OT: CBC wins FIFA World Cup TV rights

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
CBC wins World Cup soccer rights
Last Updated Fri, 15 Sep 2006 10:59:17 EDT
CBC Sports

The world's best soccer players are coming to the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation and Radio-Canada through 2014.

Italy's team celebrates their World Cup win in July. (Shaun Botterill/Getty Images) CBC/Radio-Canada reached a comprehensive programming agreement with FIFA, soccer's global governing body, on Friday for Canadian broadcasting rights from 2007 to 2014.

The deal features the 2010 and 2014 World Cup soccer tournaments. It also includes the 2007 men's under-20 World Cup in Canada, the 2007 women's World Cup in China and the 2011 women's World Cup.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/sports/national/2006/09/15/cbc-fifa.html

ANy thoughts as to what this might been for the rights to HNIC in Canada? There was some thought CBC can't or won't compete with Bell Globemedia's offer for those rights, but clearly the Mother Corp is still interested in sports programming.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
CBC wins World Cup soccer rights
Last Updated Fri, 15 Sep 2006 10:59:17 EDT
CBC Sports

The world's best soccer players are coming to the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation and Radio-Canada through 2014.

Italy's team celebrates their World Cup win in July. (Shaun Botterill/Getty Images) CBC/Radio-Canada reached a comprehensive programming agreement with FIFA, soccer's global governing body, on Friday for Canadian broadcasting rights from 2007 to 2014.

The deal features the 2010 and 2014 World Cup soccer tournaments. It also includes the 2007 men's under-20 World Cup in Canada, the 2007 women's World Cup in China and the 2011 women's World Cup.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/sports/national/2006/09/15/cbc-fifa.html

ANy thoughts as to what this might been for the rights to HNIC in Canada? There was some thought CBC can't or won't compete with Bell Globemedia's offer for those rights, but clearly the Mother Corp is still interested in sports programming.

Interesting. I guess this means that CBC doesn't plan on retreating from sports programming. I imagine that their intention is to try and match Bell's bid when they do come out with it.

This will work out well from the NHL's perspective. They're going to have an honest-to-goodness bidding war for their services.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Huh. I was sure Sportsnet had the rights for all FIFA events for a few more years.

They secured the rights for all of the FIFA events after the World Cup in 02. That included the Women's World U19 in 2002, the Women's World Cup in 2003, the Men's U20 in 2003, the Confederations' Cup in 2005, and this year's World Cup. Rights must have been up for grabs after the World Cup. It's an unfortunate situation for Sportsnet, because next year's U20 will be shown on CBC, while Sportsnet still holds the Canadian NT rights. It will be interesting to see how they cross-market it (however, I could see CBC sharing their rights with Sportsnet, since I'm not sure whether a Canadian audience would appreciate every game--including those of other nations--of a junior soccer tournament being televised over other programs, like the National).

It will be interesting as well to see who gets the rights to Euro 2008. I haven't heard whether TSN or Sportsnet have committed to it.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
CBC should aquire other sports too. I read an article that most of their viewership is when there is a sporting events and with the NHL likely going to CTV it's time they look towards other sports.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad