Opinions on Cody Almond?

Bookman

Feb 27, 2002
frozen north
Visit site
On paper, I like this guy as a 5th round pick. He has good size, and came on well at the end of last season. He won't turn 18 until next month, so there is perhaps more upside to him.

Any of you WHL folks have any insight on his game?

Thanks.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
As you say, he's a guy who came on late in the season with a really sharp development curve. Started the season as a rookie 4th liner for Kelowna, finished it as their leading scorer and a point-per-game guy over the last two months of the season.

Went around where I thought he would go. Pretty solid all-around centerman with a nice 6'2" frame ... will probably top out at 6'3" 210. Sort of a poor man's Brandon Sutter. Not a dynamic offensive player, but makes a lot of small, smart plays and has good vision/hockey sense. Skating needs a bit of work - mechanics seem OK, but doesn't have a lot of power/explosiveness. Will probably get better as he fills out and adds muscle. Good along the boards and responsible defensively.

Upside probably projects as a solid 3/4 center in pro if he can improve his skating. Probably not going to be a star, but a good smart big body to add to a system with a late round pick. Having said that, his exponential development over the course of last season gives hope there might be a bit more upside there.

Bookman

Feb 27, 2002
frozen north
Visit site
As you say, he's a guy who came on late in the season with a really sharp development curve. Started the season as a rookie 4th liner for Kelowna, finished it as their leading scorer and a point-per-game guy over the last two months of the season.

Went around where I thought he would go. Pretty solid all-around centerman with a nice 6'2" frame ... will probably top out at 6'3" 210. Sort of a poor man's Brandon Sutter. Not a dynamic offensive player, but makes a lot of small, smart plays and has good vision/hockey sense. Skating needs a bit of work - mechanics seem OK, but doesn't have a lot of power/explosiveness. Will probably get better as he fills out and adds muscle. Good along the boards and responsible defensively.

Upside probably projects as a solid 3/4 center in pro if he can improve his skating. Probably not going to be a star, but a good smart big body to add to a system with a late round pick. Having said that, his exponential development over the course of last season gives hope there might be a bit more upside there.

Thanks MS - it will be fun to see how he develops next season. By your description, he sounds very much like a Wild kind of player.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I hear he's kinda nutty...? :sarcasm:

In all seriousness, I only saw him during the 1st half of the season, and I thought he was a talented player, even though he wasn't playing a whole lot. He stood out amongst the crowd of young Kelowna players, seemed at times like the best player amongst their forwards. I would say best player on the team, but Luke Schenn was phenomenal for them. I would have been happy to land him in the 5th round, definately has 5th round talent, good size, and competes like an NHL prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->