giphy.gif

Dammit my gif didn't work...

Last edited:

Archangel

Oct 15, 2011
Vancouver
No Vancouver in 2026 World Cup.

Idiots

It is one of those things where on the surface you say is a bad idea but when look at it longer you'd be happier. Canada would only get a max of 12 to 14 games(including friendlies) with all games after the first round played in mexico and the US. Did you see the bill that Vancouver/BC would have been stuck with for hosting maybe 4 games? On Jan 8th the city council all voted yes--then they got the bill. Some sources had the bill at between $50 to $100 mill for MAYBE 4 games. Today at UBC in the staff room we were talking about it and someone mentioned that Vancouver stood to make $200 mill off of it. That was shot down by one of the math guys in the sports section of our little home. "Only if you factor in collateral money that is almost impossible to nail down and even then it would be hypothetical." This is money that would only be made if someone can connect a tourist coming to Vancouver in part due to the games after the games have been played. Here is a thing. Nearly everyone in the first world has Vancouver as a place they want to visit anyway.. so a case could be made that money should not be linked to the WC. Also, the problem is unless you get one of the big countries to be in that city for more then one game you would need to be chasing each teams fan base and most really get involved only after the first round

Each world cup division has 4 teams and by the sounds of it Canada would share all teams in one division. The "profit" most are talking about would come from having one of the big ten playing all the time in Vancouver. Based upon what I read, after the first round, Canada would get no more games and that rest would be played in the US and Mexico and that is when the big money would start to happen. With Canada not guaranteed any games after the first round, sorry. Do not want my tax money going to Fifa.

Things to remember about FIFA and their rules

1) They do not pay tax
2) They take all the sponsorship money and they are fanatical about making sure they get every cent--They are still sueing a few companies and cities in Germany who infringed on their rights in 2006. A few smaller villages hosted out door events and did not pay FIFA for the right to show the games outside. The Villages got sponsors to off set the cost of showing the games. FIFA Did not care. They sued companies who sponsored the villages and they sued the Villages for the money they got from sponsors.
3) The Host city has to give the FIFA delegates a blank check not only during the games but from the moment they get awarded the games. One of the more famous stories is when France got the 1998 games and right after they were awarded the games--several FIFA members moved their families into some fancy Paris Hotels to "over see" the preparations. All charges sent to the city of Paris and there was nothing the city could do as it was part of the agreement. The families lived in Paris from late 1992 to late 1999 (as part of the follow up to the games). As I recall this was like 10 to 15 FIFA member families.
4) FIFA gets a large portion of the TV and internet money
5) Ticket sales --who do you think gets most of the money?

So no--for maybe 4 games we are better off without them

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
It is one of those things where on the surface you say is a bad idea but when look at it longer you'd be happier. Canada would only get a max of 12 to 14 games(including friendlies) with all games after the first round played in mexico and the US. Did you see the bill that Vancouver/BC would have been stuck with for hosting maybe 4 games? On Jan 8th the city council all voted yes--then they got the bill. Some sources had the bill at between $50 to $100 mill for MAYBE 4 games. Today at UBC in the staff room we were talking about it and someone mentioned that Vancouver stood to make $200 mill off of it. That was shot down by one of the math guys in the sports section of our little home. "Only if you factor in collateral money that is almost impossible to nail down and even then it would be hypothetical." This is money that would only be made if someone can connect a tourist coming to Vancouver in part due to the games after the games have been played. Here is a thing. Nearly everyone in the first world has Vancouver as a place they want to visit anyway.. so a case could be made that money should not be linked to the WC. Also, the problem is unless you get one of the big countries to be in that city for more then one game you would need to be chasing each teams fan base and most really get involved only after the first round

Each world cup division has 4 teams and by the sounds of it Canada would share all teams in one division. The "profit" most are talking about would come from having one of the big ten playing all the time in Vancouver. Based upon what I read, after the first round, Canada would get no more games and that rest would be played in the US and Mexico and that is when the big money would start to happen. With Canada not guaranteed any games after the first round, sorry. Do not want my tax money going to Fifa.

Things to remember about FIFA and their rules

1) They do not pay tax
2) They take all the sponsorship money and they are fanatical about making sure they get every cent--They are still sueing a few companies and cities in Germany who infringed on their rights in 2006. A few smaller villages hosted out door events and did not pay FIFA for the right to show the games outside. The Villages got sponsors to off set the cost of showing the games. FIFA Did not care. They sued companies who sponsored the villages and they sued the Villages for the money they got from sponsors.
3) The Host city has to give the FIFA delegates a blank check not only during the games but from the moment they get awarded the games. One of the more famous stories is when France got the 1998 games and right after they were awarded the games--several FIFA members moved their families into some fancy Paris Hotels to "over see" the preparations. All charges sent to the city of Paris and there was nothing the city could do as it was part of the agreement. The families lived in Paris from late 1992 to late 1999 (as part of the follow up to the games). As I recall this was like 10 to 15 FIFA member families.
4) FIFA gets a large portion of the TV and internet money
5) Ticket sales --who do you think gets most of the money?

So no--for maybe 4 games we are better off without them

Ya I've stood back a bit and read up on some of what you alluded to with co workers.

What really put it in perspective is the fact this would be the first world cup with 48 teams (a dumb decision in its own right), and it would be groups of 3, not 4.

Panama-New Zealand- turkey wouldnt exactly light up the city.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Drake playing Fortnite with Ninja, Juju Smith-Schuster and Travis Scott was hilarious.

Not everyday (or at all) you see three huge names like that just hop on Fortnite together, on Twitch.

People acting all mad because others are hyped on this is funny - we know they game, they’re normal like us but this just doesn’t happen. People really do complain about anything.

Oooooo deadmau5 streams, whoopie, dude is far from relevant and interesting. TPain was alright but not as big of a name.

This is gonna go over many peoples heads as hey go “What’s Twitch” lol.

Reactions: dim jim

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Yeah that’s insane at least in terms of Travis Scott and Drake.

But Juju is living in the faze house right now with Adapt, Nikan etc right now someone like him is at least expected. Drake and Trav are absolutely massive though.

I’m only really a sports gamer, so I never got into fortnite but it’s absolutely massive right now I can’t remember the last time a game was this big.

Reactions: PG Canuck

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Drake playing Fortnite with Ninja, Juju Smith-Schuster and Travis Scott was hilarious.

Not everyday (or at all) you see three huge names like that just hop on Fortnite together, on Twitch.

People acting all mad because others are hyped on this is funny - we know they game, they’re normal like us but this just doesn’t happen. People really do complain about anything.

Oooooo deadmau5 streams, whoopie, dude is far from relevant and interesting. TPain was alright but not as big of a name.

If they didn't play in the middle of the night on a weekday and had advertised it ahead of time he probably would have hit 1 million viewers and broken the site. But it was still nuts regardless. They hit 600k viewers and when Ninja mentioned twitch prime he got over a thousand subs in under a minute. :laugh:

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC

I'm 28 & I already feel out of touch with younger kids.

Reactions: racerjoe

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.

ZD8xrNX.gif

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Yeah that’s insane at least in terms of Travis Scott and Drake.

But Juju is living in the faze house right now with Adapt, Nikan etc right now someone like him is at least expected. Drake and Trav are absolutely massive though.

I’m only really a sports gamer, so I never got into fortnite but it’s absolutely massive right now I can’t remember the last time a game was this big.

Trav saying God’s Plan when he revived drake though LMFAO

Drake as the bush looool

Reactions: dim jim

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
If they didn't play in the middle of the night on a weekday and had advertised it ahead of time he probably would have hit 1 million viewers and broken the site. But it was still nuts regardless. They hit 600k viewers and when Ninja mentioned twitch prime he got over a thousand subs in under a minute. :laugh:

Yeah that was absolutely nuts. I didn’t even know Drake was playing with him until I saw it on twitter. Could’ve easily hit 1M viewers if advertised a bit better, but Drake was just like “yo let’s play” lol.

They were going to do it Sunday but Drake was busy

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Still don’t get why people feel the need to bring il PUBG when Fortnite is brought up. Fortnite is far bigger and some people just can’t handle it.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I know what Twitch is, but I don't know what fortnite is other than what I've gathered in this very thread. Some kind of online community game like WoW or something. I don't think I have heard it referenced in any other context though outside of here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->