One piece vs. shaft

Iron

Nov 21, 2006
I need to buy a new stick and I've been looking at both shafts and one pieces. My questions is would I be better off with a shaft like the easton cyclone or a one piece such as the easton synergy 300

If I was to get the one piece and the blade gets wrecked would I be able to cut it off and make it a shaft?

Also are there other sticks that you guys would reccomend around the price range of the two I mentioned. I've never had a one piece before so I'm not sure whats the best or anything.

Doctor Hook

Mar 11, 2006
Boston
You can make a shaft from a broken one piece. You need to find the fuse point (where blade meets shaft) and cut. I've never done it myself since I'm a shaft user.

With that being said, I'd recommend the Bauer Endure shaft. It's around the price range you listed, and it's extremely durable and light. I like composite shafts because you can try out different blades and see what works. And if a blade breaks, then it's not an issue to replace it.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

May 15, 2003
E-town
I'm likely going to switch back from a straight one-piece (My trusty Synergy that I've had since it first came out mind you) to a shaft and composite blade. This is probably because of the type of player I am (mainly defence, reliant on my slapshot and high traffic, but still needing a lighter stick as I'm not the greatest stickhandler).

Easton Ultra-Lite 110 and Easton ST blade is my ideal combo. Reasonable and sturdy.

Towelie*

I have gone through 3 Synergy SL's. Great sticks, but they are break easily. I am now using the last Synergy SL's shaft with a blade. It works reasonably well, and I have no complaints.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
I like the Bauer Endure one-piece. I always prefer one-pieces - I haven't used a shaft/blade combo since the first z-bubble came out. I think that one-pieces have a better feel through the shaft. They're easy enough to convert into a shaft if you have to and they tend to, in my opinion, let you feel the puck a little more.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
With a OPS, you can cut off the blade and insert a replacement blade into the butt end of the stick. That process can be a lot easier than getting the blade/hosel completely out.

Most of stick companies are offering shaft + blade versions of their OPS. Synergy's have their Synthesis counterparts. The Dolomite comes in OP or shaft/blade.

Between the Cyclone and a price point stick like the Synergy 300/350, I'd personally go with the Cyclone. It's the lightest shaft in Easton's catalogue. Depending on which blade you get, it would definitely be lighter but maybe not as balanced.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
I have gone through 3 Synergy SL's. Great sticks, but they are break easily. I am now using the last Synergy SL's shaft with a blade. It works reasonably well, and I have no complaints.

I broke five Synergy SL's (I'd ordered a half dozen) and still have one left but I switched to CCM Vector 10.0's and find them to be surprisingly durable. Besides lasting through the normal wear and tear I put on my sticks there have been a few instances where I was positive my stick was about to snap and it surprised the hell out of me and showed a lot of resilience. I could feel the stick flexing under my weight and was just waiting for the sound of it cracking but it didn't. I've stuck with the Vectors for a little less than a year now.

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO
To answer the OP's question: a Cyclone shaft is far better than the 350. The 350 is a price point stick... I have one of the original cyclones and it is still a good shaft.

Towelie*

I broke five Synergy SL's (I'd ordered a half dozen) and still have one left but I switched to CCM Vector 10.0's and find them to be surprisingly durable. Besides lasting through the normal wear and tear I put on my sticks there have been a few instances where I was positive my stick was about to snap and it surprised the hell out of me and showed a lot of resilience. I could feel the stick flexing under my weight and was just waiting for the sound of it cracking but it didn't. I've stuck with the Vectors for a little less than a year now.

Vectors are surprisingly durable. I remember I had one of the first generation Vectors and it lasted me an entire season. Granted, I was 5 or 6 years younger and I weighed less and would invariably put less pressure on the stick. Held up great.

I think I may try the new Reebok one piece out, the green one (not with holes). I heard they are more durable then the SL. Hard to beat the SL though, best performing stick I have ever had.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
With a OPS, you can cut off the blade and insert a replacement blade into the butt end of the stick. That process can be a lot easier than getting the blade/hosel completely out.
Most of stick companies are offering shaft + blade versions of their OPS. Synergy's have their Synthesis counterparts. The Dolomite comes in OP or shaft/blade.

Between the Cyclone and a price point stick like the Synergy 300/350, I'd personally go with the Cyclone. It's the lightest shaft in Easton's catalogue. Depending on which blade you get, it would definitely be lighter but maybe not as balanced.

By doing that you completely ruin the way the stick feels and shoots. While it may be alot easier the stick is designed to be used taper down. Its not that hard to heat up a OPS and pull the broken blade out. Most are fused and come apart like a blade and shaft combo do.

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
Yes /\ Try heating it and give it a nice tug. If not, cut it so there's a lot of the shaft left and chisel out the remainder of the blade.

As to the original post, I've gone with both. As a noob, having the interchangability with the shafts is nice...but the downside is that finding composite blades sucks and they generally cost quite a bit. For a price of a nice composite blade, you can get a price point one piece. If your just playing adult league, that'll work just fine IMO. I'd recommend the NBH Vapor V2 if you wanted to go for a cheap one piece. Some people on this board recommended it, and it's worked out well for me. www.hockey.lax.com has them reallly cheap, $45.

Iron

Nov 21, 2006
Thanks for all the replys. I'm gonna look into all the sticks that people have reccomened.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
Yes /\ Try heating it and give it a nice tug. If not, cut it so there's a lot of the shaft left and chisel out the remainder of the blade.

As to the original post, I've gone with both. As a noob, having the interchangability with the shafts is nice...but the downside is that finding composite blades sucks and they generally cost quite a bit. For a price of a nice composite blade, you can get a price point one piece. If your just playing adult league, that'll work just fine IMO. I'd recommend the NBH Vapor V2 if you wanted to go for a cheap one piece. Some people on this board recommended it, and it's worked out well for me. www.hockey.lax.com has them reallly cheap, $45.

I'll second that. Surprisingly well balanced for a price point stick.

Not sure if you can still find them, but the Louisville TSP Rubber Response is a decent stick. Think I paid $60 for mine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->