Confirmed with Link: Orlov signs 1 year 2.57 mil

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
As Langway mentioned in the other thread, it seems like the contract amount was constructed so that Zach Sanford ($875k) or Jakub Vrana ($863k) can fit in under the cap. They currently have $884k in cap space after the Orlov deal so they would literally be $9k under the cap if they go with Sanford. $2.57M seems like a weird amount unless they did the math for one of those two players being able to bit under the cap.

Also Isabelle let out a few pieces of info. She mentioned that Orlov opted not to go to arbitration probably because he wanted a 1 year deal. If he elected for arbitration, the Capitals would have been able to select the term (1 or 2 years). She also mentioned that Orlov's camp was more interested in his role going forward being increased, rather than term or money being the sticking point of the negotiations (at least for this season, since I imagine a bigger role = bigger contract for next season).

Last edited:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Solid deal for the Capitals. Barely a raise over his $2.25M salary last year. Bright side for Orlov is it sets him up for (presumably) a bigger payday next year.

Wonder if Orlov's lack of contract next season increases the odds Grubauer is the expansion draft selection. Still likely a lesser factor than what ends up happening to Bishop and Fleury, but difficulties is signing Orlov in Vegas could scare off McPhee.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Thank goodness. I want to see Orlov improve this season and earn a real raise, but I (and obviously GMBM) wasn't willing to give him the raise now.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Other than Tom Wilson developing into Wayne Simmonds or Milan Lucic, there's no single player on the roster who could have the impact that Orlov could have this year. If he can take that next step and lock down the 2LD spot the Caps will be sitting pretty.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
My god - how many free agents will the caps have after this year? Seems like a ton, yeah? Oshie, Kuzy, Alzner, Orlov, etc? Who else?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Other than Tom Wilson developing into Wayne Simmonds or Milan Lucic, there's no single player on the roster who could have the impact that Orlov could have this year. If he can take that next step and lock down the 2LD spot the Caps will be sitting pretty.

I think Burakosvky evolving into a 30G scorer could be in a similar level of impact.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Please God let Burakovsky show up to camp looking like a man and not Elliot from ET.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
One more year of Orlov Love.

I hope he starts hitting. Certainly not hitting much at all last year, didn't help him defensively. The refined modern day non physical defense is not his cup of vodka - so what does he have to lose?

Hit guys as they come in on the rush, and try to never let himself get pinned in from the start. To hell with on your heels let em in D; practice the playoff style Barry preaches instead.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I think Burakosvky evolving into a 30G scorer could be in a similar level of impact.

And a heck of a better chance of that happening than Wilson becoming a Lucic or Simmonds caliber player next season IMO...

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
One more year of Orlov Love.

I hope he starts hitting. Certainly not hitting much at all last year, didn't help him defensively. The refined modern day non physical defense is not his cup of vodka - so what does he have to lose?

Hit guys as they come in on the rush, and try to never let himself get pinned in from the start. To hell with on your heels let em in D; practice the playoff style Barry preaches instead.

That would be great if it's combined with better decision making.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
If I had to rank the problems with Orlov's game, I'd put hitting near the bottom. On a hits per/60 basis here are the Capitals leaders:

1. Orpik
2. Orlov
3. Niskanen
4. Alzner
5. Chorney
6. Schmidt
7. Carlson

And anecdotally Orlov seems to throw some of the biggest open ice hits, especially hip-checks. I'd much rather he focus on positioning, awareness, and decision-making with and without the puck than hitting. Besides, if you're hitting it means you don't have the puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad