OT NFL Carolina owner under fire, announces he'll be selling

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
There is no reason to move the pathners there is nothing wrong with the stadium.

In the short term, there’s also an agreement with the city in place that keeps the Panthers in Charlotte for two more years. The NFL I’m sure is going to require another agreement for a longer term to whoever buys them.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It's a real shame when any NFL team talks of moving. From what I can tell, none of them are losing money. Message to NFL owners --- Show some loyalty to the fans that are supporting you.

:jets
How much use does the city ever get out of a $1 billion open air stadium that seats 75k? City gets nothing from the appreciation of an Nfl franchise

Only the sounders and Atlanta play out of nfl stadiums. Most mls teams want arenas maxing out at 30k.

I believe that the tv money covers the players salaries.

Reactions: Voight

Mike in MN

Mr Bandgeek
Nov 25, 2008
Gunflint Trail
To be fair, New England's soccer team shares a stadium with the Patriots (for now...), and Detroit's MLS bid involves sharing Ford Field with the Lions

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
To be fair, New England's soccer team shares a stadium with the Patriots (for now...), and Detroit's MLS bid involves sharing Ford Field with the Lions

and the stadium and all surrounding development in Patriot Place was 100% privately funded. no public money went to Kraft for building in Foxboro. The only public money was for infrastructure upgrades that frankly were decades past being needed anyways

Reactions: DaveG

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
How much use does the city ever get out of a $1 billion open air stadium that seats 75k? City gets nothing from the appreciation of an Nfl franchise

Only the sounders and Atlanta play out of nfl stadiums. Most mls teams want arenas maxing out at 30k.

whitecaps play out of a stadium for CFL.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
whitecaps play out of a stadium for CFL.

Yep, they do indeed. Forgot about them. They too were looking to build a stadium, some interesting plans to build over the Skytrain & Rail lines in Gastown so extremely convenient to public transit, and it wouldve been by far the nicest facility in MLS as it would be situated right on the water over-looking the North Shore Mountains, retractable roof so open on fair weather days, evenings. They've averaged about 22,000 at BC Place Stadium, BC Lions of the CFL about 20,000.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee

Milwaukee has a few concerts at Miller Park. Paul McCartney drew 45,000 a few years ago. They also have a yearly soccer match between a Mexican club and an EPL team.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Yes the TV contract covers all the players and usually team staff as well, making it basically impossible for an NFL owner to lose money.

As for the Panthers.... lol @ 2.5 billion. Steve Ballmer is really what screwed up the sports team market. He was a nerdy basketball superfan who wanted to be in the exclusive major sports team owners club (like his friend Paul Allen) so bad he paid 3x as much as he should have for the Clippers. That set the bar way to high, hence the Rockets selling for 2.2 billion & throwing franchise evaluations out the door. NFL teams are cash cows and when your NBA counterparts are buying teams for 2 billion+, the prices of your teams go tenfold.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Yes the TV contract covers all the players and usually team staff as well, making it basically impossible for an NFL owner to lose money.

As for the Panthers.... lol @ 2.5 billion. Steve Ballmer is really what screwed up the sports team market. He was a nerdy basketball superfan who wanted to be in the exclusive major sports team owners club (like his friend Paul Allen) so bad he paid 3x as much as he should have for the Clippers. That set the bar way to high, hence the Rockets selling for 2.2 billion & throwing franchise evaluations out the door. NFL teams are cash cows and when your NBA counterparts are buying teams for 2 billion+, the prices of your teams go tenfold.

steve_is_emo.0.gif

Reactions: Killion

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
I'm sure the citizens of Charlotte could think of 1,000 other things you could spend 2.5 billion on.
for sure & it would essentially be a shitshow as far as running the team but I'm looking at it from an angle of a city investing in an entity that traditionally only takes $ from the local city vs. owning it and enjoying the 100-200 million in profit every year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->