One top prospect to avoid

KH1

Which top propsect (i.e. a top 10-15 pick) should teams avoid at the draft this year? Name one.

I will say Bobby Sanguinetti. He's got tons of offensive skill but his defensive game is really nonexistent. You can get what Sanguinetti is gonna give you with a guy like Dick Tarnstrom or Sandzis Ozolynsh. He is in my opinion the beneficiary of a ridiculously weak draft class for defensemen and normally would be taken at the bottom of the first round or the early second.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Ozo had a pretty good carrer and is well worth a middle 1st rounder.

For me the guy to avoid is Jonathan Bernier , he's ok but nowhere near 1st round material from what ive seen.. Maybe he was just not on his game or whatever.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
King Henry I said:
Which top propsect (i.e. a top 10-15 pick) should teams avoid at the draft this year? Name one.

I will say Bobby Sanguinetti. He's got tons of offensive skill but his defensive game is really nonexistent. You can get what Sanguinetti is gonna give you with a guy like Dick Tarnstrom or Sandzis Ozolynsh. He is in my opinion the beneficiary of a ridiculously weak draft class for defensemen and normally would be taken at the bottom of the first round or the early second.

I realize that most will be making assumptions on not having seen these guys. But its statements like these where credibility is lost. This draft class is not ridiculously weak. In fact its very strong. Just because EJ may be the only top tier defenseman to go in the top ten, doesn't mean the rest of the draft is terrible for rearguards.

You've got European guys like Tulupov, Alexandrov, Persson, Ahnelov, Lidstrom and Ruzicka. A BCHL standout in Seabrook. WHL sleeper Greenan. Big men like McCue, Dowzek, DeLory. All USA products in McBain, Williams, Strait, Biega, Mitera, Ratchuk, Fischer, Petry, Lapoint, Sneep. That's not counting Wishart, Sanguinetti, Ryan, Weber, Vishnevsky, Shutron, Peckham, Bohunicky. These are all guys slated to go top 100. Again, this is just a list; its up to further discretion to weed it out but there's alot of flavors, personalities, and styles of games to show that its a strength.

Last edited:

CH Wizard

Jozeph_Balej said:

For me the guy to avoid is Jonathan Bernier , he's ok but nowhere near 1st round material from what ive seen.. Maybe he was just not on his game or whatever.

Bingo.

BDubinskyNYR17*

Jozeph_Balej said:

If the Rangers can get a middle first for Ozo they should do it. Remember he was only dealt for a 3rd that they got from the Sharks for Nieminen. Ozo makes Poti look like a defensive dman. And that is sad, im glad one of them will be gone, hopefully Ozo will follow Poti.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
JOrtmeyer41 said:
If the Rangers can get a middle first for Ozo they should do it. Remember he was only dealt for a 3rd that they got from the Sharks for Nieminen. Ozo makes Poti look like a defensive dman. And that is sad, im glad one of them will be gone, hopefully Ozo will follow Poti.

I think he means that as a first round pick, Ozo has had a good career making it a decent selection. There's no way Rangers could even think about a 1st, let alone 2nd, barely recoup that 3rd.

hoppy

EK65
Jun 11, 2006
St. John's
Indeed..
The only liability I see is his size.
But he makes up for that in work ethic.
Daniel Briere if you must

*I'm an Emmerton homer btw*

KH1

Jozeph_Balej said:

Still, I wouldn't use a top 10 pick on a guy whose best case scenario is a tiny bit better than Ozo, but could very easily bomb out.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
King Henry I said:
Still, I wouldn't use a top 10 pick on a guy whose best case scenario is a tiny bit better than Ozo, but could very easily bomb out.

fact is that Ozo will have a career better then roughly 2/3 of the first round picks in any average draft. Take away the top ten picks and that number lessens even more.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Sanguinetti gives me a very Chris O'Sullivan-type vibe. NHL puck skills don't mean much if you're soft as butter from the hash marks down.

Frolik's lack of production against men in the Czech league is a non-issue, but his failures to accomplish anything against his peers at the WJCs and U-18s are a huge red flag. He's set for a huge slide.

Patrik Berglund is what seems like the annual case of the tall, raw Euro center making a huge late run up the rankings despite not having accomplished much (see Hanzal, Holmqvist, Antropov, Novotny, Yakubov).

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
boredmale said:
fact is that Ozo will have a career better then roughly 2/3 of the first round picks in any average draft. Take away the top ten picks and that number lessens even more.

Probably closer to 9/10 #1 picks. Christ, the guy played in 7 All-star games, was a huge component of a Cup winner, and was a First-Team All-Star in 1997.

Yeah, his last couple seasons have sucked, but he was a hell of a player for most of the 1990s.

Transported Upstater

King Henry I said:

I'm not a Sanguinetti fan either.

But then again, the only defenseman I really like in this draft is EJ.

inferno98

Mar 22, 2006
MS said:
Sanguinetti gives me a very Chris O'Sullivan-type vibe. NHL puck skills don't mean much if you're soft as butter from the hash marks down.

Frolik's lack of production against men in the Czech league is a non-issue, but his failures to accomplish anything against his peers at the WJCs and U-18s are a huge red flag. He's set for a huge slide.

Patrik Berglund is what seems like the annual case of the tall, raw Euro center making a huge late run up the rankings despite not having accomplished much (see Hanzal, Holmqvist, Antropov, Novotny, Yakubov).

If Sanguinetti could put on some weight he could be a hitter, i know in the playoffs he laid a couple of people out pretty good, he just doesnt seem to have a chip on his shoulder or seem to have heart sometimes but if he can get this which really cant be taught, he could be a real solid defense man who also can light the lamp

KH1

boredmale said:
Fine, perhaps I'm underestimating Ozo. That's not the point.

What I'm trying to say is that Sanguinetti is going to be a one dimensional offensive defenseman who has a very good chance of never making the NHL regularly. Therefore he's not worth a top 10 pick.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Battochio30 said:
True, but he also has one of the highest ceiling of anyone in this draft year.

Froliks only problem right now is confidence. Frolik was miss handled this year and he took a blow from it, he is better than alot of guys in this draft, but if he is not playing with confidence then he is not going to perform even at the U18s. If a team takes him top 10 this year they will not be disapointed, and if a team gets him late first they will really be laughin in the future. Frolik will get his confidence back in Rimouski next year and watch for him to be a star in the making who could turn out to be the best talent from this draft.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
misfit said:
I agree. He should be avoided until around the 45th pick or so.

Hmmm... 45th? Interesting number. How'd you come up with that one? ;)

I'd like to see that too, but I just don't think it'll happen.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
I think Kessel is the guy to avoid. Both ways. You cannot really passs him up. And at the same time you cannot really take him with so many other good players out there. If you are picking 4-7 you just hope he his gone.

Like Randy Moss or Tim Couch. Sorry i know football much better than hockey. (Insert the pun now. I know you are thinking it.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad