Speculation: O'Reilly Mega Thread - ALL ROR Speculation Here

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
Wonder how he would look with Gaudreau on his line. Maybe push Monahan to RW.

The general consensus around here seems to be that Buffalo would want Hamilton for ROR and Calgary isn’t interested. Not sure there’s a deal to be made.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
The Sabres aren’t getting better by making stupid culture trades.

But they might by making sensible 'hockey' trades. Especially if the GM is hell bent on using yet another high pick on a forward.

No amount of 'bottom 4' types will fix what is wrong with our blue line. And it would be foolish to expect us to get so lucky again with a repeat of the Scandella deal.

I wouldn't want to lose Reinhart - let alone a far more valuable player in ROR in a vacuum - but it might be necesaary to move forward in the long run.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
There's a good chance that while most of the fanbase wants to rebuild our GM will try to save his job and mortgage the future for win now

Any interest in Habs 4OA + another mid 1st if we can get one? Or just looking for players that can jump in to help now

It's a premium over what Stepan got so value is there I think, just if Sabres want to play the waiting game another year or 2

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
But they might by making sensible 'hockey' trades. Especially if the GM is hell bent on using yet another high pick on a forward.

No amount of 'bottom 4' types will fix what is wrong with our blue line. And it would be foolish to expect us to get so lucky again with a repeat of the Scandella deal.

I wouldn't want to lose Reinhart - let alone a far more valuable player in ROR in a vacuum - but it might be necesaary to move forward in the long run.

How's Hall for Larsson working out for Edmonton again?

Reactions: MATTHEWSisGretzky

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Der Jaeger just proposed something on our board involving Montreal.

Would MTL fans be open to the following?

ROR+2019 2nd for MTL 2018 1st (assuming picking 5-6 for example), MTL 2018 2nd and Ryan Poehling

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Curious if there’s a 3way trade that could work.
Montreal trades Pacioretty, receives ROR
Buffalo trades ROR, receives XXX
??? trades XXX receives Pacioretty

Anyone have any good ideas

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario

Habs would have to add, and Carolina would be interesting. They need a first line winger, have young Dmen. Buffalo needs young Dmen, has centers. Habs need centers and have wingers. But again habs are without a doubt adding to patches in this scenario.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY

I don't see any plausible scenario that includes Pacioretty and returns O'Reilly. Pacioretty certainly wouldn't be a target for Buffalo given age and more importantly lack of term on his deal. The only piece I see that would be appealing enough to Buffalo to consider trading O'Reilly would be Montreal's 1st round pick. You aren't getting a 1st line center in his prime locked up for multiple years in any deal centered around a rental Pacioretty.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Habs would have to add, and Carolina would be interesting. They need a first line winger, have young Dmen. Buffalo needs young Dmen, has centers. Habs need centers and have wingers. But again habs are without a doubt adding to patches in this scenario.

Why would Carolina just not deal with Buffalo directly if the Canes are presumably giving up the centerpiece that lands O'Reilly? Compared to Pacioretty, O'Reilly is younger, is coming off of a better season, plays the more valuable position and given the ability for Buffalo to do a backdoor RS trade because of his bonus, has the substantially more attractive contractual situation.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Why would Carolina just not deal with Buffalo directly if the Canes are presumably giving up the centerpiece that lands O'Reilly? Compared to Pacioretty, O'Reilly is younger, is coming off of a better season, plays the more valuable position and given the ability for Buffalo to do a backdoor RS trade because of his bonus, has the substantially more attractive contractual situation.

Carolina doesn't need to give up as much if they acquire patches, and they need wingers more now that they seem to have their center issues dealt with. So the Habs Carolina trade would be based around patches for a young Dman and the trade with the sabres would be based around Dman from Carolina+ something from have for ROR

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
11 OV 2018, 5 OV 2018, 2018 2nd round pick to Buffalo (for ROR)

Pre-extended Patches to Carolina (for 11 OV, McKeown)

ROR, McKeown to Montreal (for Patches, 5 OV, 2018 2nd round pick)

Balance it with secondary pieces where needed. Buffalo essentially restarts the rebuild to some extend but picks 1-4, 6 and 11 will do this fairly quickly in a stacked draft. Carolina gets a good winger for futures, Montreal gets a player they badly need down the middle. It is not my ideal ROR trade as Id rather get a younger NHL ready impact player than 11 OV but still its a decent return for a player that arguably doesnt fit our window anynore even though hes a key piece right now.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012

I think a fair trade could be made, but it wouldn't be Patches or ROR.

To Montreal
Reinhart

To Buffalo
Hanifin

To Carolina
Galchenyuk
Montreal's 2nd or 3rd?

Penaltykiller17

Apr 21, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Carolina’s good on the LW, and no way do they give up a lottery pick for a 30yr old. Carolina is extremely weak down the middle.

Rask/Bean/1st for ROR is the offer. They’d get a 3rd line center at a decent price, young LD prospect, and a lottery pick.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
I think a fair trade could be made, but it wouldn't be Patches or ROR.

To Montreal
Reinhart

To Buffalo
Hanifin

To Carolina
Galchenyuk
Montreal's 2nd or 3rd?

No. That undervalues Hanifin who has shown as much as Jones had at the time of the RyJo trade and should return at-least an established low-end 1C or a better top-line wing.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
11 OV 2018, 5 OV 2018, 2018 2nd round pick to Buffalo (for ROR)

Pre-extended Patches to Carolina (for 11 OV, McKeown)

ROR, McKeown to Montreal (for Patches, 5 OV, 2018 2nd round pick)

Balance it with secondary pieces where needed. Buffalo essentially restarts the rebuild to some extend but picks 1-4, 6 and 11 will do this fairly quickly in a stacked draft. Carolina gets a good winger for futures, Montreal gets a player they badly need down the middle. It is not my ideal ROR trade as Id rather get a younger NHL ready impact player than 11 OV but still its a decent return for a player that arguably doesnt fit our window anynore even though hes a key piece right now.

Why is Patches extending just to be traded to Carolina? Seems like there's almost no chance of that happening.

Carolina's bigger need is at C, thus IMO, they'd go after ROR way before Patches.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
Carolina’s good on the LW, and no way do they give up a lottery pick for a 30yr old. Carolina is extremely weak down the middle.

Rask/Bean/1st for ROR is the offer. They’d get a 3rd line center at a decent price, young LD prospect, and a lottery pick.

IF Buffalo decides to go into another mini rebuild, and trade ROR, maybe something can be worked out. The problem with your offer is I don't think Carolina will trade that without knowing what it is and Buffalo wouldn't trade O'Reilly without knowing either.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
IF Buffalo decides to go into another mini rebuild, and trade ROR, maybe something can be worked out. The problem with your offer is I don't think Carolina will trade that without knowing what it is and Buffalo wouldn't trade O'Reilly without knowing either.

Buffalo wouldn’t make the trade without knowing the pick? Insinuating that ROR is worth a top-3 pick? Plus?

I’m not sure any team is moving a top-3 pick for ROR. Dahlin and Svechnikov will be better NHLers than ROR as soon as next year. On ELCs with guaranteed team control for 7 years.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY

Not enticing in the least. Bean has underwhelmed since he was drafted and Rask has very little if any worth at this point given the poor year he's coming off of. The 11th or 12th overall pick is the best asset coming back and that's not nearly enough.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Not enticing in the least. Bean has underwhelmed since he was drafted and Rask has very little if any worth at this point given the poor year he's coming off of. The 11th or 12th overall pick is the best asset coming back and that's not nearly enough.

Yeah Bean just hasn't been getting it done. I think the CHL did a piece on him, let me find it:

Just sitting there alone at the top of the WHL/CHL in defensive Playoff production. Tragic.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
Buffalo wouldn’t make the trade without knowing the pick? Insinuating that ROR is worth a top-3 pick? Plus?

I’m not sure any team is moving a top-3 pick for ROR. Dahlin and Svechnikov will be better NHLers than ROR as soon as next year. On ELCs with guaranteed team control for 7 years.

Well I don't see the Sabres trading ROR for a 2nd/3rd line center, the 11th pick, and a prospect defenceman that probably won't play at the NHL level for at least another year.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Wow he had a good week and a good playoffs guess that makes up for 2 subpar regular seasons.

Sanheim puts up a ppg D+1 season for Calgary Hitmen in 2015 = Hype machine future #1
Bean puts up a ppg D+1 season for Calgary Hitmen in 2017 = Sub-Par

Does an incredible Playoff (compared to All Current Canadian Junior D) run outweigh an at- par season? I don't see why not.

Do you actually follow Bean enough to even understand why the comparables might be important? I don't see why you would unless you were a Canes/Hitmen/Tri-City fan. Which is why I find you saying he has "underwhelmed" a bit disingenuous.

I just think the perception of Bean is pretty interesting. Seems to be a lot of double standards when it comes to smaller market prospects. The lack of exposure and interest leads to an echo chamber fraught with ignorance.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Habs don't give 4OA for ROR. No chance in hell.

I'd give Pacioretty, Juulsen/Mete and an early 2nd (Habs or Chi).

If Buffalo are not interested in extentionning Patches, they still can trade him at the deadline for a 1st and a prospect.

Not sure it makes sense for Buffalo but i personnaly don't trade a top 5 pick for ROR.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Sanheim puts up a ppg D+1 season for Calgary Hitmen in 2015 = Hype machine future #1
Bean puts up a ppg D+1 season for Calgary Hitmen in 2017 = Sub-Par

Does an incredible Playoff (compared to All Current Canadian Junior D) run outweigh an at- par season? I don't see why not.

I just think the perception of Bean is pretty interesting. Seems to be a lot of double standards when it comes to smaller market players.

I think Bean is not a blue chip prospect but still a pretty good one with high ceiling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->