OT NBAs Silver calling for end of one and done

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
If I had my choice, I would go back to out of high school. Part of it is my morals towards holding back talent for money reasons. These leagues already avoid the expense of not developing them as teenagers, I dont support pushing it back further.

Some kids just dont want to be in school.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
No, NBA commish Adam Silver won't kill 'one-and-done' in college game

But perhaps not really.

Silver has indicated the league soon will remove the rule that requires athletes to be 19 years old and a year removed from high school graduation before entering the draft. So the NBA will remove the current age limit, allowing players to enter the draft as they approach their high school graduations. That will not end “one-and-done”, though, because players still will be rolling into college, playing a single year and entering the draft at season's end.

How that will affect the health of college basketball is difficult to project.

So expanding the pool a bit letting guys jump to NBA after HS, but unclear what the impact will be.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If I had my choice, I would go back to out of high school. Part of it is my morals towards holding back talent for money reasons. These leagues already avoid the expense of not developing them as teenagers, I dont support pushing it back further.

Some kids just dont want to be in school.
The con of going from HS to the nba is that players likely won’t develop playing a handful of minutes a game in their teens while in the nba. How many of the high schoolers who jumped to the nba lasted past their rookie contract back in the day before the current 1 year NCAA rule?

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
For every LeBron James there is a Kwame Brown. The NBA would prefer guys go to school so that they are more polished coming out and easier to scout. So the NBA needs to find away to make sure they get the LeBrons but not the Kwame's

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
For every LeBron James there is a Kwame Brown. The NBA would prefer guys go to school so that they are more polished coming out and easier to scout. So the NBA needs to find away to make sure they get the LeBrons but not the Kwame's
Lebron, Kobe, and KG are the HS who excelled. But they would have either way.

Jermaine o’neal, and other HS, how well did they do back in the late 90’s to early millennium?

Those kids need time to mature and fill out their frames. Nba needs some type of development league.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Al nba 1st rounders contracts are guaranteed for the first 2 years. They can last 4 years if the team exercises the options for the next 2 years.

Top pick his year is expected to get $18 million tots for first 2 years and $41 mill total if all 4 years exercised.

At pick 10, it is $7.7 and $18 mill for the 2/4 split.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
If they find it too hard to scout high school players, just limit how big rookie contracts can be to reduce the risk?

Limiting the rookie contracts pushes guys to come out earlier because they get to that second contract faster. Maybe incorporate a sliding scale in the rookie contracts that pays more the further out of high school you are

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad