Oshie in this years draft

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
why whenever I hear the name TJ Oshie, i think it sounds like a character from Super Mario Brothers

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
Definitely the top 10 and arguably top 5 depending on my team's needs.

Oshie is just so talented and has proven himself to be on the verge of blue-chip status.

insider

Nov 14, 2003
HockeyFan850 said:
he got drafted 2 yrs ago or last yr by st.louis blues
He's asking if Oshie were eligable.

I don't think he'd go much higher than last year. 15 max unless some team really likes him.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
HockeyFan850 said:
he got drafted 2 yrs ago or last yr by st.louis blues
He got drafted last year at 24th overall. Prior to him being taken, the average draft follower had never heard of his name and even experts predicted that he would go in the 2nd or 3rd round. He was a young high-schooler playing in the USHL and truly a diamond in the rough. Not only did he not blow anyone away with his production, he was small (in the vicinity of 5'9'' 165 pounds). But during the WJC, he really dominated and was arguably the USA's best forward. Since then, he has been a leader on North Dakota's line-up and is producing / outproducing top-notch prospects like Drew Stafford and Travis Zajac.

In terms of raw talent, he isn't too far off from Phil Kessel. He really rocketed up in the last year and has been sensational on every level. It is hard to gauge how good of a prospect will be but sometimes scout work on potential. Looking at Oshie's progress over the last two years, it is possible that he could one day become a superstar in the NHL.

trublu16

May 8, 2003
U.S.A.
Visit site
Jovanovski = Norris said:
He got drafted last year at 24th overall. Prior to him being taken, the average draft follower had never heard of his name and even experts predicted that he would go in the 2nd or 3rd round. He was a young high-schooler playing in the USHL and truly a diamond in the rough. Not only did he not blow anyone away with his production, he was small (in the vicinity of 5'9'' 165 pounds). But during the WJC, he really dominated and was arguably the USA's best forward. Since then, he has been a leader on North Dakota's line-up and is producing / outproducing top-notch prospects like Drew Stafford and Travis Zajac.

In terms of raw talent, he isn't too far off from Phil Kessel. He really rocketed up in the last year and has been sensational on every level. It is hard to gauge how good of a prospect will be but sometimes scout work on potential. Looking at Oshie's progress over the last two years, it is possible that he could one day become a superstar in the NHL.

Very well put. Jovanovski.

Jarmo K nailed a diamond in the ruff, and now since everyone knows about Oshie. They just wonder where he would go if they had another chance at getting him in the draft.

But the real question for this prosepect and the Blues organization would be one thing. Is he going to be a superstar centerman or winger? My guess would be winger due to the smaller size. Maybe he will make it at a centerman, but I think his size is going to determine that he will better suited on the wing.

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
i wouldn't put him ahead of....

Erik johnson
Nicklas Backstrom
Jordan Staal
Phil kessel
Jonathan Toews
Derick Brassard
Peter Mueller
Kyle Okposo
Bryan Little
Jiri Tlusty....

after that i would slot him in.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
TJ Oshie is a weaker version of Zack Parise. Smart, hard working, willing to do anything. At college it looks great. Zack will be a solid 2 line guy. Oshie second to third. So when do you want to take a guy with a ceiling of 2-3 line potential.

Just Joshin'

Mar 11, 2004
In this draft, I think Emmerton would be a good comparison to Oshie. Both have great playmaking and skating ability but lack ideal size for a forward. If Oshie was in this draft, he'd probably be a late 1st round pick (anywhere between 18-30), and that's kinda where I'm expecting Emmerton to go. St. Louis was pretty high on Oshie last year, and I imagine there's a team out there that feels the same about Emmerton.

Last edited:

Checker*

Is this the same Oshie that finished second to Kessel by one vote in freshman of the year honors and ahead of Toews in that same voting? Is this the same Oshie who had more game winning goals than either player? Going into last years draft, Oshie was just a high school kid who was much shorter and lighter than he ended up being at UND. Going into this year's draft, Oshie was a standout performer at the WJCs for Team USA and a freshman phenom and team leader for UND. Oshie would go 2-10 in this draft. Period.

Sam

Feb 27, 2002
Would guess Oshie would go in the 6-14 range for the draft. As a Kings fan, I'd be very happy taking Oshie with the 11th pick.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Agree with most, 10-15ish sounds about right, but I wouldnt be suprised to see a team take him even at 8 or 9.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Checker said:
Is this the same Oshie that finished second to Kessel by one vote in freshman of the year honors and ahead of Toews in that same voting? Is this the same Oshie who had more game winning goals than either player? Going into last years draft, Oshie was just a high school kid who was much shorter and lighter than he ended up being at UND. Going into this year's draft, Oshie was a standout performer at the WJCs for Team USA and a freshman phenom and team leader for UND. Oshie would go 2-10 in this draft. Period.
But surely you realise that it's miselading to compare a player drafted last year to players who are actually in this year's draft? And I'm also you sure you realise that success in the NCAA will not be duplicated exactly in the NHL

Do you really think Oshie is a better pro prospect than Toews and Kessel, or Staal and Backstrom for that matter?

Checker*

timlap said:
But surely you realise that it's miselading to compare a player drafted last year to players who are actually in this year's draft? And I'm also you sure you realise that success in the NCAA will not be duplicated exactly in the NHL

Do you really think Oshie is a better pro prospect than Toews and Kessel, or Staal and Backstrom for that matter?

Sure, Oshie is a year older and farther along in his development than these guys, but I thought the point of this was to compare Oshie as he is now to these prospects as they are now.

I realize that NCAA hockey is much different than NHL hockey but I fail to see what parts of Oshie's game won't translate well. He's defensively sound, goes into traffic and makes something happen every shift he is on the ice. Sure some of the moves he uses will be snuffed out by defenders but Oshie has also shown a great ability to adapt, as there were doubts about if he was ready to make the jump from high school to UND and how effective he would be. He's also shown the leadership and clutch skills that players either have or they don't. I think worst case scenario he's a second liner whose presence on the team and knack for clutch goals make him extremely vauable to this team in the long haul.

I'm saying that as a Blues fan, I doubt you'd be able to find one other fellow Blues fan willing to trade Oshie under any circumstance straight up for anything less than the 10th overall in this year's draft. I'd say his value would be anywhere from 2-10 in this year's draft.

Last edited by a moderator:

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
Plager05 said:
He was out scored by Stafford and Zajac, but Oshie had 9 GWGs, too i think at the most 3 or 4 by anyone else.

#1 - Drew Stafford: 41 GP - 24 G - 23 A - 47 P
#2 - T.J. Oshie: 43 GP - 24 G - 21 A - 45 P
#3 - Travis Zajac: 44 GP - 17 G - 27 A - 44 P
#4 - Jonathon Toews: 41 GP - 21 G - 17 A - 38 P

If by being "out scored," you actually mean out-assisted, then you have a point. Oshie outscored Zajac in less games played. That isn't even to mention that Oshie is 1.5 - 2 years younger than both Stafford and Zajac, both of whom are considered near-elite prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad