Confirmed with Link: Oshie to Caps for Brouwer/Copley/2016 3rd

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
The powerplay has been tremendously effective the past few years, and they should milk that formation for all it's worth until the league's meta changes enough that it's no longer effective. That doesn't mean they don't need to keep evolving it and adding new wrinkles and plays. They have done that to an extent so far, with more movement by the player down low and some weird/situational reversed-ice formations being incorporated last year. However, we've seen a couple teams effectively neutralize it (most notably in the playoffs), and they need to stay a step ahead of them. The biggest improvements, IMO, aren't going to happen with the formation, but rather on the zone entry.

PP1:
Johansson
Ovechkin - Williams - Backstrom
Carlson

PP2:
Burakovsky
Ovechkin/[RH shooter] - Oshie - Kuznetsov
Niskanen

PP2 alternate:
Wilson/Williams
Oshie - Burakovsky - Kuznetsov
Orlov​

*Why Johansson over Kuznetsov on PP1? - If Kuznetsov is on PP1, one of he or Backstrom will be secluded beneath the goal line/around the crease. That is not an ideal utilization of their talents. Backstrom has been the PP's QB for quite a while, and as good as Kuznetsov was late in the year, he's not going to supplant Backstrom's role on PP1. Johansson has generally done well in terms of gaining the zone for the PP, and he fills the role down low about as well as can be asked. I don't see what Kuznetsov would bring to that position over Johansson, so I'd rather save Kuznetsov to lead PP2.

*What is PP2 alternate? PP2 alternate is essentially an inversed PP formation, with Kuznetsov as the triggerman. This would be used when Ovechkin is too tired to run the full 2 minutes on the powerplay/is in the box/etc. Oshie would act as the QB in this formation

*Why Williams over Oshie on PP1? Williams fills the slot triggerman and crease presence role more closely than Oshie days, for starters. Additionally, it frees up Oshie to play a more create role on PP2, where Kuznetsov can act as an alternate triggerman on the right boards.

*Who is Ovechkin's back-up? Ideally, Niskanen takes over Ovie's role on PP1 if he in injured, but with a lack of RHD candidates to man the point on PP2, an additional RH shot might need to be added. In terms of the current depth, Galiev is likely the best fit.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I don't care about the PP any more. In the playoffs all set plays go out the window, all you can do is mostly just throw a big volume of pucks on net, get something dirty, or get some individual snipes. And there's few chances, anyway.

As for regular season, I'm sure Caps PP is gonna be great in almost any sane combination of players.

DanTHEMan71

Feb 23, 2010
I was thinking that going into next season our PP% would take a bit of a hit because of losing Green. He was the best guy on the point for our PP, his passes were consistently accurate for one-timers or just moving the puck. Carlson and Niskanen are great offensively, but I think on the PP, Green was more dynamic.

However, looking at Hivemind's PP combinations, I think there's a net gain on the PP just due the fact that we replaced Brouwer/Ward in the slot for Oshie/Williams. That alone will make our PP more unpredictable and generally effective outside of the usual OV one-timer.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Oshie will wear #77. Guess which jersey I'm buying ?

img-299827-m.jpg

:sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
I don't care about the PP any more. In the playoffs all set plays go out the window, all you can do is mostly just throw a big volume of pucks on net, get something dirty, or get some individual snipes. And there's few chances, anyway.

As for regular season, I'm sure Caps PP is gonna be great in almost any sane combination of players.

Yup. As long as we top 15% or so in the regular season it won't make any difference and I really don`t care.

Vilica

Jun 1, 2014
PP2:
Burakovsky
Ovechkin/[RH shooter] - Oshie - Kuznetsov
Niskanen

PP2 alternate:
Wilson/Williams
Oshie - Burakovsky - Kuznetsov
Orlov[/CENTER]

*Why Johansson over Kuznetsov on PP1? - If Kuznetsov is on PP1, one of he or Backstrom will be secluded beneath the goal line/around the crease. That is not an ideal utilization of their talents. Backstrom has been the PP's QB for quite a while, and as good as Kuznetsov was late in the year, he's not going to supplant Backstrom's role on PP1. Johansson has generally done well in terms of gaining the zone for the PP, and he fills the role down low about as well as can be asked. I don't see what Kuznetsov would bring to that position over Johansson, so I'd rather save Kuznetsov to lead PP2.

*What is PP2 alternate? PP2 alternate is essentially an inversed PP formation, with Kuznetsov as the triggerman. This would be used when Ovechkin is too tired to run the full 2 minutes on the powerplay/is in the box/etc. Oshie would act as the QB in this formation

*Why Williams over Oshie on PP1? Williams fills the slot triggerman and crease presence role more closely than Oshie days, for starters. Additionally, it frees up Oshie to play a more create role on PP2, where Kuznetsov can act as an alternate triggerman on the right boards.

*Who is Ovechkin's back-up? Ideally, Niskanen takes over Ovie's role on PP1 if he in injured, but with a lack of RHD candidates to man the point on PP2, an additional RH shot might need to be added. In terms of the current depth, Galiev is likely the best fit.

Watching Blues video from last year of Oshie, their PP was a variation of the 1-3-1, but they weren't as obsessed with the handedness as the Caps were. Oshie played as both the point man with Shattenkirk/Pietrangelo in the Ovi spot, as well as in the Ovi-spot. I do like your PP2 alternate, though I kinda wish we could use Semin in the Williams/Wilson spot. The best part about that alternate is that the Caps could send the same 4 forwards in Wilson/Oshie/Kuznetsov/Burakovsky, and set it up for Oshie 1-timers if Niskanen runs point, or setup for Kuzy/Burra 1-timers if Orlov runs point.

thigpen

Jun 6, 2011
SF Bay Area
There can't be scratches on our shiny new toy dammit! I mean thanks for the write up Pigpen. Most players are simply not giving their all in the regular season and he is hardly alone; a recurring theme in the current era. But we needed shakeup / infusion of skill and that trumps all today.

Sorry didn't mean to scratch the merchandise, just bring some background to the fore. I've no doubt Oshie will excel in the East with the Caps, and bring smiles to many cheering fans. It's entirely possible his former "energizer bunny" tenacity will return when his home-game sleep schedule improves (with the aging of his baby girl). That was the excuse I made for him anyway. He's still a fun player to watch highlight reels of. Hope he knocks Nash on his bum some time again, always liked his reverse hits.

Xaroc

Aug 3, 2005

I hope Ovie and Oshie have a blast this year :handclap:

There are more impactful hits in that highlight reel than I ever saw Brouwer make. Oshie just trucked some people there. Brouwer would finish his checks but hardly ever punish people and almost never get the puck or cause turnovers. So happy we got Oshie.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
Ha! I completely purged Corvo from my memory.

I like 77 for Oshie. I typically don't like the high numbers....but it works for him.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I have no problem with high numbers, but I'm not a huge fan of 77 at the moment. It just seems... ugly.

Looked good on Ray Bourque, though. :dunno:

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
I don't want to ruin the look of our "new toy", but does anyone except Oshie to stay here for more than 2 years? If he does good, I want him to stay but I'm looking at guys like Kuzy, Bura, Carlson, and Alzner who will need to be extended. Is there any way he stays.

Also TJ will be here Saturday to sign autographs and have a press conference in the media conference room. We have had guys who have had press conferences before but that is usually outside the rink in the hallway where you can here pucks flying and hitting the boards. Who was the last major player to use that room. I know it's been awhile. Jagr?

Last edited:

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Best numbers are 9 and 8. 1 is ok in some combinations, 7's are tricky, 92 is an exception, everything else just sucks :)

New marketing idea -- Roman numerals for winners of league trophies!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad