OPS or 2-piece w/tapered shaft

crashlanding

Nov 29, 2005
Chicago
I'm looking to get one of these but after watching all of the sticks break in the NHL, I don't want to get one if it won't last much longer than the warranty. What worries me the most is the number of sticks that break on face-offs because I'm a centerman. What's the downside to going to a 2-piece with a tapered shaft, I've read they are similar performance wise?

Weight isn't too much of a problem, I mean I don't want something as heavy as a wooden stick, but my current shaft is about 300 grams not including a wooden blade. Also, do the 2-pieces last longer than the OPS?

redlighthockey

Sep 10, 2006
East Coast
I never noticed the difference between my synthesis and sl, or my 7k and rebok 2 piece. Go with what you like as you won't see much of a performance change. Also take into consideration, do you mostly brake blades or shafts? Some players have a tendency to break a lot of shafts, thus making the 2 piece pointless, and expensive.

crashlanding

Nov 29, 2005
Chicago
I never noticed the difference between my synthesis and sl, or my 7k and rebok 2 piece. Go with what you like as you won't see much of a performance change. Also take into consideration, do you mostly brake blades or shafts? Some players have a tendency to break a lot of shafts, thus making the 2 piece pointless, and expensive.
To be honest I haven't broken a shaft in years and I think that might have been due to overheating when I was changing blades.

That may also be because I think I've been using a stick that is too stiff (Easton Ultralite 110). I get decent flex on my slapshot and some of my snapshots, but not too much on my wristers and my release isn't as quick as I'd like it. I still have a pretty good shot though, which is why the thought of moving to a tapered shaft of 100 stiffness is exciting.

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
oh so you've used shaft blade combos before... good. Well many people can't tell the difference between a tapered shaft and a standard. I personally like the tapered shafts because I feel like I can "feel" the puck better with tapered shafts but still my favorite combo is a pro stock standard flyweight shaft I have. Which basically goes to show that it's not soo much the tapered shaft, it's the quality or build of the shaft.

I'd tell you to try it out, it couldn't hurt. Are you looking into anything specific?

crashlanding

Nov 29, 2005
Chicago
I'd tell you to try it out, it couldn't hurt. Are you looking into anything specific?
Its funny, I think I'm going to switch up a lot from what I'm used to. I've used Easton shafts for years...started with a $40 shaft, went to ultra-carbon (my favorite stick that got taken out of production before I snapped it in a tournament, and I had a hattrick the game before :(), then I've been using an ultra-lite ever since, I had a grip lite, it was okay but it got stolen.

Anyways, that's besides the point. Through all of those sticks I've used the Shanahan blade pattern, since that's off the market I've switched to the Coffey from Sherwood. I'm thinking of going with a flatter curve though so I can catch passes/shoot better with my backhand (I think the Coffey is 3/4").

Right now I haven't looked too much past the Synergy II since I've had pretty good luck/like the feel of Easton sticks. I asked to try out one of my teammates' OPS during warmups and the feel on the release was great.

Now that my blade is cracking on my ultra-lite I figured I might as well give a new stick a shot.

Has anyone heard anything good/bad on the Synergy II?

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
Actually you can find ultra-carbons online, just rarely. I think hockey.lax.com has some.

A synergy II is basically a SL, the blades can lacking of durability. So you might want to explore other options for blades. Also just to let you know Nike/Bauer has XXXlite tapered shafts coming out in a couple/few months if you want to go that route.

crashlanding

Nov 29, 2005
Chicago
Actually you can find ultra-carbons online, just rarely. I think hockey.lax.com has some.

A synergy II is basically a SL, the blades can lacking of durability. So you might want to explore other options for blades. Also just to let you know Nike/Bauer has XXXlite tapered shafts coming out in a couple/few months if you want to go that route.
Oh it wasn't an ultra carbon, it had a similar name to it and I've seen the ultra carbon since so that's what stuck in my head.

It had a weird convex-concave shaft that fit your handedness. I think I got it around '99.

Thanks for all your help with the sticks.

Happy Pony

Jan 17, 2006
Columbus
I would say go for the tapered shaft and blade combo. That way you can try different curves if you want. You can also try different combinations, easton blade with rbk shaft, vice versa, so on and so forth, and find what works best for you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad