Opinions on Kings play so far this year...

LA Kings Cup Champs

Oct 1, 2007
KINGS of Hockey
I have not had a chance to watch any games this year and I am curious as to how the Kings are looking out on the ice. Does it look like Stevens is opening up the game for these guys? I see that Brown and Kopitar are scoring more - this is a nice change. Are the Kings playing a faster north/ south game or a slow grinding game?

Any opinions or observations or anything else that you would like to add would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
They play fast north south with a sprinkle of cross crease passing. The team looks happier and the games are much more fun to watch.

I'm sure Sutters inaudible mumbling went dry real fast. They look better with Stevens. And you can actually understand what he's saying.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
The kings have average team speed at the very least. The problem was they played a slow game under Sutter. that style hid what speed the kings had. Fantenberg and Folin have played well. Iafallo has done very well.

Blake did a great job on these signings. Quick looks great.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I don't think the Kings have played particularly well thus far. They've played mostly home games. Most of their opponents have been weaker teams. The Kings are turning the puck over a lot and aside from the Sharks game have allowed opposing teams to control significant portions of the games.

I think some of the problems are the result of the team still feeling things out after the coaching change. A lot of guys are playing good as individuals, but not necessarily as a team.

They're lucky to be 4-0-1 right now IMO.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
The Kings have exceeded my expectations so far but the schedule and opposition have been very light. A better assessment can happen after the upcoming road trip.

On the plus side they are clearly having fun out there and Stevens does have his stamp on the style of play -- much quicker puck movement, not running the top players into the ground with minutes and most importantly, taking advantage of opponent mistakes rather than just grab and hold the puck on the boards to pad possession stats.

At the individual level, Quick looks very solid. Doughty, Brown, Kopitar are off to great starts. The 70's line isn't hitting on all cylinders yet but that may change as team's have to try and shut down Kopitar's line. Forbort has quietly had a great start to the year and Folin/Fantenberg are fitting in nicely, Amart should thrive in a faster tempo. It looks like the Kings may have a 3C after all -- Nick Shore. IMO he's noticeably stronger and not getting knocked off the puck so easily this year. He's been good on the dot and has a little playmaking skill to boot.

On the minus side, the 4th line is going to be a project. It's a mess and Blake needs to go out and find another center. A 4th C shouldn't be terribly expensive and the team is swimming in D right now. Still, if your worst problem is the 4th line you're doing good.

Then there's Muzzin...

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
This team is definitely different. I remember in Steven's first press conference as head coach he identified the problems that he wanted to fix such as attacking the middle more, more high quality chances, have the defensemen join the rush more, but also keep the seem defensive style that has kept us successful over the past couple seasons. And i've said it in earlier GDTs this season, but this team far less predictable offensively. Over the past couple seasons since our last cup, we were easy to defend. It was hold the puck, try not to force plays, keep possession always and I think teams would let us do that, which would mean more perimeter shots. And so far so good as far as I'm concerned. The team is playing the way Stevens said they would. But its obviously not perfect and we've been fortunate the teams that we've faced so far have been pretty lackluster to say the least.

We can talk all day about how much better Kopitar and Brown have been playing, but I think the real surprise is Iafallo. No one knew anything about him when he signed, but hes been really impressive, even if the production isn't quite there yet. But he's creating space for Kopitar and Brown and reminds of Pearson in some ways. Before Clifford got hurt, the Clifford-Shore-Lewis line was arguably our best line most nights with how effective they were. I think the only issues we have right now is whatever Kempe's line is. He's just not making it happen right now when we need more.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
The Kings are definitely playing a lot different. Are they "best team in the league" different, as the record suggests? No. They have benefited from having a light schedule. But the Kings of the past have also at times played down to the level of their competition.

They do utilize more of the ice much differently. They are putting bodies in front of the goalie. They are a lot less predictable. They are taking advantage of different passing lanes.

The fourth line is the biggest complaint, which is a nice change. The Carter line is starting to pick it up, but they were almost a non-factor the first couple games.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The Kings are definitely playing a lot different. Are they "best team in the league" different, as the record suggests? No. They have benefited from having a light schedule. But the Kings of the past have also at times played down to the level of their competition.

They do utilize more of the ice much differently. They are putting bodies in front of the goalie. They are a lot less predictable. They are taking advantage of different passing lanes.

The fourth line is the biggest complaint, which is a nice change. The Carter line is starting to pick it up, but they were almost a non-factor the first couple games.

Really important point frankly. Our old style might have worked against 'better' or more talented teams, but it also kept lesser teams in every game. So it was nice to see us close out the 'should wins' and worry about the upcoming games more.

We're on a bit of a PDO bender and I'd expect that to equalize a bit on the roadie which is like the polar opposite of the schedule we've had so far, but visibly, it's more entertaining, faster paced, and very different--much, MUCH less scared to trade chances and let Quick be Quick. That keeps opposing teams honest since they can't just sit in the corner waiting on the cycle.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
I don't think the Kings have played particularly well thus far. They've played mostly home games. Most of their opponents have been weaker teams. The Kings are turning the puck over a lot and aside from the Sharks game have allowed opposing teams to control significant portions of the games.

I think some of the problems are the result of the team still feeling things out after the coaching change. A lot of guys are playing good as individuals, but not necessarily as a team.

They're lucky to be 4-0-1 right now IMO.

Any stretch of going 4-0-1 is going to have some luck involved.

The good part is they're doing this without much input from Carter. He'll start scoring soon enough.

Reactions: King'sPawn

possesthepuck

Nov 23, 2013
Kenora Ontario
Im actually so relived. I honestly thought kopitar and brown might have declined like richards. Its obivous they both just gave up under sutter which while not ideal is better than the alternative!

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Any stretch of going 4-0-1 is going to have some luck involved.
5 games is a very small sample size. In NHL level hockey there's much more luck involved than other team sports, so a team can have a good record over a 5 game stretch and not necessarily be good.

LA Kings Cup Champs

Oct 1, 2007
KINGS of Hockey
Thanks for all of the insight and opinions on the Kings play with their new head coach and system. I still haven't watched a game this year, been too caught up in these crazy MLB playoffs/World Series. I look forward to watching them this year after the World Series is over.

5 games is a very small sample size. In NHL level hockey there's much more luck involved than other team sports, so a team can have a good record over a 5 game stretch and not necessarily be good.

Now that there has been a larger sample size, how does the team look?...I mean they do have the best record in the league right now. Does it look like they have found themselves this quickly already? Was Sutter's attitude and coaching style really weighing them down that much? My dad and I have been saying that Sutter needed to go right after the 2015 season because Sutter's coaching style no longer fit the league, with the youth and speed style taking over. I am glad that he was finally replaced, but am a little sad that it took so long to replace him.

More thoughts and observations now that have a few more game played would be much appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
I still haven't watched a game this year, been too caught up in these crazy MLB playoffs/World Series. I look forward to watching them this year after the World Series is over.

IdioticComfortableGroundhog.gif

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
When Carter and Gaborik are 100%, this team may have three full scoring lines and three good to decent D pairings plus Quick is looking A Ok.

Reactions: KingTrouty

LA Kings Cup Champs

Oct 1, 2007
KINGS of Hockey
IdioticComfortableGroundhog.gif

Wow...what a sad response to my post. Your response has no real purpose but to try and put me down, for what I am not sure. Are you saying that I am a loser because I haven't watched the Kings yet this year or because I have been watching Baseball? Either way, it shows how little of a human you are. Neither of those things and nothing that I said in my post warranted your reply and nothing that you say about me has any affect on me. I don't know you and you don't know me and, because of this, nothing that you say about me personally on these boards will have any affect on me. It is really sad that you took the time to give this reply and it is even more sad that someone gave it a "like." You must still be in high school or still stuck in a high school mind-set to think that you are really putting me down with this immature and pathetic post. I am a grown man with class and intelligence, which you obviously have no idea about, as well as a life (outside of sports, which I don't watch much) and a family, so please do us all a favor and refrain from posting unless you have something positive to add. Thanks.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Wow...what a sad response to my post. Your response has no real purpose but to try and put me down, for what I am not sure. Are you saying that I am a loser because I haven't watched the Kings yet this year or because I have been watching Baseball? Either way, it shows how little of a human you are. Neither of those things and nothing that I said in my post warranted your reply and nothing that you say about me has any affect on me. I don't know you and you don't know me and, because of this, nothing that you say about me personally on these boards will have any affect on me. It is really sad that you took the time to give this reply and it is even more sad that someone gave it a "like." You must still be in high school or still stuck in a high school mind-set to think that you are really putting me down with this immature and pathetic post. I am a grown man with class and intelligence, which you obviously have no idea about, as well as a life (outside of sports, which I don't watch much) and a family, so please do us all a favor and refrain from posting unless you have something positive to add. Thanks.

I am that sad person who gave it a like. For a grown man with class you certainly find it suitable to insult and put down and be combative with savemefromtears and I without taking the time to understand what our responses meant.

I thought it was cute that Savemefromtears showed that graphic for disapproval that baseball, even if it's the playoffs, was given priority over hockey. Some of us are pure hockey fans. I'm one of them. I won't judge people who like other sports, but give friendly ribbing by saying "hockey's better."

As someone who has no idea about class and intelligence, I am also someone who took the time to respond to your thread question, if you actually paid attention.

About me personally, you are very far off about who I am. But you also do not deserve to get to know me, based off your attitude and insults.

I apologize for the result of offending you, but not for the action, as I feel there is nothing wrong with Savemefromtears' post.

I think you should apologize to him though, because there was nothing he did that comes remotely close to putting you down or deserving of the response. You don't need to apologize to me though, the sole reason being I am blocking you.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Wow. There's a raw nerve or two there. I think you are over thinking this a little, it's a bit of an over reaction for a 'grown man'.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Is it just me or has this board turned into a lot of pissing contests lately?

Hey look at that, the Kings have the best record in the NHL. Yay!

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC
I like the pace they’ve been playing. Also liking that they’ve been cycling in some younger players from Ontario - and actually playing them! This should provide dividends down the line if we have to work through future injuries, which will probably happen at the worst times.

As to whether they’ve been lucky or played a soft schedule - this might be a little true, but you have to play the teams you’re scheduled against and you need to take advantage of some luck. I’ve got no issues here. Things might even out over the season, but in the meantime, we’ve banked some important points. Things might change, but it is sure nice to actually start the season on a high note and not have to be chasing the rest of the league.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Is it just me or has this board turned into a lot of pissing contests lately?

Hey look at that, the Kings have the best record in the NHL. Yay!

It was to he expected and I don't like people who start pissing contests either... But.. Baseball sucks.

Kings are playing a very fun game. Very fun to watch

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
Im actually so relived. I honestly thought kopitar and brown might have declined like richards. Its obivous they both just gave up under sutter which while not ideal is better than the alternative!

I'm not sure that I agree with that entirely. They look like that are having a lot more fun under stevens and the recent success is fantastic, but these guys still trained hard and came to the rink under sutter. They just got too predictable, and losing isn't fun.

Is anyone else concerned that we'll blaze through the whole season playing pretty fun hockey, but then get to the postseason and be too open and shit the bed? Or have I just been indoctrinated with Lombardi/ Sutter hockey?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad