OT: OT: Leafs Forum OT Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Hey Leafs fans,

I am moving to the GTA this summer for work. I found a job in Mississauga and I was wondering where I could live. I'm 21 years old and I want something affordable but not too far from my workplace. Which places would you recommend?

Thanks for the help boys

member 262271

Have any of you ever put your back out? I'm 26 and I don't think I've ever had a worst pain. I was shoveling snow at a retirement home voluntarily and tweaked my back half way through. I didn't want to leave the job half done so I kept going. Now I can't walk or sit down properly with the pain. I actually fell to the floor a few hours ago when the spasm hit.

I literally put a chisel half way through my hand just before xmas but I would happily trade the pain of that for the pain I have in my back right now. White knuckle kind of pain. The worst part is it can happen when I'm walking and the muscles in my legs let go so I fall. I'm walking with a cane right now. The stupid part is that I have a job already, I was just sort of doing a good dead shoveling out the fire exits and entrances at this care home, now I'm hurt, no wcb and I'm missing the next week of work... When I put the chisel through my hand I was covered but it still took me almost two months to get caught up on my bills . I don't know if this is the worst to best part of the story but I had just won $1500 on the vlt's an hour before I messed up my back.. **** me man.
Sure have - about 6 or 7 years I was throwing a football around in a lake, one pass I dove to catch and must've twisted oddly, ever since then it hasn't been the same. Went out a few times since then and it's been the worst. I have it pretty well under control now, just have to be careful of a few things.

Reactions: JadedLeaf

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Have any of you ever put your back out? I'm 26 and I don't think I've ever had a worst pain. I was shoveling snow at a retirement home voluntarily and tweaked my back half way through. I didn't want to leave the job half done so I kept going. Now I can't walk or sit down properly with the pain. I actually fell to the floor a few hours ago when the spasm hit.

I literally put a chisel half way through my hand just before xmas but I would happily trade the pain of that for the pain I have in my back right now. White knuckle kind of pain. The worst part is it can happen when I'm walking and the muscles in my legs let go so I fall. I'm walking with a cane right now. The stupid part is that I have a job already, I was just sort of doing a good dead shoveling out the fire exits and entrances at this care home, now I'm hurt, no wcb and I'm missing the next week of work... When I put the chisel through my hand I was covered but it still took me almost two months to get caught up on my bills . I don't know if this is the worst to best part of the story but I had just won $1500 on the vlt's an hour before I messed up my back.. **** me man.
Have you been to the doctor? Is it mechanical or structural?

If something like naproxen doesn't help. . Then you need to look into other possibilities. Try to stay away from opioids if you can. Cannibus or white willow bark might help. The latter is just natural aspirin it's good for all sorts of pain.

Of course I'm no doctor but I hope you feel better.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Hey Leafs fans,

I am moving to the GTA this summer for work. I found a job in Mississauga and I was wondering where I could live. I'm 21 years old and I want something affordable but not too far from my workplace. Which places would you recommend?

Thanks for the help boys
Mississauga is huge, where is your workplace?

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

Had problems with my back all through my teens, early 20s. My only recommendation is don’t drive if you’re still have recurring spasms. Problem is once you threw it out once, it is easier to have it happen again.

Once it starts feeling better, hit the gym, or a pool. Building the muscle around your spine works wonders for preventing it reoccurring in the future.

member 262271

Had problems with my back all through my teens, early 20s. My only recommendation is don’t drive if you’re still have recurring spasms. Problem is once you threw it out once, it is easier to have it happen again.

Once it starts feeling better, hit the gym, or a pool. Building the muscle around your spine works wonders for preventing it reoccurring in the future.
See, now this is good advice. I should really heed it myself, not doing enough to build strength just stretches and stuff, getting older is fun.

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan

Yeah I'm off work for two weeks right now. It's a little less sore than yesterday so I'll take that as a good sign but still need the cane just to have something to lean on when the spasms hit while walking. Feels like muscles deep in my back that helps me keep my upper straight so it's hard not to use it.

Working out a little bit once it heals seems like a fine idea though, I have gym equipment in my basement that's been gathering dust for months so I might have to dust it off when my back is better.

Hip, knee and back pain has to be by far the worst pain to have to deal with. Can't really do anything without using those three things.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Hey Leafs fans,

Thanks for the help boys

I think your best bet is probably to grab a condo near Square One (just not the two big twisty towers... they are horrible I hear). Square One is a big mall and that would be considered the heart of Mississauga.

Down by the Lakeshore is a lot nicer and has lots of bars and restaurants... but it's probably more expensive and is a much richer area of Mississauga. But it has a much more lively nightlife and seems more vibrant.

Depending on where your work is, you might want to look for a place near Kipling Subway station. It might be a bit of a commute into Mississauga for work, but you can get to the heart of downtown Toronto in under half an hour.

I've been living in Mississauga for a few years now and I like it... but I'm in my 30s with a wife, kid, dog, etc. If I was your age, I would want to spend my time in downtown Toronto. If you don't make friends through work, you might find it difficult to find people your age in Mississauga who want to go out and party or whatever.

Reactions: BayStreetBully

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I think your best bet is probably to grab a condo near Square One (just not the two big twisty towers... they are horrible I hear). Square One is a big mall and that would be considered the heart of Mississauga.

Down by the Lakeshore is a lot nicer and has lots of bars and restaurants... but it's probably more expensive and is a much richer area of Mississauga. But it has a much more lively nightlife and seems more vibrant.

Depending on where your work is, you might want to look for a place near Kipling Subway station. It might be a bit of a commute into Mississauga for work, but you can get to the heart of downtown Toronto in under half an hour.

I've been living in Mississauga for a few years now and I like it... but I'm in my 30s with a wife, kid, dog, etc. If I was your age, I would want to spend my time in downtown Toronto. If you don't make friends through work, you might find it difficult to find people your age in Mississauga who want to go out and party or whatever.

I agree. If you are young and single and here just for the summer, I’d find a place downtown on the Bloor subway line, wake up 30 minutes earlier, and commute to work in Mississauga. You will have way greater memories of your time in Toronto.

Years ago, I made the mistake of living in Oakland one summer to be near work, when I should have commuted from San Francisco.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I agree. If you are young and single and here just for the summer, I’d find a place downtown on the Bloor subway line, wake up 30 minutes earlier, and commute to work in Mississauga. You will have way greater memories of your time in Toronto.

Years ago, I made the mistake of living in Oakland one summer to be near work, when I should have commuted from San Francisco.

I need my car for work though, my job requires me to travel with my car to see clients. Ideally, I want something that goes against traffic on Hwy 401, I've seen it and it looks horrible.

I'm not single but my girlfriend won't move in with me until the end of the year. She'll move in to do a Master's degree, so it would have to be a place that has easy access to commuting services. I definitely want to live near other young people to make new friends. Downtown Toronto is expensive and will cost me a lot in gas I think. I don't know, I really know very little about Toronto, haven't been there in more than 10 years. I'm moving permanently, not just for the summer.

Thanks for the help BTW, I really appreciate it :)

Last edited:

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I need my car for work though, my job requires me to travel with my car to see clients. Ideally, I want something that goes against traffic on Hwy 401, I've seen it and it looks horrible.

I'm not single but my girlfriend won't move in with me until the end of the year. She'll move in to do a Master's degree, so it would have to be a place that has easy access to commuting services. I definitely want to live near other young people to make new friends. Downtown Toronto is expensive and will cost me a lot in gas I think. I don't know, I really know very little about Toronto, haven't been there in more than 10 years.

If your job requires you putting miles on your car, I’d agree that finding a place in Mississauga is best. I don’t know Mississauga all that well, so I’ll leave it to others to chime in. Nonetheless, you will still have a great experience while you’re here, regardless where you live. Have fun!

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto

I'm not single but my girlfriend won't move in with me until the end of the year. She'll move in to do a Master's degree, so it would have to be a place that has easy access to commuting services. I definitely want to live near other young people to make new friends. Downtown Toronto is expensive and will cost me a lot in gas I think. I don't know, I really know very little about Toronto, haven't been there in more than 10 years. I'm moving permanently, not just for the summer.

Ya, anywhere around Square One would probably be good for you. You're right by the 401 and 403... so good access to highways and the airport. There is a huge mall there and basically everything you need is within 1 square kilometer. Night life is a bit lacking... but there are some nice bars and restaurants scattered around.

I live near Square One and it's about a half hour bus ride to the subway... and then another 30 - 45 minutes on the subway to get downtown. I own a car, but I use public transit to go downtown so I can drink (and driving downtown and parking is a nightmare). To get from my house to the ACC where the Leafs play might be 90 minutes door to door via bus + subway. So it's not that bad if you only go downtown every week or two.

Traffic is fine in Mississauga compared to Toronto... but the highways are horrible around rush hour. If you can avoid driving on the 401 (in any direction) around rush hour times... you should. Don't know how people sit in that traffic every day. Highway 407 is a toll highway which we take sometimes... but not really practical for a daily commute because it's expensive.

If you end up moving to this area, send me a message when you get here... we can watch a Jays game at Jack Astor's (or Leafs game if you're here in early June).

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Ya, anywhere around Square One would probably be good for you. You're right by the 401 and 403... so good access to highways and the airport. There is a huge mall there and basically everything you need is within 1 square kilometer. Night life is a bit lacking... but there are some nice bars and restaurants scattered around.

I live near Square One and it's about a half hour bus ride to the subway... and then another 30 - 45 minutes on the subway to get downtown. I own a car, but I use public transit to go downtown so I can drink (and driving downtown and parking is a nightmare). To get from my house to the ACC where the Leafs play might be 90 minutes door to door via bus + subway. So it's not that bad if you only go downtown every week or two.

Traffic is fine in Mississauga compared to Toronto... but the highways are horrible around rush hour. If you can avoid driving on the 401 (in any direction) around rush hour times... you should. Don't know how people sit in that traffic every day. Highway 407 is a toll highway which we take sometimes... but not really practical for a daily commute because it's expensive.

If you end up moving to this area, send me a message when you get here... we can watch a Jays game at Jack Astor's (or Leafs game if you're here in early June).

If the Leafs are still playing in June, I'm buying a Matthews jersey as soon as I move. Thanks for the offer, I would love to have someone show me around a little bit! I'll definitely send you a message :)

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Unfortunately there really isn't against traffic on the 401, it's insane.
If your company doesn't want you sitting in traffic all day they'll pay your 407 bill.

IMO, nicest area of Mississauga is Port Credit.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Unfortunately there really isn't against traffic on the 401, it's insane.
If your company doesn't want you sitting in traffic all day they'll pay your 407 bill.

IMO, nicest area of Mississauga is Port Credit.

I agree that Port Credit is definitely the nicest area of Mississauga. They have a really nice main street that is always busy and lots of bars and restaurants and nice parks on the water. The drawbacks are that it's more expensive and you're further from the 401 and 403. You're close to the QEW/Gardiner which is good... but that highway can be brutal too.

Square One area has a big mall, lots of condos, close to highways, and is more in the center of Mississauga rather than at the bottom.

If you want to walk along the water with your girlfriend and go to nice bars and restaurants, then Port Credit is really great for that. There's lots going on and it's a lot of fun down there. Some bars have live music and stuff like that. It can almost feel like you're in downtown Toronto... but the crowd is a bit older and richer I find because it's an expensive area... but there are young people there too.

Square One area is probably a lot more practical... but certainly doesn't have a community feel or anything like that. Most of the bars and restaurants are big chains. But you've got everything you need there and there's a huge mall (awesome food court), movie theatre, bars, restaurants, etc.

Just don't live in the Marilyn Monroe buildings (the two big twisty towers)... apparently you've got prostitutes and scummy people living there and the building has lots of problems.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
I live in East Credit part of Mississauga. Just about a 20 min bus ride from Square One and a half an hour walk to Streetsville. It’s a nice, quiet part of town and there’s a lot of good shopping plazas around.

I’d definitely agree with Port Credit being the nicest part of the city. For getting to Toronto, There’s the buses that go down the Transitway (bus exclusive highway) for routes through Etobicoke and all the way to Islington too if you need to connect to the subway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->