Line Combos: Optimal Playoff Lines/Lineup & Why?

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Here are my optimal playoff lineups for our team.

Forwards:

Ovehckin------Backstrom----Wilson

The perfect combination of skill and size. Splitting Ovi and Kuzya will allow us to create a headache for opposing defenses. I love the combo of Nicky/Ovi, as well as the x-factor on this line (Wilson), who will attack the net, forecheck like crazy, and play physical, creating space for the former two.

Vrana------Kuznetsov-----Oshie

Speed kills - with Jake and Kuzya - and Oshie is the perfect complement to the skill of the former two and can provide a net front presence that is willing to go into the dirty areas.

Burakovsky-----Eller-----Connolly

Eller and Conno are bank-ins for the third line and I'd like to give Bura a chance to shine in the top-nine (with more ice time), given his play the last few weeks.

Hagelin-----Dowd-----Boyd

Hagelin and Bura could be interchangeable (in this scenario), which would create a big skill mismatch on our fourth line for other teams. Hags on line four, with Dowd and Boyd, would provide a mix of speed, skill, and solid defensive play.

Extras:
DSP
Stephenson
Walker
Jaskin
Barber

It kind of sucks to not play DSP or Steve-O, but, I feel like it'd be very tough to put them in the lineup with the way that our forward group is playing. I suppose that if Bura, Dowd, and/or Boyd don't perform in the playoffs early on, DSP and/or Steve-O could be put into the lineup. I really like Steve-O's speed, but, he seems to have taken a step back this year in terms of offensive growth and playmaking ability - there's still talent and potential there, but, he needs to get back on track. DSP is DSP and he showed what he could do in the playoffs last year - I think that at some point he will get a sweater.

Defenders:

Orlov-----Niskanen

With the way this pair played last season and the way that they have finally put it together over the last few weeks, I think that it'd be very hard to split them up, as they can play as our shutdown pair.

Djoos-----Carlson

Djoos and Carlson have shown great chemistry at times over the past couple of seasons and have experience playing together. Kempny's injury and absence sucks, but, Djoos is a very capable and talented player. My only issue with this pairing would be whether or not Djoos would prevent Carlson from being so aggressive. This could be a scenario where Jensen could be a better fit for Carlson, allowing him to activate more.

Orpik-----Jensen

This pairing could be a very solid defensive pair in the playoffs and could be used in a lot of tough defensive zone deployments and situations. One issue with moving Jensen to play with Carlson would be that opposing teams could target Djoos - if he was playing with Orpik - and create a mismatch, due to Djoos' lack of physical strength/size and Orpik's lack of foot speed and acceleration.

Extras:
Siegenthaler
Lewington

Siegs has shown a lot of promise this season and I think that he will be on our roster next season, but, barring an injury, I don't see how he will crack this top-six, unless Djoos is really overmatched. I really do think that Siegs' game would translate very well to the playoffs, but, we will probably have to wait until next season to get a glimpse of that.

Goalies:

Holtby
Copley

No brainer here. Holtbeast will hopefully come out in the playoffs again and be a stud for us!

Thoughts?

Would love to see your guys' insight and ideas!

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
8-92-43
13-19-77
62-20-10
65-26-72

The 2 sets of guys I hate breaking up are Kuzy and Wilson, and Eller and Connolly. Wilson can deter the other team from taking liberties with Kuzy when he’s dangling or doing the bird dance, and Kuzy sees Wilson real well because he’s enormous and Oshies ability to post up doesn’t mesh as well with Kuzy who can see guys all over the ice. And Eller squeezing the puck works well win Connolly’s floating. Then I want Ovy with Kuzy because that’s your best center with your best player, then your 2nd line is your next 3 forwards, you think about flipping 62 and 13 but you want Hagelin gobbling PK minutes so then who’s your 10-12 forwards? Dowd has to be 4C so Eller or Backstrom don’t have to be on PK at all times. 4th line wingers are fluid but Bura and Boyd deserve to start the playoffs.

Haven’t made up my mind with the defense.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
8-19-43
13-92-77
62-20-10
65-26-72/25/18

9-2
29-74
44-3

Swap 29 and 44 in certain situations.

Give DSP a shot at some point when he is needed.

Do not put Carlson on his off side. The way they have shown no confidence in Djoos despite two seasons of success alongside Carlson is probably the lineup decision I am questioning most now. It’s like they’ve predetermined he can’t handle that role and ignored the real-world evidence to the contrary because it doesn’t match their assumption.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
8-19-43
13-92-77
62-20-10
65-26-72/25/18

9-2
29-74
44-3

Swap 29 and 44 in certain situations.

Give DSP a shot at some point when he is needed.

Do not put Carlson on his off side. The way they have shown no confidence in Djoos despite two seasons of success alongside Carlson is probably the lineup decision I am questioning most now. It’s like they’ve predetermined he can’t handle that role and ignored the real-world evidence to the contrary because it doesn’t match their assumption.

Pretty much this. I’d really like DSP to take the 4RW— but Boyd has produced too much to sit. And he can’t really play 4C, so...

I see DSP as first guy to play if injury. Or if bad game by Boyd (defensively)

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Pretty much this. I’d really like DSP to take the 4RW— but Boyd has produced too much to sit. And he can’t really play 4C, so...

I see DSP as first guy to play if injury. Or if bad game by Boyd (defensively)
I think it will depend on the opponent. Boyd doesn’t bring the same sandpaper that DSP does. That will be a factor.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Count me among those that believe last year's top six is the way to go. Kuznetsov isn't going to be shutting anyone down absent marked improvement and if he's going to dominate again it's probably with 8/43 making space for him.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I think at some point we'll see Kuz back with Ovi and Wilson. When everybody's at their best, that's the strongest offensive line, and Backstrom-Oshie probably the most reliable defensive duo. I'd guess Reirden is keeping this as his "momentum-change" card.

Can't touch the 3rd line right now, Hags-Eller-Conno have been possession monsters and you need every bit of that in playoffs. And the 4th line with Bura has looked pretty good, too. No need to change until you run into clear problems.

Defense -- I think it's fine in almost any configuration.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I guess TR tried all these combinations to have options. He can then try to outchess opponents with sudden change in combos back and forth depending on situation. Why the hell not.

It's what some here wanted from coaches for many years - to try line combinations in regular season. Now we have plenty of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad