Online Versus lag / delay

Heia Norge

Mar 14, 2012
Norway
The last week has been terrible, suddenly my rating drops like hell and I can’t win a game anymore. It’s like my opponents players is much faster than my own players. It’s classic server delay.

It’s been like this for years, same problem with NHL14,15,16 and 17. Since I bought a new router last summer it has become much better, but the last week has been terrible, same problem like always.

How much resources and money are EA games using to expand and update their servers? It’s a joke. It completely ruins the online experience of the game. As far as I know FIFA player do not experience a issue like this when playing online.

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
The last week has been terrible, suddenly my rating drops like hell and I can’t win a game anymore. It’s like my opponents players is much faster than my own players. It’s classic server delay.

It’s been like this for years, same problem with NHL14,15,16 and 17. Since I bought a new router last summer it has become much better, but the last week has been terrible, same problem like always.

How much resources and money are EA games using to expand and update their servers? It’s a joke. It completely ruins the online experience of the game. As far as I know FIFA player do not experience a issue like this when playing online.
Do you play wired or wireless? The servers haven’t been bad this year, it’s more likely a problem on your end

Heia Norge

Mar 14, 2012
Norway
Do you play wired or wireless? The servers haven’t been bad this year, it’s more likely a problem on your end
I use wired connection. Do I have to open any ports on the router? (port forwarding)
If so, which ports do I need to configure?

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
I use wired connection. Do I have to open any ports on the router? (port forwarding)
If so, which ports do I need to configure?
You don’t need to open them but if you want to try to open these for PS4 (I don’t know about xb1):
tcp: 3478-3480
Udp-3478,3479

Also try opening your dmz but port opening really only helps with your nat type. Basically there’s 3 different nat types: open, moderate, and strict. If your nat type is open you can host anyone on your connection. Moderate can host people with moderate and strict, and strict can only host strict.

What is your connection speed when you do a speed test, and do you live in a city or rural area? If you’re playing in a rural area your ping is gonna be sky high regardless if you’re wired or wireless

Heia Norge

Mar 14, 2012
Norway
You don’t need to open them but if you want to try to open these for PS4 (I don’t know about xb1):
tcp: 3478-3480
Udp-3478,3479

Also try opening your dmz but port opening really only helps with your nat type. Basically there’s 3 different nat types: open, moderate, and strict. If your nat type is open you can host anyone on your connection. Moderate can host people with moderate and strict, and strict can only host strict.

What is your connection speed when you do a speed test, and do you live in a city or rural area? If you’re playing in a rural area your ping is gonna be sky high regardless if you’re wired or wireless
It seems like many other players have the same issue:
NHL 18 LAG and button DELAY - Answer HQ

Input Lag (Online)
Full Second Delay ONLINE gameplay

However I have managed to temporary get rid of the problem.
I did the following:

· Got my ISP to reset my modem
· Updated router firmware
· Re installed NHL2018 on my PS4
· Open / forwarded ports on router

Everything works fine, for now. Just hope it stays that way.
Anyway thanks for your help.

IceBjoern

Feb 24, 2010
Stockholm
And this is why, for the first time since nhl08, I didn’t buy the game! I also demanded a refund for nhl17 and got it..

JGaudreau

Oct 9, 2015
I had these issues for years, live in Alberta.

I'm on a 150 plan, <30 ping in all other online games, opened and forwarded ports, top of the line router, wired connection.

I contacted EA and they said it's my fault and that it's not a common issue.

Needless to say I'm done with the franchise
forever. When I see a cool looking game and it has EA on the box I say, oh, never mind then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->