Opinions on Dennis Wideman and Patrick Wellar sought

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitaraholic*

Blues signed them as unsigned ufa's recently... any info/opinions/projections/talent analysis appreciated by those of you who follow Jr's closely.

thx.

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
guitaraholic said:
Blues signed them as unsigned ufa's recently... any info/opinions/projections/talent analysis appreciated by those of you who follow Jr's closely.

thx.

I have not seen Wellar, but tried to follow him for a few years when he was a Caps' prospect.

What I heard (again, I never saw him) was that Wellar is a physical, stay-at-home type, good character, good leader. Not gonna put up points, and his biggest draw-back is his skating.

Hardly definitive, but hope it helps.

Egghammer

Feb 21, 2004
London, ON
Dennis Wideman is an offensive defenceman.

Regular Season
GP G A PTS +/- PIM
60 24 41 65 52 85

Playoffs
GP G A PTS +/- PIM
15 6 10 16 13 17

John E. Ringo

Aug 18, 2003
Visit site
Wideman

I've watched Wideman countless times over the past five seasons. He developed into a great junior defenseman after being dealt away from Sudbury (due to problems with old skool coach Bert Templeton). Wideman blossomed in London, becoming a real horse, playing 30+ minutes every night. He quarterbacked the PP, and was also their triggerman from the point, with a booming one-timer that he got on net.

IMO, Wideman will end up being a long-term excellent AHL defenseman but will struggle to reach the Show. He's a bit undersized and slow afoot, two traits that alone may not hurt him at the NHL level but together could spell big trouble.

I love the fire that he developed as his OHL career progressed. One game I saw him get stitched up after getting a stick in the mouth, come back with four minutes left and not leave the ice until regulation and the five-minute OT period was done. IIRC, he also assisted on the game-tying goal in the final minute. Classic and gutsy. But that won't necessarily translate to success at higher levels.

My two pennies worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad