Speculation: One top 2 or two top 4

Would you prefer one top 2 D man or two top 4 D men?

• Total voters

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
The Leafs are trying to shed cap space, which has many people thinking they are going to make an offer to Alex Pietrangelo if he hits free agency. Given that their cap is so limited and that there are a number of decent defence options this year, would the leafs be better off splurging on AP or acquiring two of those decent D men? If you are a fan of another, you can leave your opinion on the matter, and why you think whatever it is you think.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I think the Leafs would be better with AP then a combo of any 2 of the other free agent D - but given the Leafs cap structure I think they are better off going after 2 lesser D. There have been 6000 RHD to TO threads but a name I never see mentioned is Justin Braun. He's unrestricted and a RHD. Something like Gudas and Braun or Bogosian and DeMelo would be pretty helpful to the Leafs.

Reactions: CanadianHawks

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
A top-4 is way easier to find/acquire than a top-2. You can build around a top-2, not a top-4.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
We saw how Barrie and Ceci worked out, and all the other mid tier d-men they brought in the last 10 years...Komisarek, Beauchemin, Hainsey, Zaitsev, Ozhiganov, Phaneuf, etc.

Time to go after a big fish.

Depth d-men play better when they aren't forced into a top 2 role.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
The Leafs are trying to shed cap space, which has many people thinking they are going to make an offer to Alex Pietrangelo if he hits free agency. Given that their cap is so limited and that there are a number of decent defence options this year, would the leafs be better off splurging on AP or acquiring two of those decent D men? If you are a fan of another, you can leave your opinion on the matter, and why you think whatever it is you think.

I thought they would be better off going after 2 top 4 rhd, but someone pointed out to me that one of our top 4 dmen would have to be left exposed when the expansion draft takes place.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
If they want to sign him, I'm available for League minimum :laugh:

I'm a rightie too :naughty:

But tbh you need several good D to win, Riley, Pietro and Muzzin paired with Sandin,Liljegren and 1 more vet D might be balanced enough work. I just don't know how you make a bottom 6 thats not old and slow or a bunch of rookies.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
We saw how Barrie and Ceci worked out, and all the other mid tier d-men they brought in the last 10 years...Komisarek, Beauchemin, Hainsey, Zaitsev, Ozhiganov, Phaneuf, etc.

Time to go after a big fish.

Depth d-men play better when they aren't forced into a top 2 role.
Ceci was not a top 4 tho

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
I voted 2 top4, but at least one of them would have to be a legit 3/borderline 2, shutdown RD.

AP would be a bad idea because they can't survive spending half their cap on 4 players no matter how good they are.

the Chad Kilger

Apr 30, 2020
a minute muncher #1RD like AP is way more valuable particularly to the leafs. the cap situation makes it difficult but I'd be all in to make this work. sacrificial lambs are johnnson and freddy for picks. try to acquire a goalie that wont break the bank (kuemper, Greiss, Khudobin,)

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
a minute muncher #1RD like AP is way more valuable particularly to the leafs. the cap situation makes it difficult but I'd be all in to make this work. sacrificial lambs are johnnson and freddy for picks. try to acquire a goalie that wont break the bank (kuemper, Greiss, Khudobin,)

This is why the Leafs dont win. They want to pay 5 playere $60 million and expect the other 16 players sharing a combined $25 million to be good contributors.

In fact TML are a great example of American economics. Blame and punish the poor (secondary scoring and 2nd/3rd pair D) when things go wrong but the ultra rich (Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander, *potentially AP*) are definitely not the problem.

Their greed is the problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad