Ondrej Kase is probably one of the better young players you don't know about

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
It's weird how when a new late round pick established himself as an everyday NHL player it's a big deal, but when a 1st round pick has the same numbers he is a bust....

That's some top notch diminishing you're doing there. How many former 7th round picks are scoring at a .70 PPG clip while playing on a third line? My guess is not many. Kase is fourth in scoring on a team that has Getzlaf, Perry, Fowler, Lindholm, Rakell, Henrique, Silfverberg, and Montour. "Everyday player" is not a fair descriptor. "everyday players" don't score at almost a 60 point pace while being 19th on their teams in TOI/G.

Also I don't think anyone thinks a first rounder with 30 points in 43 games is a bust...

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
He's a 7th liner? So he's an AHL 3rd liner?

On a serious note, Kase is a Shark killer and I believe he was already a Shark killer in his rookie year despite less than stellar overall production against the other 28 (at the time) NHL teams, so you don't have to fill me in on him. He's a hell of a player.

As a 205th overall pick, he's already in some good company with Pavelski and Lundqvist.
I meant rounder

Mallard

Apr 19, 2017
Canada
I must admit I was not a big believer before this season but he has been a nice surprise and I will admit I was wrong.

He and Gibson have been the only really bright spots this year until we got Henrique.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
At some point during his rookie year I stated that I thought he could have Justin Williams type career. Maybe not a perfect comparison in terms of playing style (close enough I guess), but I think Kase can have a similar impact as a 2nd line winger and consistent producer.

Always liked him when I saw him at one of those young tournaments while scouting Vrana and I think it was Spacek. Thought he was a steal where he was picked. One of those that make you think how he made it to the 7th rd.

For me it was the 2014 WJC when the Czechs beat Canada in OT in the round robin... Pastrnak & Kase were really buzzing and causing the Canadians fits.

Last edited:

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Feels like every Ducks game scoresheet I see these days is just Henrique, Kase and Ritchie every game.

It's annoying because I have Getzlaf in fantasy and he's not doing anything :laugh: Seems like the Henrique line has great chemistry though.

Reactions: KEEROLE Vatanen

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
So the Ducks will likely have a better pick than the Leafs this year... I wonder if they'd have any interest in swapping picks this year. Maybe the Ducks can rebuild their whole prospect pool in a draft :D

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Real good player.

Is probably David is a Flyers prospect with just as much potential too.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
That's some top notch diminishing you're doing there. How many former 7th round picks are scoring at a .70 PPG clip while playing on a third line? My guess is not many. Kase is fourth in scoring on a team that has Getzlaf, Perry, Fowler, Lindholm, Rakell, Henrique, Silfverberg, and Montour. "Everyday player" is not a fair descriptor. "everyday players" don't score at almost a 60 point pace while being 19th on their teams in TOI/G.

Also I don't think anyone thinks a first rounder with 30 points in 43 games is a bust...

Haven't Getzlaf, Fowler and Lindholm been injured for portions of this season? And didn't Henrique just get there? And hasn't Perry fallen off a cliff in his veteran age? Isn't Montour himself still new to the NHL, like Kase? He's definitely had a very good season but I imagine the Ducks struggles have played a role in his being fourth in team scoring.

Ducks do work wonders with the draft and develop method. Especially in later rounds.

Lyons71

Jun 27, 2003
Fullerton, CA
Visit site
As I don't get to see much of Kase, what are his main skills?
Works really hard, average skater, above average hands. Thinks the game really well and manages to be in the right spot a lot. He’s always relevant when on the ice.

Downsides: he’s small and doesn’t have super high speed or skill to help offset his small size. He still manages to do ok in the corners because he’s creative, but can never deke through Dmen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->