On March 8th 1937, Habs legend Howie Morenz died at the age of 34

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
On March 8th, 1937, Montreal Canadiens legend Howie Morenz died of a coronary embolism after having had his leg broken at the Montreal Forum six weeks earlier. He was 34 years old.

A true legend of the game, Morenz was widely considered the best hockey player of the first half of the 20th century. When the Hockey Hall of Fame opened in 1945, he was one of the original nine inductees.

iPqF5NU.jpg

Morenz in the hospital:

uPy3ggq.jpg

His teammate Aurèle Joliat sits beside his teammate's empty locker room stall after Morenz's death:

eTuOz2s.jpg

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Interesting story here on his life.

The Stratford Streak, one of the Habs legends.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
My beer league team could beat the 37 Habs.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
Maybe, but in 1937 your beer league would be as bad as a team of 6 year olds today.

As a point to add to this, I was reading a comment from one of the first Canadian Olympic hockey players. He said they won, but it was kind of unfair since they were using risers ... in other words, shots that weren't flat on the ice.

The game was a lot different back then.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
It's strange seeing Joliat looking at the locker cause I always thought Morenz had been traded when he died. Hence the Legend saying "He died of a Broke heart".

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
As a point to add to this, I was reading a comment from one of the first Canadian Olympic hockey players. He said they won, but it was kind of unfair since they were using risers ... in other words, shots that weren't flat on the ice.

The game was a lot different back then.

That's crazy! So most of the guys couldn't even lift the puck. All the Canadian goalie had to do was cover the ground and hope they didn't accidentally lift the puck.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
That's crazy! So most of the guys couldn't even lift the puck. All the Canadian goalie had to do was cover the ground and hope they didn't accidentally lift the puck.
There was a time when goaltenders were actually penalized for going down to the ice to stop a shot.

dzd ncnfzd

Aug 8, 2007
It's strange seeing Joliat looking at the locker cause I always thought Morenz had been traded when he died. Hence the Legend saying "He died of a Broke heart".

He died of an embolism, complications from his broken leg.
He died of "a broken heart" is the legend because he knew he would no longer play...

And its not wholly due to the medical care at the time, I had a class mate that died in hospital after breaking his femur in a motor bike accident in the '60's, it can still happen.

Apart from the link above, there is a good synopsis of the Morenz story in D'Arcy Jenish's book on the Canadiens ("100 Years of Glory") a must read for any serious Hab's fan to get the feel for the team's and the NHL's history. (To not forget "The Game" by Ken Dryden also, an also must read....I must read that at least once a year, nostalgia!!)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad