Oshawa Generals 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Couple things from that game:

-Brutal start, Gens seem to have a lot of them this year but then have really good 2nds/3rds which happened again tonight

-I really don’t like just sitting Keyser against good teams and saying we’ll probably lose anyways. Ceci wasn’t bad tonight but if Keyser starts, maybe we win that game. And now it doesn’t look possible to catch NIA for home ice, unless they lose 2 of their last 3, which is highly unlikely

-I don’t think I’ve ever seen a coach pull his goalie while they’re still winning. Donofrio is 10-1-1 this year and Gruden doesn’t trust him in a 4-3 game against a team who isn’t going to even get home ice, while you’re the best team? What a kick in the nuts for Donofrio. If Fulcher goes down in the playoffs, Hamilton now has no shot to win. There’s no chance that kid will have any confidence.

-last point: what a classic Riley Stillman game. Scores early on and you’re like wow this kid can really play. Then as the game goes on he constantly gets caught out of position and has to take 2 bad penalties because he completely stops moving his feet and the guy blows passed him. Still can’t believe Hunt got a 2nd/3rd for half a season of Stillman

vince

Dec 6, 2017
Couple things from that game:

-Brutal start, Gens seem to have a lot of them this year but then have really good 2nds/3rds which happened again tonight

-I really don’t like just sitting Keyser against good teams and saying we’ll probably lose anyways. Ceci wasn’t bad tonight but if Keyser starts, maybe we win that game. And now it doesn’t look possible to catch NIA for home ice, unless they lose 2 of their last 3, which is highly unlikely

-I don’t think I’ve ever seen a coach pull his goalie while they’re still winning. Donofrio is 10-1-1 this year and Gruden doesn’t trust him in a 4-3 game against a team who isn’t going to even get home ice, while you’re the best team? What a kick in the nuts for Donofrio. If Fulcher goes down in the playoffs, Hamilton now has no shot to win. There’s no chance that kid will have any confidence.

-last point: what a classic Riley Stillman game. Scores early on and you’re like wow this kid can really play. Then as the game goes on he constantly gets caught out of position and has to take 2 bad penalties because he completely stops moving his feet and the guy blows passed him. Still can’t believe Hunt got a 2nd/3rd for half a season of Stillman

About Donofrio....Coach pulled him for not playing well, BUT also to try and take away any momentum that Oshawa had with their second period comeback, AND he knew he had to win this game especially with Barrie right behind Hamilton in the standings, AND Hamilton having a 3-0 lead right off the bat only to see things going downhill at that time.

As for Fulcher/Donofrio combo.....I have always said from mid-season when all the Hamilton trades were being made (many weeks prior to the deadline) that an experienced goalie was needed. Why? My feelings were that if you trade for all the scoring talent you received, you need a goalie to protect those trades. It would be like trading for outstanding hitters in baseball, but the team has no pitching or defence. You rarely win without all three facets. Hamilton got the scoring, but Fulcher has not been lights out at any point this year, regardless of what people might say. He has been shaky many nights, giving up easy goals while making difficult saves at the same time. Basically you dont know what Fulcher you get. I am his biggest fan, but he doesnt give you the confidence that Helvig gives his team in Kingston for instance. In addition, if Fulcher doesnt play well or gets injured prior to or in the playoffs, Donofrio wont be the answer as he simply isnt ready for any long playing time. That would just make all those expensive trades all for not, and that would hurt.

Here's hoping Fulcher finds his game in the playoffs and shows the consistency you need to help get a team to the promised land.

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
The Generals have released playoff home games scenarios:

Unofficially, playoff schedule scenarios are as follows:

Scenario 1 - Oshawa (4) vs. Niagara (5)

• Home Game - Friday, March 23rd at Oshawa starting at 7:35
  • Home Game - Sunday, March 25th at Oshawa starting at 6:35
  • Home Game - Friday, March 30th at Oshawa starting at 7:35* if necessary
  • Home Game - Tuesday, April 3rd at Oshawa starting at 7:05 * if necessary

Scenario 2 - Niagara (4) or Kingston (3) vs. Oshawa (5) or Oshawa (6)

• Home Game - Tuesday, March 27th at Oshawa starting at 7:05
  • Home Game - Thursday, March 29th at Oshawa starting at 7:05
  • Home Game - Sunday, April 1st at Oshawa starting at 6:05* if necessary

Road games vary with each scenario and will be released when made official.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
You want to head into the playoffs on a roll and the Gens are that having won 10 of their last 13 games.

A couple of trap games remain with non-playoff teams Peterborough and Sudbury. Must stay healthy and disciplined.

Last edited:
Reactions: Generalsupdates

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
You want to head into the playoffs on a roll and the Gens are that having won 10 of their last 13 games.

A couple of trap games remain with non-playoff teams Peterborough and Sudbury. Must stay healthy and disciplined.

Big one tonight between NIA and HAM. If Niagara wins that then they've basically clinched 4th, but if they lose then the Gens still have a great shot at 4th. Would need to win both of the PBO/SBY games but those are 2 teams with little to play for and the Gens have beaten each of them 6 straight games. After tonight, Niagara has Erie and Mississauga. Very unlikely Erie beats them, but Mississauga could, especially if that game still matters for seeding for them and they're not sitting Tippett/McLeod/Hague

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Going to be fun Hamilton one and one at the Meridian Missy zero for two at the Meridian the Dogs have split two games in Erie.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
I frequently watch the Generals on Sunday evening home games and I’ve been impressed. They played very well in Kingston though it obviously wasn’t the Fronts best game. I like the makeup of the team with Studnicka, Commiso, Huether etc. Really impressed with Noel and Kratenbergs. If Keyser continues to play well for me the Gens are in the mix in the east and could surprise.

Going on a fan bus Sunday which should be fun. Bring on the beer!

Reactions: Generalsupdates

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Niagara won tonight so if they get 1 more point this year against Erie or MISS, they finish 4th. I'd expect the Gens to now rest some guys Sunday night. Sucks for Keyser because now he won't start both and is 2 wins away from 30

Gens home games in round 1 will be:
Game 3: Tuesday, March 27th, 7:05pm
Game 4: Thursday, March 29th, 7:05pm
Game 6 if necessary: Sunday, April 1st, 6:05pm

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
Niagara won tonight so if they get 1 more point this year against Erie or MISS, they finish 4th. I'd expect the Gens to now rest some guys Sunday night. Sucks for Keyser because now he won't start both and is 2 wins away from 30

Gens home games in round 1 will be:
Game 3: Tuesday, March 27th, 7:05pm
Game 4: Thursday, March 29th, 7:05pm
Game 6 if necessary: Sunday, April 1st, 6:05pm
not doubting you but your scenario by only needing 1 point to clinch 4th is it wrong. let's say they only get 1 point and the gens win both games that would make us tied with 77 pts each and we have split the season series, but we would have a total of 4 more wins than Niagara so wouldn't we finish 4th? just asking

PEPSIHEAD

May 15, 2004
not doubting you but your scenario by only needing 1 point to clinch 4th is it wrong. let's say they only get 1 point and the gens win both games that would make us tied with 77 pts each and we have split the season series, but we would have a total of 4 more wins than Niagara so wouldn't we finish 4th? just asking

You are right, it is a combination of two points for Niagara to clinch fourth. The bigger issue is, what if Niagara wins both of their games and the Fronts fail to gain a point in their final two games, Niagara would climb to third and Kingston would fall to fourth.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017

You're right, I thought Niagara was at 77 points for some reason but they're at 76

Btw, Tullio with another 2 goals against London Jr. Knights and had 12 shots on net. He's dominating the best teams in the province at the OHL Cup so far and 2nd in the tournament in scoring (he's tied with Quinton Byfield). Perfetti in round 1 and Tullio in round 2 wouldn't be so bad.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad