Once again, Russian "emigres" drafted in late rounds

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
It's easy to point finger at the agents, and there is a reason, but another problem is within also.

I've been, and continue to be, very critical of VHL. It seems to me that VHL teams have their own agendas which doesn't include player development.

The 2 biggest, not the only, examples this year are Rubtsov and Kostin.

What is this crap?

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
This is his master plan? Force players to pay back the money?

Rotenberg sounds like a big idiot.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Notice that slimebag oligarchs like Rotenberg always use the logic of capital to make their decisions.

It's never a question of what can be done for players so that they are happy with their development and willing to stay at home.

Now they're going to introduce regulations against agents, which may or may not keep players at home. It will most likely just limit players' options, and contribute in no way to improving their development path.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
@Fantomas

Read whole article I posted + google other articles about the topic.

They want to build rinks, teach coaches, make better conditions for player development (one methodics for all country for example), develop student hockey. That is all what I remember, perhaps I miss something.

Players moving to NA is a problem, agents are problem, so it must be solved as well. Of course, it is not only problem.

KHL has been preparing development strategy, FHR is doing something similar. KHL should approve it at the end of this season, FHR after summer.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
They want to build rinks, teach coaches, make better conditions for player development (one methodics for all country for example), develop student hockey. That is all what I remember, perhaps I miss something.

Of course they say that. But their discourse is revealing. They are vague on player development, clear on capital.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
@malkinfan

Read this meeting of Russian Council of Sport. Especially what Arkady Rotenberg (de facto boss of FHR) said, that is a plan how FHR wants to change Russian hockey.

By foreign club he means CHL or NHL.

The biggest problem is that Russians are drafted to NHL out of CHL clubs. So they have to play CHL, NHL team can not send them to AHL. So many bad examples, but players still dont get it.

The best option is to stay in Russia until you are 22-24 years old. Tell me, how many AHL games have Zaitsev play? Or Radulov or Kuznetsov or Tarasenko or Panarin. On the other hand, we have Tolchinsky or Barbashev and co. Bad, bad and bad decision.

Absolutely true! Use Ovechkin as a case in point. His hockey development is funded entirely by Dynamo, but when his talent and skill are ripe, he is plucked away to the NHL, where he has generated billions of dollars in pay out from merchandise sales alone to rich NHL owners who invested not a kopeck in his development, but cashed in on all of the value.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Absolutely true! Use Ovechkin as a case in point. His hockey development is funded entirely by Dynamo, but when his talent and skill are ripe, he is plucked away to the NHL, where he has generated billions of dollars in pay out from merchandise sales alone to rich NHL owners who invested not a kopeck in his development, but cashed in on all of the value.

Yeah, I have said it many times here - NHL not respecting euro contracts (& not paying market value for euros) is bad for development of world hockey. European clubs dont have money to develop the hockey, dont have elite players which generates money (merchandise, TV rights), dont have money for selling their best players to better leagues/clubs. And they invest a lot of money to develop the players & getting nothing. Perhaps it is OK model for Swedes or Finns, but not Russians. Even Swiss have problem with it (latest example of Chris DiDomenico), but can not do nothing.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
It's easy to point finger at the agents, and there is a reason, but another problem is within also.

I've been, and continue to be, very critical of VHL. It seems to me that VHL teams have their own agendas which doesn't include player development.

The 2 biggest, not the only, examples this year are Rubtsov and Kostin.

What is this crap?

Why cant the KHL teams come together and fund 2 or 3 shared "farm teams" to enter in the VHL. Best young prospects can play on the teams from all of the KHL, KHL teams make the agenda - purely development purpose. Or why not an U-20 entry in the VHL? Even this one team could vastly improve the situation.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Just noticed in Belarus not only do they have the U20 team in the top league but also an U18 and U17 team in the 2nd league. If Russia has an U18 team in the MHL again and U20 team in the VHL, watch how many more kids stay and thrive

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
I doubt VHL execs would go for that. This de-values their league, makes it look like a developmental league, instead of a legitimate, professional league.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I doubt VHL execs would go for that. This de-values their league, makes it look like a developmental league, instead of a legitimate, professional league.

VHL has been taken over by FHR last summer, but the issue with U20 NT in VHL is about KHL team management not willing to do that, which is understandable, as they need their U20 guys themselves.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
I have some sympathy (but not much) for the KHL adhering to a "business model," if you could call it that, but not the VHL. They make no pretense at being international - they are a domestic league that cannot survive financially without some help from the RHF. Its not as if an U20 team will win a league championship or something. A successful U20 team would be good for the hand that feeds them.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
VHL has been taken over by FHR last summer, but the issue with U20 NT in VHL is about KHL team management not willing to do that, which is understandable, as they need their U20 guys themselves.

Thanks for clarifying, but poor excuse by the league if thats the case. There are few exceptions where a team "needs" their U20 guys like Samsonov and Kaprizov. There are more than enough guys in limbo who could skate on that team. It could have prevented Rubtsov from leaving to the CHL. Kostin, Kayumov etc. who knows, maybe even guys like Abramov and Sokolov could consider it an option for next season for example. IMO it could save a lot of prospects from going to the CHL. It would be a great offering to these guys. Rotenberg and other execs talk a big talk but why not offer something big for the players.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
I have some sympathy (but not much) for the KHL adhering to a "business model," if you could call it that, but not the VHL. They make no pretense at being international - they are a domestic league that cannot survive financially without some help from the RHF. Its not as if an U20 team will win a league championship or something. A successful U20 team would be good for the hand that feeds them.

You are right, I cant believe this has not been brought to the table before. Benefits all parties involved - the NT, the player, the KHL team and not most unimportant - the fans. Think of how entertaining that hockey would become, I would watch every last game.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Thanks for clarifying, but poor excuse by the league if thats the case. There are few exceptions where a team "needs" their U20 guys like Samsonov and Kaprizov. There are more than enough guys in limbo who could skate on that team. It could have prevented Rubtsov from leaving to the CHL. Kostin, Kayumov etc. who knows, maybe even guys like Abramov and Sokolov could consider it an option for next season for example. IMO it could save a lot of prospects from going to the CHL. It would be a great offering to these guys. Rotenberg and other execs talk a big talk but why not offer something big for the players.

Just we had a case before with the U18 NT when Metallurg didn't want to let Shvyryov go and Dynamo didn't let Yegor Zaitsev go and there was nothing that could be done about that.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
You are right, I cant believe this has not been brought to the table before. Benefits all parties involved - the NT, the player, the KHL team and not most unimportant - the fans. Think of how entertaining that hockey would become, I would watch every last game.

I would watch as well! It is interesting that in advance of the 1980 Olympics, Team USA played a full schedule in the Central Hockey League, a minor pro league in the middle geographic zone of the USA, that actually counted in the standings. That feature ensured that the pro teams wouldn't treat them like exhibition games, and take it easy on the junior teams. Many American coaches believed that that experience had the experience of toughening Team USA up so that they would be better capable of coping with Olympic pressures.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Just we had a case before with the U18 NT when Metallurg didn't want to let Shvyryov go and Dynamo didn't let Yegor Zaitsev go and there was nothing that could be done about that.

Like I said Kaprizov I can understand, but cant wrap my head around an MHLer not being permitted to play on an U20 NT in the VHL for 1 maybe 2 years. I especially think teams will understand if it results in more guys NOT going to CHL. How many guys will each team lose from there system, maybe 1 per team, thats not even an issue. Again - Kostin, Rubtsov Kayumov are guys who could have played big minutes on the team this year and instead were given minimal roles elsewhere.

Also the U18 team made it work, Im sure MHL squads did not want to lose players to the team but it was only for 1 year, small sacrifice to make if you ask me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->