Norway: OT - I visited Tønsberg & Toured Tønsberg Vikings Arena

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
I would like to post about my trip and experience just to highlight the absolute amazing customer service/hospitality of Cicille and Tønsberg Vikings!

We just visited Norway and were staying not far from Tønsberg city. I knew of the Tønsberg Vikings as a player who played for my local team also played there in Norway in 2012/13 season and I also thought they have a cool logo and name (Tønsberg being the oldest town/city in Norway)

I emailed the team and explain that I'm visiting in June, so clearly no hockey available to watch but would it be possible to go to the rink and buy some t-shirt/hoodie or anything really. I assumed the rink would be open for public skating, so maybe the merchandise could be sold still.

A few emails back and forth, and I was in Norway and emailed again, I will be in Tønsberg the next day. Great, I will meet you at the train station and give you a ride to the arena, I was told - sure makes it easy for me. I arrived and there was a local council worker waiting for me in their Tønsberg council car. She took me to the rink, which was closed. Opened it up, gave me a full tour of the rink and all its locker rooms and facilities, explained everything about the team to me and then proceeded to gift me a load of merchandise for free. I offered and pleaded to pay, but she refused and just asked that in the future I return to watch a game in person.

I then got a ride back to the harbour area to check out the Viking ships

My tour of the rink, it's small, 400 capacity with mainly bench style or standing. However, the facilities such as locker rooms and behind the scenes are very modern and comfortable.

IMG-20220616-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20220616-WA0003.jpg

Some of the merch I was very kindly gifted

IMG-20220616-WA0006.jpeg

The team are amateur, to my surprise as they do carry imports, but she said all imports either live in Norway or when they sign the team helps them find employment to cover costs. Also surprising is the road trip as a team in Tromsø are in the same league (Norwegian 3rd level) and that is a monster 23-hour road trip, if they drive that is. I forgot to ask!

The road trip:

Screenshot 2022-06-18 150046.png

The Ice rink also has a free outdoor rink that covers both figure skating and Ice hockey, and randomly it has some tennis courts in the middle of it.

Now I need to arrange a trip back in the winter to see them in action and if anybody needs any advice how to best get to Tonsberg if you are interested then I'm happy to assist. It's pretty easy to travel around Norway.

Last edited:

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
I would like to post about my trip and experience just to highlight the absolute amazing customer service/hospitality of Cicille and Tønsberg Vikings!

We just visited Norway and were staying not far from Tønsberg city. I knew of the Tønsberg Vikings as a player who played for my local team also played there in Norway in 2012/13 season and I also thought they have a cool logo and name (Tønsberg being the oldest town/city in Norway)

I emailed the team and explain that I'm visiting in June, so clearly no hockey available to watch but would it be possible to go to the rink and buy some t-shirt/hoodie or anything really. I assumed the rink would be open for public skating, so maybe the merchandise could be sold still.

A few emails back and forth, and I was in Norway and emailed again, I will be in Tønsberg the next day. Great, I will meet you at the train station and give you a ride to the arena, I was told - sure makes it easy for me. I arrived and there was a local council worker waiting for me in their Tønsberg council car. She took me to the rink, which was closed. Opened it up, gave me a full tour of the rink and all its locker rooms and facilities, explained everything about the team to me and then proceeded to gift me a load of merchandise for free. I offered and pleaded to pay, but she refused and just asked that in the future I return to watch a game in person.

I then got a ride back to the harbour area to check out the Viking ships

My tour of the rink, it's small, 400 capacity with mainly bench style or standing. However, the facilities such as locker rooms and behind the scenes are very modern and comfortable.

View attachment 559721

View attachment 559722

Some of the merch I was very kindly gifted

View attachment 559723

The team are amateur, to my surprise as they do carry imports, but she said all imports either live in Norway or when they sign the team helps them find employment to cover costs. Also surprising is the road trip as a team in Tromsø are in the same league (Norwegian 3rd level) and that is a monster 23-hour road trip, if they drive that is. I forgot to ask!

The road trip:

View attachment 559724

The Ice rink also has a free outdoor rink that covers both figure skating and Ice hockey, and randomly it has some tennis courts in the middle of it.

Now I need to arrange a trip back in the winter to see them in action and if anybody needs any advice how to best get to Tonsberg if you are interested then I'm happy to assist. It's pretty easy to travel around Norway.
I bet you will not find that kind of hospitality anywhere in NHL :D

• Haha
Reactions: Rigafan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad