OT: OT: Leafs Forum OT Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I've seen some stuff on YouTube and he is the man.

And about the university stuff,
I mean, I'm fairly biased but I find a lot more people regretting university than the trades due to a bunch of factors. But I know a lot of that has to do with where I live, the types of jobs around me, and the culture. A lot of university programs sound like waste of time and money to me... But that might be more to do with peoples lack of planning when enrolling to post secondary and not thinking where they will get a job.

If i could do it over again.
I'd go to college first, get my diploma in Library Information (or Admin). work, save up, get my university degree work towards my masters and move up. In my field, i can't be anything more than I am now, unless i got my masters. regrettably. my field is also that of teaching - where there are a LOT of older people who should/could retire but are not.

but i know without my degree i couldn't work in Korea (or contemplate working and Living in Japan in later life). and Korea was one of the best experiences i had in my life. I truly think (well when I went to school I can't really talk about now, and this was like almost 14 years ago now... gosh am I old) - it ws a great learning experience and shaped how i think, talk, present myself and how i can apply what i studied to everything in my life currently. honestly now maybe it's so different it is/can be seen as a waste of time/money

but again I'd do it just for the doors it can open.

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
Never mind taxes or bills or jobs or gas money. Tearing off a clean piece of saran wrap has to be one of the hardest things I've ever done in my adult life.

Reactions: filthyMitz

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Talk to someone who has worked in the trades making that "great money" for 20 years. See where they are. How they speak. How they present themselves. What they can speak of in life that is important. How they are looked at by others (trust me, all this is important).

Then compare with the university - proper degree, mind you - university educated person, who may have initially started off with a much poorer paying job, but has gone somewhere since.

Compare.

Then decide.

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm
I think your approach is pretty lopsided for this subject. Most of you seem to mention where to make the most money. And how much money can be made by doing such and such.

For me, personally, that doesn't matter so much in this subject. I would not want to do that line of work for living. I wouldn't want to work in that kind of job (plumber for example) for one year let alone 40 years. Moreover, I do not want to work for just a paycheck. The place where I spend 8 hours a day needs to mean more to me.

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes
I think your approach is pretty lopsided for this subject. Most of you seem to mention where to make the most money. And how much money can be made by doing such and such.

For me, personally, that doesn't matter so much in this subject. I would not want to do that line of work for living. I wouldn't want to work in that kind of job (plumber for example) for one year let alone 40 years. Moreover, I do not want to work for just a paycheck. The place where I spend 8 hours a day needs to mean more to me.

Completely agree. I worked for a large corporation for 18 years, and was laid off last summer. It got me thinking a lot about the past and what I wanted to do in the future. I had many different jobs over that 18 years within that company, but the ones I enjoyed the most were 100% because of the people and the interactions. That's a hard thing to know before you accept a job, but my advice is after a few months and the work atmosphere is sour, move on (unless you HAVE to build up work experience or you have slim pickings).

Also a mistake I made coming out of school when I was 18 was don't go into a job that is not related to your schooling if you can avoid it. If you don't use it, you lose it.

I'm actually going back to school (college) this fall, and taking something that always interested me (electronics), but in the end I will be more aware of the environment I go into with my new job.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
University didn't prepare me for a career, but I was luck enough that it prepared me for life. The work I do allows me to enjoy life. The money's good, and I have plenty of time to pursue hobbies.

Once

Jul 16, 2010
University is not for everyone, just like the trades is not for anyone.

You should have a sense of what you want to accomplish when you are 'throwing away' money and engaging in either educational stream. I don't understand why people complain about employment or their degree upon completing an undergraduate degree in the firm sciences, social sciences, humanities, kinesiology, etc. On top of the material and skills that you learned; if you were unable to educate yourself regarding various opportunities, networking abilities, or future programs to increase your value in a 4 year degree program - that is on you.

I am completing an MA in Sociology at UWO (concentrating on health disparities in Canada). Most people do not know what sociology is and assume it is social work. Others toss it off as something worthless. Yet, 4 months after graduating from my UG, I was working for 3 professors, averaging $45 an hour at the ripe age of 21. Half of this was because of my hard work and dedication but the other half was from networking. These jobs were essential to developing a career and working towards my professional and personal goals.

Your degree is what you make of it. If you are confused as to why your 4.0 GPA took you nowhere, you should either reevaluate your passion or reflect on what else you did during your 4 years to make yourself valuable.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Yeah, having a high GPA isn't the be all, end all of you didn't do other things.

Whether it's volunteering, working, networking like crazy, or even simply participating in school council/events, you need more than just schooling to set yourself apart.

As someone who managed a business full-time, while in school full-time, sure, I may not have the 4.0 GOA, but employers love the business experience I have, and it's given me opportunities. I had a job opportunity, just a couple weeks after moving.

It's one of the biggest misconceptions. You need to do well in school, and know your stuff, but you also need to enter yourself into society in some way. If you are just going to focus 100% on school, you better be busting your ass off networking, constantly talking to profs, every networking event, etc. Which isn't bad at all if that's what you do. I know several people who went that route, and are starting off strong.

Dont sit on your butt and be like "but I got a 4.0?", because it doesn't mean a whole lot if you didn't network, gain experience, or be apart of society at all.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Yeah, having a high GPA isn't the be all, end all of you didn't do other things.

Whether it's volunteering, working, networking like crazy, or even simply participating in school council/events, you need more than just schooling to set yourself apart.

As someone who managed a business full-time, while in school full-time, sure, I may not have the 4.0 GOA, but employers love the business experience I have, and it's given me opportunities. I had a job opportunity, just a couple weeks after moving.

It's one of the biggest misconceptions. You need to do well in school, and know your stuff, but you also need to enter yourself into society in some way. If you are just going to focus 100% on school, you better be busting your ass off networking, constantly talking to profs, every networking event, etc. Which isn't bad at all if that's what you do. I know several people who went that route, and are starting off strong.

Dont sit on your butt and be like "but I got a 4.0?", because it doesn't mean a whole lot if you didn't network, gain experience, or be apart of society at all.

Agreed. I worked as a McDonald's manager during 3rd year (before quitting to focus more on school) and since then I basically got an interview at any place I applied and that is a thing hiring managers love to talk about. To go along with that, I also have a letter of recommendation from a professor as well as some consultants with McDonald's as my references. Along with that, all of my UWO professors know me by name which goes a long way in the future. It is also crazy how much more talking and meeting with new people I did in 3rd year. Expanded who I know massively.

Admittedly, I am not doing something directly related to my friend and picked the job that best fit my hours and pay needs for this summer but in terms of potentially moving up I would likely fair well considering who I know within the corporation. Going into 4th year I know I need to complete my Accounting degree and then focus on my CPA designation.

I feel with that I will have a decent start. I would like some more volunteer experience as there is a very good chance I won't be working during the school year.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Talk to someone who has worked in the trades making that "great money" for 20 years. See where they are. How they speak. How they present themselves. What they can speak of in life that is important. How they are looked at by others (trust me, all this is important).

Then compare with the university - proper degree, mind you - university educated person, who may have initially started off with a much poorer paying job, but has gone somewhere since.

Compare.

Then decide.

Trust you? It's important? What a load of malarkey. I have done both but with your logic I'm likely too smart to know I'm too smart.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
AM Tattoo

QsveRYGl.jpg

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

Compare.

Then decide.

I know contractors with no education except highschool, who are very well off, live respectable lives, are well liked in their communities, have a large network of friends, colleagues and family. Who cares if they they dont have a university education? They certainly dont. They present themselves well and are polite and courteous to those they associate with.

I also know university graduates with "proper degrees" who are dumber then a bag of rocks, live in their parents basements, can't formulate a proper sentence, have barely legible handwriting, and have little to know future in the field they wanted to have a career in.

Respectability and success doesn't come from a degree. It comes from the individual and the way they present themselves, the way they learn, the way they act, and the people they meet along the way.

I hired 3 people this summer for more or less the same position. One is a masters student, one is in her third year of her bachelors degree, one just finished his first year of community college. Education played little in their hiring.

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
Childish Gambino just announced at the Gov. Ball, that his next album will be his last.

Crying rn

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
Just watched 13 reasons why. Very difficult to watch as it is so relatable and real. Highly recommend it and will be a show I watch with my son when he's old enough to understand. Just be prepared to cry. And cry alot. Very powerful stuff. If everyone watched this series and took it to heart it could litterally be the flick of light needed to change the world.

Very well done. Hug your kids.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
Just watched 13 reasons why. Very difficult to watch as it is so relatable and real. Highly recommend it and will be a show I watch with my son when he's old enough to understand. Just be prepared to cry. And cry alot. Very powerful stuff. If everyone watched this series and took it to heart it could litterally be the flick of light needed to change the world.

I'm on tape 4. Its supposedly a trigger show though, so idk if I'd recommend it for everyone

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009

I've watched, and I'm not really sure what you mean by "it could change the world". Like.... how?

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I know contractors with no education except highschool, who are very well off, live respectable lives, are well liked in their communities, have a large network of friends, colleagues and family. Who cares if they they dont have a university education? They certainly dont. They present themselves well and are polite and courteous to those they associate with.

I also know university graduates with "proper degrees" who are dumber then a bag of rocks, live in their parents basements, can't formulate a proper sentence, have barely legible handwriting, and have little to know future in the field they wanted to have a career in.

Respectability and success doesn't come from a degree. It comes from the individual and the way they present themselves, the way they learn, the way they act, and the people they meet along the way.

I hired 3 people this summer for more or less the same position. One is a masters student, one is in her third year of her bachelors degree, one just finished his first year of community college. Education played little in their hiring.

Couldn't have put it better myself

University is not for everyone, just like the trades is not for anyone.

You should have a sense of what you want to accomplish when you are 'throwing away' money and engaging in either educational stream. I don't understand why people complain about employment or their degree upon completing an undergraduate degree in the firm sciences, social sciences, humanities, kinesiology, etc. On top of the material and skills that you learned; if you were unable to educate yourself regarding various opportunities, networking abilities, or future programs to increase your value in a 4 year degree program - that is on you.

I am completing an MA in Sociology at UWO (concentrating on health disparities in Canada). Most people do not know what sociology is and assume it is social work. Others toss it off as something worthless. Yet, 4 months after graduating from my UG, I was working for 3 professors, averaging $45 an hour at the ripe age of 21. Half of this was because of my hard work and dedication but the other half was from networking. These jobs were essential to developing a career and working towards my professional and personal goals.

Your degree is what you make of it. If you are confused as to why your 4.0 GPA took you nowhere, you should either reevaluate your passion or reflect on what else you did during your 4 years to make yourself valuable.

The problem is sometimes what you want to do is unrealistic and a backup plan makes your degree irrelevant. Just because Im an advocate against the necessity of a university degree doesn't mean mine was not useful. In fact, my 4.0 GPA did not take me nowhere, rather it was a key factor in taking me to where I am today. But not my GPA alone, I worked full time (as a contractor) in the summers, 20 hrs a week (as a tutor + odd jobs) during school, and volunteered as much as I could. I had opportunities in my field but none of them were of interest to me. I could have had a job with just my UG but nothing that would be self fulfilling. I have seen so many people start undergrad with a dream of med school, for example, only to fall short. Some of the most educated people I know are now working in jobs where they answer to people with just a GED, who have been working with the same company since 16.

Sure University education opens doors, but its not the only way to success in todays society. There are other avenues or opportunities that are just as valuable. The 'dumb, unprofessional' stigma around people who chose not to go to university needs to end.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Couldn't have put it better myself

The problem is sometimes what you want to do is unrealistic and a backup plan makes your degree irrelevant. Just because Im an advocate against the necessity of a university degree doesn't mean mine was not useful. In fact, my 4.0 GPA did not take me nowhere, rather it was a key factor in taking me to where I am today. But not my GPA alone, I worked full time (as a contractor) in the summers, 20 hrs a week (as a tutor + odd jobs) during school, and volunteered as much as I could. I had opportunities in my field but none of them were of interest to me. I could have had a job with just my UG but nothing that would be self fulfilling. I have seen so many people start undergrad with a dream of med school, for example, only to fall short. Some of the most educated people I know are now working in jobs where they answer to people with just a GED, who have been working with the same company since 16.

Sure University education opens doors, but its not the only way to success in todays society. There are other avenues or opportunities that are just as valuable. The 'dumb, unprofessional' stigma around people who chose not to go to university needs to end.

I earned 3 degrees in my time at University, and I don't work a glamourous job at all. Not even close to my fields of study. I went to school to learn about the world, to be taught and refine critical thinking, and to have my foundation challenged. It was incredibly rewarding.

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
I've watched, and I'm not really sure what you mean by "it could change the world". Like.... how?

Just in how actions and meaningless interactions have such a butterfly effect. It really should make you obligated to be nicer and more caring to those people around you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad