Origins of Hockey - A Cornucopia from the 16th~19th Centuries in the US & Canada

James Laverance

Feb 12, 2013
...Indeed, going back to the 1500's, the Thames freeze up's resulted in annual ice fairs, winter carnivals called "Frost Fairs", skating, "bear baiting" - whatever that is - gambling, you name it... very likely the most rudimentary forms of "shinney" or hockey with stick and ball, stick and bung or "puck" played, some old lithographs and paintings depicting such, and even long before The Little Ace Age when the Thames did freeze over....

Very Interesting...It would be great to see any references or sources explaining the game in that time period.I would imagine that in England Bandy(As it was called over there) was played on bone skates of some kind during that era.Also in other European countries such as Denmark, France, Russia, Scandinavia etc.

Reactions: KingTrouty

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Very Interesting...It would be great to see any references or sources explaining the game in that time period.I would imagine that in England Bandy(As it was called over there) was played on bone skates of some kind during that era.Also in other European countries such as Denmark, France, Russia, Scandinavia etc.

Well.... going back, and I mean waaaaaaaaaaay way back, its believed England was connected to the European continent as your likely aware down around the southern end to France, Normandy, all the way up to the Netherlands, western Germany & the peninsula of Jutland; the English Channel didnt exist, extensive marshes & flat lands, major rivers & tributaries which was a major form of transportation. Believed the Rhine & the Thames, other major European & Scandinavian rivers all interconnected & part of a sort of "super highway" bringing people & cultures together. This area of land that is now under the English Channel & North Sea called Doggerland.

As human & Neanderthal migration would have been east to west, north to south, from frozen climes where winter travel the norm, bone & antler skates, rivers freezing, settlements alongside & in some cases built on stilts above waterways... how big a stretch is it to think, to not imagine children & adults alike playing "shinny" during the long winter months? Its a game as natural as walking, breathing.... Then you had the Saxons arriving... from nordic countries & colder climes... so sure, I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that if we were to go back in time thousands of years, we'd see people on ice (and wearing skates in some instances) playing a game we'd recognize as being shinny.....

Cant prove it of course, pure conjecture, speculation but then, I'm told the Van Allen Radiation Belt exists, havent seen that with my own eyes, told its beyond lethal, impossible for the humans in the flimsy little Apollo capsules to have survived it & made it to the Moon... landed... came back through it.... Humans vs Neanderthals in a game of p/up seems a lot more plausible than 3 guys strapped to what was essentially a vintage WW2 Nazi designed V2 rocket, surviving the Van Allen (TWICE mind you)... coming back with a bunch of rocks that have mysteriously disappeared ... & of course... strange tales from Stanley Kubricks Widow... about the multi=purpose use of a sound stage in London & 2001; A Space Odyssey... happenings, film crews out in the Nevada desert near Groom Lake & Area 51 & so on & so on...

See, the truth is out there James... we just have to keep looking for it. Digging. Might not like what we find... but then... always been a fan of Charlton Heston... Planet of the Apes.... Just laugh at those who think a warnings gonna scare me.

James Laverance

Feb 12, 2013
This is the oldest reference to an indoor hockey game I've seen so far.

"In the course of 1851-2 was erected that most useful of institutions, the Ambulacrum, the large covered playground which is used in wet weather."
800px-Stonyhurst_Ambulacrum.jpg

"When the Ambulacrum was first opened, the Higher Line used it for Bandy,1 their juniors, who it was thought could not be trusted with such lethal weapons as bandy-sticks, being confined to football. After some years the seniors also adopted football, which was played in the main on the usual Stonyhurst principles, but with adaptations to its environment which procured it, as a distinct variety, the title of " Ambulacrum football." Bandy has from time to time revived, sometimes in the playground, more frequently in the Dark Walk. It was in great favour just previous to the introduction of Association, but has utterly disappeared ever since."
Stonyhurst College, Its Life Beyond the Seas, 1592-1794 and on English Soil, 1794-1894

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Inspiration for many variations(as many as there are facilities) for indoor hockey on a wooden or cement surface. Very revealing about the mid 19th century mindset about youth athletics.

James Laverance

Feb 12, 2013
Inspiration for many variations(as many as there are facilities) for indoor hockey on a wooden or cement surface. Very revealing about the mid 19th century mindset about youth athletics.
Thanks Canadiens1958.I thought it may have been used in the winter though only on wet ground but without the skates.Making the first indoor Ice-Hockey Game later on into the century.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ Fabulous old litho's & interesting links James... Thanks for sharing, posting these.... I remember the Granite Club in Toronto, located in the Yonge & St. Clair area, then in the early 70's moving north a bit to Bayview Avenue, between Lawrence & Bayview not far from where I grew up & went to school, remember it being built. Very much an upper middle class / upper class "by invitation only" establishment even back 125yrs ago, the players on their sponsored hockey teams all the sons of wealthy scions, Captains of Industry & Law Firms, Bankers & so on....

I recognize a few names in a couple of those old photos you posted earlier & at least a couple (if not more) went on to cut quite the swaths in legal, financial & political circles. Those were the sons of the wealthy & powerful, the landed gentry, as were many in the photo of the Osgoode Hockey Team, Osgoode Hall the preeminent law school in Canada then (along with McGill) as now. Those photo's tell one much of hockeys early years, that it was a "gentlemans game" played primarily by the sons of the wealthy, at private schools, universities.... and huge resistance to the "corruption of the game" that professionalism represented to those who oversaw the sport in Toronto during its formative years.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Very cool... Like the reporting.... in one sarcastic bit... "Drinkwater apparently no interest in stopping it". :laugh:

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Only Max Hornfeck on that NYAC team was American (from New Jersey), the rest Canadians. 'Howard' on the NYAC is Tom "Atty" Howard who won a Stanley Cup with the Winnipeg Victorias in 1896. The rest are Ed O'Donnell (from Kingston), Bob Hunt and Jim Fenwick (Montreal), G. Baird and Fred Cobb.

'Howard' on the McGill team is Rupert Howard. It's interesting the report says he's a cousin of Tom Howard, I've never read that before anywhere else, and wonder if it's true. They kinda look a bit similar when I think about it...

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ Merged all of these disparate threads from the 16th through 19th centuries, condensed, one stop shopping for some fascinating portraits & articles, window into the origins of the game in the US & Canada before the more modern & organized era.....

Thanks James..... always interesting & much appreciated. :thumbu:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ Wow. Look at the getup on the goalies, that one on the left even wearing white skates or perhaps booties... even their sticks painted white. I cant decide if they look like the Attendants or the Inmates of a 19th Century Sanitarium for the Clinically Insane.... Thats sumthin else.... Very interesting find.

James Laverance

Feb 12, 2013
Indiana Shinny in 1869.

"My sixteenth term of school was taught the winter of 1869-70, at the Lewis Jones school house, the same place I taught last summer. This was a four months' term, and there were about fifty pupils enrolled. We had a very nice time. This was a very cold winter, yet my school kept up very well. This was the last of my teaching in Indiana. I had to whip some during this term. There are generally some rude boys attend school in winter, who do not attend in summer; and it is always or generally a little more difficult to teach in winter than in summer. I am one of those teachers who believe in using the rod. The wise man said: "Spare the rod and spoil the child." There was a very large pond near the school house, which was frozen over nearly all winter; we had a fine time playing "shinny," base and foot-ball. I enjoyed playing as much as any of the scholars."
A Teacher's Ups and Downs from 1858 to 1879

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
This could be Harvard's earliest hockey photo from the late 1800's.
full

Vintage Late 1800's Harvard University Ice Hockey Team Photo James Notman Studio | eBay

Not positive on the exact date here but the photo above is more in the 1920s-ish range. If you look in The H Book of Harvard Athletics 1852 1922 from page 555 and onwards there are a lot of team photos from 1900 to 1922. I’ll provide you a link to the book here:

The H Book Of Harvard Athletics 1852 1922 : John A Blanchard : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

The photo below is the oldest Harvard team photo I’ve come across, from 1899–1900. You can see two of the players, William Laverack and Roger Hardy, wearing football sweaters.

original.jpg

Last edited:

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
This could be Harvard's earliest hockey photo from the late 1800's.
full

Vintage Late 1800's Harvard University Ice Hockey Team Photo James Notman Studio | eBay

Additional details. James Notman was the brother of famous Montreal photographer William Notman whose work is archived at the McCord Museum. James had his own studio in Boston. His workis available thru the archives of various Boston area museums.

Lacrosse on ice - lacrosse ball suggested by the goalies body armour.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
^^^ Fabulous old litho's & interesting links James... Thanks for sharing, posting these.... I remember the Granite Club in Toronto, located in the Yonge & St. Clair area, then in the early 70's moving north a bit to Bayview Avenue, between Lawrence & Bayview not far from where I grew up & went to school, remember it being built. Very much an upper middle class / upper class "by invitation only" establishment even back 125yrs ago, the players on their sponsored hockey teams all the sons of wealthy scions, Captains of Industry & Law Firms, Bankers & so on....

I recognize a few names in a couple of those old photos you posted earlier & at least a couple (if not more) went on to cut quite the swaths in legal, financial & political circles. Those were the sons of the wealthy & powerful, the landed gentry, as were many in the photo of the Osgoode Hockey Team, Osgoode Hall the preeminent law school in Canada then (along with McGill) as now. Those photo's tell one much of hockeys early years, that it was a "gentlemans game" played primarily by the sons of the wealthy, at private schools, universities.... and huge resistance to the "corruption of the game" that professionalism represented to those who oversaw the sport in Toronto during its formative years.

I didn't grow up in Toronto but I lived close to Lawrence and Bayview for many years. Lot of Leafs have lived around there too - Mogilny in the BP, Domi up off of York Mills, etc. I used to see Gilmour at the Dominion store at York Mills Plaza.

Reactions: Killion

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I didn't grow up in Toronto but I lived close to Lawrence and Bayview for many years. Lot of Leafs have lived around there too - Mogilny in the BP, Domi up off of York Mills, etc. I used to see Gilmour at the Dominion store at York Mills Plaza.

Oh yes? That was after my time in that area, growing up just north of York Mills in between Bayview & Yonge. Remember York Mills plaza well, the Dominion & a small hardware store that sold Wally Hockey Sticks in a barrel out front. Like $1.99 (or less) each so cheap, local supply for shinny on the schoolyard rink or driveway. Those old Wally's.... practically akin to taking a jigsaw to a piece of ash & making it yourself. Very rudimentary, bargain basement for sure but for hacking around did the trick. All straight blades of course.

Had to laugh years ago when I read that the notoriously penurious Eddie Shore used to order them wholesale for his Springfield Indians as did a few other minor pro teams. If you wanted to use a responsive, decent stick like a CCM, Victoriaville, Northland or whatever, you'd be digging into your own jeans for them.... But yes, great area, and great place to grow up. I remember when it was all mostly fields east of Bayview south of York Mills, northern side of York Mills east of YM High School, EP Taylor who lived on the Bridle Path keeping some of his thoroughbreds there including Norther Dancer for awhile. Entire area today though almost unrecognizable.

James Laverance

Feb 12, 2013
Mi’kmaw Hockey History

I've come across some interesting articles on early Mi'kmaw hockey history and how it influenced modern day Ice-Hockey.

In the first article it states that the oldest hockey stick was made in between 1633-66 and to be said that hockey was played by the micmac before Jacques Cartier first set foot on North American soil in 1534.
According to Deborah Guinish, acting
Artifact kindles debate on origins of hockey - Yukon News

An excerpt out of the second article.

“Old Joe Cope, a much respected and multi
talented Mi’kmaw Elder, was a boxer, musi-
cian, and hockey stick carver. As an historian
of the Mi’kmaw Nation, he traveled from
village to village keeping in touch with the life
of the Mi’kmaq. In 1943, when he happened
to read that people in Kingston, Ontario
were claiming that they were the birthplace of
hockey, he wrote this message to the Halifax
Herald from his home in Millbrook:
“Long before the pale faces strayed to this
country, the Micmacs were playing two ball
games, a fi eld game and an ice game.”
(The Puck Starts Here: The Origin of Canada’s Great
Winter Game: Ice Hockey by Garth Vaughan.)
“Old Joe” set the record straight.
Long before the Europeans arrived, Native
craftsmen were making their own “hockey”
sticks for their traditional game of Ooch-
amadyk. Later, they gave the name of
Alchamadytk to the European game of
“Hurley on Ice” which later became known
as “Hockey.Mi’kmaq also crafted the first form of ice
skate. The skates were made of long bones
shaped and sharpened into a rough “blade”
and strapped to the foot with leather laces.
The early ice hockey sticks were carved
from Hornbeam trees that are native to
Nova Scotia. One of the tools the Mi’kmaq
used to carve the sticks was known as a
“crooked knife.” Hornbeam is also known
as ‘ironwood’ and ‘stinkwood’ because of
the unpleasant smell it gives off when it is
cut. Hornbeam was such a popular wood for
hockey sticks that eventually local supplies
began to disappear and the Mi’kmaq began
to use Yellow Birch instead.
These hand-carved ice hockey sticks were
shipped across Canada for decades, ever
since the 1870s when Montreal athletes fi rst
took up the Nova Scotia winter game of
hockey. The first games between Queen’s
University and the Royal Military College in
Kingston in 1886 were played with Mi’kmaw
hockey sticks from Nova Scotia."

Also some books from the 19th century discussing micmac skating and hockey.
Douglas Jerrold's Shilling Magazine
Legends of the Micmacs

Attachments

• Chapter 7.pdf
    733.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Oh yes? That was after my time in that area, growing up just north of York Mills in between Bayview & Yonge. Remember York Mills plaza well, the Dominion & a small hardware store that sold Wally Hockey Sticks in a barrel out front. Like $1.99 (or less) each so cheap, local supply for shinny on the schoolyard rink or driveway. Those old Wally's.... practically akin to taking a jigsaw to a piece of ash & making it yourself. Very rudimentary, bargain basement for sure but for hacking around did the trick. All straight blades of course.

Had to laugh years ago when I read that the notoriously penurious Eddie Shore used to order them wholesale for his Springfield Indians as did a few other minor pro teams. If you wanted to use a responsive, decent stick like a CCM, Victoriaville, Northland or whatever, you'd be digging into your own jeans for them.... But yes, great area, and great place to grow up. I remember when it was all mostly fields east of Bayview south of York Mills, northern side of York Mills east of YM High School, EP Taylor who lived on the Bridle Path keeping some of his thoroughbreds there including Norther Dancer for awhile. Entire area today though almost unrecognizable.

Beautiful neighbourhood, you're lucky to have grown up there.

"Windfields", some of that area (east of Bayview) was called. Was that the farm's name?

Last edited:

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
In the first article it states that the oldest hockey stick was made in between 1633-66

The article also doesn't hide that this very claim is subject to contestation. And the contestation, courtesy of Brian Logie, happens to be logically watertight:

Noting that while the wood may be 350 years old, he [=Brian Logie] doubts that it represents the age of the stick's actual carving.

Since the stick apparently wasn't found & documented in situ...

Rouillard, whose father is a prominent Quebec City antique dealer, recently bought the stick from a nearby collector

...there is no way to tell whether it was carved in the 17th century or in the 19th century or in 2008 AD (when the claim was brought forward).

In the light of this circumstance, the following claim...

According to Rouillard, his stick proves that hockey was already being played by the Mi’kmaq when French explorer Jacques Cartier first set foot on North American soil in 1574.

...remains hot air until further evidence is presented.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->