the breeze after with a bunch of fellow diehard hockey types.

Hmmm. I'm down in Vancouver for a week in July...we could do something...

(Here's the thread with group photos and even videos of past events we held - http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/hf-shinny-ii-game-4-tba.1268445/)

Reactions: racerjoe and Slads

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
...what the hell? :laugh:

Those were definitely fun events, and it was nice to sit and shoot the breeze after with a bunch of fellow diehard hockey types.

Hmmm. I'm down in Vancouver for a week in July...we could do something...

(Here's the thread with group photos and even videos of past events we held - http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/hf-shinny-ii-game-4-tba.1268445/)

Don't you what the hell me.

Im officially retired from hockey. But you guys should set up something

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
the big 19 is coming up soon.

hand over your best bar suggestions.

it's on a stat holiday though so that might f*** things up

i want a bar, not a club. clubbing is f***ing stupid.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Watched Solo yesterday. It was OK - not the best Star Wars, not the worst. Donald Glover was perfect as Lando, and Chewie was awesome. Alden Ehrenreich was OK as Han. Some terrific action/adventure sequences, but some of the new characters failed to inspire.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
Solo seems like the epitome of a cash grab. I used to love star wars, but I really can't get into it much these days.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Solo seems like the epitome of a cash grab. I used to love star wars, but I really can't get into it much these days.
Yup, but it's not too surprising since Disney spent $4 billion to acquire the rights. They're going to milk it for every dollar they can.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Star Wars has been milked for so long, it is just starting to now happen in mainstream media. Go look back at the Christmas specials 2 Ewok movies, and the countless expanded Universe/Legends books and comics.

I haven't seen it yet, but I will. I think people need to go into some of these movies with a different mind set. Don't always look at them as star wars, but just a summer block buster.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Disney ruined star wars. Like many ppl predicted.

Eh. I think George dragged it into the gutter with the prequels - I think The Force Awakens and Rogue One were both stellar movies, too (and yes, I agree TFA wasn't wholly original). The Last Jedi and Solo have been OK - light years ahead of the Prequels, but decidedly below the rest.

I do worry about franchise fatigue setting in with the SW universe, though. Disney clearly sees the opportunity for another "cinematic universe", which has worked nicely for Marvel, but isn't a template I feel should be recycled ad hoc for every big franchise.

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC
Yup, but it's not too surprising since Disney spent $4 billion to acquire the rights. They're going to milk it for every dollar they can.
I'm pretty sure they've made their investment back already.

I won't give any money to the Star Wars franchise anymore. Last 2 I saw in theatres were Episode 1 & Episode 8, both made me very angry I spent money to see them. I'll just stick to the MCU...

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Eh. I think George dragged it into the gutter with the prequels - I think The Force Awakens and Rogue One were both stellar movies, too (and yes, I agree TFA wasn't wholly original). The Last Jedi and Solo have been OK - light years ahead of the Prequels, but decidedly below the rest.

I do worry about franchise fatigue setting in with the SW universe, though. Disney clearly sees the opportunity for another "cinematic universe", which has worked nicely for Marvel, but isn't a template I feel should be recycled ad hoc for every big franchise.

I think that the fatigue will be due to their desire to tie everything in with the main storyline.

A couple tough things with mainstream scifi is that Star Trek/Star Wars have kind of sucked all of the air out of that room, and also that it is so difficult to set up a whole new universe for your story without boring people or getting instant comparisons to those two.

It would have been nice to see them take these side stories and use them to take advantage of owning this huge and familiar universe that they bought by just making good movies in that setting. Develop new characters and storylines that don't have to be intertwined with the main saga.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad