Recalled/Assigned: Ondrej Pavelec recalled

Status
Not open for further replies.

trebendan

Aug 13, 2010
It honestly blows my mind that this deal wasn't made. It would have been an absolute win-win. Isles get Halak off the books for next season and save 600K in cap space this season by taking on Pavelec. Jets get the perfect guy to run in a one-two punch with Hellebuyck for this season and next.

Maybe the Isles feel they can get a late pick for Halak in a trade with some team that needs a goalie to expose? That's the only explanation I can think of for why the Isles wouldn't do it.

The Pav for Halak deal could still be made. We'll see what happens March 1st. Or it could be Hutchinson for Halak, which I'd also be OK with, even tho the Jets would have to expose Halak in the XD. By the way, Halak is doing quite well in the A: .927 save % & 2.03 GAA in 10 games.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
The Pav for Halak deal could still be made. We'll see what happens March 1st. Or it could be Hutchinson for Halak, which I'd also be OK with, even tho the Jets would have to expose Halak in the XD. By the way, Halak is doing quite well in the A: .927 save % & 2.03 GAA in 10 games.

The thing is.... this fan base always awaits some kind of big splash and come TD Chevy hibernates.
To expect different is crazy.
PROVE US WRONG CHEVY

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Garret.

Please.

Get involved with the Jets.

We can petition Chevy, whatever team you're with be damned.

One of us. One of us.:help::help::help:

There will be people on the Jets staff who are saying things similar to what Garret is saying. The best case scenario is that everyone from Cheveldayoff down is aware of these things. I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that they are aware and they do value them, but their decisions are also going to be based on inputs that aren't in the data.

This could especially be the case when your top priority is to develop someone like Hellebuyck.

If I had the money to buy a team, I would hire Garrett9. I've heard from insiders that many times teams pick personnel out of loyalty, reputation, etc rather than actual job performance.

Wouldn't your hiring of Garret, instead of any of the other number stats companies, be an act of loyalty toward someone you've already got a relationship with?

I heard some people say Halak has some personality issues with teammates. No clue the legitimacy on it since it came from media members and not hockey ops members.

Obviously if his name has a G in front of it he's a bit of a head case already (what position did you say you played again, Garret? ;)) but in Halak's case in particular I remember that weird saga where Oates actually said to the media that Halak didn't want to play the Blues right after being traded. (If you can believe it, Allan Walsh actually offered his thoughts on the matter, in a rare move for him--:sarcasm:--suggesting that the relationship was not on great footing.)

Odd, though possibly not entirely relevant.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
There will be people on the Jets staff who are saying things similar to what Garret is saying. The best case scenario is that everyone from Cheveldayoff down is aware of these things. I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that they are aware and they do value them, but their decisions are also going to be based on inputs that aren't in the data.

This could especially be the case when your top priority is to develop someone like Hellebuyck.

Wouldn't your hiring of Garret, instead of any of the other number stats companies, be an act of loyalty toward someone you've already got a relationship with?

Obviously if his name has a G in front of it he's a bit of a head case already (what position did you say you played again, Garret? ;)) but in Halak's case in particular I remember that weird saga where Oates actually said to the media that Halak didn't want to play the Blues right after being traded. (If you can believe it, Allan Walsh actually offered his thoughts on the matter, in a rare move for him--:sarcasm:--suggesting that the relationship was not on great footing.)

Odd, though possibly not entirely relevant.

On hiring people I heard a funny story of a team once posting for a "stats guy" position publicly and then didn't even have interviews. It was a sham just to promote one of their own people but HR/marketing wanted them to post the job.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Helle and Halak on a 1/2 punch would be awesome.

More like middling. Helly is 30th in the league with .908 SV%, Halak is 35th with .905 SV%. Lets reserve awesome for one of the good goalies. Like the guy we will be facing on Tuesday with a .932 SV%.

TheGovernment

Jan 13, 2012
More like middling. Helly is 30th in the league with .908 SV%, Halak is 35th with .905 SV%. Lets reserve awesome for one of the good goalies. Like the guy we will be facing on Tuesday with a .932 SV%.

Halak is having an off year, not the end of the world.... Remember the guy on Tuesday was considered the worst goalie in the league for a few years.....

Sperss1997

Oct 29, 2015
Aarhus
Halaks numbers are fine with a carreer .916 save%.

His numbers have been dropping the last few years but that is not what worries me the most. He is a small guy and with new equipment rules that could easily be a a problem.

Otherwise Halak will be a huge upgrade to what Jets 2.0 ever had. Im not that attached to Hellebuyck - let him be exposed if you get a decent+ goalie before the X-draft.

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
What is the status of Lehner? I've always lilked his compete -level. If the swords are in this year it's off, but what if they we'rent? JUst askin

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Im not that attached to Hellebuyck - let him be exposed if you get a decent+ goalie before the X-draft.

Let him be exposed if you can get a top ten goalie at a good price.

You can't.

What is the status of Lehner? I've always lilked his compete -level. If the swords are in this year it's off, but what if they we'rent? JUst askin

They paid a mint for him and he's having a very good season.

Good luck.

(For the record, he's a nice example of patience paying off. Excelled at every level including the AHL, showed inconsistency and some really questionable single game performances over his first stretch... and has grown into a very respectable .922 over his last ~1600 shots.)

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
Let him be exposed if you can get a top ten goalie at a good price.

You can't.

They paid a mint for him and he's having a very good season.

Good luck.

(For the record, he's a nice example of patience paying off. Excelled at every level including the AHL, showed inconsistency and some really questionable single game performances over his first stretch... and has grown into a very respectable .922 over his last ~1600 shots.)

Then it's up to TNSE to find an equivalent goaler. They can't keep hanging the boys out to dry! I'm a Helle believer but maybe that's because I've had nothing else to believe in. Other than Pokey and the Bandit I mean.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Fun facts part 2 -
- Pavelec has won games
- Helle wasn't winning games - in fact, he was losing them early in the first before being pulled.
- Haven't seen Pavs play in many of the tighter, low scoring games (if any) - hard to compare
- Helle has stopped more pucks that happen to hit him in the chest - other wise, they are likely going in (especially on the glove side)

I've tried to make this a more recent comp - since Pavs has only played a few. Fun facts aside, IMO Helle needs more time on the farm - he doesn't look comfortable out there (recently). I'm not a Pavs fan - this is all based on what I am seeing now.

Fun Facts:

-Pavelec record: 4-3-0, 3.34 GAA, 0.895 Saving %
-Hellebuyck record: 17-13-1, 2.82 GAA, 0.908 Saving %

-More pucks hit Helle in the chest because he is in position to makes saves. Pavelec is notorious for being out of position, so that is a positive for Hellebuyck

-Pavelec would be in more low-scoring games, if he was playing better, and made more saves

-Your "facts" are called "opinions" since the facts disprove what you are saying.

Hellebuyck definitely does not need more time in the AHL. That would not solve anything, unless the Jets wanted to tank the season. He has been the best Jets goalie since 2015. The "eye test" is inferior to statistics.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Makes too much sense, Hank.

Either our management is too cheap or stupid to pull the trigger on that. That is very sad.

Remember Halak in the World Cup? The guy was friggin otherworldly. He is the single reason they weren't round robin fodder.

The savings that the Isles make on that deal I think more than compensates for the late pick. Hell, I would have thrown one of those in, too. Pavs *should have been* a sunk cost anyway.

Nailed it.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
How much is Steve Mason going to make next year? I think he's a better bet than Halak.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
How much is Steve Mason going to make next year? I think he's a better bet than Halak.

Why? He's been worse this year than Halak. His career sv% is quite a lot worse than Halak's, .910 to .916. Both are having off years but it is hard to see a reason for preferring Mason. Mason is a UFA. He is making 4.1 mil this year. Hard to say what he will sign for next year. Probably less than Halak's 5 mil but he will want more than 1 year. Halak's timing works out well for Jets. 1 more year and he is gone. Out of the way.

Villert

Dec 29, 2009
Fun facts part 2 -
- Pavelec has won games
- Helle wasn't winning games - in fact, he was losing them early in the first before being pulled.
- Haven't seen Pavs play in many of the tighter, low scoring games (if any) - hard to compare
- Helle has stopped more pucks that happen to hit him in the chest - other wise, they are likely going in (especially on the glove side)

I've tried to make this a more recent comp - since Pavs has only played a few. Fun facts aside, IMO Helle needs more time on the farm - he doesn't look comfortable out there (recently). I'm not a Pavs fan - this is all based on what I am seeing now.

I had a big thing written. But.. I just can't... just view the stats and stuff alright? Hard to comprehend... so confused by this. He's so bad. Mugatu. Crazy pills?

Last edited:

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Pavelec is the worst goalie ever to have played this amount of games.

That's on Jets Management and Coaching.

FUN FACTS Helle vs Pavs:

Better Sv% Career: Helle
Better Win% Career: Helle
Better Sv% January: Helle
Better Quality Start% 16/17: Helle

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Tsn posted a video saying Jets are happy with Pavs play so far. 895 save percentage and 334 GAA and they are happy. This is quite troubling for so many reasons

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Pavelec is the worst goalie ever to have played this amount of games.

That's on Jets Management and Coaching.

FUN FACTS Helle vs Pavs:

Better Sv% Career: Helle
Better Win% Career: Helle
Better Sv% January: Helle
Better Quality Start% 16/17: Helle

Only 1 goalie since the stat has been available (2007) has <50% QS% and >250 starts:
C4AxvDcUEAAesOn.jpg:large

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
The thing is.... this fan base always awaits some kind of big splash and come TD Chevy hibernates.
To expect different is crazy.
PROVE US WRONG CHEVY

Remember the year that Chevy trotted out Stu as our whopper TD signing? LOL! He re-signed him early on TD day to make it look like he was doing something important at the deadline. Huge overpay for a marginal player. Good for Stu and his agent Stu has tremendous heart and soul but is lost in today's fast game.

Anyway, I'll never forget the 'big news' from that day. LOL .

Probably way off topic. Sorry . Was responding to another poster's comment in this Pav thread. Delete if you need to, Mr. Moderator Sir.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->