Opening that old can of worms: Recent Malkin reporting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Malkin missing

Not only do the Pittsburgh Penguins boast the best young player in the National Hockey League in Sidney Crosby, they also own the rights to perhaps the best young player outside the league -- Evgeni Malkin, the second player chosen in the 2003 entry draft behind the Washington Capitals' dynamic Calder Trophy candidate, Alexander Ovechkin. Good as Ovechkin has been this season, there are some in Russia who believe that Malkin is the better long-term prospect, and may even be ahead of Ovechkin already. Last August, the Penguins worked feverishly to coax Malkin into signing an NHL contract. Part owner and team captain Mario Lemieux even telephoned him to see whether he was interested. In the end, Malkin decided to stay home, then try the NHL next year. Malkin is second in the Russian league in scoring, and his team, Metallurg Magnitogorsk, is in first place. "He's just been dominant," Magnitogorsk coach Dave King said. "I've coached [Eric] Lindros and I've coached other young people [such as Rick Nash] and this guy is something special. In one-on-one drills, he just evaporates as he goes past a defender. He has the ability to see the plays in front of him and also sense the pressure coming from behind. It's almost Gretzky-like. He's really the best player in the league."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20051029/DUHA29/TPSports/Hockey

Not trolling, or trying not to anyways, but this article has so much combustibility buried in it that it was impossible not to post. ;)

That said, nice to hear that Malkin is coming along well in the opinion of a few in the know.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
For as good as Crosby & Ovechkin are, already, it seems like it would be impossible to say this...but I still will because I firmly believe it.

Malkin will end up being better than both.

There may be some bias in it(but you do also have to take note that Crosby is a Penguin as well), but I feel that Evgeni Malkin will be the best player in the NHL at one point or another.

Just picturing Malkin and Crosby together makes me need a new pair of pants.

Reactions: Casanova

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Tjardus Greidanus said:
Just picturing Malkin and Crosby together makes me need a new pair of pants.

Probably opposing goalies will as well.

Anksun

Dec 13, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
I was one of the strong supporters of Malkin in whatever malkin/ovechkin discussion.

I'm still one, but imo Ovechkin will increased the gap between those 2 this year while playing in the nhl. Malkin might turn out to be the better player, but he'll need more time to close the gap than if he would have come this year (which was the best year to came in the nhl in a loooong time)

Mistake there for Pittsburgh imo.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
There are alot of reasons why Malkin isn't in Pittsburgh right now and I don't think anyone really can fairly pinpoint one, or five, reasons why he isn't.

I still feel it had more to do with Metallurg than Malkin. Regardless, Malkin's chances of a Calder are vastly better next year :p:

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Kaizer's post from the Pens board:

Kaizer said:
From 2 interviews with David King about Malkin.

http://www.football-hockey.ru/newspaper/article.asp?id=4667

Well, prepare for my translate :D

Q: - Malkin becomes the leader, he is playing a lot in different situations. Is it obvious progress for you, Surprise?
A :– Malkin – the magnificent player with excellent physics and endurance, he always fights on the ice. It helps for him to develop his leadership qualities, He plays in key situations. Malkin likes to play under pressure. We also try to use his better qualities. Also, I see it, there are tons of free energy. I think, that Malkin is capable to carry this team in PP, SH and ES. We will closely look at his games with national team. Probably, We will provide him some indulgence before these matches and he will be used less in his games for "Metallurg".

Well, my translate is not so literary, but, I think, you got the point :)

http://www.football-hockey.ru/newspaper/article.asp?id=4668

Q : - Can you compare Malkin to someone?
A :– No. Only with Malkin (pause). Maybe – with young Mario Lemieux.

Q : –?!
A :– Same size. The same long hands by which he made all this tricks with puck. I remember well a draft when "Pittsburgh" has chosen Lemieux. When I've seen Malkin the first time, I have felt the same things as there …

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Anksun said:
but he'll need more time to close the gap than if he would have come this year (which was the best year to came in the nhl in a loooong time)

Mistake there for Pittsburgh imo.

I don't think thats true at all. Firstly, Malkin is the same age Ovechkin was in his last season in Russia. When he plays in the NHL doesn't matter, what matters is what he does when he gets there. And without doubt, this season he's playing Russia has been a HUGE developmental process for him where he's become one of the league's elite. I can't imagine how sky-high his confidence is.

And secondly, if you read the article, Malkin decided to stay where he is and then try the NHL route next year. Where did Pittsburgh make the mistake? They wanted to sign him, but he wanted to stay in Russia this season. What can they do? Forge his signature, kidnap him and force him to play?

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
That is overlooked too much. The two were drafted in the same year but Ovechkin was the oldest first year eligible player in the 2004 class while Malkin was one of the youngest.

There's almost a full year difference between them.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
Before the World Championships I had NO OPINION on Malkin and Ovechkin.
After watching every game of the WC (thanks to mediazone's on-demand service) I quickly became a huge Malkin fan. Malkin and Datsyuk (I hate the Red Wings so i admit this begrudgedly) were PHENOMENAL in the WC. Ovechkin didn't impress so much. He bobbled the puck sometimes, often trying to mimic the ineffective rushes of Kovalchuk and Afinogenov, individualistic surges easily turned aside by opposing d-men.

Since May I've thought Malkin is the next Oates, maybe more.

As a non-Penguins fan I'm hoping that Malkin somehow gets traded to one of my fav teams.

I sure hope Malkin plays in the upcoming Olympics!

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
VanIslander said:
After watching every game of the WC (thanks to mediazone's on-demand service) I quickly became a huge Malkin fan. Malkin and Datsyuk (I hate the Red Wings so i admit this begrudgedly) were PHENOMENAL in the WC. Ovechkin didn't impress so much. He bobbled the puck sometimes, often trying to mimic the ineffective rushes of Kovalchuk and Afinogenov, individualistic surges easily turned aside by opposing d-men.

How does the teams leading scorer not impress?

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
VanIslander said:

Since May I've thought Malkin is the next Oates, maybe more.

As a non-Penguins fan I'm hoping that Malkin somehow gets traded to one of my fav teams.

I sure hope Malkin plays in the upcoming Olympics!

Malkin blew me away at the WJC. I thought he looked better and showed more potential than SC w/his combination of speed/size/vision. But @ the WC-

Ovechkin finished the WC w/5 goals, 3 assists, leading Russia in points, goals and GWG.

Malkin w/4 assists.

FacelessButcher

Sep 20, 2003
Edmonton
Jaded-Fan said:
Malkin missing

Evgeni Malkin, the second player chosen in the 2003 entry draft

Am I the only one to notice this!? You know your reading a great piece of journalism when you don't even make it out of the first sentence without a glaring error. ;)

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Jacobv2 said:
Ask the coach who made him a healthy scratch.

whatever the reason.....he was sat against Kazakhstan I believe...I still find it difficult to understand how a player that lead his team in scoring (even sitting a meanlingless game) and was among the tourny leaders, didnt impress

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
He was scratched against Czech republic

Those who say that he didn't impress at the WC probably confused him with some other player...

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
TORRUS said:
He was scratched against Czech republic

Those who say that he didn't impress at the WC probably confused him with some other player...

Thanks for the correction....I wasnt sure which game it was.....but yea, how could he not have impressed.....he produced, especially in the elimination games

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
phaneuf_fan_3 said:
Is Malkin elligible for the World Juniors this year? if so will he play in them again?

Yeah, he's eligible. But I remember reading something about Metallurg not releasing him to play because he's too valuable to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->