[OPINION] Leafs not playing like a "Brotherhood"

cremona

Jan 16, 2013
This is simply my opinion. I do feel strong enough about it to write it out however.

Over the last month or two a bunch of things concerning the leafs play have really stood out to me. We all know that this team does have talent, however on most nights it really looks like they are not playing like a team and any type of required continuity is absent. Why? Why are they not playing like a team? Well, teams who have the "Brotherhood" mentality tend to do very well. What we have with the Leafs are a bunch of guys who are just work colleagues.

In your brotherhood atmosphere which is essentially family, NOBODY messes with anyone on your team. As an opposing player if you choose to take liberties with a player you will absolutely be dealt with ASAP. This kind of behavior is not tolerated.

What we have in the Leafs case is our captain being dumped after the whistle on the west coast trip and not a single soul even attempted to chirp the opposing player let alone getting physical. No face wash or anything. Not a soul even asked the captain getting up if he was alright. They just went about their business.

Taking it back to last night our captain delivered a pretty nice clean hit on Staal. Dion got 10 feet before he was harassed and eventually had to drop the gloves himself. Nobody came before hand to defend their captain.

Then the worst part of the night was when Staal intentionally wired a slap shot into that empty net. It was a win/win for Staal as he was either going to hit Dion with the puck HARD or get a goal. The stare down after absolutely shows what Staal had intended to do as he wound up fully for the shot. Once again not a damn soul had any spine to go defend their captain. A player from an opposing team disrespects your captain and could have possibly injured him and the best you have is smacking your stick against the post.

As I said, this team is no brotherhood. There is no such thing as family. We have co-workers and that's it.

I would venture to guess that although players do like and respect each other, there are small little clique's that dominate this dressing room which leads to exclusion rather then that family atmosphere. The personalities of our captain and most skilled player are also questionable in regards to building chemistry.

Now even if I am correct about this I can't really blame the players. They are who they are. Some are anti social, some are always in trouble, some are born leaders and some are followers. The key with all of these personalities is to put them into your line up in a harmonious way. A social player nudging an anti social player to come out of his shell. A leader having a come to Jesus meeting with a player who is not taking his role seriously. This will create a really positive playing and dressing room atmosphere and will encourage bonding and team building. This is where MLSE has failed.

In my opinion :)

TankNationTillDeath

Pylon4Sale
Jan 10, 2014
Toronto
How can you be a brotherhood when Clarkson makes 5+ for 5?

Or when pylon makes 7 for 7?

Or when Kessel makes 8 for 8 and refuses to go into the corner, the slot, or the defensive zone?

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
When you are raised in a dog eat dog world there isn't much left for brotherhood. There won't be a brother left in the hood.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
Not at all you got that right for certainly.

Not a team this is. Maybe in the future again.. but not now. The whole "star" core should be traded away and new players to be gotten back. New Captain and all.

Keep players like Komarov, Polak, Bernier, Franson, Santorelli and some others who play for the TEAM. Like brothers.

ThatQuietGuy93

Apr 23, 2013
London On
There was one player on the bench last night that padded Bernier on the pads as he was skating off to the bench, curious who it was ? Maybe polak? It was on the defensive side

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
Teams approaching success in Toronto have always had a center that was indisputably a number one center that would pay some sort of price or exact one from the other team.

Sittler, Gilmour and Sundin. Between Sittler and Gilmour it was a dry time. Between Sundin and the present, same thing.

I don't want to trade Kessel. I remember how he played against Boston in the playoffs. It would be a shame to have had Kessel, but never the leader he needed. I think the same goes for Phaneuf. He's a great number two on a championship club, but he's not a captain and he's no longer performing like a number one.

The fix (in great part) comes through acquiring a number one center and making him captain. And I'm starting to think, even if we have that example for a short period, it might be enough to bring out (if it's there), the leader in Kadri, Nylander,Reilly,etc...The only player I can think the club has a chance at getting who could check off all the temporary boxes is Mike Richards.

Past his prime,sure. But he won't throw a wrench in the long term plan, he wont cost an arm and a leg, and playing for Toronto might be the thing that resurrects the fire that made him easily one of the top ten centers in the league not so long ago.

It may be a dramatic take, but...I don't see how management ignores the obvious dearth without admitting negligence.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
Teams approaching success in Toronto have always had a center that was indisputably a number one center that would pay some sort of price or exact one from the other team.

Sittler, Gilmour and Sundin. Between Sittler and Gilmour it was a dry time. Between Sundin and the present, same thing.

I don't want to trade Kessel. I remember how he played against Boston in the playoffs. It would be a shame to have had Kessel, but never the leader he needed. I think the same goes for Phaneuf. He's a great number two on a championship club, but he's not a captain and he's no longer performing like a number one.

The fix (in great part) comes through acquiring a number one center and making him captain. And I'm starting to think, even if we have that example for a short period, it might be enough to bring out (if it's there), the leader in Kadri, Nylander,Reilly,etc...The only player I can think the club has a chance at getting who could check off all the temporary boxes is Mike Richards.

Past his prime,sure. But he won't throw a wrench in the long term plan, he wont cost an arm and a leg, and playing for Toronto might be the thing that resurrects the fire that made him easily one of the top ten centers in the league not so long ago.

It may be a dramatic take, but...I don't see how management ignores the obvious dearth without admitting negligence.
I'm totally behind this post for sure.

Get in Richards this season already. He's a fantastic player and leader. With him and Komarov, Polak etc in the lineup we would be tough to beat.
He should be the captain immediately of course. So trading Phaneuf for him would serve us greatly.

Giuseppe Sallo

ELE-VAT-ED
Apr 20, 2007
Back to L.A
twitter.com
Very true... No character. No leadership. It's that simple. Guys like Dion, Phil, & Lupes haven't shown they can be leaders. I believe team confidence goes a long way and I don't see that with this team. It's like, "gimme my paycheck and I'm done".

Bottom line: It's time for a make over, and it starts with trading kessel. A#1 C and a #1 D man is a must. We're gonna have to draft our way to the top, and with the promising core with Marlies, we might be better off.

Giuseppe Sallo

ELE-VAT-ED
Apr 20, 2007
Back to L.A
twitter.com
I'm totally behind this post for sure.

Get in Richards this season already. He's a fantastic player and leader. With him and Komarov, Polak etc in the lineup we would be tough to beat.
He should be the captain immediately of course. So trading Phaneuf for him would serve us greatly.

He hasn't been the same player fora few years now. As a leader, I'm might buy into that but he is regressing. No thanks.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Unfortunately, we have some players being paid monies they do not deserve. Their teammates know this, the opposing players know this, and, some, if not most, of the fans know this.

Jealousy tends to cause players to shy away from being best of friends with those that they are jealous of. Cliques form, and, we have a situation where teammates don't care for teammates outside of these cliques.

I'm not saying this is exactly what is going on, but, I still suspect that this has some basis for truth.

Phaneuf is not well liked around the League. He has also been voted to be the most overrated player by his NHL colleagues. His own teammates probably feel the same way as they get to see him game in game out.

I'm not surprised that Phaneuf's teammates don't come to his aid.

We also have several other players being paid big money that other players feel is not deserved. This also leads to disunity within the team IMHO.

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
This all has to do with Phaneuf being a terrible captain. He's not a leader and no one will stick up for him. It's not just the opposing players who hate Phaneuf. It was a mistake to give him the captaincy. He's still a good player, and has been for most of his time here. Captain material? No way.

Hunter74

Sep 21, 2004
This all has to do with Phaneuf being a terrible captain. He's not a leader and no one will stick up for him. It's not just the opposing players who hate Phaneuf. It was a mistake to give him the captaincy. He's still a good player, and has been for most of his time here. Captain material? No way.

I think it is easy to point the finger at Phaneuf and say the team does not stick up for each other because Phaneuf is not a good Captain.

The players look absolutely shell shocked out on the ice. They are thinking way to much and it is effecting how they are reacting to situations on the ice.

Sticking up for teammates has nothing to do with whether you like that player or not. He is your teammate and teammates have to stick up for each other and that is just the way it is since the dawn of time. Something is getting in the way of this and I think it has to do with fear of losing and all the outside distractions of the Toronto media right now.

The players need a rallying cry something that they can use to band together and get refocused on because right now they are overly focused on all the wrong things like Media articles, new system, trades, scoring production, defensive coverage and so on and so on.

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
I think it is easy to point the finger at Phaneuf and say the team does not stick up for each other because Phaneuf is not a good Captain.

The players look absolutely shell shocked out on the ice. They are thinking way to much and it is effecting how they are reacting to situations on the ice.

Sticking up for teammates has nothing to do with whether you like that player or not. He is your teammate and teammates have to stick up for each other and that is just the way it is since the dawn of time. Something is getting in the way of this and I think it has to do with fear of losing and all the outside distractions of the Toronto media right now.

The players need a rallying cry something that they can use to band together and get refocused on because right now they are overly focused on all the wrong things like Media articles, new system, trades, scoring production, defensive coverage and so on and so on.

You are correct. It is easy to blame one guy and maybe his leadership is not the problem however...

Phaneuf is not capable of that rallying cry. We've collapsed more times than any team in the NHL over the past 5 years. Sometimes you need a good speech in order to get the troops to believe. What we need is an ice general. Unfortunately, to change the voice and direction of this team likely means trading a good player.

I don't blame Phaneuf for his play, but for whatever reason the leadership on this ship has been unable to get us out of the deep end without sinking. It's never one mans doing, but one man can make a difference. A trade for Phaneuf should be management's #1 or #2 priority now. Internal changes likely won't amount to anything.

Maybe Phaneuf is just a symptom and not the cause, either way he needs to go. Just about everyone in Toronto is sick of him.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Phaneuf for Richards is a decent basis for a deal, but I'd want a 1st + a good prospect coming back as well.

Similar to a deal with Dallas. I don't mind taking on Horcoff, but I'd want a 1st + a good prospect coming back.

Hunter74

Sep 21, 2004
Phaneuf for Richards is a decent basis for a deal, but I'd want a 1st + a good prospect coming back as well.

Similar to a deal with Dallas. I don't mind taking on Horcoff, but I'd want a 1st + a good prospect coming back.

Apparently Phaneuf and Richards/Carter were good friends from the WJC days so maybe Richards and Phaneuf as teammates may be a good way to go.

Would look at something like Gardiner for Richards +(Nolan?) as a way to go. LA is losing Voynov most likely and need someone to replace his transition game. LA gets Richards off the books and Gardiner is a good asset.

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
Apparently Phaneuf and Richards/Carter were good friends from the WJC days so maybe Richards and Phaneuf as teammates may be a good way to go.

Would look at something like Gardiner for Richards +(Nolan?) as a way to go. LA is losing Voynov most likely and need someone to replace his transition game. LA gets Richards off the books and Gardiner is a good asset.

We have enough Cap tied up in Clarkson, and unless we are offloading a significant amount of it like Phaneuf for Richards + it just would be a terrible move for us. Unless we want to tank in which case this move would be perfect.

We should just sign random 4th liners to 35 million dollar contracts and let them get us to worst team ever.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario

I really doubt any team would cough up a first in any deal regarding Phanuef.

Hunter74

Sep 21, 2004
You are correct. It is easy to blame one guy and maybe his leadership is not the problem however...

Phaneuf is not capable of that rallying cry. We've collapsed more times than any team in the NHL over the past 5 years. Sometimes you need a good speech in order to get the troops to believe. What we need is an ice general. Unfortunately, to change the voice and direction of this team likely means trading a good player.

I don't blame Phaneuf for his play, but for whatever reason the leadership on this ship has been unable to get us out of the deep end without sinking. It's never one mans doing, but one man can make a difference. A trade for Phaneuf should be management's #1 or #2 priority now. Internal changes likely won't amount to anything.

Maybe Phaneuf is just a symptom and not the cause, either way he needs to go. Just about everyone in Toronto is sick of him.

I dont think a rallying cry would of saved past teams. I think the style of play the run and gun style just dries up when better teams really tighten up in that second half. Power plays seem tougher to come by and when you do get them teams are on top of there PK making it harder to score. Turnovers aren't as easy to come but yet we are still cheating giving up our chances. Because of the way we played we were just doomed from the outset just like this year.

This year big hits or fights don't seem to spark the team or maybe there haven't been enough spark moments with the new no fighting rules and lack of impact type hits. But with Dion getting into what 6 fights this year you would think that woudl get some of the guys going but it doesn't work with this group.

In the game against Carolina the Leafs were pretty sleepy and just seemed to be going through the motions. Phaneuf and Clarkson were trying to get something going with someone most of the game and it wasn't till Dion managed to get a good hit on J. Staal that his brother finally took the bait. The team imo played with more spunk after that but it was a case of to little too late and then the team dropped the ball when they didn't respond to the empty net slapper.

Not enough spunky type players on the roster and far to many easy going easy to play against personalities. This team needs more Darcy Tucker/Mike Peca type personalites on it and less JVR, Bozak, Kessel, Gardiner, Rielly, Lupul, Santo, Franson type personalities. Those guys are not bad guys they are just the type that need to be dragged into the fray. Not saying get rid of all those guys as you obviously keep a couple of them.

The ratio is all off as all we have for energy creating players are:

Komarov: Great spark plug to bad he got injured
Phaneuf: Does lack of depth prevent him from playing meaner or has he become complacent?
Clarkson: Obviously lost his way and thinks he is a skill forward now. Not engaged in the game.

That is assuming your lineup gets energized with rough stuff because maybe a goal is the only thing that really energizes this group.

My take on this team is right here.

IMO Kessel is the heartbeat of this team. When Kessel is going and feeling good the top forwards are feeling good and they follow his lead and because the worker players like Winnik, Santo and such always going it usually means the whole team is going and things are great. However those top flight forwards don't seem to be sparked by hits or fights or anything other than if Kessel is going or not which means if Kessel is cold we are playing a game with our top line or top two lines going through the motions while Kessel tries to get back on track. Even our PP is so one dimensional as ALL offense flows through Kessel it coems to a crashing hault when Kessel is off.

Why cant JVR, Bozak, Lupul and Kadri get their games going even when Kessel is cold? That is a real issue with this team and its mostly with JVR and Bozak as they don't even try to make an impact when Kessel is cold and just sit back waiting to ride his coattails and hope Kessel gets hot again. Its much easier to ride coattails then to blaze your own trail.

Why the PP is designed solely off of Kessel coming off the side boards with no traffic at the net, no point shot threat or anything. You have a team with Phaneuf and Franson who are very good point shot threats yet you can't get them the puck for one timers and such for tip in plays and rebounds because Bozak and JVR do not go to the net enough to create space for the points. If they went to the net and used the points it would open up Kessel on the side boards and make him more dangerous.

So so much wrong with this team.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I wasn't a fan of the leadership group in that room last year, and was curious to see what it would be like this season with additions such as Polak, Robidas, and Winnik.

After Nashville and SaluteGate, that room was under siege and I felt like they reacted really well - 10-1-1, said the right things, and it gave the suggestion that maybe the leadership group in that room had improved a bit.

But how can you feel that way now?

It's a train wreck right now. Outside of Polak who busts his ass off, there's just not much push back or togetherness from anyone right now. It's not a surprise either - we've seen this all before

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad