OT: OT: Leafs Forum OT Thread

Discussion in 'Toronto Maple Leafs' started by Epictetus, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Epictetus

Epictetus YNWA

Continue.

2. taurine330

taurine330 Registered User

I can't stand winter anymore. I don't play hockey anymore so winter has nothing to give to me. It is so awesome now with every place being green and all. Can't stand the cold, darkness, and snow anymore.

therealkoho likes this.
  3. Pookie

Pookie It was a pleasure doing business with you

Ignorant? ;) We all get older, can't wait to see you try to share your views when you age.

Speaking of your views, you do realize that to get a professional designation requires an undergraduate degree?

Anyways, I clearly stated if the equation is economic and purely economic, it's a pretty big opportunity cost to go to University. Which means you actually agreed with my "ignorant" position.

What you missed is that education may be about more than money. A book that inspires or an understanding of human behaviour or an inquisitive mind that chooses to apply it to studying diseases and how to treat?

Tell me how much better off the world could actually be if the majority had the skill to critically think about the "Fakebook" news feeds they were reading that swung an election?

In the end, each individual makes their own choice based on their interests and abilities. Some aren't meant for university and with the trades booming, some clearly aren't meant to work with their hands.

But seeking the job of the moment via either route seems like a short sighted view.

Oh, and if I do choose your resume from the pile.... tell your parents to stay home ;)

The_Chosen_One likes this.
  4. Grant

Grant LL Genius

That, It Ain't Me and Hear Me Now for me right now

5. Peasy

Peasy apple CORes = SOFT

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/rep...umber-what-will-my-salary-be/article17576328/

Are you not the same guy who thinks he can live off of 200k for the rest of his life?

And no **** one can make over 100k a year, thats if they own their own successful business, which not everyone can do. The majority of plumbers will make under 100k a year, not over.

6. moon111

moon111 Registered User

Most plumbers I've worked for are making around $36/hour or $75,000/year. However, they also have full benefits. And they're also getting paid travel. And they're also getting paid live-out. People would bring their camper to a camp ground, split rent in an apartment, or get mass deals at hotels. I personally walked into hotel in the Toronto area, stated we're working on a multi-million dollar project and would like a deal for my co-workers and myself. $50/night. ...and many shared a room. So some were making about $300/week just by staying in a hotel. Others would secretly drive home if it wasn't too bad and pocket all the live-out.

7. Gary Nylund

Gary Nylund Registered User

You and I have had more than our share of disagreements in the past but this is a solid post IMO, especially the parts I bolded. :thumbu::thumbu:

The_Chosen_One likes this.
  8. Mittelstadt

Mittelstadt Moderator Sponsor

Maintenance
    Easy Peasy.

My dads plumber makes 105k a year.

9. The Podium

The Podium Registered User

I'm university educated and currently in a professional program. I'm speaking from first hand experience as someone who was on the verge of starting as an entry level apprentice at 22 years old, had i not gotten into my current program, after completing my BSc. Even with my 4.0 GPA I wanted nothing to do with biology after graduating and was always interested in the trades (as a son of a contractor). I was pretty pissed that I was about to start from the bottom 20k in debt knowing I could've gone straight out of high school and knowing my degree would mean **** all at that point.

So yes, university education is valuable but not in every circumstance. Like I said, there are a select few undergrad programs that are actually worth the time and money, or if you can manage to get into a professional program ( which most don't).

As for your rant about society, university education won't change that. In fact some of the smartest people I know are high school drop outs and some of the dumbest people I know managed to get a university degree.

10. BertCorbeau

BertCorbeau Global Moderator

Just because your degree didn't mean anything doesn't mean most do. A lot of companies/government bodies require a degree of any kind just to be qualified for a position. Upper levels usually require more (masters, professional accreditation)

There is a ton of value with going to university outside of what you actually learn within course material.

11. nsleaf

nsleaf Registered User

Sounds like you didn't make the right educational decisions at the right time with regards to career choice, lots of people do the same.

12. Cor

Cor Most Likes Received By HFW Poster - 2018

Someone give me a new avatar.

Can't think of any.

Could go back to Harvey Spector...

13. The Podium

The Podium Registered User

Actually I chased a dream that I was fortunate to achieve but not everyone is the same. If it didn't work out then I would have regretted it.

14. Quarter

Quarter The caravan moves on

You don't want to know how many hours in photoshop this took.

15. Cor

It says it's been deleted.

Come on Corter

16. Quarter

Quarter The caravan moves on

It's too beautiful for human eyes, apparently.

17. Grant

Grant LL Genius

Didn't you lose an avy bet with Peasy that you didn't follow through with? Maybe he has a suggestion?

18. Cor

When was this? :laugh:

I don't think so. I would of held true. If I didn't, it was unintentional

19. Daisy Jane

Daisy Jane they keep breaking my heart

strongly disagree. having a university degree opens a lot of doors that you may not think will be open for you. I have 3. (my university degree (joint degree), a trades diploma, and a teaching certificate).

Fall and Winter.
    summer can go die for all I care.

20. ErnieLeafs

ErnieLeafs Registered User

University is no longer what it used to be. The last 5 years have been nothing short of devastating for the humanities. Ideologues have taken over. Pure sciences and math are still excellent, engineering as well. Glad I got my humanities degrees before all of the recent scourge.

21. Daisy Jane

Daisy Jane they keep breaking my heart

actually that's true.
    my friend was telling me how this one student didn't like wht the instructor was teaching so she whined to the dean of students, and the dean told the the teacher she couldn't teach that in her class. I would have gone ape on that.

22. ErnieLeafs

ErnieLeafs Registered User

I'm a big Jordan Peterson fan, and boy, does he have the argument against universities on point these days. Guy's pretty brilliant.

23. Schenn

Schenn In Rod We Trust Sponsor

I've seen some stuff on YouTube and he is the man.

And about the university stuff,
    I mean, I'm fairly biased but I find a lot more people regretting university than the trades due to a bunch of factors. But I know a lot of that has to do with where I live, the types of jobs around me, and the culture. A lot of university programs sound like waste of time and money to me... But that might be more to do with peoples lack of planning when enrolling to post secondary and not thinking where they will get a job.

24. Mittelstadt

Mittelstadt Moderator Sponsor

Maintenance
    "Did the man who invented college, go to college?" - Hopsin

25. Hurt

Hurt Moderator

Well... Ya. The oldest universities still around have been around for over 900 years and were a place for students to come together with experts in fields. Presumably, the people who started the universities were the experts.