O'sullivan have a real shot at the calder?

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
to me it depends on which line malkin and O'sullivan play,
If O'sullivan play on the 1st line and Malkin on the 2nd line I would not be surprise to see O'sullivan rack up more points at the end of the year.

Safir*

I bet that LA Kings fans are excited to have a potential Luc Robitaille on the roster, right after Luc retired. That being said, when the Russian transfer agreement isn't signed its a very easy question to answer.;)

btw On line which line (likely) will O'Sullivan play?

Dog as Man

Mostly sniffing around.
Feb 27, 2002
Napa
I bet that LA Kings fans are excited to have a potential Luc Robitaille on the roster, right after Luc retired. That being said, when the Russian transfer agreement isn't signed its a very easy question to answer.;)

We are excited. O' Sullivan will probably push Frolov down to the second line if he has any sucess in the pre-season.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
He might be a finalist...but unless Malkin isn't here for a good 65 games I'm saying no.

Mind you I've always found O'Sullivan to be overrated around here. If he would have been drafted where he should have been he wouldn't have nearly the talk he does. Always made me laugh how guys like Latendresse go from ungodly overrated to ungodly "underrated" according to this place because they fall 20 draft spots.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
He might be a finalist...but unless Malkin isn't here for a good 65 games I'm saying no.

Mind you I've always found O'Sullivan to be overrated around here. If he would have been drafted where he should have been he wouldn't have nearly the talk he does. Always made me laugh how guys like Latendresse go from ungodly overrated to ungodly "underrated" according to this place because they fall 20 draft spots.

If O'Sullivan was drafted "where he should have been" he would have went top ten or so in a strong draft year-he's that talented. I think a player of that ilk deserves some ink. As for whether he has a chance to win the Calder, I think he does if he gets top six ice time with the Kings. Of course Malkin should be considered the favorite but I don't think the competition is a one horse show like some Pens' fans like to make it.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
If O'Sullivan was drafted "where he should have been" he would have went top ten or so in a strong draft year-he's that talented. I think a player of that ilk deserves some ink. As for whether he has a chance to win the Calder, I think he does if he gets top six ice time with the Kings. Of course Malkin should be considered the favorite but I don't think the competition is a one horse show like some Pens' fans like to make it.

Top ten is pushing it. That year was ridiculous in talent, i'd say Top 15, top 20 easily.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Make room, yeah. Most people had him around 15-25 though. When someone goes below where they're supposed to they somehow become more valuable around here than players picked where they should go.

O'Sullivan, Latendresse, Schremp, Hudler...all are prominant victims of this. Mind you Schremp may actually deserve the extra hype...he was given a raw deal his draft year.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

How is O'Sullivan a potential Luc Robitaille, unless you mean a calder winner? Otherwise, they don't really compare at all.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Make room, yeah. Most people had him around 15-25 though. When someone goes below where they're supposed to they somehow become more valuable around here than players picked where they should go.

O'Sullivan, Latendresse, Schremp, Hudler...all are prominant victims of this. Mind you Schremp may actually deserve the extra hype...he was given a raw deal his draft year.

O'Sullivan was a consensus top ten pick his draft year, easily. Most had him falling at most to 15-25.

O'Sullivan is a better player then all of the aforementioned as well.

puckgoalnet

Feb 23, 2003
Columbus, OH
Visit site
If he gets the minutes and right line mates he certainly has a shot at it. I agree with others when they say that as good as Malkin appears to be, like any other prospect he needs to prove it (and likely will). Brule should be in the battle as well, he's penciled in to be centering Nash for the CBJ right now.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
O'Sullivan was a consensus top ten pick his draft year, easily. Most had him falling at most to 15-25.

O'Sullivan is a better player then all of the aforementioned as well.

Consensus? Hardly. Some places had him as a top 10 pick, some had him going out of the first round. There was never any sort of consensus when it came to him.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
O'Sullivan was a clear notch above everyone (including Kopitar) at the Kings prospect camp. His skillset is unbelievable.

KH1

I think that the Calder is much more wide open than people give it credit for. Malkin is going to be a great player but realistically I don't see him blowing away the competition in points this season. He'll probably score the most and be the #1 votegetter but there will be a competition, just like there always is.

mooseOAK*

Maybe a shot at the trophy with a high power rifle equipped with a laser scope from a book depository across from the HHOF, but that's it.

willie

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site

Easily top 10? :shakehead Talk about revisionist history.

That draft was absolutely stacked and to say he was 'easily' a consensus top 10 pick is completely false. Just from browsing the internet, at the CSB mid-term rankings, he was rated 14th out of only CHL players. Not certain where he finished but in a draft like that, he was certainly not a given top 10 pick.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
This is one of those threads that has the potential to pop up again at the end of the year. Should Malkin be handed the Calder now, assuming that he comes over? No, of course not. But he is not merely the favorite but a fairly strong one. And for good reason. He is a Crosby/Ovechkin level prospect (ie, exactly where they were last summer). With all due respect, O'Sullivan while seemingly a very good prospect, is not anywhere near that level. Neither is anyone else potentially coming out next season. Perhaps one of those will end up with a better career than Malkin. But where we are now, judging prospects, we are talking entirely different tiers. Unlike the oft cited example where Crosby was the favorite last year. Ovechkin was always seen in the same stratosphere. Not the case this year. But if you all want another Parise >>> Crosby type thread, I suspect that this one is very very likely to look as silly at the end of the year as that one did. It also unfairly sets O'Sullivan up for 'failure' when he, as is likely, falls behind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->