Oscar Moller or Brett MacLean

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Both are offensive wingers, one ranked #24 and one #25 by ISS. MacLean has support in Tavares, Clutterbuck and Mitchell. Moller is basically by himself. So who's the better pick at this draft?

KadoCH

Apr 18, 2004
Brett MacLean for me but I haven't seen Oscar Moller to much this year.

It's not because of just Tavares that MacLean looks good he has a good shot, good hands, is good in the cycle game, good size for a winger, and drives the net hard.

He has average skating but that will get better and isn't that bad.

Superfly Jimmy Snuka

Aug 12, 2006
maclean can play well without Tavares, I think hes a better playmaker than he is a goalscorer, I haven't seen Moeller but from what I hear theyre both good picks to take

Ferjo

Sep 28, 2004
i've been a big fan of maclean since early last year, but I really don't think he has top-6 potential, where as Moller will be able to fit in anywhere in the lineup and succeed.

Maclean to me is an Alex Ponikarovsky clone, though a little smaller, he might be even better down low. I think in this draft he'll be a good late first rounder or early second round pick, but Moller is much more of a natural offensive talent who is "very good" in just about every area of the game.

I'd have Moller 10-15, Maclean 25-40

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
i've been a big fan of maclean since early last year, but I really don't think he has top-6 potential, where as Moller will be able to fit in anywhere in the lineup and succeed.

Maclean to me is an Alex Ponikarovsky clone, though a little smaller, he might be even better down low. I think in this draft he'll be a good late first rounder or early second round pick, but Moller is much more of a natural offensive talent who is "very good" in just about every area of the game.

I'd have Moller 10-15, Maclean 25-40
Maclean will go mid 1st round and I have no doubt about that

BlueJays

Dec 12, 2005
MacLean relies heavily on JT....and Clutterbuck...or Buttercup as they call him in the 'Shwa.....I would take Moller ahead of MacLean absolutely & without any hesitation...

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
Moller is an absolutely fantastic young hockey player. I went and saw the Bruins play earlier this month and was really blown away by just how good he actually is.

Excellent skater, great puck skills, fairly smart. I'd be thrilled if the Canucks grabbed him in the first round.

Louis Houde

Jan 28, 2006
Trois-rivières
I dont like the fact that Brett MacLean is a playoff chocker, cant stand up his game when its important.

Also, its very easy to put many points with Tavares in the OHL. Nevertheless, I think he could be a 2nd liner if theres no peaking in his developement but Moller got more upside and plays with more grit.

KadoCH

Apr 18, 2004
I dont like the fact that Brett MacLean is a playoff chocker, cant stand up his game when its important.

Also, its very easy to put many points with Tavares in the OHL. Nevertheless, I think he could be a 2nd liner if theres no peaking in his developement but Moller got more upside and plays with more grit.

Ahh MacLean has only ever played in the playoffs once in major junior he was 16 so what proof other than that are going on as a playoff choker have you seen him in midget? Also he scored at the same pace in those playoffs as he did the rest of the season it was only 6 career games though.

If you have ever seen MacLean play you would know he has his own presence on the ice he compliments Tavares well, but he also scores on his own and is good for drving the net and a good team player.

Superfly Jimmy Snuka

Aug 12, 2006

yea seeing as Maclean has been in the playoffs once and as a rookie, kinda lame point there...unless your a Stamkos or someone extraordinary as a rookie you dont see much ice in the post season

Roger's Pancreas*

Ahh MacLean has only ever played in the playoffs once in major junior he was 16 so what proof other than that are going on as a playoff choker have you seen him in midget? Also he scored at the same pace in those playoffs as he did the rest of the season it was only 6 career games though.

If you have ever seen MacLean play you would know he has his own presence on the ice he compliments Tavares well, but he also scores on his own and is good for drving the net and a good team player.
Yea, I don't get where all this leaching non-sense is coming from. Jon Sim proved that you can not put a chimp with a great player and expect great results. One player needs to compliment the other for them to be truly effective, and it looks like MacLean is doing his job rather well.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
I guess people are quite worried that the Maclean-Tavares situation isn't similar to the Nolan-Slaney one 17-18 years ago where you have two prospects producing well but only one being a real top prospect with real top-end potential.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
I don't think Maclean has the skating ability Moller does...He is a lot bigger than Moller so maybe if you want more size that will determine your pick....they play different styles....Moller is more skilled and a better puck handler--he reminds me of Daniel Alfredsson and I think has that kind of upside....Maclean I don't think projects as more than a 2nd liner upside...

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
I don't think Maclean has the skating ability Moller does...He is a lot bigger than Moller so maybe if you want more size that will determine your pick....they play different styles....Moller is more skilled and a better puck handler--he reminds me of Daniel Alfredsson and I think has that kind of upside....Maclean I don't think projects as more than a 2nd liner upside...
Good point, I never thought of that though id still pick Moller

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
So is it safe to say Moller is a rather "safe" pick ? I'm really interested by what I hear about him... I'd love for Toronto to pick him up at 13.

Zeus6754

May 8, 2006
Moller is an absolutely fantastic young hockey player. I went and saw the Bruins play earlier this month and was really blown away by just how good he actually is.

Excellent skater, great puck skills, fairly smart. I'd be thrilled if the Canucks grabbed him in the first round.
Jericho87 said:
So is it safe to say Moller is a rather "safe" pick ? I'm really interested by what I hear about him... I'd love for Toronto to pick him up at 13.

There was a pretty good HF article written about him from awhile back. I've heard he's a pretty 'gritty' player. I'm hoping he slips to my Pens in round 1.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Moller is one of the guys I have my eyes on for Toronto too. :) Also, Sutter, Hamill, and maybe Tyrell, O'Brien, and Mayorov. I like Logan MacMillan too, but is that too early to pick him? Throw in Lars Eller and that about covers all my options.

AgentNaslund*

I saw Moller for 4 of the 5 games vs Giants. He looked average and ineffective.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
I saw Moller for 4 of the 5 games vs Giants. He looked average and ineffective.

the giants are great defensively. maybe they where able to shut him down. he is pretty much the only scoring threat to other teams so if you are able to shut him down you are pretty much guaranteed to win if you score a couple of goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->