Oshawa Generals 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Roger Hunt (and his staff) really are the best in the league at finding talent that other teams have given up on. Cole Ceci has been unbelievable for the Gens and that continued tonight. Pretty impressive to sweep London without Keyser playing in either game (Gauthier beat them then Ceci did)

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I thought tonight was Mitch Brewer's best game of the season. He's a beast out there blocking shot and winning battles constantly against guys older than him

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
(Don't read this first sentence if you're a Mississauga or Owen Sound fan)

Wow, having a good goalie sure is a luxury....

I'm fine with that game tonight. Gens outplayed them but DiPietro is just too good. Gens probably had 5-10 breakaways/2-on-1s. Windsor D really weren't very good at all in transition, but with DiPietro behind you, I guess that doesn't matter lol.

Noel left injured late in the 2nd and didn't return though, that's a guy the Gens offence really can't afford to lose. He had 4 breakaways in the last 2 nights alone (although didn't score on any of them).

Sarnia was up 6-0 with 2 minutes left in the 2nd period and lost 7-6 in OT tonight. So either the Gens are going to get a Sarnia team completely down in the dumps, or Sarnia will come out pissed off and flying....

Last edited:

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Sarnia blowing one of the biggest leads ever last night makes me think today won’t be pretty. You don’t see a top 3 team in the country go 0-3 on a weekend too often...

I’ll go 5-1 SAR, Ruzicka

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
I know, I know, the Gens have played against 2 very good goaltenders yesterday and again today but they seriously have to find some snipers between now and next year. They have way too much difficulty scoring goals. Time for a sniper search.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Getting 2/6 points obviously is less than ideal, but in terms of how they played, you gotta be impressed with this weekend from the Gens. Outplay London, Windsor and Sarnia all on the road. Ran into 2 of the best goalies in the league in the last 2 games and they stopped 80/81.

Gens really can't catch a break though with the injures. Finally starting to get close to healthy and they lose Noel, who is a massive part of this offence. Apparently he was walking around in SAR without a sling on so that's good news since it looked like it was his arm/shoulder when he ran into the boards

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
The Gens remind a lot of the Canadiens during October and into mid-November. They too often outplayed and outshot most teams on a nightly basis, but still lost repeatedly. They too had a myriad of injuries during that time. Maybe the Gens will go on a streak like their Montreal counterparts are on now

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
The Gens remind a lot of the Canadiens during October and into mid-November. They too often outplayed and outshot most teams on a nightly basis, but still lost repeatedly. They too had a myriad of injuries during that time. Maybe the Gens will go on a streak like their Montreal counterparts are on now

Not to say that Kyle Keyser is Carey Price, because he obviously is not. But in Jr hockey (or even the NHL for that matter) if you lose your goalie for a month, you're going to be in trouble no matter who you are. Especially a young team like the Gens. Peccia really struggled today again. Ceci has been great lately in his games. Wonder what happens when Keyser does come back. Right now, Ceci has to be the backup based on performance. But obviously Ceci isn't in the plans passed this year and Peccia is. Will be interesting

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I know, I know, the Gens have played against 2 very good goaltenders yesterday and again today but they seriously have to find some snipers between now and next year. They have way too much difficulty scoring goals. Time for a sniper search.

Agree with the need for a sniper. Anyone you'd target in particular? Obviously needs to be someone who's back next year

Unless you can find a Mercier for cheap again lol

Last edited:

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
Ideally, Lodnia (very costly to the point of being prohibitive) or Kyle Maksimovich from Erie, Kirill Maksimov from Niagara or Brazeau The cost would be high for each of them but Lodnia or Maksimov would be my priority as they each have (potentially) 2 years remaining and I think 2019/20 would be the year to shoot for. I would be all in for him; the rest would definitely have to come back as overagers next year, so no!.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
World Juniors- Division I is Dec 10-17 in France so I assume we'll be without Krastenbergs for the next 5 games. If Noel is out too then those are our 2 best wingers out of the lineup... Gens really can't afford that

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
Ideally, Lodnia (very costly to the point of being prohibitive) or Kyle Maksimovich from Erie, Kirill Maksimov from Niagara or Brazeau The cost would be high for each of them but Lodnia or Maksimov would be my priority as they each have (potentially) 2 years remaining and I think 2019/20 would be the year to shoot for. I would be all in for him; the rest would definitely have to come back as overagers next year, so no!.
All the players you mention I would love to have but we don't have the players could aquire them and the playears Erie would want I don't want to give up, I my opinion we won't make a big trade with anyone, all I see happening is something on defense as we have an overload of them, but as Roger Hunt on our GM you never know

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Maksimov not leaving Niagara

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
Agree with you completely Naz...just 'California Dreaming'! And you are right on Three Dog Night, he won't.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
All the players you mention I would love to have but we don't have the players could aquire them and the playears Erie would want I don't want to give up, I my opinion we won't make a big trade with anyone, all I see happening is something on defense as we have an overload of them, but as Roger Hunt on our GM you never know

Erie needs picks far more than players. They have 0 2nd rounders and only 2 3rd rounders in the next 7 drafts combined. A young player doesn't do nearly as much as picks do for them. Especially if it's not an '01 player, which you wouldn't get for Lodnia. Not saying the Gens will get him because I don't think they spend big for anyone, but you could get Lodnia for just picks I think, although it would be quite a few 2nds+3rds

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Erie needs picks far more than players. They have 0 2nd rounders and only 2 3rd rounders in the next 7 drafts combined. A young player doesn't do nearly as much as picks do for them. Especially if it's not an '01 player, which you wouldn't get for Lodnia. Not saying the Gens will get him because I don't think they spend big for anyone, but you could get Lodnia for just picks I think, although it would be quite a few 2nds+3rds
Lodnia is a good player. 25th in points on the OHL stat sheet. I doubt he would command "quite a few 2nds and 3rds". If he was a top five guy maybe.

Reactions: Finster8

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
i
Lodnia is a good player. 25th in points on the OHL stat sheet. I doubt he would command "quite a few 2nds and 3rds". If he was a top five guy maybe.

It's more because you're paying for multiple seasons of him. Chris Paquette cost the Petes 4 2nds and a 3rd last year and Lodnia is considerably better than Chris Paquette is

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Guess it depends if a GM is dumb enough to take the bait:naughty:

Haha very true. I’d bet Erie uses that trade to create their “demand” though and they don’t need to trade him this year like they do with Raddysh/Sambrook so if the demands don’t get met they could just keep him until next year

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
Which may be a more opportune time to try to get him assuming he would still be available.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Gens HFBoards Standings:
Last Game Calculated: Dec 3 @ SAR

GeneralsUpdates: 20
Pepsihead: 14
GensFan2K2: 12
Coolwood: 9
Naz: 7
SH15: 2
TuckerFan1: 2