Orr Vs Gretzky

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleeney

Mar 29, 2008
Even though he was extremely competitive, Orr was remarkably unconcerned with personal stats. It was always about the team, and nothing else. After he scored a goal, no matter how spectacular it might have been, he would just put his head down and want to get on with the game. In fact, the only times I can recall him celebrating after a goal, was when it was a huge goal for the team, such as his ’70 Cup winner, or when he did that little dance after scoring the winner against Parent in the dying seconds of game 1 in the ’74 finals.

Orr didn’t give a **** about stats. When the game was all but won, he made a habit of dishing the puck off to teammates, especially if they weren't big scorers. This was a character trait of his that went all the way back to his junior days. Check out what Wren Blair says about him at the 3:25 mark of this video. Also, there's some fabulous footage at the 5:50 mark: Orr absolutely flying, breaking up plays, blocking shots, blowing past Keon, Beliveau, Tremblay and Laperriere... man, it's beautiful.

And look at the size of the forearms and shoulders of the 70ish Howe at around 7:25. Holy smokes, he looks like he could still rip you in half!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlZrvpN-Nhc

(Sorry. The youtube video wouldn't embed)

tazzy19

Mar 27, 2008
Even though he was extremely competitive, Orr was remarkably unconcerned with personal stats. It was always about the team, and nothing else. After he scored a goal, no matter how spectacular it might have been, he would just put his head down and want to get on with the game. In fact, the only times I can recall him celebrating after a goal, was when it was a huge goal for the team, such as his ’70 Cup winner, or when he did that little dance after scoring the winner against Parent in the dying seconds of game 1 in the ’74 finals.

Orr didn’t give a **** about stats. When the game was all but won, he made a habit of dishing the puck off to teammates, especially if they weren't big scorers. This was a character trait of his that went all the way back to his junior days. Check out what Wren Blair says about him at the 3:25 mark of this video. Also, there's some fabulous footage at the 5:50 mark: Orr absolutely flying, breaking up plays, blocking shots, blowing past Keon, Beliveau, Tremblay and Laperriere... man, it's beautiful.

And look at the size of the forearms and shoulders of the 70ish Howe at around 7:25. Holy smokes, he looks like he could still rip you in half!

Very cool video, bleeney. Nice to see that great footage...and yes, Howe's arms are rather monstrous.

It should be noted that Wayne was also not so much about just the points. Wayne could have held on another season and easily scored 900 goals, and could have held on two more seasons and scored 3000 points all time. But he didn't because he didn't see the Rangers winning the Cup without making some moves. They chose not to, so he retired. It was about winning for Gretzky, too. Also, many times Gretzky could have scored empty net goals but elected to dish the puck off to teammates. Many times you'd see Gretzky in a perfect scoring position, only to dish it off. Sometimes you would think he should have shot himself...but that was the type of player he was.

Starchild74

Aug 27, 2009
It is boring because none of you G fans has said anything but stats. There have been many great scorers in sports and they don't always win. WE Orr fans speak of his game, and few of us care all that much about stats, and you "absolutely" can not speak of stats because one was a great scorer and the other a great player, and not one of you has shown me or any Orr fan anything but #s. It is boring and any stat can be manipulated.

Orr won 3 straight MVPs, two scoring titles I believe and 8 straight Norris trophies and none of you even acknowledged these stats, and if you would have looked at those, they are comparable. He also won all three in the same year at least once, plus something else I believe, but it means nothing to you G fans or you would have mentioned them, but you just don't want to believe he was great. All us Orr fans know G was great, but why was he great? Scoring stats is all you have to say? It says nothing to any of us. Give us something that will give us chills. We have given all of you many of Orr's gifts on the ice, not just stats. Sports are not about stats, because they say nothing about YOUR knowledge of the game. Nothing!!

Bobby Orr was the greatest defenceman ever. People on here have made some great points about Bobby Orr. I have read the whole thread and have to agree pretty much with everything that was said about Bobby Orr with reguards to his game and how he played. You say it is boring because people are using stats to put Gretzky ahead of Orr. Well that is because stats do not lie. Wayne Gretzky stats speak for themselves. But this bores you so you want real reasons why Gretzky is the best, here goes.

Offensively, it was not just the points it is what he could do. Gretzky could make passes and plays out of nothing. He possessed a vision that no one has ever had. For some reason he could see or maybe feel the play develop and know exactly waht to do and when. It was a god like gift. He could either skate through players, dangle around them. He would make passes that while he was doing so your first reaction was. What the he** is he doing and then all of a sudden an Oiler would get the pass and it was pure beauty. FOr example the pass Gretzky makes to Pauyl Coffey against the Flyers in the 1985 final or the pass to Jari Kurri the same year against Chicago. THsi was not just one time passes he did this all the time. How many times would gretzky skate over the puck or at least would seem so only to skate around the defenceman and then pick the puck up again.

Scoring, Wayne is not a pure goal scorer but man for a guy even I would not call a pure goal scorer. He sure could score goals. Players were so worried about his passing that alot of times they would leave him dangle with the puck and score. How many times did you see Gretzky in the slot and take a slap shot and score. It was such a weak slap shot but so accurate. It was like the puck had eyes. It would either somehow go through the goalie or just plain beat him. I will admit that alot of Gretzky's goals were not too glamourus however this was becasue of one intagible. It was the fear the opposition had when Gretzky had the puck. Defenders hated him skating with the puck. If they chased him he would pass it. If they stood their ground and be positional he would stop and back up and create a lane to skate through or pass. If you took away the passing lane he sould go to the net. Even if you took the passing lane away he would find a way to get the puck there. Gretzky might never had invented the saucer pass but he perfected it. Because of this it made the goalies and defenders so afraid of him that it was easy for him to score often. That is why Sather told him he needed to shoot more. They can't stop him. We all know what he did in 81-82.

His office. Yes Bobby Clark was the first to do this but Gretzky for the first time in NHL history made this area of the ice one of the most dangerous places in the offensive zone. He could pick apart a team when he had the puck there. How many times would a defenceman go behind to chase him and he would play keep away passing the puck to himself off the net, or using the back boards to pass the puck to himself. How many times would he pass the puck to the front of the net adn get the puck past 4 sets of legs and sticks and the puck would end up on a players stick perfectly. If you do this once or twice it coudl be called luck but it wasn't It was pure skill. Also I do not care what anyone says but when you score off of skates in front of the net as much as Gretzky did it was not luck or chance he knew what he was doing. He would bounce puck in the net off of players and even goalies. Alot of times after the puck went in players would be asking how did he do this?

Smartest player ever. Gretzky was teh smartes player ever. Here is a true story that happened in Edmonton and alot of Oilers fans who were in Edmonton in the 80's might remember. Often during practice Wayne Gretzky would take slap shots against the boards. To try and check out the bounce off the boards. He would purposely miss the net and have the puck come out at the side of the goal. He would literally do this and on a few occasions Wayne Gretzky did this in a game. He shot the puck wide of the net and the puck bounced right to Jari Kurri to an open net goal. Thsi was pure genious. He would even figure out the side boards so he could make passes off the boards to players. He did things no one ever imagined.

Gretzky never got hit. This is pure B.S. It is the thing everyone always talks about with Gretzky. Seriously every player playing in the NHL gets hit. Some just more then others. If Gretzky never got hit then how come his back was never the same after the Gary Suter hit. Which was illegal by the way. How many times was Gretzky flattened by Ken Morrow, How many times Jamie Macoun hit Gretzky. It happened but if you ated Gretzky it was a question of why it never happened more. I will tell you why Gretzky never got hit. You can't hit what you can't lline up to hit. Has anyone ever seen Gretzky do that move coming into the attacking zone full speed and then stop on a dime and move to the side, or back up and then skate into an open area. He had vision of the game no one could understand. How many times did it look like their was nothing for Gretzky to do and all of a sudden he would change up and do something you never imagine. Now put yourself in the shoes of every player in the NHL. Players usually get hit because players can anticipate what they are going to do. How can you aniticipate what he will do when you can't see the game the way he does. Yes sometimes he got caught but not as much as other players because of this. Having Semenko helped too but in order to hit Gretzky you got to catch him first and he was just too smart to be caught too often

Defensively. Yes Wayne Gretzky will never ever be mistaken for a great or even a good defensive player especially in his own zone. However what is the best way to keep the puck out of your own net. It is simple put the puck in theres and alot of the time that is what happened. Also Gretzky could anitcipate plays very well and break up a lot of plays. It is funny some people in the hockey world have said WG was more dangerous short handed then he was on a Power Play. Wouldn't that make him a kind of an effective player in his own end

Wayne Gretzky is the Greatest ever. No offence to Bobby and I will not put Bobby down as some have done to both to prove their points. If I was starting a team right now and could have anyone in the history of the NHL I would take Gretzky every day for one big reason. Wayne made every one around him better. He turned average players into good players. Good players into stars and stars into greats. Not that Bobby didn't it is just that Gretzky did this to so many players.

canucks4ever

Mar 4, 2008
The problem with bobby orr is that his offense is on roughly the same level as a bossy-lafluer-jagr. If they became great two way players would we say that they are better than Gretzky? No, so why should bobby orr be the exception. He only won the hart trophy 3 times, gretzky has 9, that's a massive difference.

Fredrik_71

Dec 24, 2007
Sweden
The problem with bobby orr is that his offense is on roughly the same level as a bossy-lafluer-jagr. If they became great two way players would we say that they are better than Gretzky? No, so why should bobby orr be the exception. He only won the hart trophy 3 times, gretzky has 9, that's a massive difference.

In those days a Norris was the equivalent to a Hart for a d-man. For Orr to win 3 Harts is quite the accomplishment considering the era.

/Cheers

habsjunkie2*

I watched him in SF his last 13 or so seasons, and he was so overated, it was ridiculous. I have never seen a more hated player by fans outside of SF. As much good that he did with his bat, his attitude on and off the field was atrocious. I most of his 7 MVP years, and his stats said MVP, but his play said avg. He was a horrible baserunner, aways watching his long fly balls hit the fence for a single instead of at least a double. He never played with thepassion of a champion.

Whatever, he also took over 200bb's. He was easily the best player I have seen. You don't like stats because they don't work in your favour. I don't blame ya. If I was picking anyone other than Wayne Gretzky, I wouldn't like the stats either, but they tell a telling story. He absolutely destroyed his peers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com

A week ago, you were claiming nobody deserved the Hart over Orr in any of his 6 peak years and that he was robbed of the trophy.

In any case, I don't think anybody is going to vote against Gretzky on the "career" level. Hell, I have been arguing for Orr, but I voted Gretzky #1 all time.

But when someone asks me who was the best player in their peak, I say Orr without Hesitating.

canucks4ever

Mar 4, 2008
A week ago, you were claiming nobody deserved the Hart over Orr in any of his 6 peak years and that he was robbed of the trophy.

In any case, I don't think anybody is going to vote against Gretzky on the "career" level. Hell, I have been arguing for Orr, but I voted Gretzky #1 all time.

But when someone asks me who was the best player in their peak, I say Orr without Hesitating.

Yeah i did say that, but he still had guys as major threats to his hart trophy like bobby clarke, phil esposito, jean ratelle and bernie parent.

Gretzky dominated hart voting like no other player in nhl history.

quasi1981

Aug 2, 2010
But Gretzky won 4 Cups and 2 Conn Smyths, and took the 4th worst team in the NHL to 4th best in one year, and beat his old team, the defending Stanley Cup Champions, that very same season in the first round of the playoffs....not to mention leading that average team to the Cup Finals within five years of his arrival...something they had never come close to doing, what, EVER? If that isn't enough, how about the 1987 Canada Cup? In case you haven't heard about it, Gretzky willed Team Canada to victory in game 2 and was in on 5 of Canada's 6 goals, including the OT winner. That game, he was all over the ice. His 5 assists were merely the symptom of his great play, as where he really shined that game was away from the puck -- creating turnovers, penalty killing, reading plays from what seemed like outer space. He was just on another level that series, and the Russians couldn't defend it...not even with Sputnik.

So? Orr came to a team that was in 6th place and it was also last place in the league at least 5 out of 6 years and that one team finished in 5th one point ahead of NY.

So they had been by far the worse team in hockey for years, and he came in and they showed some improvement, though still ended up in last place, moved up to 3rd best record, and yes it was expansion so I will just use their division with all the old teams in the NHL and they were the 6 best teams period.

In 68-69 they were 2nd place and got to the semi finals where the great Canadian team swept us and went to win the cup.

Now remember he came into the league to a team that no will to win, period, and he changed it in his first season even though they were still last, and in his 4the year they won it all and won it again 2 years later, and the injuries had already taken over since his second year.

70-71 he had taken by far the worse franchise in hockey over the last 6-7 years, a pathetic awful team with no future except bringing up this 18 year old skinny kid up to the bigs.

It took G 5 years and how many years had he been in the NHL? How long with his 1st team, and did he improve them at all? i don't remember. it took him 5 years just to GET to the finals and he started out with a much better team than Orr did.

Now the 76 series against the Soviets. I have read many of you saying it was harder to beat them in G's era?

In 76 there wasn't even a European or Soviet in the NHL. They played in a much larger rink, and it was a wide open game compared to the NHL's close checking game, except for some knee injury riddled player from Boston named Orr. And he played on one knee as Bobby Hull and others said when they played with Orr in the series. Hull said Orr rarely practiced at all, and the way he walked they all were wondering how he could play at all, and when he came out onto the ice he was still the best player and the best skater out there, and with no Europeans or Soviets (Soviets were Europeans) in the NHL (maybe a few, I don't remember, but no like the later era with the G man) we beat the soviets led by Bobby Orr, and it was the his team mates who said this, not just the press. Larry Robinson pared with Orr in the series and said he was so intelligent on the ice and with his physical skills and all, Robinson said he let Orr do his thing and was amazed.

There are few things of greatness you can say about the G man that you can not say about Orr except scoring records and some trophies. Orr won 8 straight Norris trophies, but they don't seem to count, and three straight MVP trophies, 2 scoring titles, 6 straight years of 100 or more points when only he and Espo were regularly doing it. And he was a D man.

quasi1981

Aug 2, 2010
Bobby Orr was the greatest defenceman ever. People on here have made some great points about Bobby Orr. I have read the whole thread and have to agree pretty much with everything that was said about Bobby Orr with reguards to his game and how he played. You say it is boring because people are using stats to put Gretzky ahead of Orr. Well that is because stats do not lie. Wayne Gretzky stats speak for themselves. But this bores you so you want real reasons why Gretzky is the best, here goes.

Offensively, it was not just the points it is what he could do. Gretzky could make passes and plays out of nothing. He possessed a vision that no one has ever had. For some reason he could see or maybe feel the play develop and know exactly waht to do and when. It was a god like gift. He could either skate through players, dangle around them. He would make passes that while he was doing so your first reaction was. What the he** is he doing and then all of a sudden an Oiler would get the pass and it was pure beauty. FOr example the pass Gretzky makes to Pauyl Coffey against the Flyers in the 1985 final or the pass to Jari Kurri the same year against Chicago. THsi was not just one time passes he did this all the time. How many times would gretzky skate over the puck or at least would seem so only to skate around the defenceman and then pick the puck up again.

Scoring, Wayne is not a pure goal scorer but man for a guy even I would not call a pure goal scorer. He sure could score goals. Players were so worried about his passing that alot of times they would leave him dangle with the puck and score. How many times did you see Gretzky in the slot and take a slap shot and score. It was such a weak slap shot but so accurate. It was like the puck had eyes. It would either somehow go through the goalie or just plain beat him. I will admit that alot of Gretzky's goals were not too glamourus however this was becasue of one intagible. It was the fear the opposition had when Gretzky had the puck. Defenders hated him skating with the puck. If they chased him he would pass it. If they stood their ground and be positional he would stop and back up and create a lane to skate through or pass. If you took away the passing lane he sould go to the net. Even if you took the passing lane away he would find a way to get the puck there. Gretzky might never had invented the saucer pass but he perfected it. Because of this it made the goalies and defenders so afraid of him that it was easy for him to score often. That is why Sather told him he needed to shoot more. They can't stop him. We all know what he did in 81-82.

His office. Yes Bobby Clark was the first to do this but Gretzky for the first time in NHL history made this area of the ice one of the most dangerous places in the offensive zone. He could pick apart a team when he had the puck there. How many times would a defenceman go behind to chase him and he would play keep away passing the puck to himself off the net, or using the back boards to pass the puck to himself. How many times would he pass the puck to the front of the net adn get the puck past 4 sets of legs and sticks and the puck would end up on a players stick perfectly. If you do this once or twice it coudl be called luck but it wasn't It was pure skill. Also I do not care what anyone says but when you score off of skates in front of the net as much as Gretzky did it was not luck or chance he knew what he was doing. He would bounce puck in the net off of players and even goalies. Alot of times after the puck went in players would be asking how did he do this?

Smartest player ever. Gretzky was teh smartes player ever. Here is a true story that happened in Edmonton and alot of Oilers fans who were in Edmonton in the 80's might remember. Often during practice Wayne Gretzky would take slap shots against the boards. To try and check out the bounce off the boards. He would purposely miss the net and have the puck come out at the side of the goal. He would literally do this and on a few occasions Wayne Gretzky did this in a game. He shot the puck wide of the net and the puck bounced right to Jari Kurri to an open net goal. Thsi was pure genious. He would even figure out the side boards so he could make passes off the boards to players. He did things no one ever imagined.

Gretzky never got hit. This is pure B.S. It is the thing everyone always talks about with Gretzky. Seriously every player playing in the NHL gets hit. Some just more then others. If Gretzky never got hit then how come his back was never the same after the Gary Suter hit. Which was illegal by the way. How many times was Gretzky flattened by Ken Morrow, How many times Jamie Macoun hit Gretzky. It happened but if you ated Gretzky it was a question of why it never happened more. I will tell you why Gretzky never got hit. You can't hit what you can't lline up to hit. Has anyone ever seen Gretzky do that move coming into the attacking zone full speed and then stop on a dime and move to the side, or back up and then skate into an open area. He had vision of the game no one could understand. How many times did it look like their was nothing for Gretzky to do and all of a sudden he would change up and do something you never imagine. Now put yourself in the shoes of every player in the NHL. Players usually get hit because players can anticipate what they are going to do. How can you aniticipate what he will do when you can't see the game the way he does. Yes sometimes he got caught but not as much as other players because of this. Having Semenko helped too but in order to hit Gretzky you got to catch him first and he was just too smart to be caught too often

Defensively. Yes Wayne Gretzky will never ever be mistaken for a great or even a good defensive player especially in his own zone. However what is the best way to keep the puck out of your own net. It is simple put the puck in theres and alot of the time that is what happened. Also Gretzky could anitcipate plays very well and break up a lot of plays. It is funny some people in the hockey world have said WG was more dangerous short handed then he was on a Power Play. Wouldn't that make him a kind of an effective player in his own end

Wayne Gretzky is the Greatest ever. No offence to Bobby and I will not put Bobby down as some have done to both to prove their points. If I was starting a team right now and could have anyone in the history of the NHL I would take Gretzky every day for one big reason. Wayne made every one around him better. He turned average players into good players. Good players into stars and stars into greats. Not that Bobby didn't it is just that Gretzky did this to so many players.

It is all great, but I must say Orr had everybit as great a vision and feel for the game, only he was doing all this at mach 15 and he could hang down behind the net, but he always made unbelievablly great plays behind the net, and he was truly the 1st player to play behind the net, he simply couldn't stay there more than the time it takes to skate around it at full speed, shoot or pass it right onto your stick. he could feel where everyone was on the ice, and there is nothing G could do that Orr couldn't do, he just had such a great game, and had to make plays always on the run. I am not saying G wasn't great but Orr had at least equal vision and was the greatest passer ever even while lying on his side facing his goalie and finding the puck and no look pass to his mate out front right on his stick, and one more pass and a goal. He led the league in assists 5 out of 6 years and finished very close to Espo on the 2nd place finish, and he played D. He scored over a 100 points about 6 times and only 11 guys not on his team in his 8 years did this, and the Gman in his same amount of best years, only, lol, 78 guys did it. So now you can start seeing how stats being used in all these chats are so misleading.

And every great coach I have ever admired and who were winners all said the same things about stats are for losers. They are totally misleading, and as someone said about three things that were all bad and stats were on or them. It is in here somewhere. I could take stats and sway you any way I wanted to do. In baseball they say a guy hits 300 and with guys on base he hits 350, so everyone says he is a great clutch hitter, and then I look at wade Boggs and he had similar stats, but then I see his stats with guys on base in scoring position with the game on the line, and still close, and he hits 260. So you can add or delete different stats to make your point. Bill Russell was a way better winner than Gretzky ever was, no contest, and he had lousy stats, 16 points or so per season, and he passed well and blocked shots and rebounded and played great D, but he has nothing in the books you can use to compare him to Chambelain, Jerry West, Oscar Robertson, and so many other great players on great teams, and he beat them all, and even West after losing his 6th or so straight title against Russell said he lost because of #6 Bill Russell, and so in the game today, on ESPN they speak of MJ, Magic, Bird, Chamberlain, West, Robertson, Kobe and so many stat kings as the great players ever, and they look back in the Russell era and see what he did to ALL the so called great players with all the stats, and say right there on their show, that Russell killed them, literally demolished them, beating West, Chamberlain, and Baylor on the same team with an old over the hill Celtic club with no coach, well Russell was, and then these analysts of today don't even mention him in the best player ever thing.

Stats truly are for losers, and is the reason stat classes are required, to show how misleading they are.

Orr had all the same offensive skills, and some were better by each, but Orr also was a specialist at EVERYTHING no matter where he played on the ice, he could do things no one else could do and if he had played center, his natural position which the Bs had think long and hard where to play him, there is no telling what he could do. He only avg less than .5 points less and as a center he would have really exploded and played in a league with much less scoring.

And the things said about Orr as great were that he had every tool, and had as great a vision, and even better was his anticipation of where his player was going to be even before the player knew, he could pass blindly and could do it at great speed with his back to the play, lying on the ice and so on. He made maybe the worse franchise ever at least at the time; six last place finishes I believe out of 7 years and the 5th place was about a point behind NY. Then in 4 years he took this impossible task and made them champions, twice in 3 years, and after already having big injuries. He was pure magic in everything he did, and he was all about the team and took a very ugly franchise, and brought them to respectability in just two years. He also started there as a rookie, and the Gman started with the Oilers after how many years as a pro before the WHA went down?

And he controlled the entire game everywhere on the ice, and when he was skating out a penalty in his own end, he was playing offense, and no one "ever" could skate even close to him in any way, as Larry Robinson, I believe said that Cournoyer, one of THE fastest skaters was at the blue line rushing in on net by himself, and Orr was at the red line and caught him from behind.

He had all the talent, and like I said, one player could do somethings better than the other, but don't think for a second that Orr didn't have all the tangibles and intangibles that Gretz had.

Last edited:

revolverjgw

Oct 6, 2003
Nova Scotia
So they had been by far the worse team in hockey for years, and he came in and they showed some improvement, though still ended up in last place.

Now remember he came into the league to a team that no will to win, period, and he changed it in his first season even though they were still last, and in his 4the year they won it all and won it again 2 years later, and the injuries had already taken over since his second year.

70-71 he had taken by far the worse franchise in hockey over the last 6-7 years, a pathetic awful team with no future except bringing up this 18 year old skinny kid up to the bigs.

Not a lot of sense being made here. The Bruins won less games and got less points in Orr's rookie season than they did the season before. They finished in a worse position. It wasn't until Esposito arrived that they exploded, despite Orr missing a large chunk of the season. But you don't seem to be willing to give Espo any credit... it was all Orr, all they had to do was call him up at 18 and that's all it took, right? Well, no, that's not how it happened.

quasi1981 said:
It took G 5 years and how many years had he been in the NHL? How long with his 1st team, and did he improve them at all? i don't remember. it took him 5 years just to GET to the finals and he started out with a much better team than Orr did.

You make it sound like Orr had no help and the Oilers were a powerhouse from day one. In truth, rookie Orr had a HOF forward and goalie on his team right from the start and got Espo the next season. No, the Bruins still weren't good when Orr started, but Gretzky also had little real support. Rookie Gretzky had... Blair McDonald? Brett Callighen? These guys scored like all-stars with Gretzky and were out of the league almost immediately being separated from him. They were nothing. Messier? He had 30 points. Eddie Mio in goal? He had nobody. Even in his second season, nobody else on the team scored more than 75 points yet he still shattered Espo's point record. Kurri and Messier were far from being great players at that point. Gretzky was working with kids and nobodies for a while before he had real support.

Regardless of who was better, you have a strange way of perceiving reality.

quasi1981

Aug 2, 2010
Whatever, he also took over 200bb's. He was easily the best player I have seen. You don't like stats because they don't work in your favour. I don't blame ya. If I was picking anyone other than Wayne Gretzky, I wouldn't like the stats either, but they tell a telling story. He absolutely destroyed his peers.

Wrong dude, I know Bonds stunk. I was watching my SF team where I have lived for the past 30 years, and BB was a terrible ball player and every non SF fan I have met felt the same way. As great as he seemed, he had this other side that was lazy and slow, a terrible baserunner, watching countless balls hit the fence when he was sure they were gone.

I don't like stats because anyone can manipulate them for their own purpose. Look at politics, they reap of lying stats, twisting them, leaving others out and so forth.

You need to realize your argument holds no water because it is filled with nothing but stats.

Look at Bill Russell who was the greatest winner ever as the best player on his team and he won 11 in 13 years with NO stats to back his greatness, and therefore many do not consider him the best, thou he humiliated all the great players of his day, and they all knew it was him.

Briere Up There*

Alright, you take David Eckstein and I'll take Bonds. Let's see how our teams do.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

thanks for this. check out the next section of the video (below), the rush beginning at 1:40. while falling, he has the coordination and timing to knock the puck back to his stick with his elbow and find bucyk. two things jump out at me: 1. bucyk still goes to the net instead of heading back down ice to defend against minnesota's transition because he trusts orr to keep the play alive, and 2. the guy who knocks orr on his ass hits him square in the shoulder. 10x/10 that's a headshot in today's game.

defensemen control the transition game, so a forward can't dictate the flow of the game like an elite defenseman can, guys like harvey, potvin, bourque, lidstrom, pronger, etc. orr was better at it than any of those guys, while also scoring at a bossy/lafleur/jagr rate. that's why those guys could score at the same rate and play bob gainey defense and still not impact the game the way orr did.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Now the 76 series against the Soviets. I have read many of you saying it was harder to beat them in G's era?

In 76 there wasn't even a European or Soviet in the NHL. They played in a much larger rink, and it was a wide open game compared to the NHL's close checking game, except for some knee injury riddled player from Boston named Orr. And he played on one knee as Bobby Hull and others said when they played with Orr in the series. Hull said Orr rarely practiced at all, and the way he walked they all were wondering how he could play at all, and when he came out onto the ice he was still the best player and the best skater out there, and with no Europeans or Soviets (Soviets were Europeans) in the NHL (maybe a few, I don't remember, but no like the later era with the G man) we beat the soviets led by Bobby Orr, and it was the his team mates who said this, not just the press. Larry Robinson pared with Orr in the series and said he was so intelligent on the ice and with his physical skills and all, Robinson said he let Orr do his thing and was amazed.

What ******g "series"? The way you keep on babbling about that one Canada Cup game really shows how little you know about Soviet hockey.

In the 1976 Canada Cup, the Soviets were (in addition to CAN) beaten - easily, I might add - by Czechoslovakia, tied with Sweden and finished 3rd and didn't get to the finals. They were missing Mikhailov, Petrov, Kharlamov, Yakushev, Shadrin and Tsygankov from their lineup, and even total ignoramus should know that those were key players in the USSR at the time. Team Canada, on the other hand, had all the best minus Dryden and Park; normally they would have been fairly big omissions, but not really on that team - they still had the best defense the world has ever seen before or since, and Vachon was brilliant in nets. They should have been ashamed had they lost to THAT Soviet team, with or without Orr. There is absolutely no comparison with what Gretzky did in 1987.

Last edited:

Starchild74

Aug 27, 2009
It is all great, but I must say Orr had everybit as great a vision and feel for the game, only he was doing all this at mach 15 and he could hang down behind the net, but he always made unbelievablly great plays behind the net, and he was truly the 1st player to play behind the net, he simply couldn't stay there more than the time it takes to skate around it at full speed, shoot or pass it right onto your stick. he could feel where everyone was on the ice, and there is nothing G could do that Orr couldn't do, he just had such a great game, and had to make plays always on the run. I am not saying G wasn't great but Orr had at least equal vision and was the greatest passer ever even while lying on his side facing his goalie and finding the puck and no look pass to his mate out front right on his stick, and one more pass and a goal. He led the league in assists 5 out of 6 years and finished very close to Espo on the 2nd place finish, and he played D. He scored over a 100 points about 6 times and only 11 guys not on his team in his 8 years did this, and the Gman in his same amount of best years, only, lol, 78 guys did it. So now you can start seeing how stats being used in all these chats are so misleading.

And every great coach I have ever admired and who were winners all said the same things about stats are for losers. They are totally misleading, and as someone said about three things that were all bad and stats were on or them. It is in here somewhere. I could take stats and sway you any way I wanted to do. In baseball they say a guy hits 300 and with guys on base he hits 350, so everyone says he is a great clutch hitter, and then I look at wade Boggs and he had similar stats, but then I see his stats with guys on base in scoring position with the game on the line, and still close, and he hits 260. So you can add or delete different stats to make your point. Bill Russell was a way better winner than Gretzky ever was, no contest, and he had lousy stats, 16 points or so per season, and he passed well and blocked shots and rebounded and played great D, but he has nothing in the books you can use to compare him to Chambelain, Jerry West, Oscar Robertson, and so many other great players on great teams, and he beat them all, and even West after losing his 6th or so straight title against Russell said he lost because of #6 Bill Russell, and so in the game today, on ESPN they speak of MJ, Magic, Bird, Chamberlain, West, Robertson, Kobe and so many stat kings as the great players ever, and they look back in the Russell era and see what he did to ALL the so called great players with all the stats, and say right there on their show, that Russell killed them, literally demolished them, beating West, Chamberlain, and Baylor on the same team with an old over the hill Celtic club with no coach, well Russell was, and then these analysts of today don't even mention him in the best player ever thing.

Stats truly are for losers, and is the reason stat classes are required, to show how misleading they are.

Orr had all the same offensive skills, and some were better by each, but Orr also was a specialist at EVERYTHING no matter where he played on the ice, he could do things no one else could do and if he had played center, his natural position which the Bs had think long and hard where to play him, there is no telling what he could do. He only avg less than .5 points less and as a center he would have really exploded and played in a league with much less scoring.

And the things said about Orr as great were that he had every tool, and had as great a vision, and even better was his anticipation of where his player was going to be even before the player knew, he could pass blindly and could do it at great speed with his back to the play, lying on the ice and so on. He made maybe the worse franchise ever at least at the time; six last place finishes I believe out of 7 years and the 5th place was about a point behind NY. Then in 4 years he took this impossible task and made them champions, twice in 3 years, and after already having big injuries. He was pure magic in everything he did, and he was all about the team and took a very ugly franchise, and brought them to respectability in just two years. He also started there as a rookie, and the Gman started with the Oilers after how many years as a pro before the WHA went down?

And he controlled the entire game everywhere on the ice, and when he was skating out a penalty in his own end, he was playing offense, and no one "ever" could skate even close to him in any way, as Larry Robinson, I believe said that Cournoyer, one of THE fastest skaters was at the blue line rushing in on net by himself, and Orr was at the red line and caught him from behind.

He had all the talent, and like I said, one player could do somethings better than the other, but don't think for a second that Orr didn't have all the tangibles and intangibles that Gretz had.

First of all you say stats are for losers and then go on to try and make your point how Orr was a better passer by using stats. Let's be honest here. Bobby Orr was the first defenceman that could truly thread a needle as far as passing. He always seemed to make that great pass to get out of the zone or skate with it. However to say that Orr was the greatest passer ever by using stats and then saying stats are for losers means that you argument is weak. No one can deny that Gretzky was the greatest passer ever. Why was he the best? Because he turned average players into pure goal scorers. I mean he made Dave Semenko look like a 20 goal scorer. Without using stats and just every day play, Gretzky did it every game even in his last year he was still the best passer in the game. Why is it that when people try to argue about a player being better then Gretzky they say stats do not matter for whatever reason but then use stats to try and back up why they think their player is the best.

Yes stats can be used to make a point that might not be true. Any one can twist stats to their own advantage. However When a person scores 637 goals, 1200 assists 1837pts in 10 years, in 774 games. That is not twisting stats that is just pointing out how dominant he was. Does this mean he is the best ever because of this? NO! but it shows how great he was in just 10 years. To ignore stats and say they are for losers is a little bit hypocritical because in those 10 years Gretzky won 4 Stanley Cups that is not a loser to me. If you take Bobby Orr's stats and use them does that make him a loser by your definition? I mean he won 2 cups and was the best defenceman for almost every year he played, but if you mention his stats that must mean he was a loser right? This is what you said not me.

Bobby Orr was a defenceman that is it. Their is no need to talk about what if he was a center? Try and use stats once again to try and show how close he was to what a center would do. Yes he had many assists not taking that away from Orr but once again you are using stats to base your argument. By saying he average .5 points less then a center. I hate when people use what if's in an argument. What if Orr was a center? What if Orr was never injured? What if Gretzky played for someone other then the Oilers in the 80's? WHen you use what if's it creates an argument that can't truly be argued for or against, because it is fantasy. Also if Bobby Orr played center he would not be the Bobby Orr that we remember. The reason why Orr was so great is he would take the puck in his own zone and start the play. If he was a center and who knows how he would have played. No one knows this.

Yes Bobby Orr changed the Bruins franchise and made them into a winner. Not single handedly because it takes a team to win but I know what you mean. Wayne Gretzky took a team that was an expansion team with a bunch of young players and leg them to 4 Stanley Cups. Now of course he had a really good supporting cast but Orr had a good team too. Which one is more amazing. Orr leading a franchise back to elite status or Gretzky leading a young team to a dynasty. I think what Gretzky did was just a little bit more impressive. I mean the Oilers by their 4th year were going to the Stanley cup Final and would eventually defeat a Dynasty team in the Islanders. Not taking anything away from what Orr did but it was already an established team not a new one. I mean since since the Oilers did it no new franchise has ever won a Stanley cup within 5 years of coming into the league. Before the Oilers the quickest team to win the Stanley Cup from starting new were the Flyers and it took them 6 years to do so.

Wayne Gretzky played one year in the WHA, wow that really prepared him for the NHL. THat was such an advantage. He was a rookie at 17 year of age in the WHA. Was the best player in the WHA. When he played his first year in the NHL tied Marcel Dionne in points as a first year player. SO you are dismissing what Gretzky did because of playing in the WHA. Well Gretzky did turn 19 by the end of the 79-80 season. He got 137 points. No other 19 year old as ever gotten that many points in the NHL. SYdney Crosby's second year in the NHL he was 19 and only got 120. So even if you consider the WHA as a prep year and to a degree a first year then his first official year in the NHL anybody who is great shoul dhave been able to match him in their second year right? Now Bobby orr was a defenceman which is a harder position to play and learn in the NHL at a young age but it took him 4 seasons and the age of 21 to get over 100 points. When Gretzky was 21 his 3rd year he scored 92 goals and had a total of 212 points. What does this mean. Well I do not think that it was the WHA that helped Gretzky it was just him being great. Think about it at the age of 21 no defenceman had has many points as Bobby Orr. However I think you can agree that Paul Coffey was the second best offensive defenceman ever and at the age of 21 he had only 24 points less the Orr at that age. Denis Potvin at the same age had 44 less points then Orr. Compared to Gretzky and his era Hawerchuk was the second best season at 21 and he was 82 points behind Gretzky the Magnificent Lemieux was a 105 points behind Gretzky at that same age. What I am trying to point out here is you know nothing if you are trying to make a point that one year in the WHA made the difference for Gretzky being as good as he was

Was Bobby Orr a faster skater then Gretzky? Any one with half a brain knows this. Honestly while Gretzky was playing in his prime their were probably 50 players that were faster the Gretzky. What does that mean? Russ Courtnall was one of the fastest players ever but he was not the best player. If you want to make a list of physical attributes between Orr and Gretzky go ahead. Bobby Orr was faster, Tougher, better skater, etc... No one will ever say Gretzky was physically better then anyone in the history of the NHL. He was not the fastest skater, he did not have the best shot. Was not the most gifted scorer, was not the greatest skater, was not the best stickhandler etc... and this is also true for the years he played in the NHL. How did Gretzky do what he did? Simple he saw the game like no other. He was smarter and had a gift on knowing what to do and when to do it.

Boby Orr had intagibles that is for sure. All the greats do. It is just that Gretzky did more then anyone else in the history of the game. Do not say that Gretzky could not control the game. He did. Wayne is the greatest ever because even though he might not have hit much, or played defensively like others. His offensive skills were so much above anyone else ever that him not blocking shots or being able to catch a guy on a breakaway does not matter if you can create offensive chances like he did.

habsjunkie2*

First of all you say stats are for losers and then go on to try and make your point how Orr was a better passer by using stats. Let's be honest here. Bobby Orr was the first defenceman that could truly thread a needle as far as passing. He always seemed to make that great pass to get out of the zone or skate with it. However to say that Orr was the greatest passer ever by using stats and then saying stats are for losers means that you argument is weak. No one can deny that Gretzky was the greatest passer ever. Why was he the best? Because he turned average players into pure goal scorers. I mean he made Dave Semenko look like a 20 goal scorer. Without using stats and just every day play, Gretzky did it every game even in his last year he was still the best passer in the game. Why is it that when people try to argue about a player being better then Gretzky they say stats do not matter for whatever reason but then use stats to try and back up why they think their player is the best.

Yes stats can be used to make a point that might not be true. Any one can twist stats to their own advantage. However When a person scores 637 goals, 1200 assists 1837pts in 10 years, in 774 games. That is not twisting stats that is just pointing out how dominant he was. Does this mean he is the best ever because of this? NO! but it shows how great he was in just 10 years. To ignore stats and say they are for losers is a little bit hypocritical because in those 10 years Gretzky won 4 Stanley Cups that is not a loser to me. If you take Bobby Orr's stats and use them does that make him a loser by your definition? I mean he won 2 cups and was the best defenceman for almost every year he played, but if you mention his stats that must mean he was a loser right? This is what you said not me.

Bobby Orr was a defenceman that is it. Their is no need to talk about what if he was a center? Try and use stats once again to try and show how close he was to what a center would do. Yes he had many assists not taking that away from Orr but once again you are using stats to base your argument. By saying he average .5 points less then a center. I hate when people use what if's in an argument. What if Orr was a center? What if Orr was never injured? What if Gretzky played for someone other then the Oilers in the 80's? WHen you use what if's it creates an argument that can't truly be argued for or against, because it is fantasy. Also if Bobby Orr played center he would not be the Bobby Orr that we remember. The reason why Orr was so great is he would take the puck in his own zone and start the play. If he was a center and who knows how he would have played. No one knows this.

Yes Bobby Orr changed the Bruins franchise and made them into a winner. Not single handedly because it takes a team to win but I know what you mean. Wayne Gretzky took a team that was an expansion team with a bunch of young players and leg them to 4 Stanley Cups. Now of course he had a really good supporting cast but Orr had a good team too. Which one is more amazing. Orr leading a franchise back to elite status or Gretzky leading a young team to a dynasty. I think what Gretzky did was just a little bit more impressive. I mean the Oilers by their 4th year were going to the Stanley cup Final and would eventually defeat a Dynasty team in the Islanders. Not taking anything away from what Orr did but it was already an established team not a new one. I mean since since the Oilers did it no new franchise has ever won a Stanley cup within 5 years of coming into the league. Before the Oilers the quickest team to win the Stanley Cup from starting new were the Flyers and it took them 6 years to do so.

Wayne Gretzky played one year in the WHA, wow that really prepared him for the NHL. THat was such an advantage. He was a rookie at 17 year of age in the WHA. Was the best player in the WHA. When he played his first year in the NHL tied Marcel Dionne in points as a first year player. SO you are dismissing what Gretzky did because of playing in the WHA. Well Gretzky did turn 19 by the end of the 79-80 season. He got 137 points. No other 19 year old as ever gotten that many points in the NHL. SYdney Crosby's second year in the NHL he was 19 and only got 120. So even if you consider the WHA as a prep year and to a degree a first year then his first official year in the NHL anybody who is great shoul dhave been able to match him in their second year right? Now Bobby orr was a defenceman which is a harder position to play and learn in the NHL at a young age but it took him 4 seasons and the age of 21 to get over 100 points. When Gretzky was 21 his 3rd year he scored 92 goals and had a total of 212 points. What does this mean. Well I do not think that it was the WHA that helped Gretzky it was just him being great. Think about it at the age of 21 no defenceman had has many points as Bobby Orr. However I think you can agree that Paul Coffey was the second best offensive defenceman ever and at the age of 21 he had only 24 points less the Orr at that age. Denis Potvin at the same age had 44 less points then Orr. Compared to Gretzky and his era Hawerchuk was the second best season at 21 and he was 82 points behind Gretzky the Magnificent Lemieux was a 105 points behind Gretzky at that same age. What I am trying to point out here is you know nothing if you are trying to make a point that one year in the WHA made the difference for Gretzky being as good as he was

Was Bobby Orr a faster skater then Gretzky? Any one with half a brain knows this. Honestly while Gretzky was playing in his prime their were probably 50 players that were faster the Gretzky. What does that mean? Russ Courtnall was one of the fastest players ever but he was not the best player. If you want to make a list of physical attributes between Orr and Gretzky go ahead. Bobby Orr was faster, Tougher, better skater, etc... No one will ever say Gretzky was physically better then anyone in the history of the NHL. He was not the fastest skater, he did not have the best shot. Was not the most gifted scorer, was not the greatest skater, was not the best stickhandler etc... and this is also true for the years he played in the NHL. How did Gretzky do what he did? Simple he saw the game like no other. He was smarter and had a gift on knowing what to do and when to do it.

Boby Orr had intagibles that is for sure. All the greats do. It is just that Gretzky did more then anyone else in the history of the game. Do not say that Gretzky could not control the game. He did. Wayne is the greatest ever because even though he might not have hit much, or played defensively like others. His offensive skills were so much above anyone else ever that him not blocking shots or being able to catch a guy on a breakaway does not matter if you can create offensive chances like he did.

The vision is always under estimated and will be until the end of time.

Starchild74

Aug 27, 2009
So? Orr came to a team that was in 6th place and it was also last place in the league at least 5 out of 6 years and that one team finished in 5th one point ahead of NY.

So they had been by far the worse team in hockey for years, and he came in and they showed some improvement, though still ended up in last place, moved up to 3rd best record, and yes it was expansion so I will just use their division with all the old teams in the NHL and they were the 6 best teams period.

In 68-69 they were 2nd place and got to the semi finals where the great Canadian team swept us and went to win the cup.

There are few things of greatness you can say about the G man that you can not say about Orr except scoring records and some trophies. Orr won 8 straight Norris trophies, but they don't seem to count, and three straight MVP trophies, 2 scoring titles, 6 straight years of 100 or more points when only he and Espo were regularly doing it. And he was a D man.

Okay do you know anything about hockey. I mean a lot of people have come on here and made great arguments for Bobby Orr and for the most part I agree with all of them and will never ever put Bobby Orr down to make Gretzky look or seem better. We all have opinions and as long as they are valid opinions then it is all good. But seriously do you know anything about hockey and the history of what yo are talking about.

Yes Boston had a bad decade in the 60's no question. Almost every team had times where they were not good. Well almost it always seemed the Canadiens were always good but even they had bad years. To say that the only thing that was going for the Bruins was Bobby Orr. Yes he was a key ingredient to the Bruins but by the second year of Bobby Orr's career, the Bruins were starting to put together a pretty good team. But of course you are right a team with Esposito, John Bucyk, a young Ken Hodge and Derek Sanderson, John McKenzie, and Gerry Cheevers. The main guys who would help the Bruins win the cup in 1970 was a lousy team and if it wasn't for Orr and his desire to win. The Boston Bruins would never have a chance because as you said the Bruins were a pathetic team and had no future. Wow too bad Esposito and company were so bad and pathetic. I wonder what would have happened if Orr actually had good players to play with. Poor guy had to carry these bunch of players to a cup

Yes you are so right I mean Wayne Gretzky took too long to take an expansion team called the Edmonont Oilers to the Final and win. Wow 5 years come on. Man Gretzky should have been kicked off that team for taking so long. I mean like you said "It took G 5 years and how many years had he been in the NHL? How long with his 1st team, and did he improve them at all? i don't remember. it took him 5 years just to GET to the finals and he started out with a much better team than Orr did. " First of all if you do not know that Wayne Gretzky started with the Oilers his first team. Did he improve them? Well they are probably one of the greatest teams ever. If you do not know anything about the players you are trying to compare , maybe you should just stay on the sidelines because you are making yourself look like an idiot. For your information maybe go and look at the History of the Oilers and maybe the History of Wayne Gretzky you might be surprised that Wayne Gretzky played hockey for it seems like you do not know anything.

What was more impressive the 76 Canada Cup team and win or the 87. Honestly that one is hard as their are alot of HHOF players on that 76 team but quite a few HHOF on the 87 team. Their are many opinions on this no matter what anyone says one thing that can not be denied the Gretzky to Lemieux goal in game three is one of the greatest goals in Canadian history.

Yes Bobby Orr was great and all his trophies are proof of that and his accomplishments. However anything you write loses credibility when you do not know that Wayne started with the Oilers. It was an expansion team and if you tell anyone on here that the Edmonton Oilers in their first two years had a better team then Boston in Orr's first two years I think Boston Bruins fans would be upset at under evaluating players like Esposito and Bucyk. If you take the Oilers first Cup and the Bruins second cup rosters. Their is not much seperating the two teams really. Orr was better then Coffey. Gretzky was better then Esposito, Kurri at the time was probably equal to Sanderson, or just a bit better by then. Messier at the time was the same kind of player as Bucyk with just more offensive talent. Cheevers was better the Moog at the time and some might argue as a career. Boston had a great team and by Orr's second year most of the chore was already in Boston. It wasn't until the 3rd year that the Oilers chore arrived and the core were all 24 or younger when they won the Cup in 84.

So please do a little more research before making statements. We all make mistakes of course but some things should be general knowledge when it comes to the greats.

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site
Okay do you know anything about hockey. I mean a lot of people have come on here and made great arguments for Bobby Orr and for the most part I agree with all of them and will never ever put Bobby Orr down to make Gretzky look or seem better. We all have opinions and as long as they are valid opinions then it is all good. But seriously do you know anything about hockey and the history of what yo are talking about.

Yes Boston had a bad decade in the 60's no question. Almost every team had times where they were not good. Well almost it always seemed the Canadiens were always good but even they had bad years. To say that the only thing that was going for the Bruins was Bobby Orr. Yes he was a key ingredient to the Bruins but by the second year of Bobby Orr's career, the Bruins were starting to put together a pretty good team. But of course you are right a team with Esposito, John Bucyk, a young Ken Hodge and Derek Sanderson, John McKenzie, and Gerry Cheevers. The main guys who would help the Bruins win the cup in 1970 was a lousy team and if it wasn't for Orr and his desire to win. The Boston Bruins would never have a chance because as you said the Bruins were a pathetic team and had no future. Wow too bad Esposito and company were so bad and pathetic. I wonder what would have happened if Orr actually had good players to play with. Poor guy had to carry these bunch of players to a cup

Yes you are so right I mean Wayne Gretzky took too long to take an expansion team called the Edmonont Oilers to the Final and win. Wow 5 years come on. Man Gretzky should have been kicked off that team for taking so long. I mean like you said "It took G 5 years and how many years had he been in the NHL? How long with his 1st team, and did he improve them at all? i don't remember. it took him 5 years just to GET to the finals and he started out with a much better team than Orr did. " First of all if you do not know that Wayne Gretzky started with the Oilers his first team. Did he improve them? Well they are probably one of the greatest teams ever. If you do not know anything about the players you are trying to compare , maybe you should just stay on the sidelines because you are making yourself look like an idiot. For your information maybe go and look at the History of the Oilers and maybe the History of Wayne Gretzky you might be surprised that Wayne Gretzky played hockey for it seems like you do not know anything.

What was more impressive the 76 Canada Cup team and win or the 87. Honestly that one is hard as their are alot of HHOF players on that 76 team but quite a few HHOF on the 87 team. Their are many opinions on this no matter what anyone says one thing that can not be denied the Gretzky to Lemieux goal in game three is one of the greatest goals in Canadian history.

Yes Bobby Orr was great and all his trophies are proof of that and his accomplishments. However anything you write loses credibility when you do not know that Wayne started with the Oilers. It was an expansion team and if you tell anyone on here that the Edmonton Oilers in their first two years had a better team then Boston in Orr's first two years I think Boston Bruins fans would be upset at under evaluating players like Esposito and Bucyk. If you take the Oilers first Cup and the Bruins second cup rosters. Their is not much seperating the two teams really. Orr was better then Coffey. Gretzky was better then Esposito, Kurri at the time was probably equal to Sanderson, or just a bit better by then. Messier at the time was the same kind of player as Bucyk with just more offensive talent. Cheevers was better the Moog at the time and some might argue as a career. Boston had a great team and by Orr's second year most of the chore was already in Boston. It wasn't until the 3rd year that the Oilers chore arrived and the core were all 24 or younger when they won the Cup in 84.

So please do a little more research before making statements. We all make mistakes of course but some things should be general knowledge when it comes to the greats.

Good post, however, saying that the Oilers, Jets, Whalers and Nords were true expansion teams is not accurate at all.
They did not start from scratch like every other "expansion" team before or after them, the Sharks being the only exception and even through their deal with Minny, they still weren't working with half as much as the WHA teams did.

There is a reason why the Flyers hold the record for the fastest expansion team to win a Cup and not the Oilers.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Good post, however, saying that the Oilers, Jets, Whalers and Nords were true expansion teams is not accurate at all.
They did not start from scratch like every other "expansion" team before or after them, the Sharks being the only exception and even through their deal with Minny, they still weren't working with half as much as the WHA teams did.
The WHA teams were only allowed to keep two skaters and two goalies, so they didn't have a whole lot to work with. You could argue that it was still more than the expansion teams had, but the WHA teams had the extra disadvantage of not getting to make draft picks in '79 until the end of the 1st round after all the NHL teams had already made a selection, instead of the beginning of the 1st like expansion teams usually do.

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site
The WHA teams were only allowed to keep two skaters and two goalies, so they didn't have a whole lot to work with. You could argue that it was still more than the expansion teams had, but the WHA teams had the extra disadvantage of not getting to make draft picks in '79 until the end of the 1st round after all the NHL teams had already made a selection, instead of the beginning of the 1st like expansion teams usually do.

They were only allowed to PROTECT two skaters and two goalies, big difference there from saying they were only allowed to KEEP them and what were they protected from exactly? Not like there was an expansion draft.
It was more like the waiver draft and any team that took an unprotected player then had to make someone else off their roster available.
Teams were much more apt to simply go after what were basically UFA's from other WHA teams that were disbanding then go after players that they may have to give something up for.
Guys like Mike Gartner and Rick Vaive.
Any player not taken remained on those teams so all 4 of them came into the league with not only full rosters but also rosters that had already been playing together.

EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it, I believe some of those players simply went into the '79 entry draft. I'll have to check that later after work unless someone beats me to it before that ;)

Last edited:

DutchLeafsfan

Jun 3, 2002
Rotterdam, NL
www.gamer.nl
I'd like to pitch in once more, this time to address the 'stats are for losers' phrase which has gotten a lot of air time in the last ten or so pages.

I'm of the belief that using the phrase, supposedly supported by all time greats in this context is misleading. In general if key players and officials are quoted like this, it's in the context of choosing between something which gives better stats, or something which gives a better chance to win. For example, a player deciding to give up some of his offense (and as such, some of his offensive stats), to improve his defense and give his team a better chance to win. Team players like that care more about winning as a team, and will do what's necessary to achieve this. That's the context 'stats are for losers' is generally used in, since sometimes you sacrifice stats to win.

However, using 'stats are for losers' as a 'Get out of jail for free' card to avoid any statistical argument you do not like, and acting like eye-witness accounts are the only valid way of judging a players worth is an invalid application of the phrase. From all accounts, both Bobby Orr and Wayne Gretzky (and essentially, most of the all-time greats) were players who did their utmost to help their teams win. Orr's combination of defense and rushing appears to have worked wonders for the Bruins, and I have my doubts whether Gretzky sacrificing his offense on a significant improvement of his defensive game would have made the Oilers a more succesful team. Both players from what I understand played in a role to best utilize their unique talents they provided to those teams.

Statistics are not the end-all and be-all of any discussion. Eras can change, and attempting to quantify these changes by using adjusted stats has shown on several occasions to not exactly be a waterproof system. However, that does not mean that stats are worthless, or 'stats are for losers'. When looking back on the careers of two players who were both far ahead of their peers, the statistics they achieved while doing their best to help their teams win are when used properly a useful tool to see just how dominant and great both players were.

Just throwing in a 'stats are for losers' whenever it suits you, rather than address an argument is a weak way of dodging what may or may not be a strong point which you might not be able to counter otherwise. Especially when writing things such as:

quasi1981 said:
I am not saying G wasn't great but Orr had at least equal vision and was the greatest passer ever even while lying on his side facing his goalie and finding the puck and no look pass to his mate out front right on his stick, and one more pass and a goal. He led the league in assists 5 out of 6 years and finished very close to Espo on the 2nd place finish, and he played D. He scored over a 100 points about 6 times and only 11 guys not on his team in his 8 years did this, and the Gman in his same amount of best years, only, lol, 78 guys did it. So now you can start seeing how stats being used in all these chats are so misleading.

Interestingly you point at this yourself as stats being misleading, when the way you use them is actually the misleading part. Yes, more players scored above 100 points in the 80s than in the 70s. You kind of tend to forget here that Gretzky scored over 200 points four times in his best years. Nobody else managed that.

Statistics do require some knowledge to use, and are as I mentioned never the end all and be all that can solely settle a discussion. But stats do not mislead. Posters selectively using stats can mislead however.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
The Stats Perspective

I'd like to pitch in once more, this time to address the 'stats are for losers' phrase which has gotten a lot of air time in the last ten or so pages.

I'm of the belief that using the phrase, supposedly supported by all time greats in this context is misleading. In general if key players and officials are quoted like this, it's in the context of choosing between something which gives better stats, or something which gives a better chance to win. For example, a player deciding to give up some of his offense (and as such, some of his offensive stats), to improve his defense and give his team a better chance to win. Team players like that care more about winning as a team, and will do what's necessary to achieve this. That's the context 'stats are for losers' is generally used in, since sometimes you sacrifice stats to win.

However, using 'stats are for losers' as a 'Get out of jail for free' card to avoid any statistical argument you do not like, and acting like eye-witness accounts are the only valid way of judging a players worth is an invalid application of the phrase. From all accounts, both Bobby Orr and Wayne Gretzky (and essentially, most of the all-time greats) were players who did their utmost to help their teams win. Orr's combination of defense and rushing appears to have worked wonders for the Bruins, and I have my doubts whether Gretzky sacrificing his offense on a significant improvement of his defensive game would have made the Oilers a more succesful team. Both players from what I understand played in a role to best utilize their unique talents they provided to those teams.

Statistics are not the end-all and be-all of any discussion. Eras can change, and attempting to quantify these changes by using adjusted stats has shown on several occasions to not exactly be a waterproof system. However, that does not mean that stats are worthless, or 'stats are for losers'. When looking back on the careers of two players who were both far ahead of their peers, the statistics they achieved while doing their best to help their teams win are when used properly a useful tool to see just how dominant and great both players were.

Just throwing in a 'stats are for losers' whenever it suits you, rather than address an argument is a weak way of dodging what may or may not be a strong point which you might not be able to counter otherwise. Especially when writing things such as:

Interestingly you point at this yourself as stats being misleading, when the way you use them is actually the misleading part. Yes, more players scored above 100 points in the 80s than in the 70s. You kind of tend to forget here that Gretzky scored over 200 points four times in his best years. Nobody else managed that.

Statistics do require some knowledge to use, and are as I mentioned never the end all and be all that can solely settle a discussion. But stats do not mislead. Posters selectively using stats can mislead however.

Thought provoking post.

A few distinctions have to be made. Statistics are simply a by-product of any sport. They are not the main objective. Winning has always been the main objective - why the sport is played in the first place.

Looking at statistics from a hockey perspective there are various categories and levels of statistics. The most obvious are the team statistics and the individual statistics followed by the substrata which includes situational statistics, group statistics - how a line or a unit performs etc, basically an endless stream of number crunching
that represents a niche that someone finds important or interesting.
All have various degrees of merit as long as they are used to describe why a team won or why teams did not win.

Beyond describing why teams won or why teams did not win there is the slippery slope which leads to the "Stats are for Losers" position. Usually this comes with an agenda, excuses, fanism - player, team or country, trying to salvage something from a defeat as opposed to using the data to build a winning situation in the future.If the statistical data is used in this fashion - building for the future, then you have the "Stats are for Winners" position which is what the great coaches, managers, owners allude to when they they dismissively state "Stats are for Losers".

The Wayne Gretzky situation is rather interesting in this regard. A pattern has emerged from all the Gretzky threads. Posters tend to describe his all-time statistical exploits - more assists than anyone player has points, from an overall perspective blending his career with four teams. Yet when they discuss Wayne Gretzky and winning they limit their focus to his Oiler era including the Canada Cups. Little statistical effort is expended looking at his LA, St.Louis or NYR days.Interesting omission.

Perhaps this topic should be continued in a distinct thread.

shazariahl

Apr 7, 2009
Thought provoking post.

A few distinctions have to be made. Statistics are simply a by-product of any sport. They are not the main objective. Winning has always been the main objective - why the sport is played in the first place.

Looking at statistics from a hockey perspective there are various categories and levels of statistics. The most obvious are the team statistics and the individual statistics followed by the substrata which includes situational statistics, group statistics - how a line or a unit performs etc, basically an endless stream of number crunching
All have various degrees of merit as long as they are used to describe why a team won or why teams did not win.

Beyond describing why teams won or why teams did not win there is the slippery slope which leads to the "Stats are for Losers" position. Usually this comes with an agenda, excuses, fanism - player, team or country, trying to salvage something from a defeat as opposed to using the data to build a winning situation in the future.If the statistical data is used in this fashion - building for the future, then you have the "Stats are for Winners" position which is what the great coaches, managers, owners allude to when they they dismissively state "Stats are for Losers".

The Wayne Gretzky situation is rather interesting in this regard. A pattern has emerged from all the Gretzky threads. Posters tend to describe his all-time statistical exploits - more assists than anyone player has points, from an overall perspective blending his career with four teams. Yet when they discuss Wayne Gretzky and winning they limit their focus to his Oiler era including the Canada Cups. Little statistical effort is expended looking at his LA, St.Louis or NYR days.Interesting omission.

To be fair, many people have cited his 93 season with the kings, and his scoring 40 pts that Post season. He also won multiple Art Ross trophies with the kings, so its not like people ignore those years entirely. Of course, he played less than a season with the Blues, so there's not much to talk about there. And by the time he played with the Rangers he was old and well past his peak. I'm not saying I think these eras of his play should be ignored, but why would people focus on them, especially when comparing him to someone who didn't play beyond age 30? If it was a longevity discussion, I'm sure people would talk about these years more, but in a comparison with Orr it is (and should be) more about their peak/prime years.

Also, Gretzky wasn't just great as a life-long body of work. He has nearly every single season record and milestone achievements imaginable.

About the "stats are for losers" thing that quasi keeps throwing out - I made a post about 10 pages or more ago adressing it, and DutchLeafsFan has made another strong statement about it. I'd like to see Quasi adress those posts, rather than just ranting about the use of stats. As I said before, Gretzky isn't great because of his stats, rather his stats were a bi-product of his greatness.

habsjunkie2*

Thought provoking post.

Or perhaps, LA, St Louis, NYR weren't nearly as good as the Oilers. No one ever said Gretzky was only reason the Oil ever won. Messier Captained them to a cup without Wayne. He was a contributor (the most important), but one of many pieces.

Not to mention Gretzky only played a few games with St Louis and was on the down side of his career in NY.

Same as Ray Bourque. One of the best dman of all time. He was on some pretty bad teams in Boston and didn't win anything until he went to Colorado, no fault of Ray's he was more than holding up his end of the bargain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad