Opinions on Milan Jurcina

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm not a Bruins fan so I don't get to see much of their prospects, I only go on what I hear and the few times I see them. I've been hearing that Bruins management and fans are very excited about Jurcina. They are talking about him being a rock for them in their top 4 for sometime to come. I'm just wondering what style of play (I've heard him compared as a possible better version of Colin White) he has and what his upside and likely position are in the future. Any opinions would be great.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He's a big boy that needs to get bigger (fill out more). Was very impressive in the Q, but I haven't seen him this year, so some bruins fans will need to add comments. He's solid in his own end, but the knock on him is his lack of offensive production.

Last edited:

Newfie Bruin

Apr 30, 2003
NL
Visit site
Being compared to a Young Zdeno Chara. Except not as tall. I will tell u one thing though, he will be better than Gill. Hes very mobile for his size

icarus

Mar 6, 2002
Kingston, ON
Visit site
La-La-Laprise said:
Kutlak was called up because they probably want Milan to play a whole year in the AHL.

I guess, but Jurcina supposedly made the team out of camp. He was the seventh defenseman and sat on the bench for a week or so before being sent to Providence to get some playing time. Hasn't been back up since, and Kutlak sort of became the #7 blueliner in Boston, if I'm not mistaken. Perhaps a Bruins fan can set the record straight.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Yeah Milan made the team but he didnt play so they did the smart thing and sent him down.

He needs a year in the AHL to adjust to the NHL style game.

He is only 20, and i think Kutlak is 25 or something.

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com
icarus said:
I guess, but Jurcina supposedly made the team out of camp. He was the seventh defenseman and sat on the bench for a week or so before being sent to Providence to get some playing time. Hasn't been back up since, and Kutlak sort of became the #7 blueliner in Boston, if I'm not mistaken. Perhaps a Bruins fan can set the record straight.

It was all about experience at the time, but more importantly, the fact that the player called up wasn't going to see much action if at all.

Kutlak had a small amount of NHL experience, and the Bruins felt they could better afford to sit him in the press box over a long stretch of time as opposed to Jurcina, who made the team out of camp and accompanied them on the first two-week road trip of the season, but didn't see the ice at all.

Kutlak was a healthy scratch for all but one of the games he played in Boston, while Jurcina logged 25 min. plus of ice time in Providence.

So, in other words- Kutlak wasn't ahead of Jurcina on the depth chart at all. He simply filled a need in order to allow Jurcina to better develop. Expect Jurcina to be with Boston full time next season (if there is one).

PEli*

I say this as an extremely biased Mooseheads fan. Jurcina rules.

Wicked shot, great skater and a good defensive dman. I guess a bit more offense couldn't hurt but seriously...is that such a big deal? Everything else he brings to the table outweights the fact that he won't be a real offensive threat

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I got to see him play lots back home (Halifax), and he is quite good. Couldn't hurt to put on size, but he has all the tools to be a top 4.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
La-La-Laprise said:
6'05 233

Size is good in my opinion. Anymore and hed get slow lol

Wow, is he that big now? I don't remember him being that big with the Mooseheads. Other than his solid positional play, I never would have noticed. I remember a 6'2 or so guy under or around 200 lbs. If that's the case, give him a spot!!

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
He was 6'04 190 when he arrived here at 17.

He didnt grow much from 17-18 but from 18-19 he put on 30 lbs in the off season and played at 19 at about 220 and 6'04.

Then he gained more weight before pro camp. Also with all the weight gain, the Boston Bruins braintrust were surprised that it didnt slow him down. He actually got quicker.

Stock Rocks

Feb 27, 2002
Billerica, Mass.
Visit site
The guy is a stud.

Very impressed with him in both training camps. Sad thing is- we would've seen him in three, but he had to go to Halifax to get his visa straightened out after rookie camp in Kitchener ended, and then 9/11 happened, so the B's told him to stay there.

Kid got jobbed, but he's a monster out there. And, played GREAT defense in the four Providence games I've seen this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad