Orr Video

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
I do understand how you feel. I sure realize that Orr was a diety in Boston and no one in Boston would dare write anything negative.

But Orr wasn't bad in any sense. He was a young kid, with a lot of pressure and always in the spotlight. But there were articles written at the time that talked about Orr's off ice behaviour. He was no different than anyone else - he was just human.

I don't think any less of Orr now. He will always be idolized. Brunt had to write what what he found. He wasn't looking for dirt but he had to do an honest job. He is a reporter, what did you expect? Sugarcoat everything and write a superficial book? Those books on Orr have been written. His 'perception' was not 'guessing', if that's what you mean. I think I might know what Brunt's reasoning was.

For the most part, Orr's teammates wouldn't talk about Orr. Of course, they didn't want to be on Orr's bad side but their respect for Orr was so great, they didn't want anything negative being said. That is too be admired.

So, a young Orr liked women - big deal. Did you like Espo's book? He had a lot of teammates mad at him for revealing all the dirt. A lot of wives were upset as well.

Hopefully, Orr will write his own book someday. He has a lot to tell.

No offense but I was 10 when Orr was at his peak and 19 when he retired and my entire generation of Boston kids (grew up 3 miles from the Garden and Dad had season tickets that were passed to me) idolize Orr as Deity. Noone I know ever knew anything more than his spotless public persona. In Boston right now he is still worshiped and this book is the first any of us ever heard of his womanizing,paranoia,sensitivity or vindictiveness. Personally I found the book alternately fascinating and boring but fascinating does not imply I enjoyed it. 2 big thumbs down from an Orr generation Boston boy/season ticket holder/player for 43 years!!BTW he said he wrote his perception of what he found.

doc5hole

Nov 30, 2003
www.southcoasttoday.com
Still in the early stages of Brunt's book, but one of the more fascinating things I saw that didn't register with me when it happened was how Orr was first faced with the trap by the Habs in the 71 playoffs. It didn't help that the players basically coaches themselves on the ice. Had Harry still been behind the bench, I imagine the Bruins reel off three straight Cups before the WHA and expansion ravage them in 72-73.

Last edited:

Tb0ne

Nov 29, 2004
Victoria
It is really hard for me to judge Orr off seeing so little video, when in comparison to what I've seen of Gretzky and Lemeiux it is pratically nothing. That said, everything I have seen has been extreamly impressive, I only wonder if these highlight reels are the best of the best of the best... or merely just a glimpse of what he did in his NHL career only a regular basis.
In all videos I've seen it appears as though no player from the other team could ever hope to check him, as he uses his position, strength, and excellent stickhandling to protect the puck while he uses his superior speed and skating ability to escape his check (sometimes he'll just beat a player on the outside or inside with speed, which reminds me of Crosby or Bure). The goals I've seen in these videos seem like they would beat modern goalies, which is something I can't say for goals in other highlight reels of players from the same era. He shoots hard and accurately to the cornesr, or off the insides of posts. His slapshot seemed really good, but again I don't have much of a frame of referance for what was great back then.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=lv0-9Wi713o&mode=related&search=
In this video around 0:42 seconds he does the passing version of Ovechkin's rolling behind the back while on the ice goal last season, which definatly would standout as a Play of the Year on SportsTV today if the player he passed to had scored (at least I don't think he scored).
He scores at least two one-handed goals that might beat a modern goalie, and are as good as any other one handed shots I've seen before.
His hand-eye coordination to bat pucks out of the air would be also impressive today
and the highlight where he slapshots the puck from his own team's goaline for an empty net goal would also be as impressive (which I think went high into the net).

Are there any videos like Ultimate Gretzky which show more clips from Orr's career, because this has really gotten me interested to see more (looks like I missed out on quite a player).
Only thing to do is to hope there will be another one like him.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
Probably the saddest thing about by hockey fandom is that I just missed seeing Bobby Orr. I started getting involved and watching hockey in the mid-70's or so and do remember Orr being called the best player, but I don't recall ever seeing him play. I remember him more as a Hawk than a Bruin.

NinjaSid

Apr 18, 2006
Are there any videos like Ultimate Gretzky which show more clips from Orr's career, because this has really gotten me interested to see more (looks like I missed out on quite a player).

I've watched the video 4 times now, I need to see more Orr:)

When he first came into the league, what was his personality and game like? Did he dominate right away or take a few seasons to mould his game?

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
As an old-timer (was around 10 when #4 was in his prime), I'm just jazzed that there are seemingly some younger fans here actually interested in learning more about Bobby Orr.

Good for you. :clap:

Sure beats engaging in the overly-simplistic "my generation of players is better than your's!" banter that is found daily on the main board. :shakehead

It's a curious mind - one that invests time in learning about the game that came before you - that will provide a greater perspective on today's greats. For example, I agree fully with the poster who made a comparison between the skating stride and ridiculous burst of speed one sees in #87 today and #4 back in the day. Uncanny and unmatched by all others, IMO.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
It is really hard for me to judge Orr off seeing so little video, when in comparison to what I've seen of Gretzky and Lemeiux it is pratically nothing. That said, everything I have seen has been extreamly impressive, I only wonder if these highlight reels are the best of the best of the best... or merely just a glimpse of what he did in his NHL career only a regular basis.
In all videos I've seen it appears as though no player from the other team could ever hope to check him, as he uses his position, strength, and excellent stickhandling to protect the puck while he uses his superior speed and skating ability to escape his check (sometimes he'll just beat a player on the outside or inside with speed, which reminds me of Crosby or Bure). The goals I've seen in these videos seem like they would beat modern goalies, which is something I can't say for goals in other highlight reels of players from the same era. He shoots hard and accurately to the cornesr, or off the insides of posts. His slapshot seemed really good, but again I don't have much of a frame of referance for what was great back then.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=lv0-9Wi713o&mode=related&search=
In this video around 0:42 seconds he does the passing version of Ovechkin's rolling behind the back while on the ice goal last season, which definatly would standout as a Play of the Year on SportsTV today if the player he passed to had scored (at least I don't think he scored).
He scores at least two one-handed goals that might beat a modern goalie, and are as good as any other one handed shots I've seen before.
His hand-eye coordination to bat pucks out of the air would be also impressive today
and the highlight where he slapshots the puck from his own team's goaline for an empty net goal would also be as impressive (which I think went high into the net).

I have a tape that I got through the Hockey News that is over 2 hours of Orr highlights (including fights) with no interviews or repeats!

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I do understand how you feel. I sure realize that Orr was a diety in Boston and no one in Boston would dare write anything negative.

But Orr wasn't bad in any sense. He was a young kid, with a lot of pressure and always in the spotlight. But there were articles written at the time that talked about Orr's off ice behaviour. He was no different than anyone else - he was just human.

I don't think any less of Orr now. He will always be idolized. Brunt had to write what what he found. He wasn't looking for dirt but he had to do an honest job. He is a reporter, what did you expect? Sugarcoat everything and write a superficial book? Those books on Orr have been written. His 'perception' was not 'guessing', if that's what you mean. I think I might know what Brunt's reasoning was.

For the most part, Orr's teammates wouldn't talk about Orr. Of course, they didn't want to be on Orr's bad side but their respect for Orr was so great, they didn't want anything negative being said. That is too be admired.

So, a young Orr liked women - big deal. Did you like Espo's book? He had a lot of teammates mad at him for revealing all the dirt. A lot of wives were upset as well.

I was not aware of Espo's book and yes I would have liked to have read the sweet stuff and not the "hole in the sock" hypersensitive brat stuff he covered. Nobody here wants to hear Orr dirt,sorry. You say they wrote about it in the seventies but I never heard or read any of it that I can recall. Just let me have my perfect childhood hero intact! BTW ,in the 70 cup on ice celebration video, you see those kids chasing Bucyk around the ice with the cup? How do you do?

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston

I was not aware of Espo's book and yes I would have liked to have read the sweet stuff and not the "hole in the sock" hypersensitive brat stuff he covered. Nobody here wants to hear Orr dirt,sorry. You say they wrote about it in the seventies but I never heard or read any of it that I can recall. Just let me have my perfect childhood hero intact! BTW ,in the 70 cup on ice celebration video, you see those kids chasing Bucyk around the ice with the cup? How do you do?

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
Murray, did you get the Orr book?

I researched that book for 2 years and Stephen Brunt is just an outstanding writer with incredible analytical ability. To have a hockey book on a National Best Seller list for so long is incredible.

We're around the same age - I actually was at Bobby Orr's 1st game for Oshawa - I remember a smallish player wearing #2 with a helmet - he really stood out for that, and his play of course. I still have the program.
Haven't got the book yet but will pick it up. Did read Espo's book in which he is very candid about Hull & Orr & their womanizing. Big surprise, Eh. Sounds pretty normal to me. (note I have changed my sign on to pappyline from murray).

doc5hole

Nov 30, 2003
www.southcoasttoday.com
I've watched the video 4 times now, I need to see more Orr:)

When he first came into the league, what was his personality and game like? Did he dominate right away or take a few seasons to mould his game?

If you watch games from his first three years, there's a definite progression. he had a lot of respect for the game and the veteran players and didn't try to reinvent his position as he reportedly had done as a junior. I watched him live from his rookie season (66-67) but as a kid ... the vids I've recently seen confirm that progression.
My 67-68 tape at Leafs he makes 2-3 charges at the net as the late guy or breaks in weak side. The next season there's more, and more in charge of the entire game. By 69-70, he's just taken over the game and is running it.
By the 73 playoffs, his left knee was so bad he stopped skating backwards and just darted at puck carriers like a backchecker, and the NYRs exploited that en route to their five-game win. If you see Game 6 in 74 at Philly on Classic, you'll see at the end how he can't skate except straight ahead -- left knee was bone on bone by the end of the 71-72 season. But what's cool about those early years is watching him play more conventionally, backwards crossovers while transitioning a relay outlet, stuff like that. The extension in his stride was unparalleled.
The mind blower is he played his last full season (1974-75) on one knee, won the NHL scoring race and went an NHL-best plus-80 on an eroding Bruins team. Unbelievable. Clarke, the game's ultimate smart player/team player at the time, was on a championship team with 19 more points that was less reliant on its powerplay and went plus-79.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
As an old-timer (was around 10 when #4 was in his prime), I'm just jazzed that there are seemingly some younger fans here actually interested in learning more about Bobby Orr.

Good for you. :clap:

Sure beats engaging in the overly-simplistic "my generation of players is better than your's!" banter that is found daily on the main board. :shakehead

It's a curious mind - one that invests time in learning about the game that came before you - that will provide a greater perspective on today's greats. For example, I agree fully with the poster who made a comparison between the skating stride and ridiculous burst of speed one sees in #87 today and #4 back in the day. Uncanny and unmatched by all others, IMO.

I think you get quite a difference mix between the two boards. Us young'uns who come to this board actually care about the history of the game, most others get scared away by the word 'history'. ;)

CoupeStanley

Dec 1, 2003
Nicolet
coupestanley.com
God I hate this song...
I hate the girl I associated with this song..

Ah.. If only I would really hate her :(

I would have never suspected Bobby Orr to break my hearth today.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad