Opinions Wanted on Several Blues Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitaraholic*

Any followers of Jr hockey that have had a chance to see Alexei Shkotov, Konstantin Zakharov and Tomas Troliga and care to offer their thoughts on their potential, comparisons to other players, strengths and weaknesses, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

thx

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
guitaraholic said:
Any followers of Jr hockey that have had a chance to see Alexei Shkotov, Konstantin Zakharov and Tomas Troliga and care to offer their thoughts on their potential, comparisons to other players, strengths and weaknesses, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

thx

Troliga's an interesting character in my opinion.

First of all, he's a tall player, and although I'm not particularly sure of his weight, he looks fairly lanky out on the ice. For a player his size, though, he doesn't use his body much at all, and is probably one of the first WHLers to record over 100 PIM in hooking penalties alone.

That said, Troliga has a fairly soft set of hands. He can dazzle with the puck in the oppositions end, although often tries to make one move too many, and is unable to get a shot off.

Defensively, Troliga is mediocre. He's not someone that'll be counted on in a tight defensive game to shut down an opposing center.

Personally, I'd much rather have seen more offense out of Troliga this season, but he's still an intruiging prospect.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
guitaraholic said:

thx

Shkotov and Zakharov have impressive offensive abilities, never saw Troliga. Skhotov has some slick moves, skating/speed/stickhandling and he's got some guts too. During the PEI series he was mouthing off to the players bench cause he didn't like a hit he took, didn't really help his team but was entertaining. He looked good in the one remax game I saw as well in what was a brutal series for the Russian B or C team.

One guy I like on the Blues that isn't talked about much is Lee Stempinak (Dartmouth) I was hoping the Habs would take a shot on him, he's coming off a big year, although having Jessiman deflected a lot of attention from him, he produced very well this year. Should be a very strong Dartmouth team next year, they could win the ECAC imo (although I'm a Cornell fan first, Dartmouth I am now a fan of due to J T Wyman going there in the fall)

Testify

Jun 24, 2004
well I saw Shkotov play a couple times and I have to agree that guy have speed and great hockey abilites.. but the size has to be a great issues on him. I will second what montreal is saying.. that guy sure have alot of caracter!

I never saw the others players.. so I wont comment :)

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Has anyone on here seen Jay McClement play this year? He's going to be a solid 3rd line center in the NHL someday IMO. just a solid all around team player, who never misses his assignments and always shows up to the rink to play.

guitaraholic*

La-La-Laprise said:
Guitaraholic -- id tell ya, but everytime i give my opinion in the forums you seem to bash.

then I'll apologize to you for doing so. I do have a temper but I generally reign it in. Still we all have our moments. That's why I'm so forgiving for the most part with other people. As I have no opinions whatsoever on these players in question I cannot possibly argue with your opinion anyway. Please let me know your thoughts on these guys, I'd certainly appreciate it. And I definately won't 'bash' you for them.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Shkotov - Built like a tank. Great skater, NHL skill set. Small but isnt afraid to mix it up. Dives a lot and has a cocky attitude which may get him in trouble. Has good defensive awareness despite his floating ways. He came from the Red Army system so you know he can play 2 ways but he was more offensive in the QMJHL.

Zakharov - Tall, strong winger. Wont run you over but he isnt afriad to play in high traffic areas. Wicked shot, can pick goalies apart already but his vision isnt great but it shouldnt hold him back. Good but not a great skater and solid defensivly.

guitaraholic*

La-La-Laprise said:
Shkotov - Built like a tank. Great skater, NHL skill set. Small but isnt afraid to mix it up. Dives a lot and has a cocky attitude which may get him in trouble. Has good defensive awareness despite his floating ways. He came from the Red Army system so you know he can play 2 ways but he was more offensive in the QMJHL.

Zakharov - Tall, strong winger. Wont run you over but he isnt afriad to play in high traffic areas. Wicked shot, can pick goalies apart already but his vision isnt great but it shouldnt hold him back. Good but not a great skater and solid defensivly.

dude, you rock. great analysis. What do you see as their offensive 'upside' at the NHL level? 2nd line players who could pop for 65+ points a year?
seriously, I appreciate your feedback.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Zakharov will be a better NHLer.

Zak - 30G 25A - 55 pts

Shkotov its hard to tell cause his game doesnt translate as well. maybe 20 goals 30 assists at his peak.

guitaraholic*

Nice. That's sort of what I figured, solid 2nd or 3rd line offensive players. Again, I appreciate your feedback. And for what it's worth I'll put your username on my "don't bash" list :)

thanks again.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Testify said:
well I saw Shkotov play a couple times and I have to agree that guy have speed and great hockey abilites.. but the size has to be a great issues on him. I will second what montreal is saying.. that guy sure have alot of caracter!

I never saw the others players.. so I wont comment :)

If anything he LACKS charachter.

I wouldnt call diving around like youve been shot having charchter.

regdunlap7

Sep 28, 2003
lowell, ma
Visit site
ktownhockey said:
Has anyone on here seen Jay McClement play this year? He's going to be a solid 3rd line center in the NHL someday IMO. just a solid all around team player, who never misses his assignments and always shows up to the rink to play.

I saw him play 2x live last year. Like you said, he's solid, but he didn't really do anything that stood out either. I'd say 3rd liner is about right.

guitaraholic*

regdunlap7 said:
I saw him play 2x live last year. Like you said, he's solid, but he didn't really do anything that stood out either. I'd say 3rd liner is about right.

The consensus on Jay seems to be that of character, 3rd line center with some speed and a bit of offensive upside but certainly not much. Todd Marchant might be a good comparison based on that description, I don't know. By all accounts JM is a most likely NHLer as his game translates to the NHL rather well, as opposed to finesse players who are the ones that have the hardest time adjusting... we'll see.

guitaraholic*

La-La-Laprise said:
No worries.

Although if Shkotov makes it he could have a higher offensive cieling. He is more risk/reward. Higher risk, bigger reward.

It'd be a nice twist for the Blues if he actually turned out to have a 'high reward.' We're about due to have an impact forward come out of the system (and not get traded away like Brind'Amour, Handzus, Nagy and Hecht, potentially Taffe, etc.) It would be a very nice turn of events if Zakharov, Sejna and Shkotov all turned into solid players, god knows the Blues need the help up front. I do think they have some solid 3rd and 4th liners in McClement, Troliga and some Euro's. And I am harbouring the self-assuring delusion that Carl Soderberg is going to turn into the steal of the 2004 draft. :)

guitaraholic*

La-La-Laprise said:
I like Soderberg but it is too early to tell how good he MIGHT be.

I know, I was just kidding. It is the hope of Blues fans that the last two years drafts have yielded a solid crop of youngsters. Problem is most of the prospects fly well under the radar of the typical sources for covering prospects... at least that I've found. It's brutal trying to find first hand opinions from people who have seen guys like Backes, Alexandrov, Soderberg, Aaltonen, Jonsson and Zack Fitgerald play live and have therefore informed opinions on them, at least moreso than those of us who must rely on stats only.

Astaroth

Apr 22, 2004
Montreal,Qc
La-La-Laprise said:
If anything he LACKS charachter.

I wouldnt call diving around like youve been shot having charchter.

Well it all depends on how you look at it. I haven't seen him play extensively but I have watched the odd Rempart game shown on Vox. He floats shomewhat, dives and loves to run his mouth but he's got game. I think he's pretty entertaining but as long as he puts his money where his mouth is, you can't really fault him. Anyways I heard that on the last year of his contract, that is next season, he's turning pro and is already training with the Blues' farm team. I wonder if he could crack the lineup this year. Too bad he's leaving Quebec though, Radulov was coming over, I would have liked to see them play together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->