Opening that old can of worms: Recent Malkin reporting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anksun

Dec 13, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
clefty said:
I don't think thats true at all. Firstly, Malkin is the same age Ovechkin was in his last season in Russia. When he plays in the NHL doesn't matter, what matters is what he does when he gets there. And without doubt, this season he's playing Russia has been a HUGE developmental process for him where he's become one of the league's elite. I can't imagine how sky-high his confidence is.

And secondly, if you read the article, Malkin decided to stay where he is and then try the NHL route next year. Where did Pittsburgh make the mistake? They wanted to sign him, but he wanted to stay in Russia this season. What can they do? Forge his signature, kidnap him and force him to play?

I should have explained myself better. What i was trying to said was simple:

Malkin WAS ready for nhl time THIS year. While the experience in russia WONT HURT, imo the best year in a LONG time to make the jump in the nhl was this year. Everyone is adjusting to "new rules", everyone did miss nhl caliber hockey last year and the nhl is just more open than in a long time. We have no way to know how it will be done, but we know players will start adjusting, find new ways to make better checking on the opposition (and so on). I think the scoring will remained higher, but every player in the nhl this year will have 1 full year of adjusting time over a young stud like Malkin (who should have got that 1 year now), including Ovechkin.

I'm still a supporter of Malkin, i was impressed by him last wjc, a lot more than Ovechkin in fact. But that nhl year of Ovechkin will show a bigger gap between both those guys at the beginning of the next nhl season.

A BIG mistake? nope.
A missed opportunity to put Malkin in the best possible position to adjust and growth as a player in a new system? definitly.

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
Tjardus Greidanus said:
For as good as Crosby & Ovechkin are, already, it seems like it would be impossible to say this...but I still will because I firmly believe it.

Malkin will end up being better than both.

There may be some bias in it(but you do also have to take note that Crosby is a Penguin as well), but I feel that Evgeni Malkin will be the best player in the NHL at one point or another.

Just picturing Malkin and Crosby together makes me need a new pair of pants.

How do you figure? In Russia Ovechkin was better than Malkin, sure Malkin is a great prospect but there is no way he is better than Crosby & Ovechkin.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Anksun said:
I'm still a supporter of Malkin, i was impressed by him last wjc, a lot more than Ovechkin in fact. But that nhl year of Ovechkin will show a bigger gap between both those guys at the beginning of the next nhl season.

I too was impressed with Malkin and it was great to finally to see him play.....but I am wondering what you mean by being more impressed? That he was the better player or that you saw something that made you think, in time, he would end up being better.....Ovechkin, in my eyes, was clearly Russia's best player at the WJC, seeing how he won tourny's best forward kind of supports that as well

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
EroCaps said:
Malkin blew me away at the WJC. I thought he looked better and showed more potential than SC w/his combination of speed/size/vision.
Exactly. That's what I saw too. I watched every moment of every game, even saw some games two times. As a Canadian living abroad I got to use mediazone's online blanket coverage of the tourney. Canadians in Canada couldn't see every game, and don't know what they were missing!

Anksun said:
...Malkin, i was impressed by him last wjc, a lot more than Ovechkin in fact...
EuroCaps, myself and others who watched every game share your judgement

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
EroCaps said:
Ovechkin finished the WC w/5 goals, 3 assists, leading Russia in points, goals and GWG.

Malkin w/4 assists.
That's where awards and accolades are handed out. But those stats are misleading. Overall, I'd say Malkin demonstrated more talent and potential. This takes nothing away from Ovechkin.

And I speak as someone who had no opinion on either player before that tourney.

Anyone who thinks Malkin CAN'T become as good or better than Ovechkin and Crosby hasn't watched the games he played in the World Championships! The guy has phenomenal skills.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
VanIslander said:
That's where awards and accolades are handed out. But those stats are misleading. Overall, I'd say Malkin demonstrated more talent and potential. This takes nothing away from Ovechkin.

Gotta ask.....what are misleading about his stats? Its not like he had one big game

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Okay. I just paid ANOTHER $ 39 u.s. through mediazone to have another 3 months of unlimited access to on-demand coverage of every game from the world championships.

I will watch every Russian game again and let you know exactly where and when they have impressed. I am open minded enough to perhaps see Ovechkin impress more than I did during the tourney.

I am a true hockey fan and this is by no means "work". Now excuse me, I have a weekend project to do.

I'll report back later.

In the meantime, others who actually watched Malkin play can comment on what they have seen of his ability relative to Ovechkin's.

ej_pens

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
Zine said:
Yeah, he's eligible. But I remember reading something about Metallurg not releasing him to play because he's too valuable to them.

They probably won't release him because he'll likely be a top candidate to play for Russia in the Olympics. They didn't want to lose him for both tournaments and they thought it might be too many games for him before the Russian season had ended.

He would probably play in the WJC's, if it wasn't an Olympic year

Anksun

Dec 13, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Mothra said:
I too was impressed with Malkin and it was great to finally to see him play.....but I am wondering what you mean by being more impressed? That he was the better player or that you saw something that made you think, in time, he would end up being better.....Ovechkin, in my eyes, was clearly Russia's best player at the WJC, seeing how he won tourny's best forward kind of supports that as well

Well you know, sometimes it's just a little something that catch your eyes. I'm not sure my english is good enough to make my point enough clear but i though i was more pleased when watching that tall guy making smooth and big strides with ease. Confident in his own zone and the better player to regroup around and restart the attack.

Dont fool yourself, Ovechkin was the best player. I simply though by that time, Malkin was looking like the one who could be the leader, the main guy over Ovechkin.

We'll see in the futur and as i have state previously, it will take more time than i would have think because of that 1 year in russia vs 1 year of nhl by Ovechkin. The gap will be bigger, easily.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
OMFG! What a play. I remember it now.

First period of the first game of the tourney, face-off in the Austrian zone goes to the far boards, recovered by Austria and moved up ice, MALKIN intercepts the pass and converts the turnover into an immediate scoring opportunity by pivoting and passing straight to the stick of Ovechkin... an absolute beauty! (+2) Then Ovechkin bobbled the puck, misplayed the puck trying to shoot but connected on his attempt, putting the "easy" goal over the sprawled goaltender to make it 1-0 in the first period. ( +1 )

Malkin's assist is worth much more than Ovechkin's goal in terms of demonstrated skill.

BUT, what I hadn't seen before when I watched the game live was the ANTICIPATION by Ovechkin. He took a chance by staying deep in the offensive zone when the play was headed the other way. Did he think Malkin might create a turnover at the blueline? Some coaches might criticize his lack of hustle getting back defensively, but the way he hovered through the middle of the ice it was like he expected Malkin to possibly make the great play that he did. ( + 0.5 Ovechkin)

Earlier in the game Ovechkin had two shots while parked in the left slot (copying Yashin's move twice already in the game), the one upclose going over the net as he tried to go top shelf. ( + 1 )

Malkin created another turnover when he recovered a puck behind his own net, made a good first pass and hustled up ice to create a scoring opportunity that linemate Afinogenov couldn't convert. ( + 1 )

EDGE goes to Malkin after one period of the first game of the World Championships (3 to 2.5 could be 3-to-2 or 3-3 based on one's interpretation but the best judgement I can make is indicated here). I am using a points allocation system to indicate relative worth in each period as we go.

(by the way, though he has no points yet, Datsyuk is the best player on the ice clearly this period, his puckhandling, passing, drawing of penalties in movement around blueliners, great whenever he is on the ice. Yashin and Kovalchuk however seem easily stopped by Austrian defenders, have had low quality shots from the perimeter. Setzinger for Austria ties it up 1-1. I'd forgotten how well Oliver played. I'll have to check out sometime how he's doing in Europe this fall.)

On to period 2.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Anksun said:
I should have explained myself better. What i was trying to said was simple:

Malkin WAS ready for nhl time THIS year. While the experience in russia WONT HURT, imo the best year in a LONG time to make the jump in the nhl was this year.

Again, I don't think thats true at all. Dave King has talked about how far he's come along, to a point where he's now literally one of the best players in the league. I can't imagine how beneficial something like that is. While the Penguins wanted him on the team this year, you certainly wont hear a single complaint from them over the additional year's development. In the end, it could turn out to be the best for him.

Everyone is adjusting to "new rules", everyone did miss nhl caliber hockey last year and the nhl is just more open than in a long time. We have no way to know how it will be done, but we know players will start adjusting, find new ways to make better checking on the opposition (and so on). I think the scoring will remained higher, but every player in the nhl this year will have 1 full year of adjusting time over a young stud like Malkin (who should have got that 1 year now), including Ovechkin.

He'd have to adjust to the NHL calibre of play even if the enforcement of the rules were lenient. Tighter policing of the rulebook makes no difference. Coming in this year wouldn't have been any easier, because he'd be one year less developed physically.

Big deal. Eric Staal had a couple of years on Ovechkin, but that hasn't stopped Ovechkin from still being an incredible player. What I mean is, the barometer for Malkin's success is not defined by how far long Ovechkin is. The two aren't joined at the hip.

A BIG mistake? nope.
A missed opportunity to put Malkin in the best possible position to adjust and growth as a player in a new system? definitly.

You don't understand. They WANTED to sign him, he wanted to stay where he is for another year. Its not like they decided to keep Malkin in Russia, Malkin himself did. You can't say that is a mistake on the Penguins part, unless you consider being unable to control Malkin's mind a mistake.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Second period of the first game of the world championships:

Ovechkin made a nice surge in on the right side, drop passing to Afinogenov ( +1 ) but otherwise was unnoticeable like most of his teammates as the announcer put it: the Russians are "passive", "not much skating", protecting a one-goal league and only registering one shot by the midpoint of the period.

Kovalchuk was one of the few hustling Russians, moving the puck around the rink well, though always stopped at the perimeter.

Malkin brings the puck into the offensive zone, stops on a dime, pivots and looks for the backpass to Kovalev (they were killing a penalty). Nice play and knocked time off the clock. ( + 1 )

Malkin not only was effective on the pk but he continually checked his man closely, using his smooth and quick skating to stay positionally in the face of the opposing centre. He even took on two players, moving over to hook wingers when no one else was quick to get there, like on one play where he hooked the jersey of the Austrian winger, the play-by-play announcer saying was a "clear penalty" but wasn't called. Later in the period Malkin did finally go to the box for hooking when it got in someone's face. In their own end Malkin went into the corners a few times while Ovechkin stayed back near the net. You could always see who Malkin's man was. With Ovechkin you weren't always sure who he was covering defensively, though he may have been eyeing someone from a distance. Defensively in the second period of the first game of the WC, Malkin is clearly deserving of praise ( +1 ).

So, 2-to-1 for Malkin compared to Ovechkin in that period, 5-to-3.5 so far in the game, to use the scouting points system aforementioned.

Should be mentioned that Kharitonov was the best Russian on the ice that period, not only because he scores a great unassisted shorthanded goal either. But Setzinger for Austria was clearly the best player on the ice for either team, winning face-offs, passing, surging in and shooting, causing turnovers, a force everywhere.

On to the third period.

vitogor

Oct 26, 2002
Minnesota
Visit site
I had a chance to watch a few Russian League games last season, and I think I've only seen one Metallurg game, but it was enough to make me a Malkin fan. One play stood out the most for me. There was a faceoff in the neutral zone, near the opponent's blue line. Malkin won the faceoff to his feet, kicked the puck to his stick while accelerating at the same time, went right through the opposing center, split the D with two quick strides and was out on a clean breakaway, before anybody had a chance to understand what the hell was going on. He didn't score on that play because he was hauled down from behind when he was about to shoot, but that was incredible.

I don't want to get into the whole Malkin vs Ovechkin vs Crosby vs whoever else debate, I'm just really excited that we are all in for a treat for many more years. With players like these three, the future of the game looks very bright.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
VanIslander said:
In their own end Malkin went into the corners a few times while Ovechkin stayed back near the net. You could always see who Malkin's man was. With Ovechkin you weren't always sure who he was covering defensively, though he may have been eyeing someone from a distance

Well.....im almost all systems the center's defensive responsibility is to play deeper than the wings and is generally more defined

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Well I just finished re-watching the third period of the first Russian game of the WC. Except for the last five minutes, when Markov's great takeaway and pass to Kovalev caused the game winner and Kovalchuk got an easy empty netter, the game could have gone either way, and Russia looked poor for most of the period, as the announcer put it midway through the 3rd period: Russians are talented "but they don't bring it to the ice" in the game and lacked "team spirit" in the game. But I knew that already. I was surprised to notice this time that Yashin played better than I'd thought, defensively anyway. He was in their faces often. Afinogenov impressed me with his willingness to take abuse in traffic. Kovalchuk was AWOL most of the period and Datsyuk was a ghost compared to his play earlier in the game. Anyways, to the rookies...

Malkin stops a guy on the right boards, takes the puck away. ( + 1 ) Later on the shift he moves the puck from his own goalie crease up the middle to the right side and into the offensive zone, deking two checks, drops back to the blueline to avoid a third check, shoots a long shot into traffic. ( + 1 ) Ovechkin was there to get a rebound shot. ( + 1 )

Ovechkin moves to offensive blueline looking for a pass, circles back when doesn't come, Malkin gets the puck and passes up to Ovechkin on the left side. ( + 1 each ) Nothing comes of the play and Austria surges the other way with Ovechkin down on the ice. Malkin hustled back up the middle as the third man to cover the pass ( + 0.5 ) . The Austrian left winger on the far outside scores an incredibly bad angle goal on a wobbly shot that the announcer even admitted Sokolov should have stopped.

Ovechkin later positions himself well, looking for a loose puck at the goal crease ( + 0.5 ) after Afinogenov shows great hustle, grit and determination surging from the right baords through traffic, making the Austrian defender take a penalty to stop him. No shot by anyone on the play. (Russia only had 4 shots in the first 15 minutes of the period. The top two lines were sitting back on a one-goal lead and only late in the period turned it on to score when the game became tied.)

Malkin makes another surge up the ice with the puck, going up the middle, then to the right side, making a fine pass to Afinogenov coming across the middle ( + 1 ). Afinogenov gets stripped of the puck by the defender but the announcer takes the moment to praise Malkin's created scoring opportunity.

Ovechkin spins and makes a good shot on net from the left circle ( + 1 ) but then later on the shift doesn't get off the ice on the line change, staying deep in the offensive zone, then doesn't try to stop Setzinger ( - 0.5, these acts together make him partially responsible for what happened next) who recovers the puck deep in the Austrian zone and Setzinger goes coast to coast (!) past Ovechkin and the new line that'd just stepped out on the ice for a highlight Setzinger play that almost ended in a goal.

Ovechkin goes to the net late after Afinogenov brings the puck through traffic and crashes at the crease. (It's not clear, even upon review, whether Ovechkin should have gone to the net earlier, or whether he was positioned well for the rebound. It was messy play and everyone ended up on their butts. So no points either way. Just a strange play that stood out.)

So, for the third period, in terms of observed good plays by the two youngsters: 4.5 to Malkin, 3 to Ovechkin.

--------------

For the entire game:

Malkin-Ovechkin
3 - 2.5
2 - 1
4.5 - 3
=
9.5 - 6.5

The numbers are only used to get relative comparisons. One point is simply one observed good play. Just like the first two times I watched that game, Malkin IMPRESSED more even though Ovechkin is the one who got a goal.

I will re-watch every other Russian game for the tourney and point out likewise. It will become clear that those of us who did observe Malkin as the MOST impressive youngster on the ice for team russia aren't myopic fans. Indeed, many who were impressed like me had no opinion of Malkin or Ovechkin beforehand.

I do need to say that this NHL season Ovechkin has impressed me a lot more than he did in the WC. He is being much more physical in the NHL and plays his best when the game is on the line late in the third and in overtime.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Out of curiosity, is my math (and memory of the rule changes) correct as to his age and a silver lining in Malkin staying over in Russia that additional year? Will the Pens get one more year in his prime before he becomes an UFA than they would have had he come over this year?

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
Jaded-Fan said:
Out of curiosity, is my math (and memory of the rule changes) correct as to his age and a silver lining in Malkin staying over in Russia that additional year? Will the Pens get one more year in his prime before he becomes an UFA than they would have had he come over this year?

Well how old is he now?

Unrestricted free agency will become 27 OR 7 years played.

meaning the minimum UFA age will be 25 but only for those who broke into the league as 18 year olds freshly drafted only a few short months before.

So Evgeni is what 19-20 now?

he'll probably be restricted untill he's 27.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
SSJTOM said:
Well how old is he now?

Unrestricted free agency will become 27 OR 7 years played.

meaning the minimum UFA age will be 25 but only for those who broke into the league as 18 year olds freshly drafted only a few short months before.

So Evgeni is what 19-20 now?

he'll probably be restricted untill he's 27.

19 . . . so I was right . . . he would have become UFA a year earlier than he will now. A definate silver lining though not what the Pens would have chosen I am sure. Still would you rather have a 19 year old Malkin or a 26 year old Malkin? That is the extra year that they will get.

Anksun

Dec 13, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Just want to clear 1 thing. I was stricly using Ovechkin as a comparison because it's been like that for both of them for more than 2 years now.

Stricly from a fan of the game who's waiting to see Malkin more, i couldnt care less about the difference between him and Ovechkin.

edit: (concerning ufa)

And call me crazy as much as you want, i'd much rather have Malkin in the league this year until his 25 th birthday than next year up to his 26th birthday. Also, that 7 years rule is right now been put way to much out of proportion. We heard from plenty of people how the teams should keep the young guys 1 more year in the minor so they keep them that last year before ufa. Jeeez, put the kid in the best possible environment, let me growth and if it cost you 1 more million in 7 years to keep your young guy, let it be.

Last edited:

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
VanIslander said:
Well I just finished re-watching the third period of the first Russian game of the WC. Except for the last five minutes, when Markov's great takeaway and pass to Kovalev caused the game winner and Kovalchuk got an easy empty netter, the game could have gone either way, and Russia looked poor for most of the period, as the announcer put it midway through the 3rd period: Russians are talented "but they don't bring it to the ice" in the game and lacked "team spirit" in the game. But I knew that already. I was surprised to notice this time that Yashin played better than I'd thought, defensively anyway. He was in their faces often. Afinogenov impressed me with his willingness to take abuse in traffic. Kovalchuk was AWOL most of the period and Datsyuk was a ghost compared to his play earlier in the game. Anyways, to the rookies...

Malkin stops a guy on the right boards, takes the puck away. ( + 1 ) Later on the shift he moves the puck from his own goalie crease up the middle to the right side and into the offensive zone, deking two checks, drops back to the blueline to avoid a third check, shoots a long shot into traffic. ( + 1 ) Ovechkin was there to get a rebound shot. ( + 1 )

Ovechkin moves to offensive blueline looking for a pass, circles back when doesn't come, Malkin gets the puck and passes up to Ovechkin on the left side. ( + 1 each ) Nothing comes of the play and Austria surges the other way with Ovechkin down on the ice. Malkin hustled back up the middle as the third man to cover the pass ( + 0.5 ) . The Austrian left winger on the far outside scores an incredibly bad angle goal on a wobbly shot that the announcer even admitted Sokolov should have stopped.

Ovechkin later positions himself well, looking for a loose puck at the goal crease ( + 0.5 ) after Afinogenov shows great hustle, grit and determination surging from the right baords through traffic, making the Austrian defender take a penalty to stop him. No shot by anyone on the play. (Russia only had 4 shots in the first 15 minutes of the period. The top two lines were sitting back on a one-goal lead and only late in the period turned it on to score when the game became tied.)

Malkin makes another surge up the ice with the puck, going up the middle, then to the right side, making a fine pass to Afinogenov coming across the middle ( + 1 ). Afinogenov gets stripped of the puck by the defender but the announcer takes the moment to praise Malkin's created scoring opportunity.

Ovechkin spins and makes a good shot on net from the left circle ( + 1 ) but then later on the shift doesn't get off the ice on the line change, staying deep in the offensive zone, then doesn't try to stop Setzinger ( - 0.5, these acts together make him partially responsible for what happened next) who recovers the puck deep in the Austrian zone and Setzinger goes coast to coast (!) past Ovechkin and the new line that'd just stepped out on the ice for a highlight Setzinger play that almost ended in a goal.

Ovechkin goes to the net late after Afinogenov brings the puck through traffic and crashes at the crease. (It's not clear, even upon review, whether Ovechkin should have gone to the net earlier, or whether he was positioned well for the rebound. It was messy play and everyone ended up on their butts. So no points either way. Just a strange play that stood out.)

So, for the third period, in terms of observed good plays by the two youngsters: 4.5 to Malkin, 3 to Ovechkin.

--------------

For the entire game:

Malkin-Ovechkin
3 - 2.5
2 - 1
4.5 - 3
=
9.5 - 6.5

The numbers are only used to get relative comparisons. One point is simply one observed good play. Just like the first two times I watched that game, Malkin IMPRESSED more even though Ovechkin is the one who got a goal.

I will re-watch every other Russian game for the tourney and point out likewise. It will become clear that those of us who did observe Malkin as the MOST impressive youngster on the ice for team russia aren't myopic fans. Indeed, many who were impressed like me had no opinion of Malkin or Ovechkin beforehand.

I do need to say that this NHL season Ovechkin has impressed me a lot more than he did in the WC. He is being much more physical in the NHL and plays his best when the game is on the line late in the third and in overtime.

while the effort is appreciated I think this is kind of pointless....for example you are giving +1 for deking or a nice skate up ice....and the same +1 for scoring a goal. Just doesnt make sense to me...also, like I said earlier, one would expect that a center would be seen more deep in the defensive zone as that is almost always his responsibility....just like a winger will generally be deeper in the offensive zone. Not sure why that is a surprise to you.....but in any case, i'll keep reading if you keep posting......Just dont think the point system youve come up with is justified

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Mothra said:
while the effort is appreciated I think this is kind of pointless....for example you are giving +1 for deking or a nice skate up ice....and the same +1 for scoring a goal. Just doesnt make sense to me...also, like I said earlier, one would expect that a center would be seen more deep in the defensive zone as that is almost always his responsibility....just like a winger will generally be deeper in the offensive zone. Not sure why that is a surprise to you.....but in any case, i'll keep reading if you keep posting......Just dont think the point system youve come up with is justified
Why bother then?

Scouting is about looking at good play. A goal is sometimes worth LESS than a deking end-to-end surge up the ice with the puck - IF YOU TASK IS TO EVALUATE TALENT.

Malkin impressed more than Ovechkin in the WC. At least for some of us who watched every game. I did a play-by-play of the first game to show exactly how they both impressed, but one more than the other.

I am disappointed that you took the 'cop out' approach. Nothing will convince you. I won't even try anymore.

I don't doubt what I saw in all those WC games and neither does several other guys. Malkin impressed us immensely, even though the scoring stats don't reflect it completely. The guy will be a superstar.

Ovechkin is demonstrating this season in the NHL that he too will be a superstar. Crosby is a superstar.

End of contribution to thread.

G'day.

Jakethesnake

May 27, 2003
Sydney
Visit site
Hey mothra whats your vandetta agsint VanIslander?? Can someone please pull him off VanIslander?

Whats so hard to understand that VanIslander thinks Malkin showed more talent than Malkin?? Its not rocket surgery here.

Have you never seem a game where a player may have had 10 shots, was flying around the ice and was just overall awesome, and his teammate scores 1 crappy goal from a tap in. Who had the better game? Im not saying that was exactly happen in the above game, but its what VanIslander is trying to show. Malkin showed a ton of skill without putting up the points of ovechkin. Sheesh

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Jakethesnake said:
Hey mothra whats your vandetta agsint VanIslander?? Can someone please pull him off VanIslander?

Whats so hard to understand that VanIslander thinks Malkin showed more talent than Malkin?? Its not rocket surgery here.

Have you never seem a game where a player may have had 10 shots, was flying around the ice and was just overall awesome, and his teammate scores 1 crappy goal from a tap in. Who had the better game? Im not saying that was exactly happen in the above game, but its what VanIslander is trying to show. Malkin showed a ton of skill without putting up the points of ovechkin. Sheesh

didnt realize I had any sort of vendetta against anyone.....and I dont remember saying anything bad about Malkin either.....so where are you coming from with all of this? a good example....

"In their own end Malkin went into the corners a few times while Ovechkin stayed back near the net. You could always see who Malkin's man was. With Ovechkin you weren't always sure who he was covering defensively, though he may have been eyeing someone from a distance. Defensively in the second period of the first game of the WC, Malkin is clearly deserving of praise ( +1 )."

As I have mentioned a couple times now....the above describes typical coverage in the defensive zone, but he credits Malkin with +1 because "You could always see who Malkin's man was"...

He has already said that Malkin was the better player in the tourny....I think what he is doing now is looking at it with that already in mind....whether he realizes it or not....and using a point system to back that up

he also said ovechkin's "stats are misleading"....all I asked was what was misleading about them....I have yet to see an answer

I dont think I am on anyones back.....just asking them to explain a few things

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->