Opinions on Perezhogin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Nov 6, 2003
NC/Toronto/Florida
Just wondering what fans other then Hab fans think about this kid. The question is more for those who have seen him play a bit this season.

So far, he has 3 goals, 3 assist in 6 games i believe, playing on the top line with Saku and Kovalev on the Habs. He has been impressive imo, but as a Habs fan, im also a bit biased like any fan.

Id like other opinions though. Oh, and lets not discuss his incident in the AHL in this thread.......

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
Haha yes enough has been said about the AHL incident...

To me he looks a little like Pavel Bure...less game breaker in him...but I mean hard to dampen the kids upside....

on hockeysfuture he's 8.5 B....I mean that's pretty good

I think his talent level is first line russian....He was a first rounder right?...but he wasn't a Ovechkin or Kovalchuk interms of being obviously awesome to the same degree those guys are...and those guys are dominant with or without help...

Now that said most first lines will offer Perezhogin some help since most NHL first lines have skill. Right now he is fitting in perfectly with Koivu and Kovalev...you've gotta think if was playing in say Edmonton on the 2nd line he wouldn't have nearily the production...but he's in a good spot and deserves to be there

my point is this. Ovechkin is on the number one line of virtually any team...no matter what.....Perezhogin is there not by default but not as much as an ascribed born into right of passage....

That said the kid has first line tools and won't leave being a Top 6 forward for some time...

HF-Addict

Feb 26, 2004
Qubax said:
Haha yes enough has been said about the AHL incident...

To me he looks a little like Pavel Bure...less game breaker in him...but I mean hard to dampen the kids upside....

on hockeysfuture he's 8.5 B....I mean that's pretty good

I think his talent level is first line russian....He was a first rounder right?...but he wasn't a Ovechkin or Kovalchuk interms of being obviously awesome to the same degree those guys are...and those guys are dominant with or without help...

Now that said most first lines will offer Perezhogin some help since most NHL first lines have skill. Right now he is fitting in perfectly with Koivu and Kovalev...you've gotta think if was playing in say Edmonton on the 2nd line he wouldn't have nearily the production...but he's in a good spot and deserves to be there

my point is this. Ovechkin is on the number one line of virtually any team...no matter what.....Perezhogin is there not by default but not as much as an ascribed born into right of passage....

That said the kid has first line tools and won't leave being a Top 6 forward for some time...

Fair analysis, I think you are right on just about everything. Thx for killing the thread ;)

Chfan

Apr 16, 2004
Montreal
Good Topic , its fun to know how people thinks about him.
Personally, I think he is our best prospect, 6 points in 6 games isn't FANTASTIC like some crazy fans but its still very good for his first NHL season.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Chfan said:
Good Topic , its fun to know how people thinks about him.
Personally, I think he is our best prospect, 6 points in 6 games isn't FANTASTIC like some crazy fans but its still very good for his first NHL season.
Id say for a rookie it is pretty fantastic if keeps it up.

Omniscient Gadfly

Apr 6, 2003
Visit site
learning curve

i think you have to factor perezhogin's transition from russia to the ahl.

the kid had a slow first half in the 'a, but then picked it up statistically in the second half of the season, pacing himself amongst the league leaders. he built on this productivity with a solid RSL season packed with NHLers.

his placement on the top line with koivu and kovalev will certainly expedite his development as the transition to the nhl game is made more seamless. also, kovalev mentoring him is a bonus.

just based on his development curve, it seems perezhogin will be a legitimate top line player in the years to come. that said, i wouldn't be suprised to see perez fall off his current pace, as he still has to make the adjustment to the rigours of an 82 game nhl sched.

bertld

Jun 16, 2003
Visit site
I am not a habs fan but I do have Centre Ice Package. I have made a point of watching Perezhogin in at least 3 or 4 games so far and I have these comments.

1. Lots of speed
2. Handles the puck at top speed (he isn't like say Rico Fata or Paul Ranheim who had lots of speed but could harness it.)
3. Knows where to be. Like with all good players the puck follows him
4. This is the most surprising he is GRITTY. He doesn't let physical contact intimidate him. This is awesome for a guy his age, his size and from Europe. It take years sometime to get acclimated to the physical play ie. The Sedins, but he has done that already.

He is a true first line talent. A player that fans come to see. I hope he keeps it up.

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Omniscient Gadfly said:
just based on his development curve, it seems perezhogin will be a legitimate top line player in the years to come. that said, i wouldn't be suprised to see perez fall off his current pace, as he still has to make the adjustment to the rigours of an 82 game nhl sched.

He played a full AHL season already... plus a few playoff games. ;)

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Perezhogin has been very sharp so far. So has Alexander Steen...Alexander Steen has really stepped up for Toronto too.

We all had alot of debate before season started on who will be better - Steen or Perezhogin.

I still dont know. But im a Toronto fan so my decision will be biased. I've been more impressed with Steen. Maybe its because i have seen him in all the games played and i've seen Perezhogin in only 2 games. If Steen gets alot of minutes, then he'd be talked about a little more.

Steen has been excellent on the penalty kill, he's no doubt the Leafs top penalty killer at the moment. At the same time, he has provided with good offense. He hasnt looked out of place at all. He deserves to stay with the big club and im pretty sure he will.

Perezhogin has been good too. Love his offense, not too familiar with his defense.

What do you guys think? Who has been better...

I said Steen because i think he has displayed a very solid two-way game. Good defense, good offense. If only he gets to play more...

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
MaDdY said:
Perezhogin has been very sharp so far. So has Alexander Steen...Alexander Steen has really stepped up for Toronto too.

We all had alot of debate before season started on who will be better - Steen or Perezhogin.

I still dont know. But im a Toronto fan so my decision will be biased. I've been more impressed with Steen. Maybe its because i have seen him in all the games played and i've seen Perezhogin in only 2 games. If Steen gets alot of minutes, then he'd be talked about a little more.

Steen has been excellent on the penalty kill, he's no doubt the Leafs top penalty killer at the moment. At the same time, he has provided with good offense. He hasnt looked out of place at all. He deserves to stay with the big club and im pretty sure he will.

Perezhogin has been good too. Love his offense, not too familiar with his defense.

I said Steen because i think he has displayed a very solid two-way game. Good defense, good offense. If only he gets to play more...

Perezhogin has been the flashier of the two, the more dynamic if you will...but Steen's been excellent thus far, really showing a complete game, especially defensively...I haven't been able to notice Perezhogin's play defensively because he doesn't play on the PK, and when he's on the ice, most of the time the Perezhogin-Koivu-Kovalev line has the puck so :dunno:

About Perezhogin, 2 things have stood out the most for me...

1. His speed...I read about how fast he was, I even saw him at the rookie tournament a few years ago...but man, I never realized he was this fast...his acceleration is similar to Martin Havlat's (not comparing both players, just their acceleration)

2. His tenacity...you would think that he's your typical, perimeter scoring forward...but he's not, he drives to the net with speed and authority and he's always been this way, I remember from the WJC's a few years ago, he was always in M-A Fleury's crease...he's aggressive and much stronger than he looks, although he is 6' 205lbs...

All in all, he's been very impressive...

The thing with rookies (not named Crosby, Kovalchuck, Ovechkin) is that they're always as good as the players that surround them...Koivu and Kovalev, especially the latter, are of great help to him

Maithz

From what I've seen from him , he is fast , has good scoring chances every games , is really tought on is skate , he deserve his spot right now but if he wants to keep it he should continue to put points

Dr. Charles

Jan 20, 2005
Cracktown
MaDdY said:

do we have to jump into a Perezoghin vs Steen
or could we just let go?

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
Dr. Charles said:
do we have to jump into a Perezoghin vs Steen
or could we just let go?

I was thinking the same thing, but it can be handled responsibly or irresponsibly, depending on how it's done.

Perezhogin is playing on a line he will likely not be on when Zednik returns (if I understand the situation correctly...heck, Zednik might be back already and I wouldn't know...), whereas Steen is on the line he'll be on for the rest of the season, and doing well on it.

I'd rather avoid that can of worms on the "who's better" argument for now as well though. Maybe at the Olympic break, or end of the season we can open it again.

Perezhogin has impressed me. Played well, and couldn't ask for much more than he's given. He's done exactly what I've always expected.

SedinFan*

Perezhogin's been quite impressive so far.

Comparing him to Pavel Bure isn't accurate as I don't believe we'll ever see a player like Bure ever again.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
I've seen Montreal's last 6 games, and I've been very impressed by Perezhogin so far, although he could be more of a game breaker. He's a great fit on the Habs' top line, but he's not the one creating the plays. But I guess it's part of the learning process. Give hime time.

katodelder

Apr 22, 2004
Perezhogin makes Zednik expendable and gives GM Gainey a tradable comodity.

Zednik is a good gritty forward who is cheap compared to his production and is in his prime. On the downside he is a streaky scorer who can go into prolonged slumps and his abrasive style can lead to injuries. He works well in the corners so he could be a good compliment to Ribeiro's playmaking and Ryder's sniping on the Habs' 2nd line when he comes back from his groin injury.

He could also be eventually traded. You have to give up something good to get something good in a trade, so perhaps Zednik could be packaged with a player like Sheldon Souray to get an impact defenseman closer to the trade deadline.

Guy Caballero

Nov 15, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
MaDdY said:

He's not a penalty killer, but he definitely won't hurt you in the defensive end. Sort of like Mogilny in that respect. The comparisons to Mogilny started a while ago, and I think they are valid. I'm sure he won't put up the numbers that Almo did in his best seasons (the two where he got over 100 points), but if you look at the rest of Mogilny's career, I don't think that's out of reach for Perezhogin.

Above all, I love his attitude and hustle. He doesn't take any shifts off, and he's not afraid to muck in the corners. if he could add ten pounds and play with a little more of an edge, he'd be awesome. Hopefully Saku will instil this ethic in him.

Kasparov*

Extremely quick and agile and can handle the puck perfectly at top speed.. 1st line potenial, pretty impressing me so far!

MM425

Aug 14, 2005
Perezhogin= a poor man's Sergei Federov

Has tremendos speed and skill... and pretty sound on the defensive and physical sides.

I think my predction for 50-60 points for him is right on the money... though at this pace... he's scoring 80 points :propeller .

V-2 Schneider

Mar 8, 2004
Perezhogin could have as big an impact as Alex Tanguay had for Colorado, and the signs point to him being able to produce as well as Tanguay.Andre Savard wasn't wrong when he said that Perezhogin was Montreal's best prospect and a lock to make the team,regardless of the impression he made in camp. :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad