Only 46% of tickets sold so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
The title say it all.

Here is the article: http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/ne...YcB?slug=ap-turin-monthtogo&prov=ap&type=lgns

''As of last Wednesday, 19 percent of tickets had been sold for skeleton and luge, 46 percent for ice hockey (although that translates to more than 170,000 tickets, and the men's gold medal game is sold out, other than 200 tickets released the day before), and 71 percent for Alpine skiing. The top sellers, percentagewise, are figure skating (86 percent) and speedskating (82). ''

Speedskating at 82%??? :amazed: Dutch invading Torino...

I would expect more interest in ice hockey. After all France, Germany, Switzerland, Austira and many other countries are really near.

Mr Kanadensisk

May 13, 2005
Unfortunately most of the hockey fans in Russia, Slovakia, and the Czech Republic probably can't afford the Olympics, and Sweden and Finland are pretty far away.

SChan*

TORRUS said:
I would expect more interest in ice hockey. After all France, Germany, Switzerland, Austira and many other countries are really near.

they countries generally don't care about hockey. No interest.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
Given where is Torino situated I would still be expecting much more interest. And I think the only good reason is just lack of advertisment. If you read the whole article you'll get a clear picture. The Olympics in Italy are just far from enough advertised.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
TORRUS said:
Given where is Torino situated I would still be expecting much more interest. And I think the only good reason is just lack of advertisment. If you read the whole article you'll get a clear picture. The Olympics in Italy are just far from enough advertised.
The lack of advertisement is definitely there; In Italy the government's support has been lacking in a shameful way, cutting funds and not providing the needed advertisement, especially through the national tv channels. (note that the reigning Italian government is from the right political side while the council of Torino is from the left side..)
During the last month the city of Torino and the region of Piemonte have been forced to launch a lottery and decided to mortcage some of the Olympic structures to pick up money..
It seems clear by now that some of the works going on in the city won't be completed for the Olympics start; there should not be problems for the games' facilities, but some of the city's restructurings that started taking advantage of the Olympic opportunity (and supposed funds) were stagnant..so the tourists/fans will find some works in progress i think.

anyway the biggest problem is by far the tickets' price.
I started a thread here about this subject more than a year ago, but nowadays the search function seems unable to go back more than a couple of months.. :dunno: (everything from the past got lost in some site's crash or what?)

Another problem seems to be that it's very difficult by months already to find accommodations in Torino.

Also, there are conflicting reports at the moment about the percentage of sold tickets. Some sources say higher figures, other even report the tickets for the final have never been available so far through the regular system and they can only be found in some internet sites at HIGHER prices; don't know what's really going on actually.

SChan*

I just read in the papers today that the locals in Turin don't give a damn about Olympics. They're more interested in Juventus soccer and selling old souvenirs from world cup 1990.

os.jpg

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
SectionX said:
I just read in the papers today that the locals in Turin don't give a damn about Olympics. They're more interested in Juventus soccer and selling old souvenirs from world cup 1990.
That's untrue. And if anything they are more interested in Torino soccer than in Juventus soccer (look at their average attendance..)

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
You're right about the ticket price and accomodation. It was really hard to find something. There was nothing left in Torino (for cheap price) so I had to search outside the town. At the end it turned out great. I got a room in some kind of restaurant in a quiet village 20 minutes away from the Torino center. And for very decent price. :yo:

But still, little bit sad all together. I just hope that Olympic spirit won't be missing and that the streets will be full of friendly, happy and colorfull fans! And hopefully Latvian (and also other nordic) girls... :D

shawn_kemp*

thanks for pointing that out guys. I might go to Turin if there are so many tickets left. Sweden-Russia looks pretty good!

SChan*

helicecopter said:
That's untrue. And if anything they are more interested in Torino soccer than in Juventus soccer (look at their average attendance..)

UH MY point was that the turins DONT GIVE A DAMN about olympics. ok? Which is true. There is 0 rush to get tickets.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
SectionX said:
UH MY point was that the turins DONT GIVE A DAMN about olympics. ok? Which is true. There is 0 rush to get tickets.
I think i've already replied to that: That's untrue

At the least, it is a big exaggeration.

With those prices it was a given there would have been no rush to get tickets..

Last edited:

Jazz

SectionX said:
TORRUS said:
Yes and No. Switzerland hockey is near, if not #1. While in general people in France, Germany and Austria hockey is not as popular, it is in the Alps region (in France), and southern Germany where hockey is more popular than the rest of their respective countries, and these regions are closer to Turin.

Austria would show more interest, especially with Vanek doing will in the NHL, but their program is still reeling from relegation in the IHWC to Div I, and failing to qualify for the Olympics when the qualifications were on home ice (they needed a tie in the final game to advance, and lost by one)

Last edited:

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
Lion of the North said:
I would dare to guess that 90% of those 46 are men's hockey, and that women's hockey are "dragging down" the average.

(The article doesnt say but media always try to spin stats in a negative way.)

You might have a point there. I'm even afraid to think about how many spectators will there be during the group stage. :shakehead

RangersFan88*

france germany austria swizerland
SectionX said:

very unfortunately he's right :cry: more hockey interrest plz in germany :bow: :bow:

only soccer al day long :madfire:

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
RangersFan88 said:
france germany austria swizerland

very unfortunately he's right :cry: more hockey interrest plz in germany :bow: :bow:

only soccer al day long :madfire:

LAOLA

HATTRICK - Zweite Bundesliga :biglaugh:

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
Obtaining Olympic tickets at the actual venues for less than what you would have to pay to pre-order them is ridiculously easy. I pre-purchased tickets to both semifinal games, the Bronze medal and Gold medal games in Utah, and wound up able to acquire even better seats at a cheaper price and sell the tickets I had already bought (of course, my profit went out the window when I decided to bag the Russia-Belarus bronze medal tickets, which I couldn't even give away).

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
moneyp said:
Obtaining Olympic tickets at the actual venues for less than what you would have to pay to pre-order them is ridiculously easy. I pre-purchased tickets to both semifinal games, the Bronze medal and Gold medal games in Utah, and wound up able to acquire even better seats at a cheaper price and sell the tickets I had already bought (of course, my profit went out the window when I decided to bag the Russia-Belarus bronze medal tickets, which I couldn't even give away).

Of course, but would you risk and wait? I know I wouldn't...

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
moneyp said:
Obtaining Olympic tickets at the actual venues for less than what you would have to pay to pre-order them is ridiculously easy. I pre-purchased tickets to both semifinal games, the Bronze medal and Gold medal games in Utah, and wound up able to acquire even better seats at a cheaper price and sell the tickets I had already bought
:confused:
and what tells you there will be available tickets at the venues for lower prices this time around??
For the final for example tickets are at the moment not available, and it's that way by a long time now already..
i don't think/knew they would save a percentage of the tickets to sell them at the venue for a lower price.. :dunno:

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
I'm surprised, Olympic tickets for anything are supposidly hard to get. That said, Theres still 3 weeks to go, I'm sure most get bought up.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
SectionX said:

No different than Athens.

blamebettman*

SectionX said:

Interest in Germany is beginning to grow, slowly.

Norway as well, but that's too far from Torino.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad