Confirmed with Link: Orlov signs 1 year 2.57 mil

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
If Orlov has a great season I could see the Capitals protecting him over Johansson, Wilson, Beagle, Eller, etc.

The only 4 forwards who for sure will be protected at this point are Ovechkin, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky. Oshie and Williams will be UFAs so they might not be protected. Johansson likely is done with his development at this point and I could see him being exposed if he can't provide offense at even strength. Wilson, if he doesn't show much offensive growth, isn't worth protecting over a good top 4 D. Beagle is a great 4C but again, those aren't as rare as a good top 4 D. And Eller is a wild card right now since I don't think anyone knows what to expect after some tumultuous years in Montreal.

It's still very early and I'd guess Orlov will be exposed, but it wouldn't shock me to see him have a great season and be protected as part of the 8 skaters + 1 goalie scheme rather than the 7 forwards, 3 defensemen, and 1 goalie scheme.

It's possible, but I doubt it.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I expect Oshie and Alzner to sign extensions during the course of the season, unless they have a terrible injury or get hurt.

Oshie is just getting better, it seems, and brings a lot of intangibles to the program. He's also a terrific player. I'd like to see him get locked up to a 5.5-6m a year deal, for 5 years.

Alzner is same.....and I'd go longer. 4.5 for 8

Oshie is going to be 30 years old, no thanks to that contract. I'd be open to re-signing him but if that's what he'll command (which he might) then I can't see that being a good deal for Washington.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
And then what...no Oshie leaves a GAPING hole...
They'll live. There's bound to be a veteran stopgap RW option that would be decent enough. It's not as though Oshie is an ideal top-line RW anyway and he's likely to slow down even further over the coming years. I'd give him three years max and probably not much over $5M. If he warrants more on the open market so be it. There's no way he should be considered a core player with term for a Cup contender, esp. an older one as it is. Not unless the value is in line with a 3RW perhaps sooner than later.

It's hard to go too far down the road of who needs to be signed to what contract. They should get Alzner & Kuznetsov locked up because those are no-brainers but that's about it. Maybe Schmidt & Grubauer on the cheap if they're open to it. Same with Burakovsky, though he's more likely to wait and make his production do the talking. Everyone else can wait.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I expect Oshie and Alzner to sign extensions during the course of the season, unless they have a terrible injury or get hurt.

Oshie is just getting better, it seems, and brings a lot of intangibles to the program. He's also a terrific player. I'd like to see him get locked up to a 5.5-6m a year deal, for 5 years.

Alzner is same.....and I'd go longer. 4.5 for 8

I think that Alzner contract is pretty optimistic for the Caps, and Oshie slightly so as well.

Most of the prized UFA wingers are cashing in heavily on their term and getting contracts until at least age 35. Eriksson ($6Mx6y, age 31), Lucic ($6Mx7y, age 28), Okposo ($6x7y, age 28), Ladd ($5.5Mx7y, age 30), Cammalleri ($5Mx5y, age 34), and Moulson ($5Mx5y, age 32) for example. Getting a 29 year old Oshie to settle in a shorter deal might be a challenge, knowing that this is almost certainly going to be his last major contract. I'd peg him at $6M for 6 or 7 years on the open market.

As I've said elsewhere, while I love Oshie, I want to see more of him at even-strength before I'd sign him to $36M or $42M contract. Right now he's terrific on the powerplay and a really popular player among fans (and did a lot to erase his previous playoff issues this post-season), but his even-strength production wasn't overwhelming and we've seen lesser players succeed in that powerplay role. I love every penny of the $4.175M we're spending on him now, but with raises at least coming to Kuznetsov, Alzner, and Burakovsky, giving Oshie a raise as well likely mandates the subtraction of players elsewhere on the roster. It could be the right move, but I want to see levels of even-strength production that assure me he's not a replaceable part. That could be increased ES scoring with Ovechkin or continuing a similar level of production as the catalyst on his own line with tougher deployments.

Alzner would have to take a serious hometown discount to stick around at $4.5M. Maybe the stability of 8 years is enticing, but even that's only a $36M contract and eats up almost all of his remaining career. When you look at the AAV that guys like Staal, Girardi, Orpik, Sekera, and Petry received, it's a hard sell to keep Alzner down at $4.5M. $5M seems like the very low end of what he would fetch on the open market, and some trade board posters have hypothesized $6M-$7M offers being thrown his direction. In principle, I'd be wary of overpaying for Alzner. As much as I love him (and own his jersey), I do feel the Caps fanbase as a whole likely overrates him somewhat. Unfortunately, without any near term replacements in the system, the Capitals are pretty much bound to extending him.

Then there also is the concept of leaving a player a UFA at the time of the expansion draft purely to dissuade Vegas from selecting them, only to re-ink them afterwards. It runs the risk of bleeding into the period where players have the option of talking to other teams, so there's risk associated, but it might be worthwhile to essentially provide "soft protection" for a couple of players. Similarly, they may also want to factor post-season performance into their evaluation of these guys (particularly Oshie).

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
You have to actually HAVE a serviceable part to replace Oshie. 6x$6 or 5x$6 might be exactly what it would take....Caps have nothing otherwise. Expecting some sudden surge in production from him is chasing a dream IMO. He is what he is and is still damn valuable even if we want more out of him.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Oshie is going to be 30 years old, no thanks to that contract. I'd be open to re-signing him but if that's what he'll command (which he might) then I can't see that being a good deal for Washington.

He's a late bloomer, and he doesn't need speed to be successful. He's not Orpik (I use him only as it fits your narrative).

5 years would be his ages 30-35 (contract ends when he's 35). I don't see a problem with it.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I think that Alzner contract is pretty optimistic for the Caps, and Oshie slightly so as well.

Most of the prized UFA wingers are cashing in heavily on their term and getting contracts until at least age 35. Eriksson ($6Mx6y, age 31), Lucic ($6Mx7y, age 28), Okposo ($6x7y, age 28), Ladd ($5.5Mx7y, age 30), Cammalleri ($5Mx5y, age 34), and Moulson ($5Mx5y, age 32) for example. Getting a 29 year old Oshie to settle in a shorter deal might be a challenge, knowing that this is almost certainly going to be his last major contract. I'd peg him at $6M for 6 or 7 years on the open market.

As I've said elsewhere, while I love Oshie, I want to see more of him at even-strength before I'd sign him to $36M or $42M contract. Right now he's terrific on the powerplay and a really popular player among fans (and did a lot to erase his previous playoff issues this post-season), but his even-strength production wasn't overwhelming and we've seen lesser players succeed in that powerplay role. I love every penny of the $4.175M we're spending on him now, but with raises at least coming to Kuznetsov, Alzner, and Burakovsky, giving Oshie a raise as well likely mandates the subtraction of players elsewhere on the roster. It could be the right move, but I want to see levels of even-strength production that assure me he's not a replaceable part. That could be increased ES scoring with Ovechkin or continuing a similar level of production as the catalyst on his own line with tougher deployments.

Alzner would have to take a serious hometown discount to stick around at $4.5M. Maybe the stability of 8 years is enticing, but even that's only a $36M contract and eats up almost all of his remaining career. When you look at the AAV that guys like Staal, Girardi, Orpik, Sekera, and Petry received, it's a hard sell to keep Alzner down at $4.5M. $5M seems like the very low end of what he would fetch on the open market, and some trade board posters have hypothesized $6M-$7M offers being thrown his direction. In principle, I'd be wary of overpaying for Alzner. As much as I love him (and own his jersey), I do feel the Caps fanbase as a whole likely overrates him somewhat. Unfortunately, without any near term replacements in the system, the Capitals are pretty much bound to extending him.

Then there also is the concept of leaving a player a UFA at the time of the expansion draft purely to dissuade Vegas from selecting them, only to re-ink them afterwards. It runs the risk of bleeding into the period where players have the option of talking to other teams, so there's risk associated, but it might be worthwhile to essentially provide "soft protection" for a couple of players. Similarly, they may also want to factor post-season performance into their evaluation of these guys (particularly Oshie).

I was definitely using the 6m bar for all the wingers this off season. Felt that maybe the certainty of doing it now, staying in DC, and some hometown disc would get the 5.5m done. I was thinking 5/27.5. I'd be thrilled.

Alzner.....I know, it's a quandary. We do value him more than anyone (I also have a 27 jersey....and a 77 too FWIW), but I think he'd get big money somewhere, to your point. Same thinking for Oshie, just with a lot longer term. 8/36 (I'd go 8/38) would be terrific. Not saying it will work, but it could. I'd also be thrilled to see it.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
He's a late bloomer, and he doesn't need speed to be successful. He's not Orpik (I use him only as it fits your narrative).

5 years would be his ages 30-35 (contract ends when he's 35). I don't see a problem with it.

There's really no evidence to support he's a late bloomer. His even strength point production was much lower this past season than when he was with St. Louis (except for his injury-riddled 2012-13) and he arguably had better linemates in Washington than in St. Louis. As has been discussed many times, his production was boosted primarily by the power play. And while he played his role on the power play really nicely, so did Troy Brouwer, Joel Ward, Justin Williams, etc. It's a role that likely someone else could fill close to as well as Oshie has for much cheaper.

While he had a great playoffs this past season, there's no reason to believe that's going to be the norm going forward rather than just a hot 12 game sample especially given his lack of production in playoffs past. Would you be willing to give him the contract mentioned if he had a poor, or even a lukewarm postseason?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
You have to actually HAVE a serviceable part to replace Oshie. 6x$6 or 5x$6 might be exactly what it would take....Caps have nothing otherwise. Expecting some sudden surge in production from him is chasing a dream IMO. He is what he is and is still damn valuable even if we want more out of him.
Organizations backing themselves into a corner thinking it's this option or nothing are how bad decisions are made. It's never that dire. For one, we have no idea what happens with the open scoring-line wing spot and the opportunity that gives to a younger player this season. They need to establish a limit of what's acceptable under a variety of term and hold firm to it, assuming it's a priority. If nothing lines up so be it. There will be other options available, if not via UFA then in a trade. Who knows, maybe a re-structuring is called for and such a status quo type move won't be called for. Part of re-structuring, or at least being open to it, is acknowledging that a step back isn't the worst thing in the world if they're committing to a coherent plan.

Some uncertainty on the wing is not a terrible state if they've established three strong centers down the middle. In general I'd be more concerned with tactics and upgrading the blueline than some potentially dire winger situation. If the tactics, possession game and blueline quality are in place it's much easier to plug in wings that fit than any other position.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
They'll live. There's bound to be a veteran stopgap RW option that would be decent enough. It's not as though Oshie is an ideal top-line RW anyway and he's likely to slow down even further over the coming years. I'd give him three years max and probably not much over $5M. If he warrants more on the open market so be it. There's no way he should be considered a core player with term for a Cup contender, esp. an older one as it is. Not unless the value is in line with a 3RW perhaps sooner than later.

It's hard to go too far down the road of who needs to be signed to what contract. They should get Alzner & Kuznetsov locked up because those are no-brainers but that's about it. Maybe Schmidt & Grubauer on the cheap if they're open to it. Same with Burakovsky, though he's more likely to wait and make his production do the talking. Everyone else can wait.

I appreciate your stance, but it's not one NHL GM's and coaches are likely to agree with, because they actually get fired when stuff goes really bad, and when you let your top guys go with a 'meh there SHOULD be SOMEONE who isn't complete garbage out there to save us' plan, those rarely turn out well in my experience in life.

That's a huuuuuuuuuuge gamble if Burt doesn't take a big step forward and more so if Williams peels out. It's easy to say he shouldn't be a core team member, but reality says differently IMO. I expect if he has another solid season, he'll be locked up or he'll roll out to someone willing to pay him for 5 years. I expect he would have a long line of suitors in that scenario.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Organizations backing themselves into a corner thinking it's this option or nothing are how bad decisions are made. It's never that dire. For one, we have no idea what happens with the open scoring-line wing spot and the opportunity that gives to a younger player this season. They need to establish a limit of what's acceptable under a variety of term and hold firm to it, assuming it's a priority. If nothing lines up so be it. There will be other options available, if not via UFA then in a trade. Who knows, maybe a re-structuring is called for and such a status quo type move won't be called for. Part of re-structuring, or at least being open to it, is acknowledging that a step back isn't the worst thing in the world if they're committing to a coherent plan.

Some uncertainty on the wing is not a terrible state if they've established three strong centers down the middle. In general I'd be more concerned with tactics and upgrading the blueline than some potentially dire winger situation. If the tactics, possession game and blueline quality are in place it's much easier to plug in wings that fit than any other position.

No organizations who gamble with premium roster spots are how bad decision are made. If Oshie has a similarly productive season and continues to show he's a great complimentary player and teammate, I don't see the Caps walking away unless he's asking absurd terms. You're presenting this approach as a guy with nothing to lose....it's not reality. If a, b, c, d, then it's easier to plug in an average top-6 RW and expect it all to work out in a Cup? I need to be sold on a lot more than IF's and IMAGINARY free agent fits that are anywhere close to good.

Last edited:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Even a five year deal (let alone the six or seven it will likely take to sign him) would make Oshie the Capital with the most term remaining on his contract, beating out Niskanen and Ovechkin by one year. Granted, Kuznetsov will likely receive a deal that keeps him around even longer. Either way, such a commitment to Oshie at that term and at the AAV level he will command is signaling that he's a core piece of the puzzle. I just don't know if he's done enough to warrant that commitment. So far he's looked more like a cog than an engine.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I appreciate your stance, but it's not one NHL GM's and coaches are likely to agree with, because they actually get fired when stuff goes really bad, and when you let your top guys go with a 'meh there SHOULD be SOMEONE who isn't complete garbage out there to save us' plan, those rarely turn out well in my experience in life.
They also get fired when they make poor bets on the future when that futures blows up on them and they're left with minimal cap flexibility or are forced to trade better/younger players. There are a lot of ways people get canned and it's mostly about being irresponsible and making poor decisions. That goes both ways along the safety/risk spectrum. Some bets really aren't as safe as they're believed to be. There may be a middle ground with Oshie for both sides but in all likelihood this will be his last big contract. I certainly wouldn't hold it against him if he cashed out in UFA. And, yes, the Caps will survive if that happens. No, it's not certain BAD THINGS WILL HAPPEN. They survived letting Ribeiro go and they'd survive letting Oshie go. Vrana isn't Kuznetsov barring a breakout year but he can be serviceable with stable play around him (or better). Iginla and Sharp come to mind immediately as two veteran options with less term required that would be in the Williams mold (if not Williams himself). And there will be others. There always are. This is not some do-or-die player.

I get it. Fans get attached to players but GMs can't operate that way to the point where judgement is clouded. It's about what's best for the organization and re-signing Oshie may not be realistic (or necessarily smart). Generally I'd concentrate more on retaining and acquiring elite to prime players than retaining older ones on the downside. Today's game is more about the former than the later than ever.

Again, I don't think it would be the worst thing if they take a step back at some point and focus more on skill development across the board. If that comes with lowered expectations for a season so be it. I'm not saying next season will be that year, or that they have the right people in place to try it necessarily, but I don't think it would be a disaster. Mowing down teams in the regular season gets kind of stale when they learn nothing from it (or arguably learn the wrong things because of it). Some adversity and more youth being relied upon wouldn't be the worst thing. It's easy for me to say but if they're truly an elite organization then it should be manageable. Elite franchise across all sports do this at times when prudence dictates it and the idea of it need not be so terrifying because it's not truly about any one player.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
There's really no evidence to support he's a late bloomer. His even strength point production was much lower this past season than when he was with St. Louis (except for his injury-riddled 2012-13) and he arguably had better linemates in Washington than in St. Louis. As has been discussed many times, his production was boosted primarily by the power play. And while he played his role on the power play really nicely, so did Troy Brouwer, Joel Ward, Justin Williams, etc. It's a role that likely someone else could fill close to as well as Oshie has for much cheaper.

While he had a great playoffs this past season, there's no reason to believe that's going to be the norm going forward rather than just a hot 12 game sample especially given his lack of production in playoffs past. Would you be willing to give him the contract mentioned if he had a poor, or even a lukewarm postseason?

We are willing to give Kuz whatever he wants after a poor postseason. So that doesn't fly w me. By any eye test, Oshie is a far more skilled player than Ward or Brouwer. Williams is equally skilled (in different ways), but is far older.

Look at the comparables posted by Hivemind. Oshie is worth close to 6m.

It seems your stance is to constantly remove players a few years before they might decline. You can do that in football, you can't in hockey. There aren't enough players that can make a difference coming into the franchise's talent pool each year. Oshie has at 3 good/great years in him. Perhaps more. I'd be shocked if it was less.

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002

Who is the 3rd strong center? Some in here want to protect 4 dmen. So that means we keep 2 C's, Ovy, and?

And are we also already anointing Eller "strong C #3"?

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Even a five year deal (let alone the six or seven it will likely take to sign him) would make Oshie the Capital with the most term remaining on his contract, beating out Niskanen and Ovechkin by one year. Granted, Kuznetsov will likely receive a deal that keeps him around even longer. Either way, such a commitment to Oshie at that term and at the AAV level he will command is signaling that he's a core piece of the puzzle. I just don't know if he's done enough to warrant that commitment. So far he's looked more like a cog than an engine.

How long are we going to try and ensure that no one has a contract beyond Ovechkin? Why does that even matter? Alzner should pass it, as should Kuznetsov. Why shouldn't Oshie?

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
We are willing to give Kuz whatever he wants after a poor postseason. So that doesn't fly w me. By any eye test, Oshie is a far more skilled player than Ward or Brouwer. Williams is equally skilled (in different ways), but is far older.

Look at the comparables posted by Hivemind. Oshie is worth close to 6m.

It seems your stance is to constantly remove players a few years before they might decline. You can do that in football, you can't in hockey. There aren't enough players that can make a difference coming into the franchise's talent pool each year. Oshie has at 3 good/great years in him. Perhaps more. I'd be shocked if it was less.

Oshie being worth $6M on the open market is not the same as Oshie being worth $6M to the Capitals especially given all of the contracts expiring at the end of this season.

Kuznetsov is younger and produced at much higher rates at even strength during the season and was the leading scorer on the team despite not being on the first power play unit. Yes he had a slump during the playoffs but I'm not convinced it was much more than a very poorly timed cold streak. If his slump continues into this season then it would be wise to consider a bridge deal rather than a long term deal, but I doubt he'll continue to struggle.

There is plenty of historical precedent showing forwards declining in their 30s. Very rarely do players buck this trend so unless there is a very compelling argument that Oshie is one of these players, I'm against paying Oshie the contract you described because it will hamstring the team's effort to re-sign more important players.

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
This is Orlov's last year here one way or the other. I'm fine with that and I've been one of his biggest supporters. And I'd sure as hell sign/protect TJ and dump someone else (like Mojo) if necessary. Oshie is a great Top6 here.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
If Orlov has a great season I could see the Capitals protecting him over Johansson, Wilson, Beagle, Eller, etc.

The only 4 forwards who for sure will be protected at this point are Ovechkin, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky. Oshie and Williams will be UFAs so they might not be protected. Johansson likely is done with his development at this point and I could see him being exposed if he can't provide offense at even strength. Wilson, if he doesn't show much offensive growth, isn't worth protecting over a good top 4 D. Beagle is a great 4C but again, those aren't as rare as a good top 4 D. And Eller is a wild card right now since I don't think anyone knows what to expect after some tumultuous years in Montreal.

It's still very early and I'd guess Orlov will be exposed, but it wouldn't shock me to see him have a great season and be protected as part of the 8 skaters + 1 goalie scheme rather than the 7 forwards, 3 defensemen, and 1 goalie scheme.

The Orlov having a great season part of this aside, you are saying that to protect Orlov the Caps will be willing to protect only 9 players instead of 11. That they are willing to protect only 4 forwards.

I think you are completely missing the likely reality of the roster. Oshie is going to be extended just as Alzner will be well before the UFA market opens. If Williams is pacing for 20 again, I would not be shocked to find him extended as well. Both of those players are not going to be replaced by Burt and Vrana and if the Caps wait til after the expansion draft to try and sign those players, they will just go ahead and let the open market set the price.

4 forwards rather than 7 makes very little sense. Oshie and Williams could easily account for 50 or more goals this season. Oshie had his best playoffs as Caps and Williams is a playoff influence the Caps need to keep. Keeping Orlov instead of losing both Oshie and Williams to free agency AND another roster player to the expansion draft just isn't a good trade.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Kuznetsov is younger and produced at much higher rates at even strength during the season and was the leading scorer on the team despite not being on the first power play unit. Yes he had a slump during the playoffs but I'm not convinced it was much more than a very poorly timed cold streak. .

The producing at a higher level than Oshie part. How did that hold up in the playoffs?
The playoffs are the games that matter most. Yes?

That cold streak was nearly half a season in lenth. It was longer than 30 games. I am willing to forgive that and expect that was a one time thing, but you don't just ditch your 2nd highest goal scorer and your playoff goal scoring leader like that.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
The producing at a higher level than Oshie part. How did that hold up in the playoffs?
The playoffs are the games that matter most. Yes?

That cold streak was nearly half a season in lenth. It was longer than 30 games. I am willing to forgive that and expect that was a one time thing, but you don't just ditch your 2nd highest goal scorer and your playoff goal scoring leader like that.

Relying on a single playoff performance to predict future performance leads to situations like the Dave Bolland and Bryan Bickell contracts (and Troy Brouwer's contract with the Flames I bet will be seen as a mistake very shortly). I'm not saying Oshie is nearly as bad as those players, but a more measured approach needs to be taken rather than reacting to a short sample of games when potentially handing out huge contracts. Take away Oshie's power play production and he didn't have a great season last year. A big contract IMO requires consistent even strength production.

And Kuznetsov's goal scoring dried up during the last quarter of the regular season but he was still getting assists (11 in his final 20 games). I'm not worried about him at all because he is at an age and experience level where he will likely continue to grow as a player, while Oshie is realistically on the downslope of his career in all probability.

All of that said, I'd love to have Oshie back if his demands are reasonable from the team's perspective.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
The Orlov having a great season part of this aside, you are saying that to protect Orlov the Caps will be willing to protect only 9 players instead of 11. That they are willing to protect only 4 forwards.

I think you are completely missing the likely reality of the roster. Oshie is going to be extended just as Alzner will be well before the UFA market opens. If Williams is pacing for 20 again, I would not be shocked to find him extended as well. Both of those players are not going to be replaced by Burt and Vrana and if the Caps wait til after the expansion draft to try and sign those players, they will just go ahead and let the open market set the price.

4 forwards rather than 7 makes very little sense. Oshie and Williams could easily account for 50 or more goals this season. Oshie had his best playoffs as Caps and Williams is a playoff influence the Caps need to keep. Keeping Orlov instead of losing both Oshie and Williams to free agency AND another roster player to the expansion draft just isn't a good trade.

As I mentioned it's an unlikely scenario IMO, but I could see it happening. If Williams' production slides due to age, if Oshie's contract demands end up being too much (his re-signing is far from a given despite another patented txpd absolute statement), and Orlov really solidifies a top 4 role it might be worth it to consider protecting him even if it means exposing more forwards.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
As I mentioned it's an unlikely scenario IMO, but I could see it happening. If Williams' production slides due to age, if Oshie's contract demands end up being too much (his re-signing is far from a given despite another patented txpd absolute statement), and Orlov really solidifies a top 4 role it might be worth it to consider protecting him even if it means exposing more forwards.

A far more likely scenario is Oshie gets extended and Orlov plays next year in Vegas.

I've said all along, I want McPhee to take Grubauer. Maybe he will have a terrific year backing Holts, and we get lucky.

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
I would rather keep Oshie then Orlov. I would be mad. But if Oshie has a similar year i think he stays. As for Orlov, he will probably be in Vegas next year. This to me was a prove it deal. If he doesn't show improvement he is gone and if he improves a little then i still see him leaving based on money. I just can't see Orlov making that big of a jump to the next level to the point where he stays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad