OT MLSE buying the Argos

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
This has been in the rumour mill for a while.

MLSE to acquire Grey Cup Champion Toronto Argonauts - CFL.ca

Now will be on equal footing with the other brands, Leafs, Raptors, TFC and respective farm teams.

This now puts 2 CFL teams directly under the same ownership as their NHL counterparts. Other being Calgary.

If the Jeff Hunt to buy the Sens rumour is true then they'll be 3. Canucks have shown interest in the Lions but don't want to pay what Braley wants.

Further rumour is this is Rogers wanting a piece of the CFL TV rights. If expansion to Halifax happens, more of both then and Bell to share.....the worlds biggest Duopoly gets bigger :)

Reactions: uncleben85

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
Whats interesting is Joey Vendetta did allude to this on Primetime Sports about a week ago but the comment was brushed off.

You could feel a change in how Rogers employees were covering the league in the last month. And yet, they say they never get directed to talk about leagues in a certain way.....

Reactions: Pilky01

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Whats interesting is Joey Vendetta did allude to this on Primetime Sports about a week ago but the comment was brushed off.

You could feel a change in how Rogers employees were covering the league in the last month. And yet, they say they never get directed to talk about leagues in a certain way.....

Maybe, just maybe, Rogers was paying more attention to the CFL last month because CFL playoffs were going on?

Reactions: Pilky01

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
Maybe, just maybe, Rogers was paying more attention to the CFL last month because CFL playoffs were going on?

You could sense it wasnt that, as the treatment was different than past CFL playoffs.

Anyhow, I wonder how much the 10th team being possible added mixes in? If a 5th game happens weekly, does Rogers maybe get CFL broadcasts?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
MLSE buys Toronto Argonauts | Toronto Star

Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, which already owns the Leafs, Raptors, TFC, Toronto Marlies and Raptors 905, announced Wednesday it has an agreement to buy the Grey Cup champion Toronto Argonauts.

There was already some cross-ownership. MLSE chairman Larry Tanenbaum’s holding company, the Kilmer Group, jointly owned the Argonauts with Bell Canada. MLSE is owned by Rogers, Bell and Tanenbaum.

Plus the Argos play at MLSE-operated BMO Field, home to the newly crowned MLS champion Toronto FC.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
does this mean the Jays are next for MLSE if Rogers ends up selling them?

The reason that Bell and Rogers teamed up to buy MLSE was to make sure the other company didn't get their hands on them. I think it inconceivable Rogers would want to sell the Jays since they currently have 100% control over them.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
I have a hard time seeing MLSE buying the Jays in it's current form or a couple of reasons

1) MLB prefers not to have corporate ownership and the thought of 2 owning a majority stake in one team with the largest "region" wouldn't sit too tell. Tannenbaum would have to be the majority owner in this case.

2) Rogers wants to keep the Blue Jays rights so there is no incentive for Bell (they're more likely involved in a potential Montreal team). With the CFL, potential expansion will increase the number of games so there's a bigger pie to share. MLB is contemplating reducing the schedule so that pie shrinks.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Interesting news. Would TSN want to give the CFL up though, especially after giving up the national hockey contract?

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Interesting news. Would TSN want to give the CFL up though, especially after giving up the national hockey contract?

CFL growth seems to have plateaud since the signed their new TV contract with TSN so it's unlikely they are giving up on some kind of surprise profit growth. This is a small time transaction anyway maybe to iron out conflicts that keep cropping up over BMO field usage, marketing, scheduling, revenues. Argos aren't worth fighting over.

Reactions: cutchemist42

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
I guess I still wonder what made Rogers truly change their mind??

I think they're trying to get their foot into the CFL TV door. I suspect if they play nice, a piece of the MLS TV pie(Whitecaps and/or TFC. TVA holds Impact rights) may be acheivable.

Rogers already has the national rights to MLB and NHL and a select number of Raps games.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad