O'sullivan have a real shot at the calder?

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
O'Sullivan will be on the Kings 2nd line.

As it seems now our top 6 is...

Frolov-Conroy-Cammalleri
O'Sullivan-McCauley-Brown

With McCauley covering his defensive gaffs, and Brown clearing out the front of the net, O'Sullivan can do as he pleases.....

CarolinaGirl

Jul 8, 2006
There is no other athlete I want to succeed more than I want Patrick O'Sullivan to succeed. I hope his father stays away.

The Big E

Oct 5, 2005
Minneapolis
He's not THAT great of a player. I've seen him play several times, and I was not impressed.

Besides, he's a *********.
Hmm ... I saw him for the US when we won the WJC. He had a great game. His numbers in Houston prove he's dominant at the AHL level. He won back-to-back rookie-of-the-month's in the AHL which has never been done before. If you're going to slag a player, be a little more specific. That or return to the rock from under which you crawled.

The Big E

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Thats pretty hilarious. Two first time posters, with their first posts, one hates Patty and one loves him.

As for being top ten in that draft, i don't see it. Staal, Phaneuf, Zherdev, Horton, Fleury, Vanek, Getzlaf, Carter, Bernier, Bergeron would go ahead of him then guys like Richards, Suter, Weber, Seabrook, Nillson, Michalek could all be argued too. Top 20 yes, top ten, IMO not at the moment.

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
Thats pretty hilarious. Two first time posters, with their first posts, one hates Patty and one loves him.

As for being top ten in that draft, i don't see it. Staal, Phaneuf, Zherdev, Horton, Fleury, Vanek, Getzlaf, Carter, Bernier, Bergeron would go ahead of him then guys like Richards, Suter, Weber, Seabrook, Nillson, Michalek could all be argued too. Top 20 yes, top ten, IMO not at the moment.

Staal
Phaneuf
Bergeron
Fleury
Horton
Zherdev
Carter
Vanek
O'Sullivan (I think he fits in here very comfortably)
Seabrook
Getzlaf
Weber

willie

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
O'Sullivan (I think he fits in here very comfortably)
Seabrook
Getzlaf
Weber

Watching Weber progress, I have to insist that you are vastly underrating him here. I'm a King fan but I would deal O'Sullivan in a millisecond for a Weber. The guy is an aboslute gem and has the tools to be a #1 defenseman. (and a very good one at that) And one only needs to take a look at the UFA market to realize how scarce defensemen of a high calibre are.

Without getting into lists, let's leave it at this. There are - at least - 20 players from 2003 draft who have a very legitimate chance of being better players than O'Sullivan. And ranking them at this point is a silly exercise until they have all firmly established themselves in the NHL. All we can say about O'Sullivan is that he should have went in the first round. However, given how incredibly stacked that draft was, that is all we can say.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Personally, I see O'Sullivan as one of those fly under the radar type guys. As it stands, Malkin is clearly the favourite coming into this season as long as the Russian side of the Transfer Agreement gets ratified. If it doesn't, then I think O'Sullivan has a very strong case for ROY. If Malkin does come over, I can also see it being a two horse race between O'Sullivan and Malkin.

The one thing that I really like about O'Sullivan is that there is some motivation on his part to prove people wrong. That can go a long way in bringing out the best in his game. Malkin really doesn't have that doubt going his way. That could be the difference maker right there in the ROY race.

puckgoalnet

Feb 23, 2003
Columbus, OH
Visit site
If Malkin does come over, I can also see it being a two horse race between O'Sullivan and Malkin.

Interesting ... you don't think Brule, Kopitar, Bourdon, Staal, Harding, Toivonen or Penner even have a shot?

I think this year will be pretty interesting .... Malkin, Brule, O'Sullivan, Toivonen & Kopitar should all make a pretty good run.

Vic Rattlehead*

Interesting ... you don't think Brule, Kopitar, Bourdon, Staal, Harding, Toivonen or Penner even have a shot?

I think this year will be pretty interesting .... Malkin, Brule, O'Sullivan, Toivonen & Kopitar should all make a pretty good run.

If Toivonen plays like he did last season between November-January, then it should be a very interesting race.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario

Honestly, I don't think Brule will put up the numbers that O'Sullivan or Malkin will put up. As for Staal, he's really a defensive defenseman and the youngest won't even be in Pittsburgh this year. Josh Harding won't get enough starts in Minnesota to warrant consideration and I think the same of Toivonen. I haven't seen enough of Kopitar to say one way or another and I don't see Vigneault giving Bourdon top 4 ice time to make any sort of impact.

As for other rookies outside of O'Sullivan and Malkin, I could see the following making some sort of impact on the ROY race: Cam Barker, Jiri Hudler, Wojtek Wolski, Eric Fehr, and the sleeper, Lukas Kaspar - especially if he plays on the wing with Thornton and Cheechoo.

puckgoalnet

Feb 23, 2003
Columbus, OH
Visit site
As for other rookies outside of O'Sullivan and Malkin, I could see the following making some sort of impact on the ROY race: Cam Barker, Jiri Hudler, Wojtek Wolski, Eric Fehr, and the sleeper, Lukas Kaspar - especially if he plays on the wing with Thornton and Cheechoo.

Like most, I think Malkin will be a machine. Nothing's guaranteed, but he certainly has the skill to rack up the points.

O'Sullivan, I think a lot will depend on what line he lands on. Loads of talent, no doubt. Even though we got Fritsche, I remember being ticked that CBJ didn't take O'Sullivan with that pick.

I'm a homer for Brule, but I think he'll do well points wise. He's already been given the job of #2 center and will be playing between Nash & Vyborny. That will be an interesting line, Nash will drive to the net, Vyborny is fairly cerebral and Brule will be the high-energy wrecking ball.

Hudler & Wolski are good calls. Both have a shot to play with decent linemates and get good minutes. Kaspar, we'll see if he can pull of that job at camp.

Venom_17

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
I don't think Sully has a real shot at it...but who knows. Someone mentioned 40 points for him...I think that is a good estimate. Maybe 50-60 at the most. Malkin SHOULD score between 80-95.

mooseOAK*

O'sullivan is a top 15 prsopect now. How can you say that if you were to redo the draft today he might go 15-25 in that draft?

If the Wild had to throw in a first round pick along O'Sullivan to get Demitra my guess is that top 15 is a little high.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I don't think Sully has a real shot at it...but who knows. Someone mentioned 40 points for him...I think that is a good estimate. Maybe 50-60 at the most. Malkin SHOULD score between 80-95.

hahahahahahahahahahaha.......that's good. O'Sullivan, will definitely score more than 50 to 60 points. I could easily see O'Sullivan putting up numbers that you've got Malkin putting up. Don't underestimate O'Sullivan. He's going to be playing with a huge chip on his shoulder and I'm willing to bet he's going to do some outstanding things this year.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
O'sullivan is a top 15 prsopect now. How can you say that if you were to redo the draft today he might go 15-25 in that draft?

Mainly because most of the top end players in 03 are no longer prospects. Staal, Fleury, Horton, Bergeron, Vanek, Phaneuf, Carter, Zherdev etc are no longer prospects. Also guys who are still prospects from that draft may have more potential than Patty. He is Top 20, but not top 10 or perhaps top 15.

I honestly think O'Sullivan is becoming overated now. Yeah he is a very good prospect, but the previous poster said he expects Patty to easily score more than 50-60 points in his rookie year. Few rookies ever put up more than 60 points. Staal, Horton, Zherdev, Vanek, Bergeron for instance from the 2003 draft didn't. Heck Kovalchuk didn't do it. Jagr didn't either.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Mainly because most of the top end players in 03 are no longer prospects. Staal, Fleury, Horton, Bergeron, Vanek, Phaneuf, Carter, Zherdev etc are no longer prospects. Also guys who are still prospects from that draft may have more potential than Patty. He is Top 20, but not top 10 or perhaps top 15.

I honestly think O'Sullivan is becoming overated now. Yeah he is a very good prospect, but the previous poster said he expects Patty to easily score more than 50-60 points in his rookie year. Few rookies ever put up more than 60 points. Staal, Horton, Zherdev, Vanek, Bergeron for instance from the 2003 draft didn't. Heck Kovalchuk didn't do it. Jagr didn't either.

I think everyone at one point or another is overrated. If listens to all the talk about Malkin, you'd think he was the second coming of Christ. Fact of the matter is that nobody knows who is going to be ROY. Yeah, there are favourites, but then there's carrying it way overboard.

Personally, I think it will probably be someone off the chart who wins it. It's pretty much like that every year. There's always a favourite and then from out of nowhere, this rookie comes out and dominates. Nobody expected Scott Gomez to win ROY when he first entered the league. Nobody expected Chris Drury to win ROY. It's a crapshoot more than anything.

I realize that a lot of rookies don't score more than 60 points in their rookie seasons. However, with the way the game has opened up, there's a better than average chance that we're going to see rookies score higher and higher totals. That's part of the fun about this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->