OT: Finnish Music

• Thread starter Granlund2Pulkkinen*
  • Start date

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Not a song but question: what do Finnish people think of Ievan Polkka? I love this song very much. Like, really. I even attempted to learn Finnish for a while because of it but then came to my senses and succumbed to the fact that I would never be able to learn such a complex language and even if I did, I would probably never get to use it. Though some Finns I know were surprisingly aggressive about my liking to Ievan Polkka; they were quite embarassed and said stuff along the lines of, "We hate being known for that, please stop with this nonsense, OMG no!"

Why is that? This song is widely known around the world and I have not seen a single person who doesn't like it, honestly. Yes, it is mainly used for "funny purposes" around but in reality, it's a very decent song with an absolute Finnish touch. Is there something we outsiders don't know about this song? Or are you guys just bored of hearing the same thing from foreigners and get somehow annoyed even though the song is just fine?

StiffSquid

Nov 17, 2016
North Carolina
Not a song but question: what do Finnish people think of Ievan Polkka? I love this song very much. Like, really. I even attempted to learn Finnish for a while because of it but then came to my senses and succumbed to the fact that I would never be able to learn such a complex language and even if I did, I would probably never get to use it. Though some Finns I know were surprisingly aggressive about my liking to Ievan Polkka; they were quite embarassed and said stuff along the lines of, "We hate being known for that, please stop with this nonsense, OMG no!"

Why is that? This song is widely known around the world and I have not seen a single person who doesn't like it, honestly. Yes, it is mainly used for "funny purposes" around but in reality, it's a very decent song with an absolute Finnish touch. Is there something we outsiders don't know about this song? Or are you guys just bored of hearing the same thing from foreigners and get somehow annoyed even though the song is just fine?

Nothing wrong with the song imo. Finns just seem to be ashamed of their own culture sometimes. They want to be western Europeans so bad , or Americans. And especially in the music you get some really hilarious and embarrassing results from that. We Finns should embrace our own quirky culture. It's a beautiful thing.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
Nothing wrong with the song imo. Finns just seem to be ashamed of their own culture sometimes. They want to be western Europeans so bad , or Americans. And especially in the music you get some really hilarious and embarrassing results from that. We Finns should embrace our own quirky culture. It's a beautiful thing.
wut :laugh: we are western europeans and imo if somebody doesnt like that song it doesnt mean they dont like the history of this country. Foreigners usually know only sandstorm and levan polka when talking about finnish songs. I have no problem with that song but I understand that somebody doesnt want to hear about it anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->