OT: BC Govt balking at subsidizing 2026 World Cup bid

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Just saw on Twitter the Alberta government will say no as well. Really glad to see this happening.
Yeah I mean FIFA was asking for complete tax exemption and wanted labour laws relaxed. Which is a absolutely ridiculous thing to request at all. Especially considering there are thousands of workers dying in order to get their World Cup in Quatar ready. With demands like that the entire bid should be pulled out really.

Reactions: Pilky01

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
If Vancouver was going to host they would need to host the Canadian games plus some QF or a semi final or it doesn't make sense

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
If Vancouver was going to host they would need to host the Canadian games plus some QF or a semi final or it doesn't make sense

No they don't. The Canadian team is an afterthought in Vancouver and there's no guarantee of automatic qualification for Canada.

Edmonton is still going ahead with its bid, and Notley will be out of office by then. Horgan is only acting in order to keep his coalition alive.

CorbeauNoir

Apr 13, 2010
No they don't. The Canadian team is an afterthought in Vancouver and there's no guarantee of automatic qualification for Canada.

Edmonton is still going ahead with its bid, and Notley will be out of office by then. Horgan is only acting in order to keep his coalition alive.

The entire point of bidding at all was that it would give Canada a "free" WC qualification as host, going back to when Canada was contemplating a standalone bid. With the new (stupid) expanded three-team group format they'll be able to fit in three host teams.

Reactions: Voight

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Maybe off topic but I noticed that Toronto FC and Montreal Impact is on CTV. I think the World Cup will be the event that pushes soccer's North American popularity past hockey. Past the border into Mexico. It is a sport after all that anyone can play. With Bell and Disney on board already, they have good media exposure.

The Women's World Cup did not have much of a presence in Winnipeg. Surprised Edmonton bid. Does Vancouver have good outdoor stadium for soccer? Because I think international fans tend to find dome soccer tacky.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
While I think people's insecurity of "my sport is more popular than yours" is rediculous and juvenile, I already think soccer is maybe already bigger than hockey in the USA.

In the end, the internet arguments are just petty and a waste of time. We are fretting over a game where 400,000 out of 325,000,000 people consumed on tv?

Part of what ruined hockey and soccer for me is the annoying fandom that comes with it.

Reactions: Voight

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Heartening to see this finally happening. FIFA is a corrupt mess, and their demands are outrageous. You can see the document and its demands here. Look at some of they're demanding:

The complex and unique nature of the preparation and organisation of the FIFA World Cup, in particular during the Competition, requires a legal environment that allows FIFA and other relevant entities to source employees and other personnel (in particular, experts in all relevant areas) on a temporary basis from all over the world. Therefore, the Government is requested to guarantee the issuance of valid work permits unconditionally and without any restriction or discrimination of any kind.

Therefore, the Government is requested to grant accordant exemptions from labour law and other legislation.

Who wants to bet that means FIFA wants to unconditionally bring in marginalized foreign workers and then pay them less than minimum wage? The only real stated condition on exemption from labour laws is that those exemptions won't impact the government's ability to "protect and fulfill human rights," so they're saying they pretty much demand the right to get away with whatever they want aside from outright physical abuse and death. The inclusion of those demands should earn an automatic no from every country / province / state / city bidding, IMO.

To fulfil the general purpose of Government Guarantee #3 as described above, the Government must grant a general tax exemption for FIFA, the 2026 FWC Entity, the 2026 FWC Subsidiaries (if applicable) and any other FIFA subsidiary limited to the period of preparation, delivery and wrap-up of the Competition, commencing on the date of appointment of the Host Country/Host Countries and ending on 31 December 2028. The duration of the tax exemption will only be extended to the extent necessary for the execution of any payments in cash or otherwise (e.g. through the delivery of goods and services) in connection with the 2026 FIFA World Cup™ legacy programme, which may be established by FIFA, the 2026 FWC Entity, the 2026 FWC Subsidiaries (if applicable) and/or any other FIFA subsidiary.

The Government must grant a limited tax exemption for the FIFA Host Broadcaster and FIFA’s service providers during a period commencing on 1 January 2022 and ending on 31 December 2027

Tax emption for 10 freaking years for FIFA and everything associated with it, and possibly beyond? Good for B.C, happy to see others follow. Hope it becomes a flood. I love the World Cup, but not under these conditions.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
^^^^
Those are ridiculous. Would never allow that in my country. No way.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
I thought hosting nations get in automatic

Not automatic in case of a joint bid - FIFA discretion. SK and Japan were granted automatic qualifiers in 2002. Even with three teams I can't imagine FIFA not granting automatic seeds especially when the tournament will expand to 48 teams. Imagine if USA choked like they did for 2018 and were not to participate as host nation. Absolutely no chance FIFA will take this risk.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
my understanding--that to Q for the world championships Mexico, USA and Canada would play each other twice--with the two countries winning the most getting a free pass in with the third needing to Q the usual way--guess who that would be

also--

anyone pissed that Vancouver pulled out needs to take a long look at how FIFA does things--it is still the most corrupt system in the world--they are just making sure the top guys are the only ones getting kick backs

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
Who wants to bet that means FIFA wants to unconditionally bring in marginalized foreign workers and then pay them less than minimum wage? The only real stated condition on exemption from labour laws is that those exemptions won't impact the government's ability to "protect and fulfill human rights," so they're saying they pretty much demand the right to get away with whatever they want aside from outright physical abuse and death. The inclusion of those demands should earn an automatic no from every country / province / state / city bidding, IMO.

Yes, we will import cheap, in your mind, "Censored insulting slang for Indians and Pakistanis" to build infrastructure. :rolleyes:

Or, you can actually accept the real world version in that the Visa restrictions and Trump's travel ban be rescinded in order to host such events.

All the South American reps along with Costa Rica and Panama require visas for all entries into Canada even for tourist purposes. The world doesn't operate in FIFA, IOC passports. Even UN workers have difficulty getting into countries without the correct paperwork.

Being able to bring in the officials, administrators, and governance for such events requires a much broader reach. Even the UN has hostility to Visa requirements for individuals they want to bring in for their organizations.

You really need to actually look at things rather than what fits your paranoid mind.

Tax emption for 10 freaking years for FIFA and everything associated with it, and possibly beyond? Good for B.C, happy to see others follow. Hope it becomes a flood. I love the World Cup, but not under these conditions.

Of course, legacy groups (among those you hate) have had similar exemptions for years. However, you don't want to go to Victoria, Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Montreal et al. and tell them how they helped rip off taxpayers.

Of course, you could learn to read the fine print, if you choose to.

Last edited by a moderator:

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Yes, we will import cheap, in your mind, "Censored insulting slang for Indians and Pakistanis" to build infrastructure. :rolleyes:

That's your interpretation, not mine. Says more about you than me that that's what jumped to your mind.

Or, you can actually accept the real world version in that the Visa restrictions and Trump's travel ban be rescinded in order to host such events.

All the South American reps along with Costa Rica and Panama require visas for all entries into Canada even for tourist purposes. The world doesn't operate in FIFA, IOC passports. Even UN workers have difficulty getting into countries without the correct paperwork.

Being able to bring in the officials, administrators, and governance for such events requires a much broader reach. Even the UN has hostility to Visa requirements for individuals they want to bring in for their organizations.

You really need to actually look at things rather than what fits your paranoid mind.

It's you who needs to look at things. FIFA did not ask for visas so that tourists and reps could enter past Trump's travel ban, for example. They asked for "unconditional" work permits, and exemptions from labour laws. You don't need exemptions from labour laws in Canada and the United States if you're bringing in representatives. If you want to indulge in naivety whilst FIFA plods along in the mess that is Qatar, supporting / turning a blind eye to blatant abuses of human rights, that's on you, not me. I suggest you take your own advice, read the fine print, and wake up a little bit. I'm sure FIFA appreciates such extreme willfull blindness.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: TheBeastCoast

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
FIFA needs Canada as a potential host a heck of a lot more than Canada needs to host a World Cup.

I think the PR value of a successful solo Canadian WC bid, with mostly established stadiums, would do wonders for FIFA as an organization.

Throwing out the natural vs artificial turf, There's no reason Canada couldn't host with ZERO new stadiums built.

You have got to be kidding with this. :laugh:

Talk about a delusional view of Canada's importance to world soccer.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Oh I'm not delusional. I'm just confident in Canada's ability to host a scandal free tournament. If Canada hosted, I would be in favour of throwing out the auto host qualification.

FIFA is not going to hold a World Cup in Canada using sub-par venues when they could always just toss it into one of the many European countries with adequate facilities. It's not like they are hurting for potential World Cup hosts to the point they have to consider a Canadian bid featuring old dumpy stadiums with substandard capacities and artificial turf.

CorbeauNoir

Apr 13, 2010
Oh I'm not delusional. I'm just confident in Canada's ability to host a scandal free tournament. If Canada hosted, I would be in favour of throwing out the auto host qualification.

From a sheer stadium-capacity perspective in and of itself Canada hosting solo with "ZERO new stadiums built" is a complete fantasy, especially with the enlarged tournament format. There isn't a single stadium in the entire country large enough to satisfy FIFA's requirements for a WC final.

Reactions: Epsilon

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Throwing out the natural vs artificial turf, There's no reason Canada couldn't host with ZERO new stadiums built.

You got one of them +80 000 seats stadium which is a a requirement to host? Only way Canada gets this big of a stadium is if Toronto is grated an NFL team.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
:laugh: OK clearly I'm wrong, and FIFA can continue to go to places like Qatar to host a tournament while Canada cannot.

While Canada doesn't have a stadium with 80,000, at least they built them without major human rights violations.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
While Canada doesn't have a stadium with 80,000, at least they built them without major human rights violations.

Montreal had the opposite problem with Olympics. Instead of exploiting workers, workers exploited the system to siphon Big O building material for other purposes. All under protection of the almighty worker Union.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad