Confirmed with Link: Oshie to Caps for Brouwer/Copley/2016 3rd

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I think the key is getting Oshie to convert on open looks on the PP. His career-high in PPGs is...six. He ought to be able to top that this season if he applies himself just a little bit because he's not just going to get time (albeit maybe PP2 time) but a lot of open looks in prime scoring areas. Get him rolling on the PP and maybe that carries over to 5-on-5 as well.

Turd Ferguson

Its a funny name
Apr 21, 2015
Canada
I think the key is getting Oshie to convert on open looks on the PP. His career-high in PPGs is...six. He ought to be able to top that this season if he applies himself just a little bit because he's not just going to get time (albeit maybe PP2 time) but a lot of open looks in prime scoring areas. Get him rolling on the PP and maybe that carries over to 5-on-5 as well.

I think the shiny new toy gets PP1 time right away. Would Williams get slotted right in there before Oshie? I can't really see that since our PP means so much to us. I think Trotz would put the veteran on the second PP.

PucksInDeep

Oct 1, 2014
I think the shiny new toy gets PP1 time right away. Would Williams get slotted right in there before Oshie? I can't really see that since our PP means so much to us. I think Trotz would put the veteran on the second PP.

Williams has a reputation for having good hands around the net, while Oshie is more of a playmaker. Williams might just be a better fit on PP1.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Hard to say. It makes sense to keep the 5-on-5 C/RW combinations together on each unit to further chemistry so maybe Oshie gets first unit time if he's on the top line. Williams only topped six PPGs once while with the Kings so neither guy has racked them up lately. If both transition well on the PP they ought to both net 20+.

I'm most interested in whether both players fundamentally improve the top six's composure on the puck on the attack and overall chemistry. Part of that's pace to open up lanes and create separation but presence of mind and awareness are areas the top six needs in order to thrive. With two more dynamic 5-on-5 wingers there ought to be more room and more ability to draw PPs provided they're well conditioned and really pushing the pace from day one. If they're just going to play sound defensively and grind then I don't think these acquisitions will pay off tremendously. They need to have a different mindset on the attack as a team in order to maximize their overall improved skill level. I would hope that's the plan rather than just grinding and relying on individual skill level (along the lines of how 65/92 had to play under the circumstances).

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Brouwer has been the slot shot on 1pp. He was never the on the 1st line. I suspect the Caps are not going to redesign the basic PP and that Williams will replace Brouwer

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Was that by design or circumstance? There was no set 1RW and whether one right show or another is hardly some significant redesign. Now, provided honest efforts put forth by all and good health, 1RW should be established between the two.

The off-season has been a search in offensive reliability and how to increase that is not just more skill but a greater degree of cohesion. Again, it makes sense to maximize chemistry by keeping the centers and right wings together 5-on-5 and PP.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
Brouwer has been the slot shot on 1pp. He was never the on the 1st line. I suspect the Caps are not going to redesign the basic PP and that Williams will replace Brouwer

I suspect the Caps will just due to the fact that our PP killed us in the playoffs, at least several different formations instead of always force feeding Ovechkin.

PucksInDeep

Oct 1, 2014
I suspect the Caps will just due to the fact that our PP killed us in the playoffs, at least several different formations instead of always force feeding Ovechkin.

Sinces Oates came in an implemented the current PP setup, the Caps' goals per 60 minutes of PP time is over 16% better than the next best team over that span! The Caps score 9.3 goals per 60 minutes, while PIT scores 8.0 and PHI scores 7.9, and nobody else is over 7.3 goals/60.

They might consider experimenting with some new formations on the 2nd unit, but the Caps have struck absolute gold here with the PP. Adjusting to an aggressive PK unit (like the Rangers') shouldn't require drastically changing up the PP.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
Sinces Oates came in an implemented the current PP setup, the Caps' goals per 60 minutes of PP time is over 16% better than the next best team over that span! The Caps score 9.3 goals per 60 minutes, while PIT scores 8.0 and PHI scores 7.9, and nobody else is over 7.3 goals/60.

They might consider experimenting with some new formations on the 2nd unit, but the Caps have struck absolute gold here with the PP. Adjusting to an aggressive PK unit (like the Rangers') shouldn't require drastically changing up the PP.

yeah by no means do i mean to get away from that PP, but there comes a time (rangers series) where our PP was a dagger. We couldn't do squat, would have been nice to have something else already established.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
They just need a 2nd look that completely changes the PK reads. It's not something they need to break out all the time, but it should be in the arsenal. I think that'd make the primary setup all that more effective.

Turd Ferguson

Its a funny name
Apr 21, 2015
Canada
Williams has a reputation for having good hands around the net, while Oshie is more of a playmaker. Williams might just be a better fit on PP1.

Haven't watched much of Williams other then in the playoffs. If he fits in better, I have no problem. Regardless, I think both are suitable and shouldn't be a problem on PP1. My curiosity lies with how well our PP2 pans out and how much time they get. Last year, Kuzy, Bura and company got the slim pickins of the final 30 seconds or so most time where extended time in zone isn't as likely. Relied heavily on Backy, OV and co. Unless the main guns were poopin the bed, then we gave some scraps to the young ones.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The Caps are not going to move Ovechkin from his spot. They are not going to change from him being the 1st shooting option.

The basic 1-3-1 pp set up requires a guy in that slot to keep the box tight to allow Ov space or to open up the slot shot. A better finisher in that spot would be great. That fits Williams more than Oshie.

They could use Oshie in Jojo's puck carrying RW corner spot but he is a right hand shot. I expect Oshie with get what was Ward's minutes in the slot on the 2nd pp.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I don't think they need to change the PP a ton. The foundation is there, it just needs to be less static when called for. They need to move the puck quicker when under pressure against aggressive PKs and add in some rotation/movement. If they move the slot righty around a little at times it could allow for back door plays or hitting someone else in the high slot. More capable righty passers in Williams/Oshie ought to allow them to add those wrinkles on top of what they already do. The play will still be carried through 19/92 primarily but they should have more flexibility to create different looks.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Here's what I would do for the PP:
PP1:
Williams in the slot
Backstrom near the goal line on the right side
Kuznetsov on the half wall
Carlson at the point
Ovechkin in his spot

PP2 :
Oshie in the slot
Johansson near the goal line on the right side
Burakovsky on the half wall
Niskanen at the point
Ovechkin in his spot

Turd Ferguson

Its a funny name
Apr 21, 2015
Canada
Here's what I would do for the PP:
PP1:
Williams in the slot
Backstrom near the goal line on the right side
Kuznetsov on the half wall
Carlson at the point
Ovechkin in his spot

PP2 :
Oshie in the slot
Johansson near the goal line on the right side
Burakovsky on the half wall
Niskanen at the point
Ovechkin in his spot

Have you been playing NHL 15? Putting OV on all your line combinations :sarcasm:

Not that I am against it, but practice/have someone else slotted there and if on game day OV is on fire put him on all 2 minutes or if player x at that position is under performing.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Have you been playing NHL 15? Putting OV on all your line combinations :sarcasm:

Not that I am against it, but practice/have someone else slotted there and if on game day OV is on fire put him on all 2 minutes or if player x at that position is under performing.

I'd let him there for the full 2 minutes. He doesn't skate a lot on the PP, he makes the goalie **** his pants just by standing there. Having Ovi on the PP can either give you an automatic goal or make it a 4 on 3 PP.

I just couldn't stand to see Niskanen fan on his one timers last year.

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com

Ovechkin has often been double-shifted on the power play during games. Not always, but often.

Ed - less so last year once the Caps added Niskanen.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Ovechkin has often been double-shifted on the power play during games. Not always, but often.

Ed - less so last year once the Caps added Niskanen.

Niskanen was not able to capitalize like Ovie. I'd leave Ovie out there as much as possible on the PP.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Oshie needs to use his shot as much as possible. He's got a deceptive quick release and his wrist shot is rather accurate. He'll get a lot of scoring opportunities thanks to Backstrom's passing and Ovi getting all the attention of the opposition. He's got great hands and a breakaway is an automatic goal for him. I think he could score 25-30 goals.

Can't wait to see him play for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->