The Athletic - Boston One of hockey's biggest What Ifs involves the Bruins

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I'd throw 1993 in there too......I've never been more disgusted with a Bruins team than I was with that playoff (non)performance.

We could have beaten Montreal that year and I would have loved our chances against LA.

I don't know, when a team doesn't win a single playoff game I don't consider it a Cup that got away.

Last edited:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I'd throw 1993 in there too......I've never been more disgusted with a Bruins team than I was with that playoff (non)performance.

We could have beaten Montreal that year and I would have loved our chances against LA.

Can't say it was a Cup lost when they were swept in Round 1

7dWp.gif

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Can't say it was a Cup lost when they were swept in Round 1

7dWp.gif

What even happened in 1993 anyway? I was a bit too young, didn't start watching until 1995.

The team looked great on paper. They won their last 8 games of the season, like 16 of the last 18 if I'm counting right. They were red hot, it was by far Oates' highest scoring season. Neely came back healthy for the playoffs. Top line was extremely productive in the playoffs.

How on earth did Buffalo sweep them? Moog got completely sandblasted in his starts, was it him, was it the defense leaving him out to dry? I wouldn't think a team with a defense of Bourque, Wesley, Sweeney, Shaw, and Roberts would get demolished like that.

Was it just a fluke, total team failure, did the coaching staff lose control of the team? Were there some bad eggs in the lockerroom? Or just a case of shit happens sometimes and it's unexplainable.

Harry Sinden seemed to have made Moog the scapegoat for it. But not living through it and only seeing it through box scores, I can't make sense of how that team lost. Buffalo had some elite scoring that year with Mogilny/Lafontaine. Even then, giving up 5 goals a game is ugly.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
What even happened in 1993 anyway? I was a bit too young, didn't start watching until 1995.

The team looked great on paper. They won their last 8 games of the season, like 16 of the last 18 if I'm counting right. They were red hot, it was by far Oates' highest scoring season. Neely came back healthy for the playoffs. Top line was extremely productive in the playoffs.

How on earth did Buffalo sweep them? Moog got completely sandblasted in his starts, was it him, was it the defense leaving him out to dry? I wouldn't think a team with a defense of Bourque, Wesley, Sweeney, Shaw, and Roberts would get demolished like that.

Was it just a fluke, total team failure, did the coaching staff lose control of the team? Were there some bad eggs in the lockerroom? Or just a case of shit happens sometimes and it's unexplainable.

Harry Sinden seemed to have made Moog the scapegoat for it. But not living through it and only seeing it through box scores, I can't make sense of how that team lost. Buffalo had some elite scoring that year with Mogilny/Lafontaine. Even then, giving up 5 goals a game is ugly.

Brian Sutter would coach 2 more years and then they hired Steve Kasper :help:

Kasper was behind the bench for this epic disaster - Fred and Derek were speechless

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Harry was very close to trading Bourque & Juneau for Lindros & Foote when Lindros was drafted and wouldn’t go to Nordiques

lindros & a healthy Neely would hsve been epic
my god

Maybe there are fewer runs at Lindros' head if Neely is on the ice with him.

Reactions: bbfan419 and DKH

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA

Kasper was behind the bench for this epic disaster - Fred and Derek were speechless

I'm unsure if the Steve Kasper era or the Dave Lewis era was worse. Both were in way over their heads.

I was 10 when Creighton was the coach. I seem to recall the B's didn't have alot of spark, kind of like when Bowness took over from Mibury. But I wasn't exactly up to speed on Creighton's coaching skills at that age.

Reactions: BMC and bbfan419

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border

Don Sweeney had his finger prints all over that come-back by the Stars, sad thing is when I look at Kasper behind the Bench I see Sweeney 2.0

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Biggest what if is still the 2015 draft and offseason. What if the bruins don't waste picks on mostly trash and sign Beleskey and Irwin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad